Call Goes Out For Shooter Cease Fire

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

You know.. I don't care what the media says.

People already think of the following:

- Games are meant for kids.
    - Games cause people to be violent.
    - Games are the reason we're lacking a successful life.

It's nonsense of course, but a bit of people don't want video games to be getting more heat then it should. For me, the media can just lay back and judge us however they please, because I want to help in anyway I can. Truth be told I actually play a lot of Black Ops II, so on that day I will not fire one single bullet from an FPS and already joined their cause on Facebook. It's the least I can do .. so even if the media sees this as a guilt trip- it's actually me caring about something and doing something about it even if it's small.

Once donations come up, I will look into that too.
Besides, the media watches the news and all the news care about is making the killer into a celebrity.

Radoh:
Okay well that's an idea that I cannot get behind.
So to show support for the victims and their families we are going to stop playing shooters for a day?
Would that not look a subtle confirmation that video games are to blame for this?

No, it would look like an act of empathy. All it would say is "Hey, I realise you're grieving right now, so out of respect I'm going to spend today not shooting people online." It would be an act by the gaming community to at least try and show some sympathy for those currently suffering from violence, by actively refusing to take part in violence for just one day. Trying to say this would make gaming culpable is like trying to say having a minute's silence on November 11th makes you culpable for World War I.

Let's make a deal. You get people who play CoD to stop playing, and I'll hop on board instantly.

Then again, chances are, I'm not going to be shooting anyway, because currently, I'm in my Torchlight 2 journey.

samus17:
Yea nah, this is dumb. In fact, I might just go boot up one of the Postal games in retaliation for gamers feeling they owe anyone anything or have guilt for playing a video-game.

I'm in Manhunt, why we all get blamed for no fucking reason and then decide that we owe something to society is fucking beyond me. Name me any other minority that would put up with that.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
Trying to say this would make gaming culpable is like trying to say having a minute's silence on November 11th makes you culpable for World War I.

Erm...
That is kinda something different...

EDIT: let me write more, sorry:

Nobody actually thinks that one from today is to blame for WWI, but games and gamers are still blamed for many evils in this world as of now.

GoddyofAus:
Chyeah, good luck with this. Since when have the majority of gamers been compassionate enough to take up any cause except playing Half Life 2 to try and get Valves attention. As others have stated, this is perfect bait for fuckwits like Fox News to latch onto.

It has nothing to do with compassion. The reason not to do this is because it IS perfect bait for fuckwits like Fox News. They'll take this as gamers accepting that games are responsible for shootings.

Fuck that shit. We need to get a counter movement going to play even more shooter games than normal during that exact same time period to stand up and say "We are well adjusted human beings who play shooters and have not and will never shoot up a school, office, or any other real life place. Games are not at fault for this tragedy, the fucked up gunmen are." If I want to show compassion for the victims I can find plenty of better and more helpful ways to do it than giving the media an excuse to blame me and my hobby for the shooting.

I've just made a note on my calender to pop Killzone 3 in and play as much of it as I can on the 21st. And I urge everyone else to pop in whatever shooter you like and play it. CoD, Battlefield, Medal of Honor, Halo, whatever the fuck it is, who cares. As long as you can shoot things in it, play the SHIT out of it on the 21st and show that you will not take blame for the actions of two mentally disturbed people and are not willing to give up your hobby because of them. And then do something really nice for the victims like donating to a relevant charity.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
No, it would look like an act of empathy. All it would say is "Hey, I realise you're grieving right now, so out of respect I'm going to spend today not shooting people online." It would be an act by the gaming community to at least try and show some sympathy for those currently suffering from violence, by actively refusing to take part in violence for just one day. Trying to say this would make gaming culpable is like trying to say having a minute's silence on November 11th makes you culpable for World War I.

Except that is completely wrong. Not playing a video game is not an act of empathy. Here's an act of empathy: nobody go hunting. Nobody go to the gun range. Nobody do anything related to guns that's just for sport (obviously I would not be asking the police or army to go without guns for the day, that would be stupid). THAT would be an act of empathy that says "Hey, I realize your grieving right now, so out of respect I'm going to spend today not shooting real guns in the real world."

Actively refusing to take part in violence? News flash: there's nothing violent about pushing buttons on a controller. There's nothing violent about playing video games. How about you get everyone to agree to not be violent? As in, REAL violence? Or at least extend this stupidity of not taking part of violence by not doing things that aren't violent in the first place by also refusing to watch movies and TV shows, read books, or listen to music that also have violent acts depicted. After all, there's absolutely nothing violent about sitting on the couch watching Die Hard, but maybe people should not do that too because reasons.

