DC Says One Of Its"Iconic" Heroes Is Gay

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Odbarc:

Winnosh:

Odbarc:
Robin!

which one?

The one with the green speedo and says "Holy" too much.

Oh so you mean the robin from the old TV show aka not any of the comic book characters who have had the title robin.

The Batman and Robin argument won't stick, as Robin is his son now. Still, they already have a very well written Lesbian Batwoman. Don't know why we need a gay Aquaman (we all know it's him).

Jack and Calumon:

Calumon: So is gay people liking the same people as them like boy and boy? Why's that a big deal?

I'm with Calumon on this. Also, shame it isn't Wonder Woman. Heh.

This has probably been said about 100 times already in this thread but...

He should totally change his name to Sea-man!

Royta:
The Batman and Robin argument won't stick, as Robin is his son now. Still, they already have a very well written Lesbian Batwoman. Don't know why we need a gay Aquaman (we all know it's him).

Plus if you make Batman gay now his past history with the 'boy wonder' rather than be seen as a standard homosexual relationship would be borderline pedophilia. Kind of doubt DC wants to go there.

you know what would have been even better: don't turn it into a huge announcement. just have bruce wayne wake up next to a man at some point and watch the fan rage.

"iconic" my ass!
they just revealed its going to be a character who wasnt seen in "the new 52" yet and is a male!
so unless its the atom its going to be some 2 tier hero at best! not exactly iconic like superman or batman!

hmmm,
Superman: Lois lane- no
Batman: Gotham Sexual plus Catwoman and Talia- no
Green Arrow: Black Canary- no
Flash: Think he's dating some girl after breaking up, don't keep up so- no
Aquaman: Married with Mera and has a kid- no
Green Lantern- Don't know much about his reboot but he's had good amount of past relationships- maybe no

Dont' know enough about Wonder Woman, Hawkman, or Martian Manhunter so maybe.

Waaghpowa:
I bet Batman. Him and Robin, Come on guys!

That would explain the nipples on the Batsuit.

My money that they will cop-out of this somehow...

My bet goes something like... "Martian Manhunter is tecnically gay since he can shift his form and has chosen a male appearance and mannerisms but he is attracted to a male human"

Ok, it's early in the morning and I haven't had my coffee yet but that's probably in the ball park, I'll come back with a big "AHA!!!" if I'm right.

Waaghpowa:

arc1991:

Waaghpowa:

Neh, if going by Arkham City, he has a thing for Catwomen and Talia Al Ghul.

There are plenty of cases in which someone had heterosexual sex, had children then came out. The fact that Batman had a relationship with Talia isn't indicative of his heterosexuality.

Some times it takes a persons entire life to come out after trying to do what society considers "normal".

What you say is true, but at the moment you're projecting real situations upon a fictional character who was created decades before the ways of our current time. If we were to assess batman/bruce according to the personality and character he has been depicted as thus far, he doesn't exactly strike me as the type of person who does things according to the "norms" of society or anyone else's standards. Separate him from the justice league and think about it. He is a vigilante. According to Gotham law, the status of vigilante is illegal. In the beginnings of batman, he was hunted down and feared by the people he sought to protect. Not exactly a person who bends to the standards of anyone else. Also, Talia isn't the only woman in the DC universe he has had a relationship with. He has also had a relationship, of sorts, with Selina Kyle/Catwoman yet those aren't the only women he has had sex with. You should check out All-Star Batman & Robin.

Also, if the type of relationships, that people pursue are not at least partially indicative of their sexuality then what is? Don't people pursue what they prefer? (Btw, I'm asking this in a serious manner, not with the intention to provoke. I've had too many people respond negatively to my questions and comments on these forums lately so I'm trying to be as polite as possible)

OT: I'm betting Superman is gay. I always thought he was gay, speaking politically correct of course.

Winnosh:

Oh so you mean the robin from the old TV show aka not any of the comic book characters who have had the title robin.

Beg to differ.

And that's just Jason Todd. Someone's forgetting the Silver Age...

Batman or Wonder Woman. Although I could see them making Aquaman gay for sales.

And yeah, Batwoman is a lesbian. So they already have her. Maybe it will be a male hero for this reason.

Totally Wonder Woman.

This is just plain unnecessary. Regardless of the DC relaunch, DC characters have years of thoroughly established back-stories. To make a straight character homosexual merely for the sake of publicity tears down the character's background and will alienate readers who cannot accept the change. That is not going to help comic sales.

On a side note, Hawkman. I'm calling it.

My money is on aquaman

For me, Batman was always, well, not heterosexual or homosexual as such.

I always figured he had a sort of unhealthy relationship to sex...
He definitely isn't cabable of normal relationships.

Oh fer f*cks sake... "Hurrr, durr, let's milk this cow even more and use some backward writing. Money, money, money..." :|

I don't know who it is, but now I have to think up a bunch of really stupid gay puns for each superhero. Anyone mind giving me a hand with this?
OT: It's probably the Flash. Or Robin.

Aquaman. Gotta be Aquaman.

