Intel Strategy Shuts Out PC Enthusiasts

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

I'm confused. Why does this end custom built PC's? Sure, you might not be able to upgrade the cpu, but beside that, there is effectively no difference? Or am I missing something?

I'm a little worried by this. But I think they will hurt themselves so much with it that they will have to go back. Also, in order for the new architecture to be successful, software will need to written for it, and one thing about developers, they will only ever go with the platform that has the biggest consumer base. Intel makes awesome processors, but everything else they do is shit, so I don't anticipate this to do much for them. They are effectively hurting the only thing they are good at.

This really isn't that big a deal.

Intel keeping a socket standard more than two years/chip generations is already pretty rare, the standard cpu upgrade usually involves a new motherboard and this just makes it necessary.

With any luck it will make the assembly as a whole (mobo plus cpu) cheaper. It could make life difficult for smaller board manufacturers though, I bet Asus, Msi and Foxcon will already be having their supply deals for chips booked in right now.

Alternatively, this could be Intel moving towards a more ARM like model, where they design, sell the designs and other people manufacture. That could be interesting.

Kumagawa Misogi:
Yawn this means Intel will sell CPU's to OEM's who will sell CPU/Motherboard combos exactly like how Nvidia and AMD sell GPU's to OEM's to put on graphic cards.

That sounds far, FAR more likely than Intel trying to get into a pissing match with OEMs... at least not until their reputation outside of CPU manufacture improves significantly.

Its hard to say how it will pan out...

As some have noted , the sockets change nearly every time Intel make a new CPU so most Intel fans have had to change mobo's anyways.
I still have AMD myself and took advantage of the AM,AM+,AM2 (etc) backwards compatibility of my mobo... bought the mobo and put in the old CPU from my older mobo, then later when the higher end AMD CPU's dropped in price I put in the newer CPU straight in.

If Intel do get too pushy though they will do well to remember what happened to IBM and its dominance over the PC market, IBM got too greedy compatibles were born (I think Intel started that ?!?)
There are other CPU manufacturers out there ready to jump in if Intel slip up, Cyrix, Motorola (who generally make RISc based chips), AMD (of course).

I am suprised , I figured Intel would be more about preventing OC'ing rather than hard inserting CPUs.

ASnogarD:
I am suprised , I figured Intel would be more about preventing OC'ing rather than hard inserting CPUs.

Look at how many Ivy Bridge CPUs are locked out from OCing already.

Seriously Andy, for shame.

This is a half-accurate scare piece, and you do need to verify your sources better.

To be exact - nothing's been confirmed, and even the likely scenario is one architecture not supporting sockets. All the rest is conjecture. It's likely these processors will go to uses the performance enthusiasts do not care about anyway.

Well this changes exactly nothing. Just now instead of buying a mobo and then searching for a CPU to use with it or vice versa, you're going to buy both as a single package. There's still gonna be a wide variety of board/cpu combinations. Any Intel upgrade now that's worth getting now requires a new board anyway. Third parties are gonna get the processor from Intel and build it into their board like they do with GPU's.

This is more a simplification for the consumer than a complication.

AMD's future looked grim and now their biggest competitor has handed them the golden ticket to salvation, what a moronic move from intel.

How this idea came to be: "GUYS, we need to shoot ourselves in the foot! Any idea?"

Oddly enough, PC enthusiasts take great care in knowing what kinds of parts they're buying and the only way they can pull this off is through pre-built. People putting together a custom machine right now won't think twice about skipping this new brand of processor-motherboard etc hybrid. Bad move intel.

The OEM guys are going to hit Intel with an anti trust if they don't license the mainboard with the cpu.

From a technical standpoint, is there any advantage to making a direct connection rather than socket? Would that improve performance at all?

This whole story seems blown out of proportion to me. I mean, if I want to upgrade my processor now I already have to look at a new mobo because the sockets and RAM types have changed in the ~6 years since I built my computer. So I'd be looking at a new mobo/CPU combo anyway. Makes no difference to me if it's soldered to the board or not...that's just one less chance for me to screw something up like bending a pin. The only thing that would concern me is if the mobo/CPU combination was more expensive than the two parts would be individually.

