Anti-Gay Email Campaign Floods Electronic Arts

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

DVS BSTrD:

Zachary Amaranth:

DVS BSTrD:
Didn't you hear? Gay love scenes caused the Reaper invasion.

Now, if you said "caused the Mass Effect 3 Ending," you'd have support. >.>

No that was illegal Quarian immigrants.

They come into our space, they bring their Johnny Foreigner cultures, they take our ship parts.....

They call themselves "the family association" and with that name alone they spread their hate as if their group name excuses their evil intentions.

Zachary Amaranth:
I'm always glad to see important issues like fake gay marriages in a fake universe get the attention they deserve.

you sir have made my day

RT-Medic-with-shotgun:
Alright then- Family values nutters, time for a Lesson in the economy.

When you DO NOT BUY THE PRODUCT TO BEGIN WITH you cannot boycott it. If i disagreed with the giant pink dildo company, i cannot boycott them because i do not buy the products. Similarly if you do not buy games you cannot boycott them.

actually a lesson in economy to you: by not buying the product that you otherwise would you are boycotting it automatically.

Funny how this happens just after they are declared the worst company in America.

I see you EA. I see you.

For once, thumbs up for EA. I've hated on EA for as long as I can remember. Not just because of all the bullshit lately (the DLC, the project $10, etc; I'm sure you all are aware). I think a lot of the games they release are pretty garbage (not necessarily Bioware, just EA in general). But I'm glad they are sticking their ground with ME3.

mass effect 1 got flank for just having mild sex cutscenes, and there was no trouble for mass effect 2, yet both games have guy sex in them. there is only one main difference in ME3: male on male relations. idk if its a double standerd, or if they just didn't realize that gay relationships were available in ME2, but it must be pretty offencive to gay people

if this is genuine (which it most likely is) then I can say nothing but wankers gonna wank.
but i am reminded of that ea marketing scheme for dantes inferno were they hired fake protesters to pretend to be offended by the game. I wouldn't put it above ea to do the same again.but if this is genuine they can go and fuck themselves.

I'm sick of Bioware shoe-horning a gay romance into everyone of their games.

For some reason these "Family Values" activists give the impression they're the type of fat lazy parent who just sits their kid in front of a television all day.

Religious parental groups... One of the many tumors of society.

cpt blackamar:

Simonoly:

cpt blackamar:

Because last I checked no-one could really associate themselves with being a disappointing ending, whereas plenty of people can associate themselves with being gay, because they are. By trying to get the gay part removed, it's setting a clear "no gays allowed" sorta vibe, whereas changing the ending, or adding bits on after doesn't have any such connotations

I was waiting for someone to try and draw parallels between the controversy with the ending and this. I knew it would creep up somewhere, just maybe not on these forums.

I was hoping that it wouldn't be here too, but plenty of people just don't get why people are angry at the ME3 ending, and so assume that their anger is as valid as those of bigots. All I say is listen to the arguments made, and you'll see the difference.

[sigh] We can only hope to educate ;-)

You should see the Gamespot forums regarding this very same issue. It's very funny if not slightly worrying.

tehroc:

I know right! The only thing worse is the way they keep forcing hetero romances into their games, there's one in ,like, every game! Geez Bioware, way to cram your straight lifestyle down our throats.

Somehow they missed the mass murder part of the game, but they got upset over 30 seconds of same gender characters kissing. For the record i don't mind either of these things in a game.
Fuck off Florida Family Association.

Captcha: think twice. hmm..

Ladies and gentlemen, your Worst Company in America, defending same-sex relationships.

Convenient that this "flood" of anti gay emails comes now.
Funny to see EA on full damage control mode lately.

RT-Medic-with-shotgun:

albino boo:

RT-Medic-with-shotgun:

When you DO NOT BUY THE PRODUCT TO BEGIN WITH you cannot boycott it. If i disagreed with the giant pink dildo company, i cannot boycott them because i do not buy the products. Similarly if you do not buy games you cannot boycott them.