Seriously though, I wouldn't be completely surprised if it was Superman. The guy's got a girl swooning over him which he never acts on, he spends his time fighting gangs of thugs (are there any female bad guys in Superman?) and they can work it in, saying it's not an issue on Krypton and the ratio of homo- to heterosexuals was much closer to 1:1 than on Earth.

I don't think it's Batman, he's supposed to be a Billionare Playboy and he's seen with a different woman in every movie. But Superman has the same one each time and nothing ever happens. Eh? Think about it guys.

Waaghpowa:

Let's face it, it's not going to be Batman. But I want it to be so badly...

*continues harboring secret hope*

"Flash" wasn't already gay? Mind blown...

Fappy:
I just hope DC handles it a bit better than Marvel's recent attempts. Young Avenger's Hulkling and Wiccan can be hard to watch sometimes. Its one of the most cliched romances I have seen in a comic book. It seems writers forget how to utilize subtly when trying to send the message "HEY CHECK IT OUT! THESE TEENAGE SUPER HEROES ARE GAY!" Yeah, we get it. Don't understand why their relationship has to be 100% of their characters though (at least in Hulkling's case... Wiccan has some other stuff going for him).

/rant

yeah but they also have she hulk (bi) and karolina from the runaways as a decently characterized lesbian character.

Although its obviously going to be aquaman.

fifty dollars says it's Aquaman.

Gorilla Gunk:
Come one, we all know it's going to be Aquaman.

Because of his vast experience at saving seamen?
*badum tish*

Sure, it seems like DC are simply trying to keep up with society (especially since Obama's announcement) but hey, it's still something. I think what really matters is how/if that affects the character himself, if people react different towards him, any character development directly related to his sexuality, etc. If they play that out well, and realistically, I think no matter the initial reason for making this decision, it'll be some great progress.

Thespian:

Winnosh:

Beg to differ.

And that's just Jason Todd. Someone's forgetting the Silver Age...

Not talking about the speedo thing, I'm talking about the holy thing practically every super hero ever has a speedo as part of t heir costume.

Jack and Calumon:
Snip

I don't think it's either. Batman has had Talia Al Ghul and Superman has Lois, but even with that out of the picture, DC wouldn't DARE making either of em gay. The backlash would be immense.

Antari:

trty00:

Antari:
This will go over about as well as Online DRM. They couldn't have come up with a new superhero? They had to change an existing one. Alienating part of those readers, so another group of readers can feel better about themselves. Great choice DC!

The only thing that changes is the sexuality. The only people that would feel alienated by a gay character, are homophobes. And... a homophobic fan of SUPER HERO COMICS? Really? Just... think about that one for a minute.

The only thing is the sexuality? So you obviously don't have any gay friends or if your gay, any straight friends. Because I do have gay friends both male and female, and they live a different lifestyle than I do, quite different. Oh and yes I have friends who are gay, I guess that makes me the biggest homophobe the planet has ever known!

What I have a problem with is one, people like you. Guessing that you know who I am and all. And two, people changing things to appeal to a "wider" audience. If they were going to be an audience, they would be already. There's absolutely no reason they couldn't have written up a new hero. Instead they decide to change up an existing one, with an existing fan base, whichever hero that may end up being. Its totally unnessisary for any reason.

Again, New 52, they're not changing up an existing character, a lot has yet to be established about the characters in this universe. They didn't reboot it just to leave everything the same.

This guy's take on it makes me think Green Lantern. If it doesn't go well, just kill him off and give someone else the ring.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/gay-batman_645764.html

Personally, I used to love comic books, but they have a number of problems at this time, and I don't see how you fix them. I stay away from the monthly comics, but will buy a graphic novel on occasion: something that is complete.

Flash. Definitely Flash.

Atom. Because they haven't introduced him yet (as in Ryan Choi) and he's the only 'iconic' hero left save Plastic Man.

Only other prediction is it isn't going to be freakin' Aquaman. He's got a smoking hot red-head wife who is currently mad at him for sneaking off with an old girlfriend. Of the new 52 he's the only hero besides Flash (seriously guys, your two main competitors for being gay are in active relationships with women, maybe widen the field) who's shown any sign of romance. Part of me wants it to be Batman, but as one of the writers said "Bruce's orientation is Gotham" so doubtful.

Though going off a post above

bahumat42:

yeah but they also have she hulk (bi) and karolina from the runaways as a decently characterized lesbian character.

Anyone noticed how there are quite a few good lesbian characters in comics? Batwoman's pretty mainstream in the DCU now, though I dunno what's up with Renee Montoya, the New Question, she still around post reboot?. Same with the Marvel examples, Karolina from Runaways is really well written and her boy/girlfriend Xavin is a fairly good look at transgender issues imo.

Batman is waaaaaaay too high-risk for this. It'll mostly likely be one where those in charge might expect the readerbase to shrug and accept it with the least resistance.

I'd say good for them, though I smell marketing scheme. As for who I think it is... eh, I'm just gonna wait and see...

I wonder... has the Martian Manhunter ever been to Uranus?

Anywho... if I was even remotely into DC comics(Batman aside), I would be in a bit of a nerdrage right now. Not so much because there's going to be a gay superhero, but because there is going to be a gay superhero as a result of an obvious publicity stunt. If it weren't, we wouldn't be hearing about this until the comic actually came out.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here