Having read a fair bit about this on different forums, I can tell you right now that the source is from a translated text which got the google-translate treatment, so a lot got lost in translation.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1729595&page=3

Second last post on that page has the "real" translation of it.

-- Intel will not provide new products for Desktop and non-BGA laptop segments in Broadwell era
-- Instead, they will provide higher clocked Haswell for those segments in 2014
-- Broadwell is "more than tick", and it will include some technologies that were previously planned for Skylake
-- This is because Intel needs to be more competitive in the tablet market, and this may mean the end of Tick-Tock strategy
-- It mentions nothing about Skylake and later or if they will be LGA or not for the desktop

So despair not enthusiasts.

Well, I am actually kinda glad I waited with building that custom PC, had eyes on some intel stuff - now? Not so much. Then again, let's wait and see, could easily be the out-of-proportion context that some people claim it to be.

So, does this mean that in order to replace a CPU, one would have to replace the entire motherboard? Fine by me. When my CPU gets too old, it's time to get a new PC.

This has to be the most exaggerated article I read on the Escapist. It might affect custom PC building/modifying, but it shouldn't have much to do with PC gaming.

This is not only a horribly stupid idea but it's a fucking huge step backwards. I remember the first computer my family had was a Radio Shack Tandy brand computer with a 286 processor that was permanently fixed to the motherboard. I was thinking about my next PC having an Intel processor in it but if they're gonna pull this kind of bullshit I may just go with a higher end AMD.

And as usual no one gives the technical details. Can I get some to see exactly what the deal is? I don't see a problem with upgrading motherboards. The one thing I also want is the prices on their chips to go down; they're expensive for what they offer at times.

I'll stick with my AMD system, thank you.

Intel has been on the Bleeding edge of performance but AMD has always been quality merchandise. Their CPUs run quiet and cool (My quad core Phenom Black Edition never goes above 50C, and that's with the stock cooling system under heavy load), Their Video cards are currently THE BEST on the market (the ATi Radeon HD6990 out performs GeForces GTX 590) and does so with significantly less power draw and temperature.

Avaholic03:
From a technical standpoint, is there any advantage to making a direct connection rather than socket?

Yeah but it comes with just as many disadvantages, too.

Boris Goodenough:
-- This is because Intel needs to be more competitive in the tablet market

This is it, people. As much as I hate the things, tablets (and by extension smartphones) are where the next few years are heading, and if you're not in that market then you're not in the market. Microsoft figured that out (hence Windows 8) and Intel are catching on - show me a Samsung tablet where you can swap out the processor. No, on-board is the norm now, to be closely followed by off-chip - the raw clock speed of the die will stop being the thing when they realise that they can lower the heat overhead and thus raise the power output by pulling the GPU out.

Tower machines? Enthusiasts still swear by them, but you can't run a company aiming only for the enthusiasts. Sad but true. And towers are done, as far as the mainstream is concerned.

aceman67:
I'll stick with my AMD system, thank you.

Intel has been on the Bleeding edge of performance but AMD has always been quality merchandise. Their CPUs run quiet and cool (My quad core Phenom Black Edition never goes above 50C, and that's with the stock cooling system under heavy load), Their Video cards are currently THE BEST on the market (the ATi Radeon HD6990 out performs GeForces GTX 590) and does so with significantly less power draw and temperature.

Why do you mention 1 year old tech? The lastest battle is between the AMD radeon 7990 ("unofficial" card though) and the Nvidia GeForce 690.

If Intel continue to sell socket CPUs at the current standard, I'd buy them, even if they want to have some sideshow where they make freakish abominations in an attempt to capitalize on that market.

If there is no intel option available, I will take AMD.

People want a certain product, if you're not going to sell it, don't expect them to buy "Something similar" when somebody is selling what they want in the first place.

