Senate Candidate Attacked Over World of Warcraft

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

This obviously proves, that games like WoW only produce violent and/or lazy citizens and would never possibly encourage to test or practice social behaviour and skills, for example through simulating a rather complex world with different cultures, parties to site with or fight against, or an implemented guild-system, which simulates dynamic social grouping, including the posibility of different forms of gouvernment/leadership of those guilds and how basic to complex party-issues might work, not to mention, that her guild had a "social-ist" structure.
Also, condemn her for having a modern hobby, she should go into the wild and shoot at real animals, with real guns, like George W.Bush did, that's way more American and way less barbaric than "killing" and competing with NPCs or other players within a digital world ... i guess.
Maybe, she's also a vegetarian. Everybody knows, those are some horrible kind of "subhumans"!

Mitt Romney Style for President!

Unfortunately, i'm not American but only allowed to vote for German parties and politicians (or not), who than abandon what they stand for ;)

Ahh, yes, politics...

Falterfire:
-snip-

I have plenty of friends who are Republican and I'm going to tell you the same thing I tell them.

If you want your party to stop being the butt of everyone's jokes, perhaps you should step up and take some damn control, then.

Because otherwise, you'll continue to be represented by folks who attack a senator for playing WoW, who point to various video games and blame them for destroying American values instead of telling parents to do their job and parent properly, and who claim that learning critical thinking in school teaches children to undermine parental authority and thus should be banned from schools. All of which are things that I have yet to speak to a single Republican friend of mine who honestly believed any of these things. So why do you let these people stand in the spotlight and represent you?

These are the public face of your party. If you don't want these clowns representing you, GET RID OF THEM. Continuing to vote for them simply because they're the Republican candidate offered to you is effectively the same as approving of these policies you clearly don't agree with, so why would you do it? There should come a point at which party loyalty ends and you just stand up and say "enough", and it's pretty obvious that a lot of the sensible Republicans just aren't willing to do that.

Until then, you don't get to bitch about how your party is represented in the public eye. Just like the Democrats don't get to whine about their public image so long as THEY continue to vote in the same morons they're so fond of. >_>

This actually makes me like her a lot more. I don't live in Maine (Texas, actually. Sad, I know.), but it's refreshing to know that there is a politician out there who actually *is* just like me.

I've got to go ahead and voice my disapproval as well, I can't really see someone in politics spending time on World of Warcraft.

I mean, doesn't she know Guild Wars 2 is out? *badum-TISH!*

But seriously, find me a candidate for an executive position that's also an elite EVE Online player and I will vote for them as hard as I've ever voted before.

I'm conservative and I think this is stupid. On of the big things about conservatism is more freedom and keeping private lives private.

More and more I've been thinking that the Republican party isn't conservative. The Democratic party is uber left and the Republican party is left. The only true right wing is left out in the cold without a proper party that can win.

TheRocketeer:

But seriously, find me a candidate for an executive position that's also an elite EVE Online player and I will vote for them as hard as I've ever voted before.

Better not, all EVE-players are pro-piracy, noone wants that! ;)

And here I thought the political ads in GTA 4 and VTMB were exaggerated.

Honestly, I'm surprised that the Republicans haven't tried something like this sooner.

It's just so frustrating. I believe in many "conservative" values, like small government and individual freedoms. Problem is, the GOP isn't even about that anymore. They're just going on insane witch hunts, be it about games, gays, Muslims, whatever. It's ridiculous.

it is a valid concern if she only plays WOW and not actually do her job, but she does her job

Just the fact that she plays Horde is in instant vote from me. The fact that she plays a female Orc means I would campaign for this woman if I lived in Maine.

They can't have it both ways. They condemn her for living in a fantasy world and then condemn her for being "violent". I thought the whole point of a fantasy world is that there is no violence.

Andy Chalk:
snip

Haha they think DPS means DEATHS PER SECOND hahah stupid noobs

This would be 6 degrees of funny if it wasn't so damn sad and pathetic on the part of the Republicans // Leave our beloved Warcraft along, it's got enough problems

-M

she plays video games? those are for little kids and the adults that do are nothing but immature liberals who are american hating unpatriotic serial killers in the making..seems to be the attitude on display from these people

Republicans smell so desperate lately, at least they aren't trying to require special voter ID from WoW players. Or maybe they should...

Gearhead mk2:
...this is the third most stupid and disturbing thing I've seen out of the republican party.

Dare I ask...what's one and two? I assume one of them is 'George Bush', but I'm not American, so don't always hear about their stupidity.

What, no speechless Nathan Fillion gif in this thread yet, I'm disappointed Escapist.

OT:
this is why America can't have nice things.

Am I glad I dont live in America, is what I would say, if it wernt headed in the same direction where I live. Which is real damn funny, with that trend having been started under the pretext of 'making politics exiting again'.

Theres nothing im less interesting in than tabloid scandal drivel.

Captcha: carpe diem. It may have a point.

Tanis:
Faux News.

is it sad that that made me crack up for several minutes?

Seriously?
This is quite funny really because when I joined a political party I was surprised how nerdy they all were. The first meeting had a Star Trek reference! So WHO ARE American politicians?

As has probably already been said... if I was American (which I am not, thankfully, curse your gubrnmint) this would make up my mind about voting for that woman.

Colleen's rogue for President!

