Introduce Yourself to The Elder Scrolls Online

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Introduce Yourself to The Elder Scrolls Online

The Elder Scrolls Online "Introduction" trailer has more than nine minutes of gameplay and guys talking about how awesome it's going to be.

The Elder Scrolls Online is a pretty big deal. It's a high-profile, big-budget MMO based on a well-established and well-loved franchise, all of which, as Star Wars: The Old Republic so aptly demonstrated, means virtually nothing to its potential audience. That could be bad news for Bethesda, or ZeniMax Online Studios to be more precise, because if it can't make the game stand out from the crowd it'll likely sink quickly and quietly into oblivion.

There are two points in this video that strike me as particularly interesting. First, that the game will eschew server shards for a single "mega-server" on which everyone will play, and second, that it "really opens up" once you hit level 50. That's a bold statement, not because there's anything necessarily sinister to it but because it's so open to interpretation in less-than-ideal ways. It makes sense that higher-level characters will be able to see more and do more, but do we really have to grind through 50 levels before things get interesting?

What do we think? It looks The Elder Scrolls but it also looks like an MMO. Will The Elder Scrolls Online have what it takes to square off against World of Warcraft - or at least avoid getting stomped into the ground by it?

It's always amazing with worlds like this, how a thousand years before armor and technology look exactly the same as they do in the current games that are apparently set far later.

Suspension of disbelief only gets you so far.

Can it square off against World of Warcraft?
No... probably not. They're going to need more than that to stay popular and alive.

I have a friend who's played WOW for years. She gets tired of it and it takes on a Facebookish routine of activities for an hour or so every day, but every new expansion she's glued to the computer screen and there's no getting her away from it.

Maybe if they could somehow stop Blizzard from making expansions.

Sigh. Part of me really wants to play this game because I'm liking what I see so far buuuuut I'm scared it'll die off in a few months and nobody will play..

Frostbite3789:
It's always amazing with worlds like this, how a thousand years before armor and technology look exactly the same as they do in the current games that are apparently set far later.

That's usually my one gripe with fantasy settings. Some of them (and in my head I'm thinking about the Game of Thrones Universe) have had civilized society for thousands of years, yet still rely on horses, fire, etc. No steam, no electricity, nada.

You would think they'd have more technology by then, if you juxtaposition it to the real world's timeline of events regarding human civilization and inventions.

Mixed feelings about this, really don't know. After the latest failures in the industry you really shouldn't be expecting much of it. Let's see how it turns out.

To quote Yahtzee, "It always LOOKS good".

Frostbite3789:

It kinda makes sense if the people who make the technology/armor aren't around anymore. Y'know, kinda like the Dwemer.

parts of this video were "meh" to me. The combat looks a bit weird. But mostly I was really impressed. The environments and visuals are amazing and it definitely FEELS like an elder scrolls game, and HOLY FUCK that PVP demo at the end was amazing!

I really hope the actual pvp is like that because I think that will be so much fun to be a part of these massive battles complete with siege weaponry and castle defense.I've never seen an online game that does that (or really any single player games other than RTS's)

kodra:

Frostbite3789:

It kinda makes sense if the people who make the technology/armor aren't around anymore. Y'know, kinda like the Dwemer.

You're saying not one other species of people in that world have the wherewithal to be like "Tired of this, advancing technology."

They are really going to need to take a page out of Guild Wars if they want player cooperation to work.

Mumorpuger:

Frostbite3789:

That's usually my one gripe with fantasy settings. Some of them (and in my head I'm thinking about the Game of Thrones Universe) have had civilized society for thousands of years, yet still rely on horses, fire, etc. No steam, no electricity, nada.

You would think they'd have more technology by then, if you juxtaposition it to the real world's timeline of events regarding human civilization and inventions.

At least with Game of Thrones, it could be argued, that the long winters that kill off so many people could hinder a lot of advancement.

It looks somewhat like they are trying to refine what GW2 started. Hopefully if they do, they can make combat more interesting then GW2's nonsensical button mashing. And it doesn't fall prey to Bethesda's habit of releasing extremely buggy games.

I really want this game to be awesome... but have... a lot of doubt :(

I'm really not looking forward to this. There are a couple of things they say in the video that makes me worried.

First they talk about how you can choose any weapon/armor/etc combination. What they don't understand is that -any- MMO will eventually boil down to min maxing and there will always be one weapon or combination of weapon/armor that is best, even if it is only best numerically and people will feel pressured to choose that one. This is true for all games but in a single player game you can do what feels the most fun for you, but in an MMO you have the weight of expectations from others that influence your decisions. You don't want to be a burden to your guild or group because your build isn't "good".

