Sony Teases a New God of War

Pages PREV 1 2

Foolproof:
....if this teaser is or God of War IV, why does the background image of the message have dials and gauges?

Oh gods, steampunk Kratos! AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!

Haha, I've never even been one to hate the series, but I do find this ridiculous.

Take a xanax Kratos.

Well, the stated purpose of the God of War games was to explain why people don't worship the Greek gods anymore - they were all dicks and ended up getting killed by Kratos, apparently. And now the world is all jacked up because of Pandora's plagues, with only Hope being there for mankind.

And so, my lame-ass plot proposal is that some dude will get superpowers from this magical Hope crap and will resolve to stabilize the clusterfrack that Kratos left the world in, perhaps even killing the man himself. Along the way minor/lesser Greek gods will get in the way, trying to assert dominance since the main pantheon is mostly gone. Since they're all weaker, we have a feasible reason for this new protagonist to not be on divine steroids like Kratos was.

Wasn't there already some vague trailer about what could possibly be the 4th game? With Kratos being the narrator and implying there was another person that he may have trained or something?

Or was that a fan trailer? Or another game altogether?

In any case, I am so looking forward to this game!

Pfft...

Everyone's saying Norse, or Egyptian.

Fuck that.

I want to see him take on the Hindu Pantheon!

It'd be entertainment almost completely untapped by current media and would be awesome! Seriously! Look at that and tell me that wouldn't make an awesome boss fight!

And think about how colourful and visually unique it'd be!

WanderingFool:

*clears throat*

Though I see it being a Co-op possible game, with the other player being Jesus and they both take down countless Romans.

I haven't played God of War. I don't have a PS3. I would get one. Just. To. Play. That. Scene. Someone, please. Make it happen.

Hrm.. just wildly speculating here. Yes it does seem that this might be tied to God of War with the URL, plus how the font is made with "splatter" on the font.

However... Note the color of the image being yellowish brown. There also seems to be either a theme of glass or water.

Now this suggests to me, Kratos going south of the Med to fight the Egyptian Gods, with the color being reflective of either papyrus or sand. Whole new pantheon for him to tackle.

Also, in an odd thought, again the use of the color of the image, in conjunction with the font set, plus the wording of vengeance sort of evokes the imagry of the old west for some reason but fuck if I know how they would pull that off.

Anyway, I like playing Speculation, even though I am usually wrong. Sometimes I do end up calling it. Both of those concepts offer some intriguing possibilities, although I am truly intrigued at the concept of Kratos in the Old west now.

varulfic:
I hope God of War 4 features a new protagonist, and the last boss is Kratos. The guy has it coming.

Mr Companion:
Here is what I hope the plot of this one is: The massive cataclysmic state the world was left in at the end of 3 ends up with small rugged island tribes living on mountain tops created by the flood. Storms are frequent and the world is bleak, however the elements have found new hosts in the Norse gods who rule the island tribes and they live up to their predecessors in ferocity. Kratos, still surviving because of Hades soul/hope nonsense/resurrection by third party is seen as a new problem and is promptly hunted by the new gods for good reasons. Then chaos begins again because its funny that way.

Commence Giants/Ragnarok/Valkyries/Giant wolves and tons of "RAAAW!"

How about we combine these two? Like, you play as a Norse avatar of the gods trying to take down the man who pretty much fucked over the world in a giant temper tantrum?

Anyway, if there is a new one, and you have to fight the Norse gods...I'll be pissed. I don't care how good the game turns out to be, I'd hate it just for that principle. It was hard enough killing the Greek pantheon, as I grew up on Hercules and stuff like that, and...I wouldn't be able to handle the Norse. Egypt, maybe, but not the Norse. :c

Chicago Ted:
Pfft...

Everyone's saying Norse, or Egyptian.

Fuck that.

I want to see him take on the Hindu Pantheon!

It'd be entertainment almost completely untapped by current media and would be awesome! Seriously! Look at that and tell me that wouldn't make an awesome boss fight!

And think about how colourful and visually unique it'd be!

That would be cool, having to fight Shiva and Genasha and such...as long as they stay the FUCK out of the north.

I want what I wanted ever since I saw that bonus video after beating GOW1, with the black helicopters.

