Update: Microsoft Finally Admits to Xbox 720

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Callate:
On a basic hardware level, this has some promise (if the Durango specs are accurate)

They probably are accurate...

...for a dev kit, which means whatever is inside the box is in no way indicative of what hardware the console itself will use. Software that is in development requires a fuckload more resources than the finished product ever will.

I just hope games made for it are on something other than DVDs. Games are getting huge now, and I am not a fan of disk swapping or reducing content so it fits on the disk.

shrekfan246:

kitsuta:

It's been almost six years since the current console generation started

Pedantic moment: Xbox 360 first release date - November 16, 2005. Current Date: August 6, 2012. It's been almost seven years.

Whoops, my bad. Thank you for pointing it out (and for doing so politely) - it's been fixed in the OP.

RhombusHatesYou:

Callate:
On a basic hardware level, this has some promise (if the Durango specs are accurate)

They probably are accurate...

...for a dev kit, which means whatever is inside the box is in no way indicative of what hardware the console itself will use. Software that is in development requires a fuckload more resources than the finished product ever will.

Yeah, I understand that. Though whether that just means an increased amount of overhead RAM or something more may be another question.

kitsuta:

shrekfan246:

kitsuta:

It's been almost six years since the current console generation started

Pedantic moment: Xbox 360 first release date - November 16, 2005. Current Date: August 6, 2012. It's been almost seven years.

Whoops, my bad. Thank you for pointing it out (and for doing so politely) - it's been fixed in the OP.

I probably could've worded it a little better... thanks for not taking offense. Sorry if it did come off rude at all. :D

I like how the 'leaked specs' are crappier than the mid range PC i bought last year.
Cause thats some hardware that will stand the test of time!

>launching a new console in the next 4 months
>no mention at e3
>Developers are apparently 'just now' getting SDK's
>No official name yet

Yeah, fuck that. Microsoft, do yourself a favor and quality test the fuck out of this thing before rushing it out to the market, mkay?

Also, if you're seriously planning on releasing it this year, you can kindly get fucked. Some of us actually need to plan months in advance for 300+ dollar purchases ya know.

cloud gaming? are they planning on making games a "service?" I don't know if I like the looks of this. People are already finding their movie libraries can be cut off if they stream them and the server or net goes down for a time.

I'm fine, I'll play my video games on EDI. She's already way ahead of this thing.

*Hrnk* "Durango"

I hope it comes with a wispy moustache as standard.

chimpzy:

Devoneaux:

Aerosteam 1908:
I hate it when people call it the 'Xbox 720'. Jesus, Microsoft aren't the unimaginative when it comes to naming consoles. I would have just said 'the next Xbox'.

As for the news, It seems really strange how they didn't announce this at E3, it wasn't that long ago.

Or rather "The NeXtBox"

Even better yet, "The KineXtBox".

Anyway, I propose the name Xbox Fiesta instead, for no other reason that I like the sound of it.

Will it be able to play Gears of Halo 2013?

Aerosteam 1908:
I hate it when people call it the 'Xbox 720'. Jesus, Microsoft aren't the unimaginative when it comes to naming consoles. I would have just said 'the next Xbox'.

As for the news, It seems really strange how they didn't announce this at E3, it wasn't that long ago.

That's kind of catchy; NextBox?

DugMachine:
Oh and that name is stupid as hell too... xbox 720? COME ON

They didn't say that was its actual name.

So if it comes out this year, then if I buy one next summer, it might actually work.

BiH-Kira:
And the official name will probably be xbox 360 triangle

I was thinking something more along of the lines of XBox 360 TRI

And for those who dont get it

I seriously doubt it will be out by end of this year. Not enough media coverage, how much advertising and hype did they build for how long with their predecessors? Not to mention that we've had E3 and that would have been used to make a huge surprise announcement for something like this.

This "semi official" statement seems like something being looked at bit too closely. Just because it was mention with some products that will be out this year, doesn't mean it will be. I remain skeptical until now.

But it better be able to support everything from the 360 that I have on disc and on my hard drive, keeping the same Live profiles etc would be a nice bonus. I'd want to be able to still play older games with my friends that might not get this right away, as well as me play old games with people that do have it if I don't get it right away.

Nope. No way are they releasing it by EOY. Microsoft likes to make waves and build excitement, and it's way too late in the year for the announcement to build enough before the holiday season. Expect more rumors until E3 2013

Did anyone actually check the source on this? Nowhere does it say it's coming out BEFORE 2013. Jesus, chill down and take things with a grain of salt before you start your "OMFG IT'S COMING OUT IN LESS THAN 4 MONTHS FUK YU MICRO$OFT"

Devoneaux:

chimpzy:

Devoneaux:

Or rather "The NeXtBox"

Even better yet, "The KineXtBox".

Anyway, I propose the name Xbox Fiesta instead, for no other reason that I like the sound of it.

Will it be able to play Gears of Halo 2013?

Yes, it will. All six main titles in fact. And all the spin-offs, including the dancing game.

wow,.. this is some great none news... and just as exciting as finding out the sun rises in the east, and sets in the west.