Second, the fact that everything in the trailer is in third person makes me feel that the combat will simply be the same point and slash as every other MMO. It's awkward as hell swinging a melee weapon accurately in third person so instead of being Elder Scrolls combat it will be WoW or GW2 combat.

Picking classes... sigh. Not Elder Scrolls. At least not Elder Scrolls as I know it. I'll admit that I haven't played the earlier Elder Scrolls (Daggerfall etc) but I have played every Elder Scrolls game and expansion from Morrowind onwards and classes don't even fit into the concept.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they can make a decent game, hell it may even be a good MMO. But it's sounding to me like it will be just a regular MMo with an Elder Scrolls skin. I'll just wait for the next single player game.

I really really want this to be good...
Ah, who am I kidding, I'll probably buy it regardless of quality.

Left click to attack
Hold for power attack
Right click to block

Those three things have done quite a bit to reduce my endless pessimism towards this project. That is one step toward TES and one away from WoW(it was previously stated that the game would have action bar combat).

Note that I am not yet optimistic. The whole pvp emperor thing is still fairly ridiculous. But I can now say that there is something I don't hate about the game, and I suppose that's a start.

I would play it...but I can't stand MMO's so I will give it a miss, hope it doesn't bomb though and if it does, I hope it doesn't bomb TOO badly...

Frostbite3789:

kodra:

Frostbite3789:

You're saying not one other species of people in that world have the wherewithal to be like "Tired of this, advancing technology."

Tired of what? Magic? What could be accomplished by very early industrial revolution era tech that magic can't do better?

This looks like a massive graphics hog haha but you can sign me up

It looks awesome, and I would love to play it. However I won't buy it if it's a subscription based game. I just don't have the time to play MMOs regularly and I'm not going to pay a monthly fee to play a game that I may only get a couple days of play every month or two in.

Domogo:
This looks like a massive graphics hog haha but you can sign me up

Yeah looks like I might have to upgrade by the time this comes out. And if those massive PvP battles are real then I foresee -25 fps :(

Looks interesting, even though I'm not going to play it anyway because I just don't like MMO's.
I have to say that I'm sceptical about the whole "character personilization" thing. While they say you can make your character look unique by choosing the armor you wear, they all just look like a grey blob to me. Add to that the fact that eventually an ideal build -will- be discovered, and you're going to end up with a lot of samey grey blobs running around the place.
Actually, the greyness of the visuals bothered me in skyrim too. It was really jarring after playing the ludicrously colorful oblivion.

Andy Chalk:
... and second, that it "really opens up" once you hit level 50. That's a bold statement, not because there's anything necessarily sinister to it but because it's so open to interpretation in less-than-ideal ways. It makes sense that higher-level characters will be able to see more and do more, but do we really have to grind through 50 levels before things get interesting?

That part bugs me. Ive played Wow. When I was asking my guild why they dont organize a raid in the old dungeons, they kept telling me that the old dungeons suck, get to level 70. That when the fun starts...

That is my personal reason for wanting Wow to die...

If this is whats going to happen, I think Ill just stick with "boring, old" Singleplayer TES.

Theminimanx:
Looks interesting, even though I'm not going to play it anyway because I just don't like MMO's.
I have to say that I'm sceptical about the whole "character personilization" thing. While they say you can make your character look unique by choosing the armor you wear, they all just look like a grey blob to me. Add to that the fact that eventually an ideal build -will- be discovered, and you're going to end up with a lot of samey grey blobs running around the place.
Actually, the greyness of the visuals bothered me in skyrim too. It was really jarring after playing the ludicrously colorful oblivion.

Do you play on PC? if so you could install an ENB that makes it look crazy good
However I do agree oblivion looked much better (I actually prefer Oblivion to Skyrim but don't tell anyone)

Domogo:

Theminimanx:

Do you play on PC? if so you could install an ENB that makes it look crazy good
However I do agree oblivion looked much better (I actually prefer Oblivion to Skyrim but don't tell anyone)

I don't actually own Skyrim, I just saw some gameplay footage. Don't know what ENB stands for, but google brought me to this mod, which looks great. I'll have to remember that one for when I buy the inevitable GotY edition.

Theminimanx:

I don't actually own Skyrim, I just saw some gameplay footage. Don't know what ENB stands for, but google brought me to this mod, which looks great. I'll have to remember that one for when I buy the inevitable GotY edition.

To tell you the truth I don't either haha but I can tell you that it is totally worth figuring out how to actually install it

Frostbite3789:

Mumorpuger:

Frostbite3789:

It's not all that odd.

