CD Projekt Red Reveals Cyberpunk

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

4173:
CD Projekt Red really cut to the chase with their game titles don't they?

Their next game will probably be called "RPG"

Color me excited! At first glance it felt like Deus Ex 4: Witcher, but then hey I look forward to this and hopefully they make it into something as deep, mature and excellent combat mechanic like Witcher 2.

... I just hope it doesnt turn into dragon age/Witcher 1 style RPG, but even if it does I will give it a chance!

AWESOME.

I played the original Cyberpunk paper RPG game and its successors for years - it was by far my favorite RPG. This is one of the most exciting game announcements I've seen in a long time.

As the old saying goes; Shut up and take my money!

I like cyberpunk settings, next to steampunk they are some of the more interesting universes. CD Projekt Red being involved just makes it more interesting.
I do not think I know anything about the Cyberpunk, cyberpunk setting however. Maybe I'll look into it.

All my Eurobucks for this

Knight Templar:
I like cyberpunk settings, next to steampunk they are some of the more interesting universes. CD Projekt Red being involved just makes it more interesting.
I do not think I know anything about the Cyberpunk, cyberpunk setting however. Maybe I'll look into it.

Quoted for saying what I was thinking.

To expand a little on a tangential line of thinking, I want more steampunk games to be made. Apart from the Bioshock series, I can't think of any moderately popular steampunk games that have been released since this console generation first hit the market.

Now, back on-topic: My opinion is that CD Projekt Red is one of the greatest developers currently in the industry, not simply because The Witcher 2 is a pretty brilliant game, but also for the way they actually treat customers and the way they've been running things over at GoG. So count me interested in this new title.

Getting all kinds of warm fuzzies from memories of the pen and paper game and love that others here know it, too. That being said, there's a kind of weird problem with this - a strong argument could be made for cyberpunk being dead. I mean, the first edition of that game - the first one I played, anyway, was set in 2013. In Neuromancer, arguably the work which defined and popularized the genre, Case starts out trying to sell "three megabytes of hot RAM". 3MB !

Don't get me wrong, I still have fun re-reading Gibson's Sprawl novels now and again, but what he and his contemporaries were writing about? Big chunks of it were big issues during the 80s but now are kind of non-issues. People becoming soulless through too much exposure to technology? Culturally we are so past this it's laughable. Embedding tech in your body? Why when we carry it in our pocket. Global zaibatsus are kind of quaint notion, back when everyone was convinced that pre-bubble Japan was wildly exotic and likely going to own the world. The Cold War fizzeled without going hot (thank heavens). Identity theft, computer viruses... these things are so hackneyed in our day-to-day grind that they barely raise an eyebrow on local news.

The modern world is so much weirder than cyberpunk envisioned. To be clear, I'm not at all down on the idea of the game. I love it. But do you think they should go for the nostalgia kick and do it all in true 80s style, with the concerns and relative ignorance of the day? Or do they update and work to bring the similiar themes to bear on modern technology. I feel like Deus Ex : HR took a reasonably good stab at the latter option, for good or ill. I'd like to see an attempt to make cyberpunk back in the day, when the net was a neon tron rip off (

Plus, so help me, it would be hysterically awesome to play a rockerboy when the idea was inspired by the Moscow Music Peace Festival and people actually thought musicians could make a difference Go Johnny Silverhand! Wooo!

*chuckle*

I'm guessing this is game is Cyberpunk? I'll be keeping taps on this one. I'm only wondering if there will be a game called Steampunk too... XD

captcha: good for nothing
*slaps captcha* Shut it!

Do I even need to say it? Don't you just have a teleporter in my wallet that beams them my sixty bucks?

So down with this. I love CD Projekt.

Hooray! I love what CDProjekt is doing, but I hate medieval fantasy so I wouldn't be throwing money at them for the Witcherdudes. But I love cyberpunk! Do it right, CDProjekt.

I'm very much looking forward to this. Between Shadowrun Returns and CD Projekt's Cyberpunk, it's looking like a good time to be a fan of the genre.

This is the best news I've heard all day.

Please be good. Please be good. Please be good. I'm in desperate need of a good cyberpunk RPG.

OMG finally the cyberpunk rpg comming to video games. its about damn time. i cant wait to explore night city gain :D lock and load people. friday night fire fight is comming :D

damn i hope they keep the detail from cyberware, weapons. the characters like johnny silverhand, alt cunningham and spider murphy.

i like cyberpunk as a genre but cyberpunk 2020 is something very special indeed. its very fleshed out.

i seriously hope though it doesnt get cut down for the console market.

Sounds interesting
Definitely will keep an eye on that

We need some more from Cyberpunk genre,
so we got thee Cyberpunk game.

josemlopes:

4173:
CD Projekt Red really cut to the chase with their game titles don't they?

Their next game will probably be called "RPG"

Oh you two! :)

Actually, in this case, since the game will be based on Cyberpunk pen and paper RPG, it's not the name of the genre here, but the game and setting itself, that happens to share the name with the genre. Like... Dungeons and Dragons. Or Vampire: the Masquerade (the World of Darkness would be more accurate here).

I have such fond memories of playing pnp Cyberpunk... But I remember the rules being slightly on the complicated and uncomfortable side, for me anyway. I hope CD Projekt will make them workable.

Really? It's called Cyberpunk?

Man I can't wait for that new film, "Romantic Comedy" to come out.
Or for the next book in the "Generic Tolkien Fantasy" series to come out.
Ooh, does anyone know the release date for "Third Person Shooter with RPG elements"? That looks awesome.