My money's on another price cut for a whopping $15-$20! Sure would be keen!

And boy, Johnny, you can bet your two bits this baby will play games and shake itself to pieces thanks top top of the line American engineering (Made in Mexico) with great Quality Control! Who needs mood lighting when you're just one game away from red lights telling you it's time to put down the controller and pick up your gal! Good thing Blu-Ray is made with paper, they'll really keep you and your dame warm when this thing lights them on fire! Boy oh boy, I can hardly wait!

Couldn't give a flying fuck to be honest xD

I'm too in love with PC gaming to quit now :3

Wheres the BWC info? Thats all I care about!

Rellik San:
OR.... OR.... it's a new slimmer xbox that has Blu-Ray.

Spoilers! Sheesh. Way to ruin the surprise for everyone.

lRookiel:
Couldn't give a flying fuck to be honest xD

I'm too in love with PC gaming to quit now :3

You and me both, friend!

That sweet, sweet PC gaming crack <3

Vault Citizen:
I understand that it is better to post thought messages about my feelings in regards to this news but to be frank my reaction to this is "YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY"

Artemis923:
I'm really not that excited at all.

At least it'll break my achievement addiction.

How so? I would be willing to bet that they will continue with the achievements, as well as carrying on your gamer score. Its been highly successful.

kitsuta:
A patent filed by Jeffrey Andrews, a Microsoft chief hardware architect, indicates that the console may be scalable or even somehow customizable by the user. Most recently, the "Durango" development kit posted last week suggests that the system will be 64-bit, with between 4 and 6GB of RAM, and more than four cores in its CPU.

Ah yes, so its memory has just barely caught up to PCs that are roughly 1-2 years old.

Hell, this rig I bought and built for fairly cheap back in March runs a quad-core with 8 GB of RAM, and I could've easily made it double that if I wanted to.

Also, I noticed the dev kit supposedly contains an eight-core processor. Now I must ask the obvious question: WHY? Most modern PCs running Windows aren't even capable of optimally using multi-core processors yet, which is why most people stick with no higher than a quad-core on their PC gaming rigs. There are other problems as well, as IEEE has stated in at least one or two articles. Here's a sample, written back in 2008. That's right. This problem has been known for THAT LONG.

So why would Microsoft screw themselves with bad design architecture, knowing that video games are extremely data-intensive programs that place a high load onto their processor on a rather consistent basis? And unless this thing is running more than 4 GB of RAM, I feel sorry for that poor processor. It'll be so busy trying to compensate for its shortcomings in other areas that it'll start to really chug during game play. For their sake, I hope they're running better hardware than has been implied. >_>

Physical specs look about right; about two-three years behind the current tech curve.
(that is GOOD for the part subsidy business that drives the entire console platform)

RAM looks a tad high, the upper-end is on par with modern decent gaming PCs. Then again, RAM at that grade isn't exactly that expensive any more. I was looking at least 2GB, maybe 4GB.
Undersold it a bit.

(not the best, obviously; but you don't need the best computer for current PC gaming thanks to the huge number of current console ports dragging PC down to their tech level)

Oh, and, I really hope this doesn't take off like the 360 did. But knowing the market, they will just lap it up. I don't want it to FAIL, mind you, but gaming has largely gone south for me since the 360 launched and it all has to do with market demographics.

Namely, I don't want to have to deal with another 6 years of shitty PC gaming. Though that may happen regardless depending on how gung-ho the publishers are about forcing increasingly bad DRM down our throats.

"Online experiences"
Yup. Learn how to be homophobic, belligerent, anti-social, loud, obnoxious and act like a 12 year old.

*looks at everyone making demands for backwards compatibility and the ability to port XBLA games over to the "Durango"*

Uh... why not just keep your 360s? Entitlement issues abound, as always... I'm not saying it wouldn't be great, I'm just saying it's unrealistic and weird. Sure, Microsoft SAYS it'll be the only box you need for entertainment, but we all know that won't be true. I'll still get this, a Wii-U, and a PS4. Despite that, I'll still spend 70% of my time gaming on my PC.

OT: It's good to get some information, but I'll have to see it in action before I get really excited.

One there is no way a new Xbox is coming out this year and two like we need an official confirmation from Microsoft to know they are making one.

Sheo_Dagana:
*looks at everyone making demands for backwards compatibility and the ability to port XBLA games over to the "Durango"*

Uh... why not just keep your 360s? Entitlement issues abound, as always... I'm not saying it wouldn't be great, I'm just saying it's unrealistic and weird.

Um... Id rather be able to boot up the new xbox and have ALL my games, and not have to keep my 360 connected to have to play those XBLA games.

Heck, I have my 360 on my desk now, my N64, SNES, and original Xbox under my tv on my desk, and I still have a gamecube I cant fit under there. Yeah.... One system would be great.

Its not entitlement, its "You know what would be GREAT!..."

kitsuta:

If it's possible to change or edit the thread title, why not change it so that it's actually correct instead of keeping it sensationalist?

I wouldn't be surprised if that statement in the update was just MS trying to cover their arse. We all know it's coming either way anyway.

At the Update: figured as much

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or