Assassin's Creed III Limited Edition for Americans Only

Pages PREV 1 2

I'm going to stand out as the exception to the compatriots of mine who're jumping around to proclaim loudly how much of a non-issue the balance of racial genocide is to them. To me it is something where I'd like to see some kind of balance. (historically, the British are suggested to have lost far fewer in fatalities, btw)

It's also an issue that so far they've shown nothing that suggests subversion of the common ideas about this war.

The ideas that the British had no plausible political perspective or reason for fighting in this war more nuanced or morally-understandable than 'hating freedom'; (that the British public were fully-informed and backed the war to the hilt) that the Patriots took on the total, fully-committed military might of history's largest empire in a straight-up battle to the last man (ala E3 trailer) and justice won against all the odds; (not, say: the British eventually getting sick of an inefficient, poorly-supported, politically and tactically unsustainable war) that France & Co stepping in couldn't have been about politics and keeping the Empire in check, ala Russia and China of today.

I'm a Norwegian transplant to the US so I'm sort of in the middle on this one. I'm not sure what the big deal is, but whatever.

I did however note that the flag in the picture looks like it is from cloth as opposed to a synthetic flag. If that's the case, then that looks like pretty awesome and I'll get it. If it's just a synthetic flag, forget about it. They are an eyesore to me.

What about the Templar's and Assassin's that get this edition, surely they'd be angry.

Sevre:

But hey, British people, if any Americans piss you off over this just remind them that they got their asses handed to them in the War of 1812.

But historians agree, British and Americans that the War of 1812 was a draw if anything. As do people who have actually ever studied it.

and yet, they don't want us to think that they're racist to Europeans?

seriously, this is crap.

Well, isn't that fun? Digging themselves into a hole like that. I'm still rooting for maybe a Chinese Assassin, someday it might happen.

I really don't understand how they've managed to go so wrong here.

The entire point of the game is there is no black and white, good versus evil, there are traitors everywhere, main characters, sub characters, mentors, and yet, in this, we're supposed to believe that every loyalist is working for the templars and every rebel some freedom fighter and Desmond now takes on the role of a revolutionary rambo.

What the hell happened?

Ehh...I'm not surprised about the fact they just released info about the LE. CoD did it last year, Borderlands did it, Resident Evil did it, it's kind of a trend now. Not that I like it but still.
However, I'm not paying over $100 for that. A figurine, a flag, DLC and a belt buckle? No, thanks. I've seen cheaper LE with more stuff than that (Batman, GoW, etc). As much as I love AC, I'm not gonna preo-order that one, especially since I'm sure it will go down in price a couple of months after its release because A) It's gonna come out during the holidays and B) Every single LE leftover goes through that. That's how I got the AC: Brohood LE, Batman, Castlevania, etc. It's a long shot, looking through all GameStops to see who has a leftover. But it's well worth it.

Now, what I did pre-order was Ezio's bladed gauntlet. I was thinking about doing one myself, what with the Youtube tutorials, but I'm just too lazy. So that works for me.

Sgtcrispy:

Sevre:

But hey, British people, if any Americans piss you off over this just remind them that they got their asses handed to them in the War of 1812.

But historians agree, British and Americans that the War of 1812 was a draw if anything. As do people who have actually ever studied it.

Historians are clearly divided on that and Canadians celebrate it as a victory. Now I'm not saying it was a British victory because it wasn't, neither side saw any benefit in continuing the war, but the shift in the war after the British ended their Napoleonic campaign and actually turned their attention to it is undeniable. Madison's terrible administration and economic disasterpiece were only tempered by Jackson's victories, the American navy and British apathy once they drove America out of Canada.

Sooo, We're going to have a game about killing loads of english people, portraying english people as evil, and then not going to release the special edition in england.

BUT WE'RE NOT RACIST!

i live in ireland and the gamestops here are selling these exact collectors editions...so..eh...yeah...not that i was ever going to get them but thats quite a dickish move on ubisofts part.

AmrasCalmacil:
Damnit, Ubisoft, stop making me hate you. The only way this game could bug me more is if they announce Mel Gibson as a voice actor.

There'd better be an option to dye my outfit red and murder tons of militia.

The whole 'It was a British civil war' argument really doesn't stand up. It's like calling the Indian Mutiny a British civil war.

Colonel Tavington I presume!

I'm seriously hoping that George Washington is secretly the master Templar, like Al Mualim was in the first game. Obviously that won't happen and I'll be forced to effortlessly slaughter thousands upon thousands of British soldiers.

The Lunatic:
I really don't understand how they've managed to go so wrong here.

The entire point of the game is there is no black and white, good versus evil, there are traitors everywhere, main characters, sub characters, mentors, and yet, in this, we're supposed to believe that every loyalist is working for the templars and every rebel some freedom fighter and Desmond now takes on the role of a revolutionary rambo.