Why is their point of view any less valid than that of those poeple complaining about the ending of ME3? I don't I agree with it, but they are as just entitled to express to their point of view as anyone else. How do you know the private opinions of other players, have you empirical data saying only liberals buy games? My experience of online play seems to suggest that there is rampant homophobia amongst hardcore gamers.

By and large the family values groups are older people. There is rampant homophobia among the internet. The main difference is once off the internet they usually don't go apeshit about how evil gays are. And just because you find loads of homophobia on CoD and WoW, doesn't mean the #1 buyers of the product are family values conservatives. The family values groups tend to have memberships that shun gaming. Why? Because it corrupts kids into satanist violence. Not all conservatives are like that, but family values groups tend to get the ones with the most violent moral panics.

And no. They are no sharing an opinion. They are sharing an idea they think to be fact. They hold it to be irrefutable fact that gay people are evil. That is not an opinion to them. They view it as honest fact and any other point of view to be a lie to destroy christian values. Yes they have a right to speak, but that doesn't mean they should not be argued against. Their point of view is less valid because it is a misguided belief in direct opposition of facts. It is willful denial of facts proving them wrong, that gay people are not evil. It is a hateful opinion linked to biblical morality. ME3 rage is over an ending that may not even have come with the game, story content CRITICAL to the ending they made that was locked away for 10 bucks ion the disk, and the appeared clusterfuck that was the ending before they cut to the epilogue. Not to mention that actual clarification as to what went on in that ending was not on the disk.

One of these is a case of being ripped off by a company, the other is a case of being stuffed full of hate by parents.

Actually, I offer that they are indeed stating an opinion rather than something claimed as fact.

For example, why can you not f_ck in the street? No, seriously. Why is it that if you and your consensual partner whip off your clothes and get your freak on in the grass next to the sidewalk, armed government enforcers will come to beat you into submission and throw you in a cage for it? All to the cheering approval of the general public.

Why? Because that is considered an obscenity. Offensive. Nasty. Immoral. Whatever bloody descriptive you wish to attach to it. Street f_cking can be defended with the exact same arguments that fill this forum page but I doubt it will find quite so many defenders. Same goes for bestiality, pedophilia; the list goes on and on.

Obscenity is an opinion. When enough people agree on it, we make it a law. To a great many people, open homosexuality is obscene. Given that the pro-gay community failed to carry a public vote in California of all places, I'd say the majority agrees that is still an obscenity. That is an opinion. Share or disagree, take it to the ballot box and get over it.

Sounds like those anti-gay groups don't think being gay is a choice after all. I think they're afraid that they're gay, and that's why they're boycotting the games.
Which isn't really something to be too afraid of, but I'd like to see how they'd react to such an idea.

I think I should write a letter to EA and BioWare specifically and express my increasingly growing concern with what the company is teaching our children.
My friends, those who played Dragon Age or Mass Effect should know this by now, but...
They have sex with their clothes on...

Nicolaus99:

RT-Medic-with-shotgun:

albino boo:

Why is their point of view any less valid than that of those poeple complaining about the ending of ME3? I don't I agree with it, but they are as just entitled to express to their point of view as anyone else. How do you know the private opinions of other players, have you empirical data saying only liberals buy games? My experience of online play seems to suggest that there is rampant homophobia amongst hardcore gamers.

By and large the family values groups are older people. There is rampant homophobia among the internet. The main difference is once off the internet they usually don't go apeshit about how evil gays are. And just because you find loads of homophobia on CoD and WoW, doesn't mean the #1 buyers of the product are family values conservatives. The family values groups tend to have memberships that shun gaming. Why? Because it corrupts kids into satanist violence. Not all conservatives are like that, but family values groups tend to get the ones with the most violent moral panics.

