Bethesda Announces The Elder Scrolls Online

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

I'm not sure how to feel about this.
1) not a big MMO fan, but a HUGE TES fan
2) It sounds interesting, but probably won't be
3) I want it to be good, but it probably won't be

oh, who am kidding, I will buy this the second it's released.

I wonder two things:
1. How modding will work. Modding is too huge of a part of TES to ignore. My guess would be players are able to mod aesthetically however the want, maybe create their own instance-like areas for them and their friends to enjoy.
2. Guilds. Rising up through the Mages/Fighters/Thieves Guild is another huge part? Will there be separate guilds for the three factions? Will one player actually be the head of a guild?

rolfwesselius:
The engine their using allows for real time creation of buildings which could be interesting if thats used

That would be awesome, and damn do I hope its utilized. being able to buy a plot of land off another player, building supplies, and make a house wherever? Fucking awesome. Player-created towns anyone?

>HERO ENGINE, SAME AS SWTOR
>300 MILLION DOLLARS -INITIAL- INVESTMENT
>BUDGET HAS PROBABLY BALLOONED SINCE THEN
>NOT COUNTING ADVERTISING COSTS
>6 YEARS IN DEVELOPMENT
>ONLY CYRODIIL
>PVP FOCUSED, THREE FACTIONS

I'm not getting my hopes up, it sounds like the titanic. When it's this big of a venture, It'll crash and burn or it will get a lot of subs up front, be disappointingly ordinary, then slowly fizzle out over a year or two like Star Trek, AOC, WAR, and most recently SWTOR.

The biggest red flag is being PVP focused, which is what WAR was advertized as and had a huge fanbase that was left disappointed.

Nurb:

>HERO ENGINE, SAME AS SWTOR
>300 MILLION DOLLARS -INITIAL- INVESTMENT
>BUDGET HAS PROBABLY BALLOONED SINCE THEN
>NOT COUNTING ADVERTISING COSTS
>6 YEARS IN DEVELOPMENT
>ONLY CYRODIIL
>PVP FOCUSED, THREE FACTIONS

I'm not getting my hopes up, it sounds like the titanic. When it's this big of a venture, It'll crash and burn or it will get a lot of subs up front, be disappointingly ordinary, then slowly fizzle out over a year or two like Star Trek, AOC, WAR, and most recently SWTOR.

The biggest red flag is being PVP focused, which is what WAR was advertized as and had a huge fanbase that was left disappointed.

It isnt only cyrodiil

the war is over Cyrodill, but we will get to go everywhere.

Also just because there are three factions doesn't mean its PVP focused.

Another great single-player RPG bites the dust. Yeah?

craddoke:
Another great single-player RPG bites the dust. Yeah?

Considering Bethesda isn't making the MMO, it isn't like they cant continue making single-player Elder scrolls.

Mike Kayatta:

Story details are predictably sparse at this point, but Zenimax Online, the studio developing the game, has revealed that players will be attempting to stop/survive Deadric Prince Molag Bal's effort to suck the world into his demonic realm of demons for what is, most likely, some sort of demonic purpose.

Can't say you'll survive (but since it's an mmo, you probably will)... but given that it happens 1000 years before an existing game... I can only assume you did stop it.

I'm not a fan of the TES series... so I'll pass.

But then again... I'm not a fan of Star Wars... but I played that MMO...

And just like TOR I expect it will be over-hyped and implode.

So it's not being developed by Bethesda?

Wow. This one might actually work properly. Kinda interested now.

Welp. I guess Elder Scrolls VI will never happen then, seem as Bethesda will now have to spend all their time keeping this running. I am disappoint.

NinjaDeathSlap:
Welp. I guess Elder Scrolls VI will never happen then, seem as Bethesda will now have to spend all their time keeping this running. I am disappoint.

ugh........................

BETHESDA IS NOT MAKING THE MMORPG ZENIMAX IS

How can people be this thick-headed.

This is the New Vegas was made by Obsidian not Bethesda thing all over again.

Its like people just read "Elder scrolls MMO" then ignore the entire article.

Next people will be saying doom is being made by Bethesda.

I'd love to play this if it's well-made. But this better the hell not mean the end of solo TES games.

The mechanics of this will need to be slightly different than most MMOs, methinks. A huge part of TES games has been exploration, and if Bethesda wants to keep their whole fanbase, they'd better not abandon exploration in favor of where you are being dependent upon your level.

And there was much rejoicing.

Regrettably, since I probably won't even be able to run GW2, doubt I'll be able to run this.

It'll probably be monthly, too. That'll hurt me.

I'm afraid, very afraid. I've known this was coming for a long time, ever since they started hiring MMO developers a few years back and I've been thinking of all the ways the loot and weapon systems could be adapted, along with quick travel systems. I'm hesitantly hopeful that Bethesda can pull it off, but most likely it will suck as hard as Skyrim without mods on the PC, worse it could be extremely boring and suck like Oblivion without mods on the PC.

captcha* meat and drink

Ya, taverns should have something worth while to do with your friends.

noahpocalypse:
I'd love to play this if it's well-made. But this better the hell not mean the end of solo TES games.

The mechanics of this will need to be slightly different than most MMOs, methinks. A huge part of TES games has been exploration, and if ZENIMAX wants to keep their whole fanbase, they'd better not abandon exploration in favor of where you are being dependent upon your level.