Not playing games implies there's a reason to not play games, and that reason would only be because games are somehow responsible for this. They aren't, so play on. As for the terrible moment of silence comparison... No. Just no. Where did you come up with that crap? Although a moment of silence would be a much better idea for an act of empathy than not doing something that had absolutely nothing to do with this tragedy. Hey, I bet the gunmen wore clothes, right? Maybe out of respect we can all be naked on the 21st as well.

Or maybe... Just maybe... We could do something intelligent and logical instead of something stupid and irrational like not playing video games and giving the media a nice opportunity to blame our hobby for the actions of two fucktards.

Rblade:
very funny, actually a very good example. Just because it's not our fault doesn't mean we can't in anyway give ground. Common it's possible to say you regret something happened without admitting guilt.

The point is to give ground in a way that makes sense. To say we regret something happened in a way that makes sense. Nobody stops playing soccer if someone dies from being kicked not because they don't regret that it happened. They don't stop playing soccer because it would be STUPID.

As many others have pointed out, there are far better alternatives. Raise money. Stop the use of real life guns for a day instead of fake digital ones. Have a moment of silence.

F off, pixels are completely unrelated to this massacre, the effort would be better placed on raising awareness for parents with schizophrenic children.

TotalBiscuit sums up my thoughts pretty well:

I appreciate that they want to honor the dead, but videogames and school shootings are completely unrelated.

felbot:
I don't even play shooters so, yay I am doing charity without actually doing anything, or something like charity.

I am going to be honest I am not sure how this helps anybody.

For the same reason the Anti-SOPA Blackout didn't really help anything. Or Occupy Wall Street didn't help anything.
It's a symbolic thing. Giving up something you like for a short time in mourning/respect.

You ever wonder why we're expected to stop moving and bow our heads at 11AM on November 11th? That's why.

Pearman says that this stand is not intended to raise money, nor is it meant as some kind of game-blame. "We are simply making a statement that we as Gamers are not going to sit back and ignore the lives that were lost," says Pearman. "Instead we will embrace the families with our love and support." Full details, including means of participation, can be found on this Facebook page. Over 1,400 gamers have already confirmed that they will cease fire for the day.

So in the end, it is meaningless. Millions of people who are gamers have responded to the tragedy even though it did not affect them personally. That's more than enough, any more is just vanity.

If you want to stop spree killings for good, hug a future spree killer and give them a luxury holiday just as you do for those young terminal cancer patients who get VIP trips to Disneyland for free.

I play games to let off steam from a bad day of work, like so many other people do. It is sad that some crazy nutjob with a gun killed so many children, but forcing myself to suffer the intense stress of the day without a means of escaping it on harmless pixels is not going to help anyone. If anything, it's going to make me feel terrible. I may takeout the stress on friends or loved ones. No one wants that.

Now if I read the whole story right, this had more to do with the guy getting a royal screw-job on his brain from prescriptive mood pills and - in his crazy chemically-deranged state - he committed a terrible act by slaughtering his mother, and the children at the school she worked for. So how about, instead of calling off shooting games for a day, we tell everyone on the planet to call of prescriptive mind-fuckery pills for the day? No? You're saying that's a horrible thing to do? Then why expect gamers of the world to drop their controllers on a guilt trip?

edit - edited first sentence of second paragraph to get my point across better.

WanderingFool:
Now COD, No Halo, No Borderlands, No Blacklight: Retribution...

*has minecraft on XBox*

Im in.

Same here. I was going to be going between Halo 4 and Minecraft, but the new update just came out today so I have plenty of reason not to play any shooters for the next few days/weeks.

GoddyofAus:
Since when have the majority of gamers been compassionate enough to take up any cause except playing Half Life 2 to try and get Valves attention.

That might have worked if they had gone the opposite route and refused to play or buy any Valve games for a week or two. Get enough people to do that, especially during a large sale or other event, and Valve will take notice.(good luck getting anyone to actually do that though)

Fijiman:

WanderingFool:

*has minecraft on XBox*

Im in.

Same here. I was going to be going between Halo 4 and Minecraft, but the new update just came out today so I have plenty of reason not to play any shooters for the next few days/weeks.

Oh! the new update is out? Awesome...

WanderingFool:

Fijiman:

WanderingFool:

*has minecraft on XBox*

Im in.

Oh! the new update is out? Awesome...

Yes, we now have potions, enchanting, breeding, and a few other things.

eh? We're showing support for the families by not playing video games?

This doesn't show support at all...

mjc0961:
snip

I totally agree, except I don't think not firing a gun at the range or not hunting is a way of showing empathy either.