I want a 'modern' God of War with assault rifles chained to his wrists. Please.

viranimus:
Hrm.. just wildly speculating here. Yes it does seem that this might be tied to God of War with the URL, plus how the font is made with "splatter" on the font.

However... Note the color of the image being yellowish brown. There also seems to be either a theme of glass or water.

Now this suggests to me, Kratos going south of the Med to fight the Egyptian Gods, with the color being reflective of either papyrus or sand. Whole new pantheon for him to tackle.

Also, in an odd thought, again the use of the color of the image, in conjunction with the font set, plus the wording of vengeance sort of evokes the imagry of the old west for some reason but fuck if I know how they would pull that off.

Anyway, I like playing Speculation, even though I am usually wrong. Sometimes I do end up calling it. Both of those concepts offer some intriguing possibilities, although I am truly intrigued at the concept of Kratos in the Old west now.

I agree that the image gives off a kind of Egyptian feel. I remember hearing that the original plan for the series was to have a game focused on a greek warrior, a game about an egyptian warrior, and a game about a norse warrior. The final plot twist was that the three warriors come together after destroying their respective religions and become part of the creation of a new religion as the three wise men at Jesus' birth.

Although I don't really expect to see the wise men thing happening, my first thought when I saw the image was that they may be going back to the greek, egyptian, and norse warriors, this being the egyptian one. I love Kratos, but he really has had his moment and I would be much more interested in seeing another protagonist.

Bah considering how over the top the god kills were in GOW 3 and how you kill everything and destroy the world whats left to do in sequel?

"Will Vengeance Bring Redemption?"

No. Hell no.

Daniel from Extra Credits said it best: Kratos is nothing more than an evil git. I don't care about him or the series as a whole any more.

Fox242:
I have two ideas about where this could go (It will be God of War IV that will be announced next week...it better be!).

1. Kratos fights Chaos itself. In the end there can only be Chaos and he has to fight Chaos to allow humanity to recover from the destruction of Olympus.

2. He fights the Norse or Egyptian gods who are trying to muscle their way into Greece to take over after the destruction of Olympus.

3. It's an entitrely different character in an entirely different uiniverse. Maybe the games will take an anthology approach.

I just want more God of War. I've been waiting anxiously for an announcement for months. The wait had better be over!

This is pretty much what I think about this. I see #3 as being the most likely and probably the best game they could make. Or should I say, a combination of 2 and 3. Have us play a Norse warrior fighting against Thor and Loki. That could be great.

Wait what...?
where else could a writer go with a character like Kratos who murdered everyone and their cats (unless kratos turns out to be the new big bad for ANOTHER TRILOGY... dear god, I hate trilogies)?

I dun need it. Besides, with Kid Icarus: Uprising, we already have God of War 4: Baby's first God of War

DVS BSTrD:

Is there even anything left to kill in that universe?

Hahaha! That picture is brilliant! What movie is it from?

OT: I never really cared for the GoW franchise.. I thought the 3rd one was supposed to be the end? Bah, multimillion dollar franchises never end..

Dr Jones:

DVS BSTrD:

Is there even anything left to kill in that universe?

Hahaha! That picture is brilliant! What movie is it from?

No Country for Old Men.
The picture is the basis for the infamous De-Motivational poster meme
Implied facepalm

The remaining Greek gods and monster can't hold a candle to what you were after in 3.

So as fun as it may be to kill Dionysus and Demeter they should probably leave ancient Greece.

Although come to think about it killing Demeter would fuck over humanity way more than anyone else.

TJC:
Wait what...?
where else could a writer go with a character like Kratos who murdered everyone and their cats (unless kratos turns out to be the new big bad for ANOTHER TRILOGY... dear god, I hate trilogies)?

I dun need it. Besides, with Kid Icarus: Uprising, we already have God of War 4: Baby's first God of War

I've said it before Kratos would actually make a really good villain.

You wouldn't even have to change anything about him, not his attitude or what he's done or his backstory or anything. Just give him a sticker that says "Hi I'm the antagonist" and you're done.

Although it doesn't sound like he will be which is a shame.

I guess this means Kratos is going to kill the fucking planet itself, since nothing else is living on it anymore.

... And then maybe the Moon. Kratos... in... SPACE!!!