Heh. Okay that's all I got.

I just hope that Pondsmith isn't involved in the writing, unless they're going back to the system/setting's earlier versions because Cyberpunk V3 sucks sewage by the ton. Would've been better named 'Glee: The Tabletop'. If they stick with the 2013-2020 area, then I'm hopeful for a halfway decent game.

Have to wonder, though, if Pondsmith thought about doing this, or decided to do this, based on the response for Shadowrun Returns (which has already claimed my money in quantity).

And really... all those folks harping about the name, look it up; The original tabletop RPG was called Cyberpunk. The second edition was called Cyberpunk 2.0.2.0.

I love Cyberpunk and the witcher so I'm giddy with excitement!

Cyberpunk is my fav genre, so to say I'm excited would be an understatement.

Will definitely be checking this game out!

Do. Want. Time to start sending them money.

Valashar:

Have to wonder, though, if Pondsmith thought about doing this, or decided to do this, based on the response for Shadowrun Returns (which has already claimed my money in quantity).

Well CDP RED was building a team for that project long before KickStarter became a thing in video game industry (as in prior to DoubleFine's KS) really, so I doubt it's in anyway connected to Shadowrun's success. I'd guess they would need an OK from Pondsmith to even begin planning on it seriously.

I'm guessing it's mostly the fact that the good "old" cybeprunk setting was pretty much dead for last 15 years or so. Sure there been games and movies that brushed against the setting, but the cyberpunk of 80s and 90s had that very visible "punk" influence that got diminished over last decade. If you look at games like DeusEx, they were much more focused on hi-tech agents rather than the dirty and gritty aspects of low-life's pumped with cyber-implants, going crazy from the amount of tech in their bodies coupled with that punk/glam rock aesthetics.
There was no one like Johnny Silverhand in those recent titles.

If they manage to actually replicate some of the mechanics and world from CP2020, especially whole netrunning (hacking), with turn based attacks on firewalls, all those fancy apps that could turn netrunner into braindead plant by frying their brain, it could be really good game. Question is, how much of that can be fit in a single game.

Interesting. I really like the cyberpunk genre.

Wow, Mike Pondsmith. Don't think I've heard that name since the late eighties.

CD Projekt Red is probably an excellent choice for this sort of thing, they seem to have that Troika gift for putting together interesting games, and I appreciate their attitudes towards the business in general.

oh hell yes bring it on CD Projekt just tell me where my money goes

This sounds like the awesomest thing evar.

Now they just need to write a story as good as Rise of the Dragon and we will be good to go.

I used to play the Pen and Paper version of this, so i hope this goes well for them and i very much looki forward to it :)

(also having just played witcher 2 and really enjoying it this is even better news)

As long as this isn't "Geralt in CYBERSPAAAAAAACE" then I'll probably be very happy with this.

Also for those who have played the pen/paper game, is combat likely to be gun focused or melee? I ask largely because my biggest issue with CDProjeckt games is that I loathe the melee combat system. Which also happens to be the ONLY combat system...

And maybe they could actually do something trippy with the cyberspace side of Cyberpunk, which most games seem to ignore. Playing through something like the Straylight Run out of Neuromancer could be pretty awesome... dammit! Must... stop... getting... excited... about... game...

Alright everyone, Cyberpunk is a genre science fiction. Cyberpunk is also the name of a pen and paper RPG. The game is based on the pen and paper game, hence the title.

Ohh, cyberpunk. How nice.
Though another game set in America. Why, god, cannot we have more variation?
Set it in, I don't know, Germany or Britain or something. Maybe Russia, that would fit the cyberpunk genre very well. Anyway but more American protagonists fighting for America.

KefkaCultist:
Please be good. Please be good. Please be good. I'm in desperate need of a good cyberpunk RPG.

HAve you played System Shock 2? A very old cyberpunk game, but an amazing one.

Elijah Newton:

...The modern world is so much weirder than cyberpunk envisioned. To be clear, I'm not at all down on the idea of the game. I love it. But do you think they should go for the nostalgia kick and do it all in true 80s style, with the concerns and relative ignorance of the day? Or do they update and work to bring the similiar themes to bear on modern technology. I feel like Deus Ex : HR took a reasonably good stab at the latter option, for good or ill. I'd like to see an attempt to make cyberpunk back in the day, when the net was a neon tron rip off (

Plus, so help me, it would be hysterically awesome to play a rockerboy when the idea was inspired by the Moscow Music Peace Festival and people actually thought musicians could make a difference Go Johnny Silverhand! Wooo!

I think you make some good points, though I'd argue that it's less that those trends they were writing about became irrelevant and more that many of them came true, along with some interesting twists. The focus on Japan ended up being misplaced, but the idea of corporations becoming globe-spanning monstrosities wasn't. They're just not constrained by minor concepts such as nationality and keep their cash where it's taxed the least. Unlike most cyberpunk futures, we got both very powerful corporate interests and very powerful national governments. State power, rather than waning, has never been greater. The old Cold War might be over, but Russia hasn't gone away, and the West has been pinned down in minor but intractable conflicts for most of the last 20 years.

Most crucially, the theme of technoshock is still very much alive and well, even if it's less about remaking individuals and more about remaking society, though our individual behavior has been altered by it a great deal. As you noted, it's weirder in so many ways.

I do hope they go the retro route, though. So much of it is the look and the feel, and if they're bothering to use the old Cyberpunk RPG, they'd just about have to. If not, they'd be better served by starting from scratch.

Can't leave out the Rockerboys, though. They're like Bards, only with synthmetal tunes and SMGs.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here