What an idiotic thing to attack someone over. I can only hope equally idiotic sites pop up criticising a candidate's favourite movie or a candidate's reading choices. I'm not sure I'd want anyone in political office who thought E L James was worth spending time on. Lets start judging people's suitability for political office on their shoe size.

American politics are weird. I can't imagine a British politician making this sort of very personal attack on a rival without getting shouted down with "distracting from real issues!" comeback. MPs in government have been caught having affairs before, and the opposition hasn't mentioned it.

Sonic Doctor:
I'm conservative and I think this is stupid. On of the big things about conservatism is more freedom and keeping private lives private.

More and more I've been thinking that the Republican party isn't conservative. The Democratic party is uber left and the Republican party is left. The only true right wing is left out in the cold without a proper party that can win.

Actually, looking at things on a world stage, both your political parties come off as pretty uber-right (although the left-right scale makes enormous generalisations and doesn't actually represent the way politics works too well, for example, Australia's "right-wing" conservative party is called the Liberal party, which the Americans I know find hilarious). Mind you, if you're calling the Republicans conservative for their support of freedom and keeping private lives private, then yeah, Republicans certainly aren't conservative. Aren't they the same ones that came up with the Patriot Act?

OT: Not much more to add. Attacking someone for playing a game in their spare time is about as absurd a reason as I can think of.

Wait, they let a normal person into the senate?

Orc running for office? I'd vote for her, for the Horde and all that.

CriticKitten:
If you want your party to stop being the butt of everyone's jokes, perhaps you should step up and take some damn control, then.

Because otherwise, you'll continue to be represented by folks who attack a senator for playing WoW, who point to various video games and blame them for destroying American values instead of telling parents to do their job and parent properly, and who claim that learning critical thinking in school teaches children to undermine parental authority and thus should be banned from schools. All of which are things that I have yet to speak to a single Republican friend of mine who honestly believed any of these things. So why do you let these people stand in the spotlight and represent you?

These are the public face of your party. If you don't want these clowns representing you, GET RID OF THEM. Continuing to vote for them simply because they're the Republican candidate offered to you is effectively the same as approving of these policies you clearly don't agree with, so why would you do it? There should come a point at which party loyalty ends and you just stand up and say "enough", and it's pretty obvious that a lot of the sensible Republicans just aren't willing to do that.

Until then, you don't get to bitch about how your party is represented in the public eye. Just like the Democrats don't get to whine about their public image so long as THEY continue to vote in the same morons they're so fond of. >_>

Brilliant plan! Why didn't I think of that? I'll get right on that whole 'restructuring a major political party' thing! It'll be quick, just gimme a couple minutes. I'll fix human nature so that nobody is stupid ever again and everybody agrees with me forever.

... Okay, done. Anything you'd like me to do?

Also: As others have pointed out, although specifically attacking for the WoW thing is wrong, some of the things she says aren't exactly what you want to hear from an elected official: Wanting to drown somebody in a bathtub? Even as a joke, that's not the sort of wording I'd like to her from somebody I'm voting for.

MorganL4:

Zombie_Moogle:
So she lost the paranoid shut-in vote. ouch

Don't forget about a good portion of the octogenarian vote, most old people I meet have a hard time rapping their brains around the hobby.

Actually, it's gaining popularity in that community. I recently put a copy of Limbo on my 80 year old step-grandmother's laptop

darthmocha:
Just the fact that she plays Horde is in instant vote from me. The fact that she plays a female Orc means I would campaign for this woman if I lived in Maine.

If you are actually serious with this, I find this just as sad as not voting for her for the same reason.

Is anyone else curious as to why she mentions being a democrat in one of those quoted posts? I mean, who talks like that? No one. I never hear people walking down the street saying things like:

"As a steel worker, I like your car."
"As a member of the Green Party, I love this song!"
"Who would have thought that a gay man would enjoy this move?"
"I'm an accountant, and I love that restaurant."

It's just not relevant.

Oh, and yes, a sad desperate attempt that isn't particularly clever, and fails to understand the basic concept of gaming culture. But that's blind to political affiliation, guys. After all, Leland Yee is a democrat.

I think I'm with point-and-boggle crowd. Or point-and-recoil if I'm honest.

Using stereotyping and fear mongering as an actual political tactic isn't unheard of, but is normally not so blatant. Whoever thought of it should be force-fed their own eyes with a fork. What kind of crap has the democratic system become? You're meant to look at the f***ing policies not worry about what they do in their free time.

That is a cheap shot if I ever saw one. It's so ... D U M B !
And yes, she sounds cooler now. o_-

I think it's also copyright infringement or misrepresentation of some sort.
Someone's not taking those things seriously and won't get elected.

Way to shoot oneself in the foot Tory Toadies...

And my DPS (Deaths per second) got higher...
Well at least we know they bothered to investigate this thoroughly.

Saltyk:
Is anyone else curious as to why she mentions being a democrat in one of those quoted posts? I mean, who talks like that? No one. I never hear people walking down the street saying things like:

It's just not relevant.

Mysten:

Saltyk:

It's just not relevant.

*Looks at you avatar*
That's oddly appropriate that you would use that clip.

And Shepard is a bad ass. Of course he can get away with it! Also, he's kind of a celebrity. But honestly, he only gives his name and rank. It's not like he started listing off the groups he belongs to or his religious beliefs. You know, because those were so relevant to his shopping habits.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here