EA Aims to "Broaden" Dead Space Audience

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Could someone please replace the EA Board of Directors with people who are competent? Much appreciated.

I think what they actually mean is: "Screw the fans, there's more money in making a shooter."

This hollywoodesque Gaming industry needs to fucking die in a fire. I can't take it anymore.

I am so glad that EA will never get their grubby hands on my precious Grand Theft Auto.

Basically, what he's saying is:

"The Cocaine trough is empty and we need an absolute crapload of money to fill it again. Because we've made utterly moronic decisions over the last few years desperately trying to be Acti-Blizzard, our slush funds are all empty too. The only even remotely AAA title we have in the works at the moment is Dead Space 3 so it has to bear the burden of pulling us out of the red"

And seriously, you morons who think the publisher gets 50% of the sale price (I'm not even touching the idiots who think 100% goes to the publisher... sheesh), you really need to look up some very basic principles of business.

5 million sales equates to about $135 million to the publisher, the rest goes to the stores. They've already paid for the game to be made when they green-lit it however many years ago that was, so on DS3 have probably been sitting at -$25 to -$30 million for a year now. Assuming at least as much spent on marketing (and yes, you DO spend that much if you're EA) means EA are looking to be $50-60 million out of pocket before a single copy hits the shelves. Going by other industries, you'd want to at least match what you've spent in profit, so they want to make $50-60 million on top.
The rest is greed and covering for their poor practices elsewhere.

Im not much surprised by the "We're streamlining this game to become more of a shooter to appeal to a wider audience", fairly common market strategy, unfortunetly. Especielly from EA.

But five million units? That number puzzled me. Some of EA's most massive titles havent sold in 5 million units, how do they heck do they expect Dead Space 3 to manage?
Something is seriously wrong in the way EA does buisness. Not just morally, but financially.

Vault101:

Blood Brain Barrier:

That might be true but you can't argue it wasn't dumbed down already. This should be a lesson to anyone STOP BUYING DUMBED DOWN SEQUELS. Doing so sends a message to EA and other developers that WE LIKE OUR GAMES BEING DUMBED DOWN.

how was it dumbed down? (Its been a while since I played DA1)

and I'll buy a game if I like it...regardless if some people think its dumbed down

-Much MUCH easier
-Talking and personable protagonist as opposed to a hidden, non-talking one
-Variety. People like variety, even if it spoils the atmosphere
-Take away the map and turn the game into a giant linear pathway

Blood Brain Barrier:

Vault101:

Blood Brain Barrier:

That might be true but you can't argue it wasn't dumbed down already. This should be a lesson to anyone STOP BUYING DUMBED DOWN SEQUELS. Doing so sends a message to EA and other developers that WE LIKE OUR GAMES BEING DUMBED DOWN.

how was it dumbed down? (Its been a while since I played DA1)

and I'll buy a game if I like it...regardless if some people think its dumbed down

-Much MUCH easier

Though, To be fair, how many people actually took the time to use the map system and not just do what I did- spam the locator system?

And I died a lot in DS2, especially on Zealot difficulty, even with epic tier weapons.

What a joke. I hope this flops, EA is going to run itself into the ground, I suspect.

5 million units in 3 months?
Yeah, maybe if you're Bethesda or Valve but right now everyone is turning their backs on you so you're REALLY gonna have to fucking try if you wanna push those numbers. Saying that you're gonna "Broaden the audience" (which is basically saying we're gonna take everything you liked about this series and turn it into Cover-based space shooter #12905) of a series, is a BAD way to do that.

I love the first Dead Space game, I was considering getting the sequel at some point this year. Now I'm wondering if I should bother.

So message from EA is buy the game and tell your friends and relatives to do so too if you don't want dead space to die a horrible death.

Wow, thats PR so sleazy i'm actually impressed by the ballsiness of it, "only 5 million copies".

oh look, and just like that any lingering chance of me buying this game have been stabbed in the face. What's with people's aversion to survival horror? Even if it was mostly just monster closet scares it was nice to have something like Dead Space lurching around and moaning. As it transitions into a full on action game I kind of hope this actually kills the franchise, if only to teach EA a lesson...which they'd probably ignore.