Father Time:

TJC:
Wait what...?

I've said it before Kratos would actually make a really good villain.

You wouldn't even have to change anything about him, not his attitude or what he's done or his backstory or anything. Just give him a sticker that says "Hi I'm the antagonist" and you're done.

Although it doesn't sound like he will be which is a shame.

True, Kratos as villain wouldn't be that bad, although I'd call them out on the Prototype rip-off. Still, I would prefer a fresh setting and some fresh characters. Somehow, the Norse mythology is just as bonkers as them Greeks and provides a whole new slew of slaughterable gods and goddesses. But alas why create something new when you haven't milked an old franchise to death quite yet?

varulfic:
I hope God of War 4 features a new protagonist, and the last boss is Kratos. The guy has it coming.

From what little I've heard that's what they're leaning towards. New protagonist might be Kratos's brother hinted at multiple times in the third one.

Oh great. Just when the industry was FINALLY ridding itself of Quick Time Events once and for all...

Abandon4093:
To everyone saying all the Greek Gods are dead.

Never heard of the Primordial Gods I guess?

This. All that's left is for Kratos to destroy the very elements of the Earth itself, then have an epic bossfight with Chaos at the centre of the Earth.

Olympians - Check
Titans - Check
Protogenoi - Check

Can Kratos survive in space?

Saving that, can we return to that special unlock of Kratos' demonic brother rising up for vengance?

Azure-Supernova:

Abandon4093:
To everyone saying all the Greek Gods are dead.

Never heard of the Primordial Gods I guess?

This. All that's left is for Kratos to destroy the very elements of the Earth itself, then have an epic bossfight with Chaos at the centre of the Earth.

Olympians - Check
Titans - Check
Protogenoi - Check

Can Kratos survive in space?

Saving that, can we return to that special unlock of Kratos' demonic brother rising up for vengance?

Having said that they made Gaia into a Titan. Dunno how they'd work around that. Considering she was meant to be the mother of the titans.

Father Time:
The remaining Greek gods and monster can't hold a candle to what you were after in 3.

What about Nyx? Chronos? Uranus? Chaos?

There's a whole other pantheon of Greek deities that weren't even mentioned in GoW.

Mike Kayatta:
And let's not forget the smattering of job postings that have pointed at multiplayer inclusion this time around.

Ugh good way to kill a good thing. Making single player games with forced multiplayer components has more times than not, hurt the final product for trivial gains. Curse of the mutliplayer and the multiplayer addicted ADD fan base strike again. Sigh.

Including multiplayer /= good game automatically.

Considering that Kratos goes through three games with a monumental death wish, and ends the third one by gutting himself wide open with a sword bigger than he is, I think it would be really lame to bring him back. The way the GOW saga currently ends, it has appropriate touches of a traditional Greek Tragedy, complete with familial slaughter and suicide. Kratos got his vengeance, but he had to kill himself in order to complete it. That's where they should leave it. The GOW series stands as one of the only mainstream franchises that ends on a downer. It would be far better, IMO, to leave it and keep it unique in that regard.

If they really feel they cannot do without making another installment, then the Roman pantheon is the only way to go. The Roman gods are taken directly from the Greek gods, and so there is that essence of continuity which would allow them to explore (and slaugher) that Pantheon. Something along the lines of "Those pesky Romans have resurrected the Greek gods with their beliefs, and Kratos now has to finish the job once and for all." Anything else would be nothing more than forcing a character into a completely unrelated mythology, and would be fanfiction of the worst kind. Kratos knows nothing of Egyptian or Norse gods. Hell, the Norse Gods weren't even around at that time. The Greek/Roman pantheon he has a personal connection to, something to validate his acts of violence against them. Putting Kratos up against Osiris and his ilk would be no better than those terrible monster movies where the producers paired up the likes of Godzilla and King Kong for the sake of terrible, terrible entertainment.

God of War 4, God of War Four, God of War Thor? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...

Would be a weird concept though, is Kratos immune to aging?

God of War: Ascension. A prequel.

Well, so much for that!

EDIT: How come this hasn't been updated or there hasn't been any other news regarding this? I mean this in the most sincere and respectable way: I hate to go to other sites to find out about game news...

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here