Wranglers: Hobbit Production Responsible for 27 Animal Deaths

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Sean951:
I would recommend you look up what the American Humane Society actually does before dissing it and incompetent.

Here is their home page.

Please direct me to the part of the page that explains how they missed 27 dead animals while making sure No Animals Were Harmed, I'm not clever enough to find it.

They complain that the farm was beyond their jurisdiction and they need more power (of course), yet they didn't see fit to complain or threaten even though they saw the place? Apparently a national organization doesn't even have the power to make a media stink.

And meanwhile the Humane Society of the United States is actively making the lives of animals worse and keeping local shelters from getting money.

In my experience, if you want to actually help animals, you go local.

Raggedstar:
The problem with New Zealand is this: The terrain isn't the easiest to keep animals on.

Don't be silly. New Zealand isn't one massive mass of steep, hilly terrain that is no good for keeping horses. That is like me saying Canada is terrible for farming because of all the mountains. Pretty ignorant right? In fact dairy products make up over 20% of New Zealand's exports. Trust me this place is perfect for keeping animals.

Magichead:

Casual Shinji:
This movie just can't get rid of its bad buzz, can it?

Still, one doubts this is the only time this has happened on a movie set. What about all those movies that have horses fall over? Sure, they're trained for that kind of thing, but you can't tell me a good deal of them didn't meet their fate by breaking their leg during these particular moments.

Still, when 27 animals die because of negligence, that's nothing to sneeze at.

When the group bringing attention to those deaths is PETA, an organisation not only responsible for many, many, MANY more animal deaths than 27, but also for funding a group which threatens, terrorises, and assaults sentient human beings, destroys their property, and has allegedly been involved in several human deaths, then you're right, it's nothing to sneeze at; it's something to snort derisively at.

Seriously, how are these shitbags still not in prison? The USA has tried to extradite British IT technicians in order to try them as terrorists just because they maintained a server which had the fucking email account of a suspected terrorist on it, yet these PETA cunts regularly funnel money into a group who sent threats to a good friend of mine threatening to fucking rape her because she works in medical research(which is "raping" animals, according to these ALF whackjobs).

Anyone who supports PETA is scum, anyone who donates money to PETA is scum, and anyone who lends even the slightest shred of credibility to PETA is scum.

Just because PETA are dickfaces doesn't mean that having 27 animals die for no apparent reason isn't bad thing though. And from what I read, it was the wranglers who rung the bell. PETA simply got wind of it and is now going to picket at the premiere.

But like I said, I doubt this is the first time this has ever happened on a movie set.

Casual Shinji:
Just because PETA are dickfaces doesn't mean that having 27 animals die for no apparent reason isn't bad thing though. And from what I read, it was the wranglers who rung the bell. PETA simply got wind of it and is now going to picket at the premiere.

But like I said, I doubt this is the first time this has ever happened on a movie set.

Except that the allegations are untrue and have already been debunked numerous times over.

Like most things that PETA claims to be true.

SpiderJerusalem:

Casual Shinji:

Except that the allegations are untrue and have already been debunked numerous times over.

Like most things that PETA claims to be true.

I didn't catch the rest of the thread, but like I said, even if it was true I doubt things like this haven't happened before on movies. Afterall plenty of stuntmen kick the bucket while on the job all the time. I don't reckon stunt animals are much luckier. Not that these supposedly dead animals in the article were stunt animals, but you get the idea.

So why couldn't they use the same method of whatever it is to look after the animal in the first film (or did they had alot more animals in The Hobbit)? I assume the animals used were for the scene in Hobbiton since as far as I know the animal were fine in the first film.

There must have been a source for the PETA funding of terror groups other than the website of one such terror group. I'm not overly paranoid about it but some folks might not like clicking a link that takes them to a website run by the ALF, a US based group identified as terrorists by the FBI.

Other than that, PETA sucks. They are attention sniffing whores who love money far more than animals. Can't trust someone who claims that it's evil to use animal derived insulin but says it's OK for her to use it so she can "fight the good fight."

If it's OK for her, it's OK for other folks but god help you if you want to use around these pricks.

Yeah PETA sucks. Carry on,

i love it how PETA's reputation is so bad that even when they make a good point everyone just ignores and laughs at it.

Xan Krieger:
PETA is in the right on this one, these deaths were avoidable and the fact that they didn't prevent the deaths in the first place is reason enough to protest it. If a movie costs innocent lives the movie should never even be released.

PETA kills animals on a regular basis, far more than accidentally died during the filming (Or died of natural causes during the filming) of this one film.

How about this: An animal charity that costs the lives of animals on a regular basis should not be allowed to exist.

For comparison why not compare PETA with, say, the RSPCA? Compare strategies and aims and tell me which is the more ethical group.

No matter how decent the cause is the moment PETA touches it it becomes toxic.

Animals getting killed by natural death traps...i thought it was natural selection <.<

Dammit people. Some animal protection stuff actually does matter. Yes PETA are asshole but the article isn't even about them, they are literally mentioned ZERO times in the linked article and mentioned in ONE SENTENCE here.