Why do people keep bringing up Mass Effect? I personally thought 2 and 3 didn't touch the quality of 1 ... but the simplification in 2 was a commercial success. The franchise destroying ending in 3 can hardly be scratched up to pandering to the lowest common denominator either, that was purely up to Mac Walters's ego and poor oversight (an ending which effectively kills the world for further games is never going to get approval at a managerial level, even if people who consider themselves artists lap that shit up).

Dragon Age 2 is a fine example though.

Iron Criterion:

Fireprufe15:
One does not simply broaden a game's audience.

There are different game genres for a reason. What's happening now is publishers and developers are melting all the different genres into one stale and overused one. Have fun crashing the video game industry, have fun.

With the state of the industry today, I'm left wondering if it crashing would actually be a good thing. The North American video game crash of '83 - '85 was followed by one of the greatest generations of the Golden Age of Gaming and by extent the NES; maybe if the same thing happened again it'd path the way for indie developers and actual innovation.

You've got a point there. Then again, that would mean a few years without ANY good games...

"We want to advertise to a broader audience". Copy, paste on google translate, set settings to: Translate from greedonia to english. Result: "We prefer moolah above artistic value."

Spaloooooka:

$30?! WHAT??
MASS EFFECT 3 SOLD FOR ~44.99!! THAT'S ~$70.01

Yes, $30/unit is a good estimate. Because that's what EA makes per game THROUGH RETAIL, and since EA makes most of their money through console sales (not Origin), they have to go through retail.

The retailer "middleman" hikes up the price per unit to what YOU see (~$70). That's the cost of going through retail.

(Of course, a point of obvious douchebaggery is that EA is still charging prices at parity with retailers online for Origin, even though they cut out the middleman with Origin.

It's their right to be sure, but they have no other reason than "Because we know you're gullible enough to buy it".)

Proverbial Jon:

Andy Chalk:
"In general we're thinking about how we make this a more broadly appealing franchise..."

Oh god... here we go again.

So to make a game have a "broad appeal" is really just PR speak for: Just make it a shooter.

Ever heard of the word genre EA? Go look it up, I'll wait... Yes, that's right. You made a game in the survival horror genre, not that anyone would know it.

The same thing happened to FEAR by the third installment and arguably Mass Effect 3 as well.

The videogame industry should be thinking about ways to make these individual genres more popular instead of diluting them further with the carcinogenic tumor that is the chest high wall.

Agreed sir! I've watched some good franchise travel this road to ruin, the most noteworthy being Mass Effect and that was extremely disappointing. Dead Space isn't a great survival horror game but it had some good ideas, its sad to see them fuck it up like this.

Raiyan 1.0:
Broadening DS3's audience, EA? Does that include my mom?

I giggled, then I punched my desk. Thanks for reminding me this.

Zeckt:
Dragon Age = Ruined
Mass Effect = Ruined
Dead Space = Ruined

And let's not forget C&C and the Ultima series. There really is nothing that EA can't ruin is there?

Until games like Call of Duty Gears of War and other big shooters stop making ridiculous ammounts of money, publishers will continue to replicate mainstream shooters in an attempt to earn big. We might say no-one wants this to happen to a great game but it DOES appeal to the unwashed masses (example black ops 2 massive preorders) and this saddens me deeply

You know how some game starts to sell 5 millions or more? It does something good. And then each sequel keeps getting better and better at it. The CoD series is a good example of casual shooter which kept evolving as a casual shooter (although now it's getting worse). Bethesda Elder Scrolls - open world RPGs that evolved and got better at being open-world fantasy sandbox. GTA, modern open-world game about criminal in a big city that got more and more robust and complex with each iteration.
Now, what EA doing is ruining Dead Space sales. Well, if it evolved as a survival horror until it became most well known and truly polished survival horror on the market - I could see it selling 5 million copies someday. As it stands now, DS3 will fail because casual shooter fans buy CoD and existing DS fans will abandon it to a degree. So it won't come close to DS2 sales.
The problem with EA and videogame industry is that executives don't know jack about stuff they sell and think that videogames are like shoes. They are not.

It goes like this - some guy in charge of making decisions remembers that he used to work on shooter XXX and it sold a lot - so if they make DS a shooter it will sell a lot. This logic works if you sell shoes, or cars, or even smartphones. This logic eventually makes you bankrupt in videogame industry.

hmm EA are pulling an EA...