What the hell happened?

I liked how one of the trailers has Connor telling a Continental soldier that the Patriots can fight their own war, he's only here for the Templars-and then in the very next trailer Connor is sailing a ship proudly bearing the Rebel colours and sinking half the Royal Navy.

Im British and I am not really offended by this. I am fine with killing Brits.
What does concern me is that rather than there being Templars on both sides it seems like they are pretty much just making it "MERRICAH!!! **** YEAH!!!". So far it looks like Brits are evil freedom hating monsters while the American fredom loving underdog America fights back against them and wins because freedom an America and blah blah blah etc etc etc...

This is kinda dissapointing. The gameplay has always been important and fun but story and setting has always been a big part of the series for me. I just don't see myself having much of an interest in what looks to be an American patriot rally.
Just the trailer with the main character running through the battlefield in open view of the British and singlehandedly killing their commander made me facepalm. It was so damn stupid, I know trailers like that are not supposed to be realistic at all but damn, that was just too much.

I was dissapointed by revelations which felt like they were milking the franchise and turned out to be kinda bad anyway so I don't have much faith in this seeing as it looks like it's going to just be
Brits = bumbling incompetent freedom hating rich evil assholes
Americans = Freedom loving, awesome best ever underdog who wins everything forever because MERRICAH!!!!

Killing Brits - not an issue.
Having leading bad guys in the British rows - not an issue.

Having to kill mostly Brits, and most bad guys being British - becomes an issue.

The whole goddamn game catering to American patriotism - Thanks, good bye on a pre-purchase.

We're somewhere in between 3.) and 4.) right now, aren't we?

The Plunk:

Imthatguy:
-snip-

The.Bard:
-snip-

zelda2fanboy:
-snip-

I don't think there are many British people that are offended by this. After all, we are aware that our ancestors were massive dicks.
We are, however, disappointed that a series which is usually quite historically accurate is dropping most of its historical accuracy in order to appeal to the "'MURRICAH! FUCK YEAH!" demographic. Or perhaps it's to stop Fox News from jumping on Assassin's Creed III as a "Forefather murder simulator!". Possibly both.

I think its more the latter.

You know what I find funny?

George Washington and many other Founding Fathers, were in fact Masons, a society that was suppose to have been founded by Templars, when they escaped to Scotland in the 14th century, after their order was disbanded because of the French King.

Kinda ironic really.

Sevre:
Although I'm not British, the entire premise of the game makes me quite uncomfortable, and a reflection on this whole controversy has resulted in me sympathising with Russian gamers who's own homeland is constantly portrayed as the bad guy in modern shooters.

I'm sure AssCreed 3 will sell well in Europe regardless, but patriotism is a shallow premise for a game, especially when combined with rampant ahistoricism i.e. completely glossing over the atrocities the Native Americans suffered.

I don't think anyone really gives a flying fuck that Brits are being killed; the problem is the constant pandering to Americans. I read an interview recently and the developers seriously made it sound like the PR department wouldn't allow them to show any Americans being killed.

Now, I do believe they'll be more balanced in the game, but the pandering is getting fucking silly.

There's really no logical reason to do something like this. Over 70% of a developers money comes from outside of America.

Fanghawk:

No one is expecting Ubisoft to release a European Limited Edition with a Templar-themed British flag alongside the true story of King George III

Haha, now that was good! Honestly, though, this 'outrage at Ubisoft' for depicting conor slicing up a Brit is getting a bit out of proportion. Ok, the Brits don't like being reminded how they lost that big chunk of land full of corn, but that was to be expected at some point. I bet you my guts that the next game is going to have WWII-setting and period, and I doubt any Germans, Japanese or Itallians will complain. That's not to say that the two wars and participants of both wars are identical! (boy I couldn't have made a worse analogy...). All I'm saying is that maybe people should let go of their patriotism hats for this one.

One of Many:
You know what I find funny?

George Washington and many other Founding Fathers, were in fact Masons, a society that was suppose to have been founded by Templars, when they escaped to Scotland in the 14th century, after their order was disbanded because of the French King.

Kinda ironic really.

Right, because AC3 has to be spot-on accurate with conspiracy-theorized beliefs of history.
Assassin's Creed is never 100% accurate. Did you ever hear about a Templar plot to assassinate Lorenzo Medici?

Anyway, EMEA territories get two limited editions of this game. Then we Americans get *one* and there's an uproar.
Kinda reminds me of the uproar over the game's setting.

Assassin's Creed 1: Woo! Middle eastern territories; sounds interesting.
AssCreed2: Italy? Awesome! Renaissance is cool.
Brotherhood: more Italy! Schweet.
Revelations: Istanbul! How exotic.
Assassin's Creed 3: WTF Ubisoft. Why do Americans get all the love!?!?

