EA Calls Developer Mentally Ill

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Surprised that not more gamers have gotten on their high horse about EA using a comment like that despite the fact "mental illness" is used as an insult almost all the time.

I don't think I'm gonna side with either of them. I don't think EA would have made that sort of offer and it not be documented or published somewhere but I love Oddworld.

So they both win. Yay.

Okay, while both sides were total morons in this, EA is the one that walks away looking the dumbest while Lanning is the one most likely to get a free pass. It's not fair, but that's how it is.

Why?

1) They are misrepresenting Tourette's Syndrome (which is not always a case of "running curse mouth) and therefore opening themselves up to serious PR problems.
2) They are also misrepresenting the use of lithium (which is a treatment used for bipolar patients) which may cause similarly bad PR problems.
3) They are responding to a bad PR statement with an equally bad (arguably worse) PR statement, which is bad for a company that already has bad PR for all the other stupid shit they do and say on a regular basis.
4) The guy's claims are actually sort of valid. EA has been in part responsible for a lot of the damage done to this guy's studio through Stranger's World in particular, which forced him to significantly downsize as a result. In fact I seem to recall that they pulled similar strategies with other studios that they later acquired, such as Westwood. This is a typical EA bully tactic, damage the studio and then forcibly acquire them.

So yeah. I don't want to root for either one, but if I'm forced at gunpoint to pick a side, it wouldn't take me more than a split second to decide which of the two is being the bigger wanker.

Grey Carter:
"We wish Lorne luck on the game and recommend Lithium for the paranoia and Tourette Syndrome," said EA's corporate spokesman, Jeff Brown.

There's a Jeff Brown that sits next to me in school, and for a second I thought it was actually him.

Huh.

They're both being pretty immature about this, though once again EA has made themselves the bigger idiot by making a joke about mental illness. Everyone knows that's a line you don't cross.

Moosejaw:
Eh, they were responding to a guy who told them 'Fuck you very much' and implied they were shit in bed. Clearly both parties here were being incredibly unprofessional, and they're arguing with each other on the same level. If you're going to call EA's behavior inappropriate, you have to say the same of Lanning.

This, really. Not only that but Lanning is essentially using the old "slate EA for quick cred" routine, not surprised EA are more than a little fucked off tbh.

Was EA's response unprofessional? Sure, but it was unprofessional to the level of amusing I'd say. Far as Im concerned, Lanning set the tone of this little spat so he cant start crying now EA have retaliated in kind.

Fasckira:

Moosejaw:
Eh, they were responding to a guy who told them 'Fuck you very much' and implied they were shit in bed. Clearly both parties here were being incredibly unprofessional, and they're arguing with each other on the same level. If you're going to call EA's behavior inappropriate, you have to say the same of Lanning.

This, really. Not only that but Lanning is essentially using the old "slate EA for quick cred" routine, not surprised EA are more than a little fucked off tbh.

Was EA's response unprofessional? Sure, but it was unprofessional to the level of amusing I'd say. Far as Im concerned, Lanning set the tone of this little spat so he cant start crying now EA have retaliated in kind.

So you think making fun of the mentally ill or challenged is "amusing"?

EA is the bigger asshole here by a mile. Lanning was too, but Jeff Brown should be fired for that comment. My cousin has Downs Syndrome and it is NOT something you use as a comeback, especially if you're a professional company like EA. Although after this, I would hardly call them "professional".

And I know they didn't mention Downs Syndrome, but it does fall into the same category.

TsunamiWombat:
A Public Spokesman used a mental illness as an insult in a PUBLIC STATEMENT? How... STUPID do you have to be? The public backlash is going to CRUSH them.

You can't say "stupid" any more. That's demeaning to the Sub Average Intelligence community.

snowfi6916:
So you think making fun of the mentally ill or challenged is "amusing"?

Never once said that. Please re-read carefully what I put before knee-jerking your way to a response:

Fasckira:
Sure, but it was unprofessional to the level of amusing I'd say.

I do not think making fun of mental health problems is amusing at all, and I certainly didn't say that here. The point I was trying to make (though evidently not clearly enough) was that the situation of two grown adults in a supposedly professional capacity were reduced to this was amusing.

Moosejaw:

Yeah but theres a difference Lanning was just rude to EA his insults though rude were specific, EA then turn around and insult people with tourette's and to a lesser extent any mentally ill people with there usual gift of PR finesse.

its just another in a long line of EA publicity blunders

Damn, now we'll never get Call Of Abe: Modern Failfare :(

""We wish Lorne luck on the game and recommend Lithium for the paranoia and Tourette Syndrome," said EA's corporate spokesman, Jeff Brown. "Nobody here remembers a jet, a Ferrari or an offer to buy his company.""

Oh, that clears it up. Thanks EA. I had no idea.

