Sony Announces Redesigned PlayStation 3

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Evil Smurf:

ResonanceSD:
Uh, did the PAL regions piss off Sony or something? O_o that sounds like a terrible deal for us.

Why would any Australian buy this? Have they stopped stocking the 2nd redesign of the PS3?

Because they hadn't ever heard of Amazon? Idk, i'm genuinely confused.

My prediction: manufacturing costs on this model are significantly lower than the slim model, meaning this is something they can make drastic price cuts to and continue selling long into the PS4 era. They don't care if it doesn't set the core gamer market's hair on fire.

Macgyvercas:
My 60GB model still works. And is backwards compatable to boot. Why should I buy another one?

Here here!

I've been mulling over the idea of getting a "new" ps3 for the dark day when my 60giger bites it..but this.. is just stupid. $300.. when the Wii-U is right around the corner? And it offers absolutely nothing that the PS3s already on the market don't already offer? You already get a 160gig model for less than either of this cost... brand new. Maybe I'm the minority but I can't even imagine needing a 500gig HD on my console. I just wonder how much money they wasted on R&D on this thing that no one wants, needs, or asked for.

Screw that. Just get a refurbished PS3 off Amazon and pick up a 1TB Sata HDD while you're at it. Once they both arrive install the 1TB Sata to your PS3 and you've got a better PS3 at roughly the same cost.

Not only is Sony showing its inability to change, its desperately covering its wrinkles like a back ally whore in a panic for meth.

It's cool and all but I think I will wait for next gen

Hmm, I'm reminded of something I learned of called the Sega 32X, it was an attempt to keep the Sega genesis alive, however the timing was ate, the Sega Saturn was on the way, as well as the N64, and the PlayStation.
except that was an add on, it was compatible with genesis games and had it's own 32 bit games (genesis was 16 bit) you can't upgrade Graphics as easily these days though, I don't know anything about PS3 but I assume it's high power causes long loading times.

GonzoGamer:

Gizmo1990:

llubtoille:
I remember they did the same thing with the PSOne,
ie - releasing a compact version towards the end of its life.
did they do it for the PS2?

Yes it was called the PS2 slim.

Not that I needed one. I still have the original fat arse one and it is still going strong. To put it into context since I got it 10-11 years ago I have had 3 PC, sent my PS3 into be repaied and had 1 360 blow up (smoke went everywhere, scared the crap out of my dog).

OT: Did anyone ask for or need this? Also let me be the one to ask the most important question. Have you included the safty switch at the back again? Removing it from the last models was a crime againt humanity!

Blow up?!
I heard about the rrod but I didn't hear about them exploding. Glad I dodged that bullet.

I too have a fat ps3 and while the hardware is obviously more reliable than the competition (granted, there's not a high bar there) sony hasn't supported it very well. I don't see the point in making a new model unless it's cheaper and if it's cheaper, they should give consumers a price drop.

Old Game Consoles are tougher I used to have a Game-cube and I can't remember how many times its been dropped and it still works, probably I don't have it because I have moved elsewhere but I wouldn't doubt if the thing still worked.
also older consoles were better designed, why?
well I've played on Game cube and PS2, CD based games, i can play them for hours, when I play my Xbox 360 know what happens? it starts to get hot, because they cooling system is sub par. but still, it works, even though I've had two of them now, the other first one died, overheated.
In conclusion don't waste your money on this new redesigned model, it's better to wait for the next generation, I doubt Sony is going to to try what Nintendo is with the Wii-U they wouldn't just blatantly rip them off-
oh wait PlayStation move.

Jove:
A total waste of time and money on Sony's part.

Fixed my 60G twice, and plans or replacing it unless the PS4 is backward compatible.

This flash memory and basicly required additional hard drive is interesting. Is this what Sonny plans for the PS4? A central unit with little memmory but seperate hard drives on.

Possibly to make the system seem more price competitive with a lower base price but with high hidden cost of the hard drives, a bit like the PSVita memory cards.

Alright! You're redesigning it and adding back in all the functionality you said wouldn't work now that you've had 7 years to iron out the bugs. Hello Other OS and Backwards Compatability!

...what do you mean it doesn't have the Other OS option or backwards compatability? You didn't actually add anything? You just took the guts and put them in a new casing and decided to charge $300 for a console that's currently retailing at $200.

You know, I think it might be time for an xbox.