People need to stop using their justifiable hatred for PETA and putting them on issues that have nothing to do with them.

I'll buy 3 tickets and give them away for free, to help make up for the PETA idiots will will boycott this film. Just because I'm spiteful like that.

Now, there could be a real issue here. These are very serious claims, that should be considered even though ancidents do happen, especially seeming as two animals dying in accidents is a sad but likely eventuality, whereas twenty-seven of them dying...not so much.

And then there's PETA. It probably says a lot about them that I just want them to fuck off even though I believe there's a possible case here.

So far numerous major news sources have picked up the story that corrects the allegations. Including statements made by Jackson, Weta, Wingnut and the people who OWN the animals in question. Everyone denies PETA's bullshit.

What does Escapist do? Lifts it up into the head banner and refuses to even add into the article that the story is developing.

What's up, Jonathan Grey Carter? Was Peter Jackson mean to you once?

RandomMan01:

dragongit:
The problem about picketing ouside of a Lord of the Rings film, unlike most films say Harry Potter or even Star Wars, many of them will probably be in costume, weilding wooden to dull bladed weapons. You'll likely have a whole army chasing you down the street if you try to prevent them from seeing the movie.

They WILL release the trolls on those PETA assholes.

One of those will probably be me. If any one of those assholes try to get in the way of me seeing that movie, I will personally hold them down and beat them to a pulp.

I guess we'll see each other in person, and we'll settle it like men. And don't look for me near those PETA idiots that cause more harm than good, to hell with them.

Walking in front of a bus is quite easily avoided, PETA, but it still happens. Look both ways before crossing, kiddies. If they try to get in the way of the cinema I'll be visiting, the number of deaths for which The Hobbit is responsible may well go up.

I can't say for sure if that is true; such things are often...suspect. Though, it is unacceptable that such things are occurring, if they are. That's just wildly irresponsible on the half of the crew.

Uh... seriously? I mean, PETA is an idiotic organization, there's no denying that, but if 27 animals died avoidable deaths...

DrunkOnEstus:

RandomMan01:

dragongit:
The problem about picketing ouside of a Lord of the Rings film, unlike most films say Harry Potter or even Star Wars, many of them will probably be in costume, weilding wooden to dull bladed weapons. You'll likely have a whole army chasing you down the street if you try to prevent them from seeing the movie.

They WILL release the trolls on those PETA assholes.

One of those will probably be me. If any one of those assholes try to get in the way of me seeing that movie, I will personally hold them down and beat them to a pulp.

I guess we'll see each other in person, and we'll settle it like men. And don't look for me near those PETA idiots that cause more harm than good, to hell with them.

Yes...let's. Come at me, my drunken friend...or foe... acquaintance?

Angel Molina:

(Also, I know this img. is too big, but i don't know how to make it smaller, does anyone know how to shrink images? Thanks in advance)

Just stick it in spoiler tags:

OT: As is usual with PETA, they've come late to the party, after the problems been sorted and decided to kick up a stink over nothing. Seriously who keeps funding these idiots?

Their sacrifice will not be in vain. We'll get a cool movie out of it!

I lol'd at PETA.

I really don't care, farm animals die all the time.

I'm curious if the response to this would still be 'positive' if the movie in question was some trash exploitation film like say The Human Centipede 2.

Mr F.:

Xan Krieger:
PETA is in the right on this one, these deaths were avoidable and the fact that they didn't prevent the deaths in the first place is reason enough to protest it. If a movie costs innocent lives the movie should never even be released.

PETA kills animals on a regular basis, far more than accidentally died during the filming (Or died of natural causes during the filming) of this one film.

How about this: An animal charity that costs the lives of animals on a regular basis should not be allowed to exist.

For comparison why not compare PETA with, say, the RSPCA? Compare strategies and aims and tell me which is the more ethical group.

I hate PETA but even assholes are right sometimes. PETA may do crap like want to setup a slaughterhouse scented billboard in my town or do the dumbest protests anyone here can think of but on rare occasions like this they're right.

KeyMaster45:

Xan Krieger:

Too little too late for PETA to protest? The animals aren't being kept on the farm anymore and it's not like they continued to ignore the problem. Besides it's just a bunch of farm animals, hardly any reason to lose sleep over, so saying the movie should never be released because 27 of them died is rather ridiculous.

So a movie costs 27 lives and that isn't enough to lose sleep over? How many innocent deaths is too many?

Formica Archonis:
Why am I not surprised? I've yet to see a group with "humane" in the title that wasn't a bunch of incompetents or an outright racket.

Ironic really how we use the word "humane." Humans are the ones that cause animal suffering, whether it be through wilful harm or ignorant neglect. It might be said that compassion and mercy are human only qualities, but so is mindless violence and the pleasure in another's suffering. To treat something with the qualities of our race seems arrogant at best and downright hypocritical at worst.

It's sad to me, that PETA decides to protest now when all things have been resolved with the set and the farm.
I mean, Peter Jackson even adopted three pigs to give them happy, settled lives.

Despite the obvious, I am starting to think PETA doesn't really care about animals but rather making a scene for publicity support.