And no. They are no sharing an opinion. They are sharing an idea they think to be fact. They hold it to be irrefutable fact that gay people are evil. That is not an opinion to them. They view it as honest fact and any other point of view to be a lie to destroy christian values. Yes they have a right to speak, but that doesn't mean they should not be argued against. Their point of view is less valid because it is a misguided belief in direct opposition of facts. It is willful denial of facts proving them wrong, that gay people are not evil. It is a hateful opinion linked to biblical morality. ME3 rage is over an ending that may not even have come with the game, story content CRITICAL to the ending they made that was locked away for 10 bucks ion the disk, and the appeared clusterfuck that was the ending before they cut to the epilogue. Not to mention that actual clarification as to what went on in that ending was not on the disk.

One of these is a case of being ripped off by a company, the other is a case of being stuffed full of hate by parents.

Actually, I offer that they are indeed stating an opinion rather than something claimed as fact.

For example, why can you not f_ck in the street? No, seriously. Why is it that if you and your consensual partner whip off your clothes and get your freak on in the grass next to the sidewalk, armed government enforcers will come to beat you into submission and throw you in a cage for it? All to the cheering approval of the general public.

Why? Because that is considered an obscenity. Offensive. Nasty. Immoral. Whatever bloody descriptive you wish to attach to it. Street f_cking can be defended with the exact same arguments that fill this forum page but I doubt it will find quite so many defenders. Same goes for bestiality, pedophilia; the list goes on and on.

Obscenity is an opinion. When enough people agree on it, we make it a law. To a great many people, open homosexuality is obscene. Given that the pro-gay community failed to carry a public vote in California of all places, I'd say the majority agrees that is still an obscenity. That is an opinion. Share or disagree, take it to the ballot box and get over it.

While they view homosexuality as an obscenity they do view it(as a fact) unnatural and evil. That's a staple of homophobic family values groups. while they hold the view that it is obscene they think it as solid fact. Why? Well in the USA, family values groups are generally christian. They get this from the bible. They also tend to be social conservative meaning that homosexuality is unamerican because it violates the nuclear family. While it could be an opinion in our eyes, they view it as fact. The way family values groups tend to agree evolution is an opinion.

Strazdas:

RT-Medic-with-shotgun:

actually a lesson in economy to you: by not buying the product that you otherwise would you are boycotting it automatically.

But they would not buy it period. As said before family values groups tend to be the moral panic idiots that think D&D is demonic to this very day. They would not have bought to begin with. They never participated in the market so how could a boycott be held?

I don't really understand these people, I mean I completely understand why homosexuality makes them feel uncomfortable. What I fail to process is this whole save the children thing, I mean they do know that of these thousands of parents a certain percentage of their own children are homosexual right? I mean that's just a statistic of numbers, what exactly I don't know but are they saying they love their children enough to protect them from homosexuality when thats just what they are...I mean that's like protecting them from sex in general, its a driven desire which parents should understand because duh, they had kids and that involves sex.

This protective logic doesn't seem to actually help anyone that they care about because if their children are not gay learning that homosexuals have relationships together in the real world will not make them gay and if they are well...doesn't that make them more comfortable then living in a closet?

At the heart of the subject isn't the comfort and well being of said family's the root of the concern?

Further more gays have been around for thousands of years, they don't disappear because we make it socially unacceptable which again doesn't make any sense to do. I don't ask straight couples what nasty things they are doing to each other in the privacy of their own bedrooms, this seems to be natural among straight people, so why do they care that homosexuals are doing the same thing that they don't need to know about?

I feel bad for the children in these family's that their parents don't actually care who they are only what they are suppose to be in their eyes.

this makes me laugh and then makes me depressed.

What? They might boycott? Oh no! We all know that bigoted right-wing wackadoos were Bioware's target demographic! Now they'll have to starve!

In all due seriousness, they're gonna have to do a lot better than sending a few emails and threatening not to buy games that(let's be honest)most of this group wouldn't be buying anyway to shake Bioware at all.