Boudica:
Well that's... uninteresting? I'm left super, super apathetic. I don't see the point in it, really, certainly not this late into the life of the PS3. Much earlier, maybe. Sure. But now? *shrug*

Look at the hardware specs of the first PS3. It outlcasses the others too far to be considered "late" in its life. It was designed to keep up with the next ten years of game development advancements, if not more. Nintendo is innovating hardware and 360 has an... IR camera, but PS3 will be a competitor in the 8th generation unless some mind-blowing innovation is released by then.

Anyways, I may sell mine and get this for 2 reasons: 1. I don't have enough memory as-is, and 2. my cousins put a big crack in the thing and a fan's broken. Selling it for parts and buying a new one would be cheaper than repairs unless I can find someone who'd repair it pro bono.

Orinon:
Hmm, I'm reminded of something I learned of called the Sega 32X, it was an attempt to keep the Sega genesis alive, however the timing was ate, the Sega Saturn was on the way, as well as the N64, and the PlayStation.
except that was an add on, it was compatible with genesis games and had it's own 32 bit games (genesis was 16 bit) you can't upgrade Graphics as easily these days though, I don't know anything about PS3 but I assume it's high power causes long loading times.

GonzoGamer:

Gizmo1990:

Not that I needed one. I still have the original fat arse one and it is still going strong. To put it into context since I got it 10-11 years ago I have had 3 PC, sent my PS3 into be repaied and had 1 360 blow up (smoke went everywhere, scared the crap out of my dog).

OT: Did anyone ask for or need this? Also let me be the one to ask the most important question. Have you included the safty switch at the back again? Removing it from the last models was a crime againt humanity!

Blow up?!
I heard about the rrod but I didn't hear about them exploding. Glad I dodged that bullet.

I too have a fat ps3 and while the hardware is obviously more reliable than the competition (granted, there's not a high bar there) sony hasn't supported it very well. I don't see the point in making a new model unless it's cheaper and if it's cheaper, they should give consumers a price drop.

Old Game Consoles are tougher I used to have a Game-cube and I can't remember how many times its been dropped and it still works, probably I don't have it because I have moved elsewhere but I wouldn't doubt if the thing still worked.
well I've played on Game cube and PS2, CD based games, i can play them for hours, when I play my Xbox 360 know what happens? it starts to get hot, because they cooling system is sub par. but still, it works, even though I've had two of them now, the other first one died, overheated.
In conclusion don't waste your money on this new redesigned model, it's better to wait for the next generation, I doubt Sony is going to to try what Nintendo is with the Wii-U they wouldn't just blatantly rip them off-

The sega 32x was also not true 32 bit, it was at best a marketing gimmic, at worst it was a blatant cash grab.

Either way between that and the sega cd add on, sega managed to ruin all good will toward it when they released all these expensive add on then dropped support for them almost the next day.

And i loved my sega genesis, for the record i even owned the sega cd add on. Sold the whole system for 500 cash on a whim as it happens a few months before they axed the whole system and left owners high and dry. Even at that i swore i would never buy another sega system again.

I was kinda waiting for this announcement since my PS3 has been dead for like 3 months and it pains me to see all unplayed games on my shelf, but with this price tag...
Cheapest PS3 slim is around $450 here and I shudder to think how much 500GB version is gonna cost. I only hope this makes "older" models a bit cheaper.

This seems like the most redundant thing Sony has ever done.

EU gets the short end of the stick again, why am I not surprised.

llubtoille:
I remember they did the same thing with the PSOne,
ie - releasing a compact version towards the end of its life.
did they do it for the PS2?

Yes they did.
PS2 slim came out near the end of 2004. Which is somewhat shortly before the ps3 came out.

Sony: We made a model that is less expensive to make so we're going to sell it to increase our profits. No advantages for you, customers.

And I thought the PS3 slim was crap.... Sony, What did Europe ever do to you?

If Sony keeps pulling this crap the next PS gen will the last. There is no way Sony can compete with Microsoft, Nintendo, or even the OUYA (also hopefully Valve) if it keeps taking the piss out of its potential costumers.

I am very happy with my "fattie". It runs well as a media centre (once the LAN is hard-wired), Netflix is good, plays all games, and it has the "emotional engine" which means I can play PS2 games if I ever wanted to.
I upgraded the hard drive to 640GB and have never looked back

Orinon:

GonzoGamer:

Gizmo1990:

Blow up?!