Our bronze age lasted about 3000 years. That's an awful long time to go from being able to smelt iron to being able to reliably craft useful items with it (which heralded in the iron age).

Not to mention that that's 3000 years for our most advanced of societies. Even today there are still tribes hidden away in a few spots on earth that live stone age lifestyles and have been for literally thousands of years.

Especially if you consider that both those worlds have magic, although with a Game of Thrones it's mostly in the past. All of our technology came from simple beginnings. If there was magic that made those simple beginnings unnecessary then all the following inventions would've never happened.

Why invent the wheel when you can reliably float stuff around? How can you ever invent a car having never discovered the wheel?

Not going to lie, I'm getting a really strong GW2 vibe from the design decisions the developers kept mentioning. This pleases me quite a bit, as I feel those are really good decisions to go with. However, not so thrilled if the game sticks with a subscription model - would really prefer TES not pulling a Warcraft and throwing aside a series of games I quite liked for a subscription model that just costs too much.

There has been major advancements in the Elder Scrolls world. It's just been largely focused in magic. Even the Dwemer, who were the most technologically advanced civilization in the Elder Scrolls series relied heavily on magic for most of their constructs. That being said much of the power generated in their cities is steam powered and their knowledge of engineering is clearly evident.

It would be really cool to play an Elder Scrolls game with a heavy emphasis on the Dwemer, but part of me hopes they never reveal what happened to them. I think the mystery of what became of them is far more interesting than having them return.

That looks a lot better than I was expecting, I really hope this isn't subscription based.

Not into MMO's normally because I despise grinding (I can think of more enjoyable ways to spend my gaming time), if they can make it fun to level up and play, without it ever feeling like a chore, then I may have an interest.

Although to be honest a Fallout MMO strikes me as much more interesting.

Eclipse Dragon:

Maybe if they could somehow stop Blizzard from making expansions.

I'm afraid They will hold the world hostage forever!!!Unless we give'em:

Hagi:

Frostbite3789:

Mumorpuger:

Frostbite3789:

It's not all that odd.

Our bronze age lasted about 3000 years. That's an awful long time to go from being able to smelt iron to being able to reliably craft useful items with it (which heralded in the iron age).

Not to mention that that's 3000 years for our most advanced of societies. Even today there are still tribes hidden away in a few spots on earth that live stone age lifestyles and have been for literally thousands of years.

Especially if you consider that both those worlds have magic, although with a Game of Thrones it's mostly in the past. All of our technology came from simple beginnings. If there was magic that made those simple beginnings unnecessary then all the following inventions would've never happened.

Why invent the wheel when you can reliably float stuff around? How can you ever invent a car having never discovered the wheel?

I can see what you mean, sure, but some fantasy universes have civilized societies that have existed for tens of thousands of years. Those are the worlds that truly make me say things like: "Really? Still using messenger birds?" and things like that.

Mumorpuger:
I can see what you mean, sure, but some fantasy universes have civilized societies that have existed for tens of thousands of years. Those are the worlds that truly make me say things like: "Really? Still using messenger birds?" and things like that.

On that I definitely agree.

I just don't think it quite applies to these two. The Elder Scrolls might be stretching it a bit but a Game of Thrones is about as realistic as it gets.

Especially since there are a few more advanced technologies around, explosives to name one, but they're quite mistrusted as they bear association to the mad king who greatly enjoyed burning just about everyone.

Scars Unseen:
Left click to attack
Hold for power attack
Right click to block

Those three things have done quite a bit to reduce my endless pessimism towards this project. That is one step toward TES and one away from WoW(it was previously stated that the game would have action bar combat).

Note that I am not yet optimistic. The whole pvp emperor thing is still fairly ridiculous. But I can now say that there is something I don't hate about the game, and I suppose that's a start.

Same here, that ONE thing just got my interested again. I was really afraid it was going to be another beautiful game you can't enjoy looking at because you're too busy looking at hotkey cycles. The mix of scenery, and some of the small details, like seeing the shield on the character's back when not in use, and knowing it has an actual fighting system that doesn't involve clicking a bunch of damned hotkeys just got me a tiny bit excited to see what else happens.

One of the things that made me so sad about SWTOR is how great the fight animations are, just as they were in KotOR, but you never get a chance to sit and watch them like you could in KotOR because you're too busy with hotkey babysitting. I used to love using the pause combat to queue up a bunch of attacks in KotOR and just watch it play out. This looks like it'll be much more action oriented, and anything that moves MMOs away from hotkey combat is a big plus.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here