Seriously, you guys have two editions to pick from. When we get one, especially when the freaking game takes place in this country, it should not at all be surprising. In fact, it shouldn't be considered fair that you guys get two editions. But whatever. I'm happy with this edition we get.

Amnestic:
I don't have an issue with AC3 having the protagonist kill British people.

I have an issue with AC3 being marketed (and possibly actually playing) as Mel Gibson's The Patriot in game form.

The colonial rebellions weren't a cut and dry "Colonies=Good, Britain=Bad" situation and there was a whole lot of good and bad on both sides of the issue. Instead of appealing to the lowest common denominator, why not take that as an opportunity to perhaps educate your audience about history and hopefully spark them into action to look into it more themselves? Challenge their (pre-)established perceptions.

Fuck, just look at Assassin's Creed 1. Neither side was innocent of Templar corruption. Altair butchered Crusader and Saladin's men alike.

Assassin's Creed 1 was amazing. It was so amazingly subtle, you can't prove or disprove the events that happened in the game.
Then Assassin's Creed 2 when to shit with evil templurzzz and good, moral assassins.
Assassin's Creed 3 will continue this tradition. Fuck you, Ubisoft. So much potential.

I'm still hoping for a plot twist in which the British aren't absolute evil personified. It's probably not going to happen, but I can dream.

The patriot in me says I should buy the limited edition

Sevre:

Sgtcrispy:

Sevre:

Historians are clearly divided on that and Canadians celebrate it as a victory. Now I'm not saying it was a British victory because it wasn't, neither side saw any benefit in continuing the war, but the shift in the war after the British ended their Napoleonic campaign and actually turned their attention to it is undeniable. Madison's terrible administration and economic disasterpiece were only tempered by Jackson's victories, the American navy and British apathy once they drove America out of Canada.

Canadians celebrate it as a victory because Canada defended an invasion. In actuality it was a draw though. America's goal was to get Britain to stop screwing around with their trade, which they succeeded in, and while they failed their invasion of Canada they got a bit of "street cred" for challenging the most powerful nation in the world at the time and surviving. And no, historians are hardly divided on it anymore. Most agree it was a draw, because it was. You said yourself they both agreed to stop fighting as it was pointless.

This is just ridiculous. When the previous games came out, you didn't see people from Italy or the Middle East up in arms over their people being represented as antagonistic. Actually, come to think of it any video game ever. Even in the MW2 debacle, you didn't see Russians freaking out over their depiction in the game. On top of that, it's been stated that Connor will be fighting both factions during the revolutionary war. The developers have stated that both sides will be depicted as grey and that's that. So shut up, buy the game and murder some templars.

Gah, I've recently fallen in love with the AC series, but on the fence about the time period (bias alert: US born and raised, but married an English girl). I dig the slightly warped history of the series, but the American Revolution could easily turn cartoonish. There's just been far too many "America F Yeah!" books and movies about what was actually a complex event with good and bad guys on both sides. If you've got the stomach, go watch The Patriot for a prime example of how bad it can get.

I don't mind fractured history in fiction (Rodrigo Borgia as a supervillian, rock on!) But if it resembles overdone propaganda, it's deviating from the whole "Nothing is true, everything is permitted" theme. I want grey characters, lots of backstabbing, and morally ambiguous choices. The betrayal at the end of AC1 was beautiful. If we just have "guy fighting for freedom", it'll be a yawn plotwise.

Personally, I think they'd be better off doing the French Revolution. THAT has a lot of potential for twisted conspiracies. Just so long as the main character isn't a version of the Scarlet Pimpernel.

Hopefully Ubisoft releases a limited edition version of the game for the PC as well. I would not be surprised if there wasn't one though.

Sgtcrispy:

Sevre:

Sgtcrispy:

Canadians celebrate it as a victory because Canada defended an invasion. In actuality it was a draw though. America's goal was to get Britain to stop screwing around with their trade, which they succeeded in, and while they failed their invasion of Canada they got a bit of "street cred" for challenging the most powerful nation in the world at the time and surviving. And no, historians are hardly divided on it anymore. Most agree it was a draw, because it was. You said yourself they both agreed to stop fighting as it was pointless.

We also had the benefit of "challenging them" while

was running around all of Europe. Had we challenged the full Empire, it probably would not have been close. Yes, it was a draw, but that's only because Britain just said eh and decided they had better things to do. Really Britain was the winner, since they stopped American advances into Canada while the American's failed at their primary goal (taking Canada)

I don't care if They are templars, I'm still rooting for the redcoats.

Well, this news has put to rest my hope that the game would be balanced and not just another YAY-AMERICA fest.

Technically, there's nothing wrong with the story being focused on an assassin, who is himself focused on one side over the other. It's just... weird, I guess, when it involves taking sides in a civil war that had no clear 'in the right' side? Blargh.

Then again, what do I know about another country's history?

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here