Fixed that for you

Bethesda
is
not
making
the
game

Hmm.

I've always liked the fact that my Elder Scrolls experience is entirely single-player, and would be absolutely horrified if they ever threw a multiplayer element into any of the main series games. And the last time one of my favourite series went MMO, the result was something that I found completely unplayable. So... why am I thinking "holy shit, this will be amazing"?

My only question is, is it going to be like most mmo's the dreaded mouse click rts style gameplay or will it hold true to elder scrolls gameplay style?

Wow, it's coming out soon. Interesting. I'm definitely intrigued by this, but I have the feeling I won't play it, primarily because I don't play MMOs. I'm really interesting in seeing Elsweyr, though I would rather finally see it in TES 6.

Bloodstain:
Please. Let this game have a first person perspective.

I beg you.

In a world of enabled PVP, being in first person when third person is an option will gimp you.

Being stuck in first person... I'd rather just play a shooter. No mobs to worry about, only other players.

This might not be bad if it plays similarly to previous TES games and/or Mortal Online(an MMO which is first person and has TES-like combat). If they turn TES into a 'typical' MMO, however, I can imagine it not even vaguely embodying the aspects of TES that its fans enjoy. If they use a standard questing system, that could ruin the open world focus of the games. Something like Guild Wars 2's dynamic events could work pretty well for a TES game, however.

Praise the Nine!

Was wondering if/when this would happen ever since I heard they had aquired the domain name. If it's got that Elder Scrolls feeling than I see myself playing this... Probably far too much.

I wanted Coop not an MMO. I wish Bethesda wasn't going this route. There is nothing more risky then an MMO.

I never ever play MMOs. This is my exception. I might need to butter up my friend who works at Bethesda for subscriptions because I can't afford paying for them :/

shameduser:
I wanted Coop not an MMO. I wish Bethesda wasn't going this route. There is nothing more risky then an MMO.

Bethesda isn't going this route... Zenimax is.

Now why'd you go have to do a thing like that.

Why does an MMO have to be a WoW killer? As long as it's reasonably successful and fun that should be good enough for anyone. Not even blizzards next project will kill WoW. The only way to actually kill WoW is for Blizzard to turn the servers off, and even then some fan will start up their own.

SajuukKhar:

shameduser:

Bethesda isn't going this route... Zenimax is.

Well then that makes more sense. I've never trusted Zenimax, with their shifty eyes and their heavily starched suits.

This could work.

Especially if they use Skyrim combat, which, while nothing spectacular in the first player area would be ground breaking in the MMO area.

So basically I am cautiously optimistic. The fact that this takes place before Skyrim and not after is also a good sign.

Can't say I'm too happy about this, because now elder scrolls will literally be frozen with the mmo coming out. Expect the next single player elder scrolls in 10-12 years. Even if its being made by another company I highly doubt they will release a single player to compete.

Zeckt:
Can't say I'm too happy about this, because now elder scrolls will literally be frozen with the mmo coming out. Expect the next single player elder scrolls in 10-12 years.

Its being made by zenimax online not bethesda.
READ THE ARTICLE BEFORE SAYING ANYTHING

EDIT: sorry just saw you added something.

I guess I saw this coming, can't say I'm surprised, but I'm dismayed. Why? Well...

check out this article:

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/elder-scrolls-v/1222757p1.html

Zeckt:
Can't say I'm too happy about this, because now elder scrolls will literally be frozen with the mmo coming out. Expect the next single player elder scrolls in 10-12 years. Even if its being made by another company I highly doubt they will release a single player to compete.

Skyrim sold millions of copies even if it competes they will still sell milions upon millions of copies anyway

rolfwesselius:

Zeckt:
Can't say I'm too happy about this, because now elder scrolls will literally be frozen with the mmo coming out. Expect the next single player elder scrolls in 10-12 years.

Its being made by zenimax online not bethesda.
READ THE ARTICLE BEFORE SAYING ANYTHING

EDIT: sorry just saw you added something.

I did, and I don't see why you are in such denial. There is still a high possibility of single player elder scrolls being frozen that you need to see, just because the mmo is made by a different company does not change that. It is VERY unlikely to release a new elder scrolls game because they will wait for the mmo to finish up its lore, which could end as stupidly as warcraft with its space alien race.

Zeckt:

I did, and I don't see why you are in such denial. There is still a high possibility of single player elder scrolls being frozen that you need to see, just because the mmo is made by a different company does not change that. It is VERY unlikely to release a new elder scrolls game because they will wait for the mmo to finish up its lore, which could end as stupidly as warcraft with its space alien race.

the game set 1000 years before skyrim, they dont need for it to finish before they make games set after skyrim

there is this thing in the Es series called a dragon-break that lets them do anything they want with the plot.

ZENIMAX ONLINE=/=BETHESDA STUDIOS

Read...
please.

SINGLE PLAYER WILL NOT BE AFFECTED.

No go sit in the corner and think.

SajuukKhar:

NinjaDeathSlap:

ugh........................

BETHESDA IS NOT MAKING THE MMORPG ZENIMAX IS

How can people be this thick-headed.

This is the New Vegas was made by Obsidian not Bethesda thing all over again.

Its like people just read "Elder scrolls MMO" then ignore the entire article.

Next people will be saying doom is being made by Bethesda.

Hell, go look at the Dishonored comments on videos. Theyre hilarious.
Seriously...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or