This sorta hits me where I live because personally,as a bisexual, the ability to role a bisexual character GREATLY enhanced my roleplay experience and ended up making the Dragon Age series one of my all-time favorites. I would be DEEPLY offended if Bioware took the option out of future titles purely for political reasons.

And I know that sounds silly and shallow, but before Bioware there weren't a lot of games that gave this kind of option, and the one's that did generally offered it as a footnote, or a couple of lines dialogue. Bioware's games not only give you the option to have sex with the same gender, they also give you the option to have RELATIONSHIPS with the same sex. Not just kinky hot lesbian action. Not just Hawke and Anders brokebacking in his Hightown Estate. Legitimate(albeit fictional)relationships. Personally I think that it's a very important and very progressive thing for both the gaming community, and the LGBT community.

But let's be honest guys, if Bioware ever really did remove same-sex content, or choose to discontinue it, the counter-boycott would be much worse(in that it would actually affect sale's figures. At all.) So really these guys can kick and scream and cry all they want. I don't see this having much of an affect on Bioware's game plans

-snip-

(sorry for the double post. Accident.)

Yeah, e-mails. A load of people completely outside ME3's target demographic "protest" by sending e-mails. Like that will work.

It's sad and pathetic enough when these people target real-life people. But a game, that isn't real? Come on -_-

Strazdas:

RT-Medic-with-shotgun:

I already explained this to be wrong. But I can explain it again: boycotting doesn't mean not buying something, it's the act of not buying or consuming as an expression of protest. And for such protests to have any meaning you have to be part of the initial market that would buy or consume in the first place, or at best lead others who are part of said market away from it.

Orekoya:

Audacity:

RT-Medic-with-shotgun:

So let me get this straight. To boycott a company you first have to buy it's product?

That doesn't sound retarded to you?

I boycott games like CoD and the likes and I never buy them because...well I boycott them. That's the point of a boycott.

Why are you boycotting all the products sold in the other galaxies?
Why are you boycotting all the products sold in the other dimensions?

Boycotting isn't just not buying the product. A boycott is an act of voluntarily abstaining from using, buying or dealing with a person, organization or country as an expression of protest. If you never had the intention, desire or ability of buying the product, any type of said product or any variation of the said product, then you aren't really boycotting it. And saying you are is meaningless. The only way to give the meaningless boycott any weight is to influence those who would be in the market for the product to not purchase said product.

To put it simply, Florida Family Association isn't EA's target market to begin with, nor were those who they got to "boycott". Likewise by being a gamer, you are part of CoD's target market so when you boycott it, it is boycotting.

Realitycrash:

Audacity:

RT-Medic-with-shotgun:

So let me get this straight. To boycott a company you first have to buy it's product?

I boycott games like CoD and the likes and I never buy them because...well I boycott them. That's the point of a boycott.

Yeah, but if you never bought them to begin with, and never planned to, your boycott is sort of hollow and doesn't affect the market. Just like these christian groups most likely won't buy the game anyhow.

RT-Medic-with-shotgun:

Undeadpool:

RT-Medic-with-shotgun:

I think they're trying to rope people who MIGHT buy it into not buying it. Which is even funnier.

In any event, not half bad for the most reviled company in America. Nice job, whiners!

I didn't vote for them.

Audacity:

RT-Medic-with-shotgun:

Been a long time since 7th grade social studies but as i remember it in order to boycott something you need to have been a buyer to begin with. You don't just roll up to a market you just found, say "i am boycotting you" and expect to have any fucks given. Even if the definition is different than i remember, a boycott when you never participated in the market is hollow and ineffective as hell.

I played #1 and 2. Never bought them. But I refuse to buy any of them. Not worth my time or money. I'm also boycotting the bus system here lol.

I love that since open racism is no longer tolerated, bigots now sling their shit at gays. I mean, I'm sure the organizers of that 'Family Values Foundation' or whatever the fuck still have their Klan rallies on weekends, they are just aware enough to recognize that most people wouldn't approve of their white robes.