Ed130:

AzrealMaximillion:

Bobic:
Someone swears a bunch and someone else makes an offhand comment about him having tourettes. I'm sorry, but so what? They weren't using tourettes as an insult, they were making the comparison of 'guy swears a lot, like someone with tourettes or something' (which yes, isn't true all of the time, but it's how it's viewed by a large portion of society, which no, isn't good and better education is needed. Hell, I'm schizophrenic, I know what it's like for everyone to get your illness wrong, but to call EA out of it, rather than, you know, everyone, is just bull)

Are you telling me you've never referred to something as 'crazy', 'retarded' 'the ref must be blind' or something along those lines? Or you heard your friend say something along those lines (or even someone cursing having tourettes, this isn't an EA invention) and didn't care because it's a complete non issue? This is such a pandering case of trying to make a story out of nothing. Hey, EA is quite hated, let's trawl through everything they say to find something we can stretch into a headline and desperately grab some page hits.

Really, all you can argue is unprofessionalism, but the comment that started it was 'fuck you very much', so it clearly isn't a professional conversation.

But basically, this really doesn't seem like news. It's horse race journalism. And it's pointless and petty.

tl;dr: It's political correctness gone mad!!!

Pretty much this. Everyone in this thread who seems to be on a high horse about EA making fun of mental illness has laughed at South Park, Family Guy, and comedians such as Doug Stanhope, guaranteed. The title of this article boggles my mind as it sets the tone that only EA was rude here. Clearly not the case.

Comedians pull stunts like that to be funny, its their job.

Jeff Brown is EA's corporate spokesman, the 'voice' of the company if you will. He (and by extension EA) used it as an insult, something that I have stated before you would expect form a youtube comment, not from a large corporation.

I'm not going to debate whether or not it was justified, I will argue that it was petty, childish and unbecoming of Jeff Brown and EA.

I'm aware that comedians says things like this for a living. That doesn't change the fact that everyday people say stuff like this all the time. Yes, its Jeff Brown's job to be professional, but its kind of refreshing to see a spokesperson talk about someone in a way that you'd hear in any other workplace setting. It makes him seem more fallible and human.

And you're ignoring the fact that Lorne Lanning was stupidly rude as well. Its not like Jeff Brown goes out of his was to insult people using mental illness, he was fighting fire with fire. Its not "professional" but to be honest, there is such a thing as being too politically correct, and if it leads to people ignoring the fact that the offending party was provoked, then I'm not down for demonizing EA this time.

Jeff Brown is PR, the voice of the company, I get that. Lorne Lanning is president and co-founder, he is the company. He should have carried himself in a more professional manner rather than trying to look cool taking random childish swipes in the first place.

Both sides provided "youtube" style insults, either demonized both, or ignore it like you would on youtube.

Astoria:
They're both being pretty immature about this, though once again EA has made themselves the bigger idiot by making a joke about mental illness. Everyone knows that's a line you don't cross.

South Park, Family Guy, any comedian ever, elected politicians, average everyday person.

Everyone "crosses the line" everyday in one way or another. Can't call it a line if everyone has a different distance to cross it, it then becomes a jagged shape. I've seen it on this website, both by Escapist member and by those who write the articles. What makes EA doing it so bad? Especially when provoked with words that are still censored on TV.

I have a hard time believing that just EA should be given shit here.

Grey Carter:
"When you say that to us we go 'fuck you very much', quite frankly. That's not a sustainable model, that's a hostile acquisition," Lanning said. "That's why we had to strive to get independent. Rather than get into bed with someone we knew was a horrible bed partner we said 'let's stay virgins for longer'."

"We wish Lorne luck on the game and recommend Lithium for the paranoia and Tourette Syndrome," said EA's corporate spokesman, Jeff Brown. "Nobody here remembers a jet, a Ferrari or an offer to buy his company."

I'll confess, I chuckled.

Leaving aside the whole political correctness issue here (mental illness is bad, people with mental illness deserve respect, etc.) I don't think there's anything really wrong with taking a pot-shot at someone who took a pot-shot at you. Yes, they're both being a little juvenile, but Lanning started it and I think Brown's comeback was funnier.

Wouldn't it be funny if it was actually true and the oddworld developer had kept the emails/letters whatever and just went "BAM! Bitches please, I be having proofs."

Holy shit these two make me look mature...

You would think grown businessmen would have a little more decorum in public.

I still wonder if it was EA who tried to take advantage of kickstarter and Obsidian. They really seem to know no bounds sometimes.

eh, EA's just salty they can't get seem to buy the Oddworld series.

Lanning uses virginity as an analogue to their independent status and to denote ea's questionable business practices, Brown uses mental illnesses to personally insult Lanning and call him a liar.

regardless of how you feel about ea and the way they operate, you have to wonder how they can manage to continue royally fucking up the PR side of things

Nope. Nope. NOPE

Not touching this with a 10 foot pole D:

While EA is certainly an acceptable target, behaving like EA while doing so defeats the purpose.

Also I think the collective intelligence of just about everyone in the games industry took a nose dive sometime in the last 6 years or so.

Hey Lanning, news flash. Being indie isn't some kind of golden crown. You're just a game developer. If you succeed, you will either be acquired by a publisher, or BECOME a publisher.