CardinalPiggles:
All I got from this article was an apatite.

That's really gneiss.

I really can't take PETA seriously any more (Not that I ever really did in the first place). But I mean really, they just reek of hypocrisy.

Their representatives are like bipolar monkeys who only do this because they regret being the cause of daddy and mommy splitting up when they were three years old.

Caramel Frappe:
It's sad to me, that PETA decides to protest now when all things have been resolved with the set and the farm.
I mean, Peter Jackson even adopted three pigs to give them happy, settled lives.

Despite the obvious, I am starting to think PETA doesn't really care about animals but rather making a scene for publicity support.

Agreed. Unfortunately I wouldn't be surprised if there was more negative opinion towards PETA than the animal cruelty they say they stand against, all because they can't keep from spending their money on making attempted ignorant and obnoxious guilt-trips towards everybody over menial "issues" rather than, oh I don't know, preventing actual animal cruelty.

Xan Krieger:

Mr F.:

Xan Krieger:

I hate PETA but even assholes are right sometimes. PETA may do crap like want to setup a slaughterhouse scented billboard in my town or do the dumbest protests anyone here can think of but on rare occasions like this they're right.

KeyMaster45:

Xan Krieger:

Too little too late for PETA to protest? The animals aren't being kept on the farm anymore and it's not like they continued to ignore the problem. Besides it's just a bunch of farm animals, hardly any reason to lose sleep over, so saying the movie should never be released because 27 of them died is rather ridiculous.

So a movie costs 27 lives and that isn't enough to lose sleep over? How many innocent deaths is too many?

Right, I am just going to question your use of language here.

For innocence or guilt to be established, something has to be capable of thought and forethought to the degree where they can consciously commit an act. Animals are not capable of this. Animals are not particularly intelligent. Well, with the exception of dolphins, some primates and whales. Most animals are pretty fucking dumb.

The animals listed here are all pretty dumb. And, for the record, all shit I have eaten. Horse tastes good. As does sheep.

It is regrettable that some animals died in the filming of the hobbit but shit happens. Birds are killed by cars on a daily basis, should all cars that have struck birds be removed from the road? Planes occasionally strike birds, should all flight paths known to have ever struck birds be cancelled?

A film the size of the hobbit cost millions. Whilst it is all well and good to go "CANCEL IT! INNOCENT HORSES DIED TO MAKE THIS FILM" it is also incredibly incredibly stupid. The damage that the studio would face if it cancelled its entire multi-million dollar enterprise would be immense, people would lose jobs, it would be hell.

Sorry, sometimes people need some perspective. Whilst the accidental deaths of animals is regrettable and preventable, it doesn't actually matter that much. It genuinely annoys me when people get so angry about a few horses or a fucking chicken. People matter more, lots more.

Well, that's my two cents on the issue.

I think its about time everyone took a step back, breathed deeply and actually thought about what they were saying.

27 dead animals? Woah, that really raises my concerns about that movie...*PETA is involved* Aaaaand they're gone.

Mr F.:

Xan Krieger:

Mr F.:

KeyMaster45:

Right, I am just going to question your use of language here.

For innocence or guilt to be established, something has to be capable of thought and forethought to the degree where they can consciously commit an act. Animals are not capable of this. Animals are not particularly intelligent. Well, with the exception of dolphins, some primates and whales. Most animals are pretty fucking dumb.

The animals listed here are all pretty dumb. And, for the record, all shit I have eaten. Horse tastes good. As does sheep.

It is regrettable that some animals died in the filming of the hobbit but shit happens. Birds are killed by cars on a daily basis, should all cars that have struck birds be removed from the road? Planes occasionally strike birds, should all flight paths known to have ever struck birds be cancelled?

A film the size of the hobbit cost millions. Whilst it is all well and good to go "CANCEL IT! INNOCENT HORSES DIED TO MAKE THIS FILM" it is also incredibly incredibly stupid. The damage that the studio would face if it cancelled its entire multi-million dollar enterprise would be immense, people would lose jobs, it would be hell.

Sorry, sometimes people need some perspective. Whilst the accidental deaths of animals is regrettable and preventable, it doesn't actually matter that much. It genuinely annoys me when people get so angry about a few horses or a fucking chicken. People matter more, lots more.

Well, that's my two cents on the issue.

I think its about time everyone took a step back, breathed deeply and actually thought about what they were saying.

I thought about what I'm saying, I just value horses more than people. People have treated me like crap, horses have treated me kindly, thus horses on higher on the value list for me.

Tanis:
PETA murders THOUSANDS of animals each year...

They have NO RIGHT to bitch about 27.

I'm not sure why so many people on this thread think that matters.

What about those of us that DON'T kill thousands of animals each year? Can we complain about it?

The only thing that bothers me is that the deaths could have been avoided...

But honestly, PETA has done far worse to animals than Hollywood ever could do. Can't wait for the film!

I dont personally care for LotR regardless, so whileI wont be seeing the movies, PETA cant claim it as a victory for them.

... still, youd think you would at least film makers would take a bit more care than this. I dont personally live on a farm so i dont know the cost but I cant imagine horses are cheap.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here