Yea, sony is going to promise to do the same thing with the vita but I doubt they'll follow through and if they do, it too will probably be poorly supported.

As for durability I think it has mostly to do with how complicated the machine is. The old consoles could stand up to a lot. Hell, at the NYC Nintendo World Store they had (might still be there, haven't been there in a while) a Game Boy (original) that got half melted by a missile in the first gulf war (1992) and was still running. My original NES still works too and it was from the first NYC run of them.

doesnt look as good at the slim because this just looks like a plastic mess imo

Still haven't gotten a PS3, and a lighter and smaller PS3 wouldn't change my mind in the slightest. Price changes do make me take a double take, but as most people, its all about the games!

Umm, I'll stick with the fat and slim PS3's I have at the moment. It does look pretty, but also pretty pointless .

Darn. If the price point had dropped to between $99.99 and $149.99 like the slim line PS1 and PS2 did, I would have bought one. At that price, I really don't see the point of yet another re-design. I mean, did the price drop at all?

NuclearShadow:
Love or hate the Wii U at-least it exists and Nintendo is trying to make it appealing and seem new and fresh. Microsoft gives nothing and Sony gives us the PS3 for the 3rd time.

Keyword here is seem. They did the whole "second screen controller" thing since Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles for the Gamecube. And the dilemma of sharing a television with someone who DOESN'T want to play video games was never a big issue in the industry, and Nintendo solved it in one of the most clunky, impractical and expensive ways possible. So congrats, I guess.

CoL0sS:

Cheapest PS3 slim is around $450 here and I shudder to think how much 500GB version is gonna cost. I only hope this makes "older" models a bit cheaper.

0_o Where do you live, exactly? That seems like exorbitant pricing on something that was $300 at release a few years ago.

If it miraculously get cheaper for my country (as in less than $384), I'll may consider getting one of these.

I got my 250 slim for $200 new on Amazon almost two years ago. Why the hell are these things still so expensive?

Jhooud:

Macgyvercas:
My 60GB model still works. And is backwards compatable to boot. Why should I buy another one?

My exact situation! The only reason I'd buy another PS3 at this point in the life cycle would be if old reliable finally gave up the ghost. It's running great, has plenty of room on the hard drive, and plays all my old PS/PS2 games.

Mine just died. =(

Not sure if it's worth repairing or if I should "upgrade", but I'm going to miss the backwards compatibility (which I doubt it'd keep if I sent it in to Sony).

LOL, I still have one of the older fatter models. Still works fine too.

Easton Dark:

CoL0sS:

0_o Where do you live, exactly? That seems like exorbitant pricing on something that was $300 at release a few years ago.

I may have exaggerated a bit. I looked up current exchange rates and it's more like $400 :)
I guess it comes down to demand, delivery costs, exchange rates, current EU and individual retailer pricing.

I'm probably complaining because it's pretty expensive when compared to our standard. Then again at least I have a part time job so I can put aside some money, which means I'm better off than most. To answer your question I live in Croatia. Amazing, beautiful place for a vacation. Very fucked-up place to live and grow up in.

Skyy High:

Jhooud:

Macgyvercas:

My exact situation! The only reason I'd buy another PS3 at this point in the life cycle would be if old reliable finally gave up the ghost. It's running great, has plenty of room on the hard drive, and plays all my old PS/PS2 games.

Mine just died. =(

Not sure if it's worth repairing or if I should "upgrade", but I'm going to miss the backwards compatibility (which I doubt it'd keep if I sent it in to Sony).

You should at least check into a repair - might end up saving some money. At least when my fat PS2 died, the slims were cheaper with the same functionality. I'd just hate to have to replace the system when I have a strong suspicion that this time next year we'll be talking about upgrading to PS4s and X720s.

Tell me it has wireless N!

Frank_Sinatra_:
Screw that. Just get a refurbished PS3 off Amazon and pick up a 1TB Sata HDD while you're at it. Once they both arrive install the 1TB Sata to your PS3 and you've got a better PS3 at roughly the same cost.

Why would you put in 1TB? I couldn't imagine anyone using more than 100GB.

DeltasDix:

Frank_Sinatra_:

Why would you put in 1TB? I couldn't imagine anyone using more than 100GB.

Two reasons.
1.) Because you can
2.) If you're a gamer like me you've already used 200GB of the 500GB. I play and keep a LOT of games.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here