Black Ops II Designer Thinks Gamers "Should All Play Multiplayer"

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

AHAHAHAHA no. Not everyone likes multiplayer, especially (at least in CoD's case) when most of it's players seem to be homophobic 12 year olds.

Just more evidence that Activision and the CoD developers hate the player, only care about their money, and want to dictate what you do with the product you paid for. But don't worry sir, I'm not buying your game at all so you don't need to worry about me missing out on your shitty multiplayer. But feel free to hang out with all the racist, sexist, foul-mouth pre-teens that your series has brought in to online gaming.

As many people have said, get better people in your multiplayer. I see a drastic difference between the Counter Strike multiplayer and the CoD Multiplayer.
CoD's Multiplayer when you die: LOL, FAGGOT, YOU CANT PLAY THIS GAME YOU NOOB!
Counter Strike's Multiplayer when you die: You just have to get used to the kickback, it takes a while to get used to the kickback. Keep going.

Imagine if other medias did this.

"It bugs the shit out of me that people who enjoy true crime won't read sci-fi," - Writer

It's just ridiculous, and feels frankly like he's annoyed that some people don't enjoy that which he worked on.

Gearhead mk2:
...is there a single freaking person in the game industry with common sense!?

And before anyone says Valve, if they had common sense, TF2 would actually be a game instead of a hat sim.

CD Projekt Red?

On Topic: I guess I can kind of see where he is coming from. Here they spend two years making the game and some gamers(like myself) only play the single player and never play the multiplayer. At the same time though he needs to understand that not everyone likes multiplayer.

This is actually pretty creepy.

COD's multiplayer is very bizarre. It activates the reptilian part of the brain due to it's vicious "Kill-Die-Respawn" pattern. It's very fast-paced, incredibly chaotic, etc. The world wouldn't be healthy if "every gamer played COD multiplayer". Addictive, very low vibration/frequency activity. Like Counterstrike, but worse.

I think people need to ask themselves why it's even possible for it to "bug the shit out of" the designers. I mean really.

Another misleading title Escapist? Becoming more and more like Kotaku every day it seems.

I wonder...are the articles getting more sensationalist titles because the comments are more retarded? Or are the comments more retarded because the titles are sensationalist? Perhaps it's some sort of vicious cycle where one cannot exist without the other.

It's incredible how much out of context news can get. I think everyone should read the original interview and see if they can even find the passage quoted here. I took me quite a while.

Yes he said that as part of a reason to include a training mode, he also talked about a bunch of other things. I wonder how Escapist writers would react if they were quoted in the same way.

It bugs the shit out of me when news outlets twist words like that.

why do i feel that this spells bad things for the single player

have to say the kill streaks are what killed it for me. it got to the point where people aren't even using guns anymore, its predator missiles, gun drones, helicopters that paint the enemies red for you and nukes that auto-win the match that everyone is now using. plus the games drag on forever especially if everyone employs the camp for kills strategy, the only worse online mode to me is gears of war where its even slower!

i've fallen back on online competitive gaming and now play either Transformers or Space Marine as the combat is fast and furious.

what happened to all the fast pace games, even UT2007 had gotten slower. there seems to be no arcade shooters anymore.

If their multiplayer wasn't so full of prepubescent racists and unbalanced mechanics, maybe I would play it.

The first Black Ops had Combat Training. But I think it's fair to be annoyed people aren't playing the multiplayer. In the same way as I would be annoyed if I'd spent all my effort making a realistic pinball machine in an open world game and nobody played it. But then again, it is a pinball machine...in an open world game. ie. there are plenty of other things to do in the game. Don't complain if people do them. You put them there.

After skipping 3 COD games, while the last one made me figure out "Holy shit I hate playing with these people", I was actually sort of thinking about MAYBE picking up the game a while after it comes out, whenever I have some extra money around. You sir, just lost yourself another customer by being a complete ass hat. I hate Activisions guts and I was actually considering to purchase the next one. And yes, I prefer Single player and Co-op way more then Multiplayer. Still, I do enjoy them from time to time, and COD 4 and MW2 have good memories, specially with the campaign and the Spec ops mode for Modern warfare 2, which was REALLY fun with friends. Now, I rather save my $60 for something else. Don't tell me what to play and not play, and if you're trying to advertise for that bland multiplayer, start by not being a total asshole.

Bostur:
It's incredible how much out of context news can get. I think everyone should read the original interview and see if they can even find the passage quoted here. I took me quite a while.

Yes he said that as part of a reason to include a training mode, he also talked about a bunch of other things. I wonder how Escapist writers would react if they were quoted in the same way.

Do you have the link to the original interview? I can't find anything that puts his "bugs the shit" comment in greater context.

Buretsu:

Bostur:

Do you have the link to the original interview? I can't find anything that puts his "bugs the shit" comment in greater context.

http://oneofswords.com/2012/09/in-deeper-with-call-of-duty-black-ops-ii-multiplayer/

It's at the bottom of the page, right before the permalink.

Why don't you make the multiplayer fun to play then?

Bostur:

Buretsu:

Bostur:

http://oneofswords.com/2012/09/in-deeper-with-call-of-duty-black-ops-ii-multiplayer/

So, you have nothing that adds the context you claim to be lacking. Fair enough.

What a fucking retarded statement to make. Newsflash, some of us prefer singleplayer over multiplayer. Some of us don't like multiplayer at all. To claim that anyone *should* do ANYTHING is asinine, but this takes the cake.

And here I thought the game looked somewhat interesting for a while. Well, now I'm never going to touch this game's multiplayer if I ever do get it, just so I can continue bugging the shit out of Treyarch. Which means I'll also be waiting for a major price drop. Which, knowing Activision, will never arrive.