Blood Brain Barrier:

-Much MUCH easier

1. I don't know abotu the difficulty thing, on one hand you have people sayings its hard, on the other people are saying its easy...hard to judge...I found it easy enough when I knew what I was doing but then I died plenty of times

2. a talking protagonist has nothing to do with dumbing down..this wasn't an RPG and I gues some peopel don't find a silent guy with a bucket on his head all that relatable...thats pure personal taste

3. and people complained about repetitiveness/back tracking in the last one didn;t they? linear is not bad in of itself....

We move one step closer to every single AAA game being the exact same thing. Not just similar, all the AAA games are fast becoming THE SAME GAME

Well I'm going to go ahead and transfix the "Stamp of Death" on Dead Space 3 now. To EA, 'broaden the audience' is just technical jargon for 'dumb down in order to reap the maximum amount of money.' It happened to Mass Effect, it's going to happen to Dead Space. Not a single fuck was, is, or will be given by EA, they just want more money.

Nurb:
TRANSLATION: "We're gonna sit on dead space's head and take a shitty shit shit!"

WHY do people keep giving them money and defend these big publishers (and publisher owned devs)??

These decisions aren't about making a good game, it's about meeting quotas and pleasing shareholders. This is why people lucky enough to be around during the golden age of gaming get so mad; people who make most of these games are no longer calling the shots on development, instead being ordered around by a corporate suit to meet sales quotas and then we have to hear the kiddies today keep repeating "entitled" when pointing out how bad the situation or product is.

I'd think not buying enough of their product would have more of a negative effect on them than any criticism anyone can make about the publisher.

*sigh*

Chalk up another series that EA has ruined.

bat32391:

Hannibal942:

Rocklobster99:
If there's one thing you can say about EA, it's that they never stop trying, even if it doesn't work.

W
T
F

Please tell me this is fake.

Also, captcha is "time lord" Ha!

Nope! This crap is real.

Suddenly, I'm not so sure about the Indoctrination Theory anymore (I watched a video supporting it and it made some pretty good points. Now it just seems like EA likes to piss people off). :/

UrieHusky:
This is why I'm glad I took Yahtzees mindset and stopped being a "fan" of any particular game series.

After all the time Squeenix spent slapping me across the face for being a fan of Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy it wasn't a hard transition, since then I've noticed just how often fans get exploited and worse completely betrayed in favour of money from different audiences.. it's a true shame

As for Dead Space, I won't lie it never really grabbed me (Mostly cause I'm a big girl who doesn't like paying to be scared, even if the game is apparently terrible at it) but it's still an incredible shame that they've gone the "mass appeal" route with it... I truly hope we can get past this so we can get back to having games made for people to have fun or a challenge.. like in the good ol' days!

*Shakes old man cane while wearing rose tinted glasses*

"A big girl"? Why does your profile say that you're male?

So let me see.

5 Million units = 300 million dollars at $60 dollars a game.
2 Million units = 120 million dollars.

So your telling me 120 million dollars cant cover the creation and distribution of a game, with a tidy profit? This isnt including the DLC we know is going to be in Dead Space 3. I... I mean CMON! No. This is "We can only keep an IP like this going if we make oooodles off of it."

EDITED

thethird0611:
So let me see.

5 Million units = 300 Billion dollars at $60 dollars a game.
2 Million units = 120 Billion dollars.

So your telling me 120 billion dollars cant cover the creation and distribution of a game, with a tidy profit? This isnt including the DLC we know is going to be in Dead Space 3. I... I mean CMON! No. This is "We can only keep an IP like this going if we make oooodles off of it."

your math is off by a few zeros

5 million units by 60 dollars each is 300 million

FelixG:

thethird0611:
So let me see.

So your telling me 120 billion dollars cant cover the creation and distribution of a game, with a tidy profit? This isnt including the DLC we know is going to be in Dead Space 3. I... I mean CMON! No. This is "We can only keep an IP like this going if we make oooodles off of it."

Just caught that. Thats what a 30 hour work weekend will do to ya :P Thanks man.

thethird0611:

FelixG:

thethird0611:
So let me see.

Just caught that. Thats what a 30 hour work weekend will do to ya :P Thanks man.

I know how that goes! can really lay you out!

and no problem ^.^

Thanks EA for killing an interesting franchise. Stay classy.

is it a fun game?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or