4chan Powers Kim Jong Un in Time's "Person of the Year" Poll

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Bad Jim:
Well it's not as bad as making Adolf Hitler the real Man Of The Year in 1938. And giving it to Stalin twice.

Or worse, giving it to George W Bush.

The Person of the Year award is given to people who have distuinguished themselves the most that year. It's not just given to the nicest guy.

Anoni Mus:

Nazi's are not monsters either.

Please elaborate.

Baresark:
[

Haha, look at that. Therumancer to the fuckin' rescue. Nice information in there. Thanks for the reminder about Hitler. I did a report on Hitler high school and after some digging found out some of that information. I have my world history teacher to thank for that. I did a paper originally in the normal vein people think about Hitler (aka. WWII and what lead up to his taking power and forming the third reich). But it wasn't good enough for good old Mr. Smith (that was really his name, blows me away because he was anything but your standard run of the mill teacher). He made me dig. But it's easy to forget all the information that doesn't concern the monster, and only concerns the man. Gazzaniga wrote a short stint on perception and used Hitler as a fine example. People generate reactions of genuine surprise when you say statements like, "Hitler loved kitten". The image of Hitler everyone carries around doesn't fit that, so they show genuine surprise when someone says it to them. The image promoted about Hitler fits more into the, "Hitler love to eat kittens". No one can defend him for what he did, but to assume he was always some vile monster and had no tendencies that made him very human is just ridiculous. Of course, I never knew people considered him to be the "anti-christ". Makes sense though.

*An* Anti-Christ. According to the prophecies from people like Nostradamus there are supposed to be three of them. The nature of an Anti-Christ is such that they generally won't be recognized until after the fact. Going by the specifics of prophecy and the things they were supposed to do, it's commonly accepted by people who seriously follow this kind of thing that Napolean was the FIRST Anti-Christ, and Hitler was the second. Both were extremely charismatic and well loved leaders with global followings who came close to taking over the world and wiped out sizable parts of the world population.

The THIRD Anti-Christ has yet to come if you believe those two were accurate, but he's supposed to be due to rise to power "soonish". He's supposed to be "greater" than the other two combined. Basically some leader who will be globally loved by like 90% or more of the human race, who will do all these great things, and then apparently go totally batshit insane in a way his billions of followers won't even think about due to being enthralled by him, and wipe out billions and billions of people.

The idea is that towards the end of his reign we're supposed to get The Second Coming, and Jesus will return to confront the Anti-Christ, and in doing so will open the seven seals bringing about the tribulations and the end of the world.

They have done specials on and such, and understand that while a lot of people believe this, it's not "straight" Christianity since it goes into prophecies by guys like Nostradamus.

Just explaining it in more detail. I mostly brought it up because the whole "Man Of The Year" (or now "Person Of The Year") thing is a global popularity contest when you get down to it... assuming it works as intended. I thought of the whole anti-christ thing simply because one of the commonly agreed upon anti-christs was a winner. The point was also kind of that everyone knows Jim Jong Un is a monster, when Hitler won it was before that side of him came out on any kind of large scale. Before the world war, people forget how utterly popular he was, having won legitimatly, and that's kind of how he gets the whole anti-christ recognition along with some of his deeds retroactively fitting prophecies.

I think if there is ever a third Anti-Christ (well if anyone agrees on him, hard since to do that retroactively by the concept and what he was supposed to do) he'd have the "Person Of The Year" nomination, but it wouldn't be a joke by 4-chan. :)

Wait! How the hell is Jon Stewart ahead of Stephen Colbert?

Between this and yesterday's news....

Uh... December 21, 2012? I know I joked about you and all but... can you actually happen now?

ThunderCavalier:
Between this and yesterday's news....

Uh... December 21, 2012? I know I joked about you and all but... can you actually happen now?

I can guarantee you that December 21 will happen.

that site is the cancer of the internet...

I would have preferred if it was more obvious. Like KFCBUTTSEX

SnowBurst:

there are (and were) worse places.

Just one question- Why?

zehydra:

SnowBurst:

debatable, somethingaweful is right up there with the stupidest...

SnowBurst:

zehydra:

SnowBurst:

Somethingawful is where most of 4chan's original memes got started.
4chan has a tendency to claim responsibility where responsibility isn't due.

I think the best (and worst) is probably Encyclopedia Dramatica and I think 2chan? I think 2chan was shut down for basically being a pedophile haven. I probably have the number wrong.

zehydra:

SnowBurst:

zehydra:

Somethingawful is where most of 4chan's original memes got started.
4chan has a tendency to claim responsibility where responsibility isn't due.

I think the best (and worst) is probably Encyclopedia Dramatica and I think 2chan? I think 2chan was shut down for basically being a pedophile haven. I probably have the number wrong.

hence why we dnt need these sorts of sites

Rocklobster99:
I hope they don't throw this out.

I'm still mad that I can't drink "Hitler did nothing wrong" flavored Mountain Dew.

I wouldn't recommend it, it makes you gassy.

NiPah:
Please elaborate.

Nazis were and are people. Not monsters. It's something people like to forget because acknowledging it means pretty much everybody can be turned into someone like that, given the right background, upbringing and circumstances. People like to think "Oh, they were just monsters, and such a thing can never again".

...And then they vote for conservatives who share pretty much all viewpoints of the proto-nazis of the 1900-1920 era, from 'family values' to 'patriotism'.

Blablahb:

NiPah:
Please elaborate.

Nazis were and are people. Not monsters. It's something people like to forget because acknowledging it means pretty much everybody can be turned into someone like that, given the right background, upbringing and circumstances. People like to think "Oh, they were just monsters, and such a thing can never again".

...And then they vote for conservatives who share pretty much all viewpoints of the proto-nazis of the 1900-1920 era, from 'family values' to 'patriotism'.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/monster

a : an animal or plant of abnormal form or structure
b : one who deviates from normal or acceptable behavior or character
: a threatening force
a : an animal of strange or terrifying shape
b : one unusually large for its kind
: something monstrous; especially : a person of unnatural or extreme ugliness, deformity, wickedness, or cruelty
: one that is highly successful

Note by Nazi I am referring to the governing entity lead by Adolf Hitler that ruled over Germany 1933-1945 whose cruel and wicked actions fell far within the boundaries to meet the provided definition of monster. The actions I am referring to is (among others) the mass persecution and genocide of Jews, Gypsies, Russians, Communists, and those who went against the Nazi party. Further definitions of monster provided:
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/monster
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/monster
http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/monster
http://www.macmillandictionary.com/dictionary/british/monster
Given the definitions provided a wicked person/organization may fall under the definition of monster.

Viewpoints such as "family values" and "Patriotism" played a part in what lead to the Nazi to the actions which define them as monsters, but it is not these viewpoints alone but the given actions which they took which meet the definition of monster. If the Conservative party took part in a mass genocide due to anti-semitic (or anti-any) beliefs which lead to the death of roughly 6 million lives then I would call them monsters too.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here