Karadalis:
Oh? Wanting to pull a microsoft here, arent we intel? Wonder if the EU will sue them like they did with microsoft... i think soldering your CPU down to motherboards is more dire then delivering your internet explorer with windows...

Newsflash: Apple has been doing that since the launch of the new macbook pros ( see https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4142445?start=0&tstart=0 ), Not just with the CPU but also with the RAM

and i understood none of that, but, if it annoys or generally put out the more vocal 'PC Elites', then as some one who cares very little about 'which platform is better' the fallout from this well greatly amuse me

*acquires popcorn*

What, you people think AMD will still be in business in 5 years time? Are you serious?

This would be the equivalent of Intel shutting down the entire PC gaming industry. Unless in partnership with hardware manufacturers of Mobos, Dimms, PSUs and GPUs, it's not going to happen.

Oh it's from SEMIACCURATE of all places. Right, thanks for that tabloid journalism.

I will be buying a Mac, but I can see AMD sales improving.

Stryc9:
I may just go with a higher end AMD.

What "higher end AMD" do you think exists? Intel now leads AMD in price/performance at every single tier of the market.

I've never upgraded a CPU. VGA, many times, but never a CPU. Twice when my mobo got fried I got a new one with a new CPU. So I'm thinking it's not really a big deal.

It's definitely nice to have a choice between mutiple CPUs and multiple mobos, but remember one thing - a CPU socket is a really expensive thing. By removing both parts of the socket (male and female), you can have a cheaper mobo/cpu combo which means you can have more power than with two separate parts.

If this is true, which I highly doubt it is, I'm truly glad that AMD will be able to expand its business practices. One of the reasons why they have poor profit margins is they simply don't have the money to throw at new manufacturing processes like Intel does, so their chips tend to lag a half generation behind.

However, the source site SemiAccurate has received letters from MULTIPLE hardware vendors requesting they shut down the site as many of the "articles" they post are sketchy at best, with most being straight up incorrect.

Either way, only time will tell I suppose

some how i cant see intel throwing away all that market then again we should make sure AMD is in a position to better take up the slack i will be putting AMD in my machine like usual but what are YOU! going to do??

Andy Chalk:
Intel Strategy Shuts Out PC Enthusiasts

Broadwell is the 14nm "shrink" of the Haswell microarchitecture, which is the successor to Ivy Bridge architecture present in Intel's Core series of CPUs, none of which is particularly relevant to anyone but the most die-hard PC nerds. But this may be: According to reports, Broadwell will not be released in an LGA package - that is, a chip that can be inserted into and removed from sockets - but instead will come soldered directly to motherboards. Even for just casual PC fans, that's bad news.

Doom theory aside, would there be any benefit to having a CPU soldered to the MB? The only difference I can think of is that it'll have slightly more heat retention from the extra solder, there's got to be a positive side right? I mean, they can't really market it as a blatant hostile market grab that makes the item itself worse.

I wouldn't mind horribly, except... I've never gotten the impression Intel was particularly good at making motherboards. I've never seen a spec for a custom-built system that said, "but what you really want, if you can get it, is an Intel motherboard." Their onboard graphics options have always been third-rate, even before AMD bought up ATi, and they have little incentive to offer the range of options modern motherboard manufacturers (say that three times fast) make available to consumers.

So... crap. I guess I need to get to building the best Windows 7 PC money can buy right about now, huh?

Good thing I'm running an AMD set up.

My first IBM did not have a parallel port. My first 486 SX25 had no CD ROM or Sound Card. I had to put those in. Now, I have fiber optic 5.1 surround sound coming out of my motherboard. Intel has HD4000 graphics coming out of its chips. The Tegra 3 has 5 processing cores... for what used to be for telephones. Everything is in a state of flux and I have no idea who will come out on top.

Sure, it might be AMD if they keep the current business model. But if Intel Chips come faster and cheaper soldered on to a motherboard, we'll buy it.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here