Well, it won't be long before homophobia goes the way of the Dodo, and these people will than have to hate on extra-terrestrial forms of life or something. Can't wait to hear how the existence of microbial life on Europa is a threat to " 'merican" family values.

Poor EA, even when they do something RIGHT they get flack for it.

Audacity:

Orekoya:

Audacity:

Why are you boycotting all the products sold in the other galaxies?
Why are you boycotting all the products sold in the other dimensions?

Boycotting isn't just not buying the product. A boycott is an act of voluntarily abstaining from using, buying or dealing with a person, organization or country as an expression of protest. If you never had the intention, desire or ability of buying the product, any type of said product or any variation of the said product, then you aren't really boycotting it. And saying you are is meaningless. The only way to give the meaningless boycott any weight is to influence those who would be in the market for the product to not purchase said product.

To put it simply, Florida Family Association isn't EA's target market to begin with, nor were those who they got to "boycott". Likewise by being a gamer, you are part of CoD's target market so when you boycott it, it is boycotting.

Realitycrash:

Audacity:

Yeah, but if you never bought them to begin with, and never planned to, your boycott is sort of hollow and doesn't affect the market. Just like these christian groups most likely won't buy the game anyhow.

RT-Medic-with-shotgun:

Undeadpool:

I think they're trying to rope people who MIGHT buy it into not buying it. Which is even funnier.

In any event, not half bad for the most reviled company in America. Nice job, whiners!

I didn't vote for them.

Audacity:

Been a long time since 7th grade social studies but as i remember it in order to boycott something you need to have been a buyer to begin with. You don't just roll up to a market you just found, say "i am boycotting you" and expect to have any fucks given. Even if the definition is different than i remember, a boycott when you never participated in the market is hollow and ineffective as hell.

I played #1 and 2. Never bought them. But I refuse to buy any of them. Not worth my time or money. I'm also boycotting the bus system here lol.

You played but did not buy. Still a hollow boycott. Even then you are not abstaining from use of the product you are just pirating it. If you use a product without paying that's not boycotting, Boycotting is the abstaining from doing business with someone and using their product. Meaning to boycott EA you need to cease doing business with them and not use the product. Me, i have been passively boycotting EA for several years. I do not pirate them, i do not buy from them, and i do not use the products they produce or develop. That is boycotting. Saying "I refuse to buy X because of Y, so i will boycott EA and pirate the game" means nothing. The boycott is invalidated because you still use the product.

OlasDAlmighty:
Poor EA, even when they do something RIGHT they get flack for it.

Gotta say i do like how most people seem to have ceased fire on EA due to this. Since they shot back t them they have been getting some pretty good PR. Even i shelved my hate for them until this blows over.

orangeban:

tehroc:

I know right! The only thing worse is the way they keep forcing hetero romances into their games, there's one in ,like, every game! Geez Bioware, way to cram your straight lifestyle down our throats.

They are all really shitty too. Pick the right 3 options and they jump into your pants. That's really moving. Wouldn't it be awesome if our real romances were that simple?

superbowlbound:
I would have figured gay groups would protest because Shepard suddenly chose to be gay in the third game after being straight for the first two...

Don't recall Shepard ever saying they were straight in the first two. Wasn't aware the option even existed. Also wasn't aware that Shepard had any homosexual males to even speak to about it.

tehroc:

orangeban:

tehroc:

They are all really shitty too. Pick the right 3 options and they jump into your pants. That's really moving. Wouldn't it be awesome if our real romances were that simple?

I know that when I meet a possible boning partner, first thing I do is try to figure out if they're paragon or renegade!

"Hmm, will this person appreciate me being nice, or being a dick?"

So funny, being that you only had a gay relationship if you wanted to. So if you had a straight relationship in the game then you would never have seen the gay relationships anyway.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here