To be fair, I can sort of see where he's coming from. This guy's worked hard on the games multiplayer, and he wants people to play the expiriance he's put together. Granted he could have worded this better, but what can you do about it.

And as for people who're whining about the kids playing the multiplayer (Which seems to be all that ends up being talked about whenever the topic of muliplayer is discussed), there's two very simple things you can do.
1. Mute anyone and everyone
2. Jump into party chat either with your mates or by yourself, then you won't hear anyone in game chat.

And I don't know about you, but I find those little kids who have a nice ol' sook over COD rediculesly funny.

David Vonderhaar can shove it up his ass

Single player will ALWAYS be more important to me

Buretsu:

Bostur:

Buretsu:

So, you have nothing that adds the context you claim to be lacking. Fair enough.

I think the original interview adds to the context. The quote mentioned here is just a small remark completely unrelated to what the interview is about.

Sorry about missing your sarcasm, I was just trying to be helpful really.

I hate MP, I simply do not have the time to get good at it - it's frustrating because there are people who spend 10 hours a day playing, and I just can't do anything.

Bostur:

Buretsu:

Bostur:

I think the original interview adds to the context. The quote mentioned here is just a small remark completely unrelated to what the interview is about.

The interview is about the multiplayer, how cool the multiplayer is, and his comment is how much it "bugs the shit out of" him that not everyone is playing multiplayer.

Gearhead mk2:
...is there a single freaking person in the game industry with common sense!?

And before anyone says Valve, if they had common sense, TF2 would actually be a game instead of a hat sim.

Funny, I can still play TF2. Maybe you accidentally loaded up a browser to a hat website by accident?

Mr Cwtchy:
Well with all due respect David Vonderhaar, go fuck yourself.

+1

Because I love the change from a high speed shooter single player experience, to one where you run around at 90 mph knifing and teabagging people.

Allow me to convey my feelings to this is significant detail:

It began as absolute screaming outrage, malformed into outrageous and sickening laughter, then devolved into incoherent crying.

WTF Activision. Are you guys hiring the EA PR department to issue comments on the industry now?

STOP PLEASE.

I do. I have great fun with Battlefield and Tribes ;).

Buretsu:

Bostur:

Buretsu:

The interview is about the multiplayer, how cool the multiplayer is, and his comment is how much it "bugs the shit out of" him that not everyone is playing multiplayer.

I think the context is in the interview, he's talking about all the cool stuff that they've added to the games multiplayer, and it 'bugs the shit' out of him that people who don't play the multiplayer won't experiance all the hard work he's put into it, which to me seems like a fair thing to say despite its heavy handed delivery.

Mr Cwtchy:
Well with all due respect David Vonderhaar, go fuck yourself.

What he said.

Seriously Mr. Vonderhaar, you should respect that not everyone LIKES running around getting shouted at and having insults hurled at them by assholes under the influence of the Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory.

Yup you wonder why i don't play all that many new games, well here it is. It piss the designers off that i won't use the features that cost me extra on top of the game i just paid $60 for. What gall i have, what right as a consumer do i have to not be milked like a cow who's teats are filled with gold bullion. After all i need to help them with there six figure bonus they get paid if there game appeals to the largest slice of the audience, even if im not included and laughed at because i want a good story in my game. For shame that i don't pay for the special pass and xbox live gold just so i can play that part of the game. I would rather play Madden sarcasticball 2012 then pay them another penny after i already bought the game. And they wonder why there games get pirated. Oh i know there over priced and the design teams a bunch of wankers.

It's the same deal with Diablo 3 for me, as well as BF3 when it came out: sometimes I just want to play single player. Not to say I hate multiplayer; far from it. I just don't want to play multiplayer all the time. The only thing I could honestly say I hate is how MP seems to get shoehorned into every game I see these days.

Knife-28:

Buretsu:

Bostur:

I think the context is in the interview, he's talking about all the cool stuff that they've added to the games multiplayer, and it 'bugs the shit' out of him that people who don't play the multiplayer won't experiance all the hard work he's put into it, which to me seems like a fair thing to say despite its heavy handed delivery.

If you want more people to play your multiplayer, then don't include a single player mode at all. It's that simple. If you chase two rabbits, you'll catch neither.

I played the crap out of World at War and Modern Warfare 2. I think I was halfway through my fourth prestige or something like that when I finally got fed up with the COD multiplayer. It's addicting, but there's too many niggling frustrations in the whole experience.

Sometimes, bullshit happens. You'll get hit from behind, or you run straight into something you ought to have known better... but it transcends my personal bullshit tolerance when it becomes a game mechanic. The unlocking guns are a petty annoyance only because you usually get something decent at lower levels, but it's frustrating as hell realizing that other players have a concrete advantage from unlocking silencers/heartbeat sensors/super perks, etc. These little advantages start adding up into big ones.

I think what finally broke it for me was eating multiple predator missiles in a row. At least in a shooter like Halo your team has to work to capitalize on an early advantage (position, weapon control, etc.). In COD it's "hurr durr instakill missile" that the other player has no recourse against.

If I want to play multiplayer anything, I play Starcraft now. That can guarantee me a level playing field every time. Your games do not, sir.

I find a small measure of joy in my heart that makes me feel five pounds the lighter knowing that by my inaction I am causing irritation to this man. If it so happens that my disapproval of multiplayer pisses him off then all the better, although I can understand him disliking the fact of people hating something he put a lot of work into, but he's an adult he can live with disappointment. He wants everyone to play multiplayer and people in hell want ice water but neither wish shall be granted.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here