Wow! It's like the last 10 years EA has done all it can to make as much people hate them as humanly possible. Next on their itinerary; kitten drowning contest at a kindergarten class?

Cecilthedarkknight_234:
I don't even have words to express this so I leave you all with this~

Please, for the love of god tell me you're being ironic, or saying the news post as a whole gave you cancer. To complain about someone belittling tourettes with a comment belittling cancer, that is a level of bafflingly low self awareness and high hypocrisy that I can't even compute. So, I'm going to assume you are being ironic, in which case, well done. If not, see my first page comment, hang head in shame.

Was I the only one that saw the picture in the article and thought "wow, Viggo Mortensen makes games?"

I guess my "indie cred" is a bit depleated.

Excellent!

The court of public opinion is now in session.

Both parties are accused of slander and being a dickhead. EA may have initially had the high ground here (a rare beast indeed) IF Lorne Lanning was in fact lying.
They promptly surrendered that high ground by going for a cheap shot at genuinely unwell people with no part in this.

The only matter actually in question is... Did Mr Lanning, in fact lie?
If he did then we have a good old fashioned two way shitfight.
If not then he's still kind of a twat but not a twat guilty of slandering EA (no easy task).

In summing up the only winners here are we the ladies and gentlemen of the jury coz this is gonna be one hell of a show.

AzrealMaximillion:

Ed130:

Comedians pull stunts like that to be funny, its their job.

Jeff Brown is EA's corporate spokesman, the 'voice' of the company if you will. He (and by extension EA) used it as an insult, something that I have stated before you would expect form a youtube comment, not from a large corporation.

I'm not going to debate whether or not it was justified, I will argue that it was petty, childish and unbecoming of Jeff Brown and EA.

I'm aware that comedians says things like this for a living. That doesn't change the fact that everyday people say stuff like this all the time. Yes, its Jeff Brown's job to be professional, but its kind of refreshing to see a spokesperson talk about someone in a way that you'd hear in any other workplace setting. It makes him seem more fallible and human.

And you're ignoring the fact that Lorne Lanning was stupidly rude as well. Its not like Jeff Brown goes out of his was to insult people using mental illness, he was fighting fire with fire. Its not "professional" but to be honest, there is such a thing as being too politically correct, and if it leads to people ignoring the fact that the offending party was provoked, then I'm not down for demonizing EA this time.

Jeff Brown is PR, the voice of the company, I get that. Lorne Lanning is president and co-founder, he is the company. He should have carried himself in a more professional manner rather than trying to look cool taking random childish swipes in the first place.

Both sides provided "youtube" style insults, either demonized both, or ignore it like you would on youtube.

"I'm not going to debate whether or not it was justified, I will argue that it was petty, childish and unbecoming of Jeff Brown and EA."

You never heard about Oddworld for almost a decade, and then suddenly it's absolutely everywhere. Conversely, there's barely a week in which you don't hear about EA being arseholes to somebody, so no change there.

As much as I love your games Mr. Lanning, I feel that this was a somewhat unprofessional thing to handle things. Even if it was EA.

Bobic:

Cecilthedarkknight_234:
I don't even have words to express this so I leave you all with this~

Please, for the love of god tell me you're being ironic, or saying the news post as a whole gave you cancer. To complain about someone belittling tourettes with a comment that belittling cancer, that is a level of bafflingly low self awareness and high hypocrisy that I can't even compute it. So, I'm going to assume you are being ironic, in which case, well done. If not, see my first page comment, hang head in shame.

Yeah, the hypocrisy being shown be everyone here is astounding. It's like watching armed thugs being shocked at the audacity of police officers shooting at them after they've murders people.

Regardless of what Lanning says, I'm with anything that is the antithesis of EA. They are the supreme asshats of the publishing (scumbags) community.

I am just going to support Lanning here, he seems to be acting more mature than EA here. On another note, does anyone else think that EA being in trouble with the mob is not that hard to believe?

Before reading this I was contemplating about whether I should or shouldn't tell the person I have a job interview with today about my mental illness. Regardless of whether they'd discriminate or not, I'd worry about being discriminated against anyway and I don't want to have that worry about it while I'm working there.

Thank you E.A. You have educated me to keep my problems absolutely to myself instead of letting an employer know that I need an especially safe work environment due to my illness.

Thank you so much. I'm going to go cry now.

If Lanning's crying wolf I think a joke about mental illness is fair enough. EA is the devil incarnate, but that's a light reaction considering what Lanning said.

If it's true, then what Lanning said was completely justified and EA is a dick for having the audacity to deny it.

well if someone actually uses the term 'fuck you very much' in a corporate setting, then unless they have tourettes and cannot control what they are saying, then they are a bit of a dick.

TBH I think EA's approach was less about insulting mental illness and more about 'pretending' to be the bigger man(company?) in this case.

From reading that I get the impression he is lying, but who knows, except themselves?

Lanning always seemed kind of nuts, he made up a huge universe all by himself that was very odd, so I am not surprised he might make up a tale, especially with the jet and Ferrari part, however EA needs to shut the hell up.

Still hoping the Oddworld remakes come to Steam.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here