SageRuffin:
Besides, I was always more of a melee person anyway.

well they've been blaming Dynasty Warriors as well

so yeah =P

Well, seeing as I'm on winter break now, I don't have anything else to do. Might as well join it, so it looks like I'm playing the xbox version of minecraft all day tomorrow!

teh_Canape:

SageRuffin:

so yeah =P

Well... fuck.

GonzoGamer:
I can't play CoD with just knives. I get my ass kicked already.

I can appreciate the sentiment but wouldn't it be a lot better to get people to stop shooting REAL guns for a day? If they can get that to happen, I'll stop shooting digital guns for a day.

I still find it interesting that people insist that this is EITHER a gun control issue OR a mental health issue when it's obviously both.

How long would it have taken a mentally ill person to shoot 27 people back when the 2nd amendment was written?

a very experienced soldier could load and fire 4 times a minute

SageRuffin:

teh_Canape:

SageRuffin:

so yeah =P

Well... fuck.

see? these media guys truly cover all scenarios, don't they

teh_Canape:

SageRuffin:

teh_Canape:

so yeah =P

Well... fuck.

see? these media guys truly cover all scenarios, don't they

Granted, I don't play DW but I know the implications behind it.

Ah well. There's always Magic. :D

Sorry, but this is just a more elaborate version of
"lke dis if u cry evry tiem"

It also can be read that FPS gaming is responsiable for this type of thing.

wombat_of_war:

GonzoGamer:
I can't play CoD with just knives. I get my ass kicked already.

I can appreciate the sentiment but wouldn't it be a lot better to get people to stop shooting REAL guns for a day? If they can get that to happen, I'll stop shooting digital guns for a day.

I still find it interesting that people insist that this is EITHER a gun control issue OR a mental health issue when it's obviously both.

How long would it have taken a mentally ill person to shoot 27 people back when the 2nd amendment was written?

a very experienced soldier could load and fire 4 times a minute

So that's 5 shots per minute for the first minute, which assumes he is even accurate considering he's using a smoothebore musket and is able to load while running after his now fleeing targets.

The issue is, as always, how easy it is for a mentally unstable person to have access to guns. Considering how so many people have them it's quite simple for him to "borrow" one.

A lunatic in New Zealand is lucky if he can steal a golf club, let alone semi-automatic rifles.

Orange12345:
Yeah I don't like the sound of this, by not playing a FPS intentionally it would almost make me feel like I was accepting that FPS had anything to do with this. It's a nice sentiment but count me out for the moment

Exactly.

I'm probably one of the few people on this site who takes a level headed 'hrm thats interesting' standpoint when studies come out suggesting or questioning the affect of violent media on people. As opposed to most people who just start foaming at the mouth.

However this really does seem ridiculous. As many people have pointed out this is essentially accepting theres a link where there is none proven.

I would suggest gun clubs everywhere shut down for a day and no one in america fires a gun for 24 hours... Just a craaaaazy thought.

EDIT: In response to those who have said "That won't help" regarding suggestions similar to mine... Two minutes silence on VE day doesn't 'Help' the dead soldiers from WW1 and 2. It shows respect.

If America as a country is incapable of putting down their hard on extensions for 24 hours in the wake of a tragedy like this then frankly I don't think that communist invasion y'all been so paranoid about can come fast enough.

DataSnake:

Nieroshai:
Given the amount of preparation he went through, it isn't unreasonable to say he could've taken the time to whip up homemade explosives and stuffed them in the car. Guns are by no means the most deadly, devastating, or easy-to-obtain weapons out there. The first WTC bombing cost the bomber less than the price of a Glock. A man in China committed a similar slaughter to Newtown, but he did it with a knife. Just as many casualties, with an even more hardcore police force simply not arriving on time. Should we ban knives? Knives were invented by our ancestors to hunt and to wage war, and then they tied them to sticks and called them spears. Surely we live in a society where knives are obsolete? I see cooking shows where scissors are used instead to cut meat, and Cuisinarts are used to dice vegetables. Of course not, but you see where this is going.

Interesting fact: Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold's original plan for the Columbine massacre was to set off homemade bombs in the school cafeteria during lunch and just use their guns to mop up the survivors. That's not how it ended up going, because they sucked at making bombs. Had they just been able to buy some C4 at their local Wal-Mart's sporting goods department, that massacre would have been far, far deadlier. Since they had to make their own, and they sucked at it, the death toll stayed in the teens instead of breaking triple digits. Also, WHAT THE FUCK DOES A CIVILIAN NEED AN ASSAULT RIFLE FOR? It's total overkill for hunting, a shotgun is more than adequate for home defense, and it's not the kind of thing you can carry everywhere just in case you get mugged.

Define "assault rifle." I have a feeling you're thinking of something that isn't really available to the average un-certified civilian. You probably also have a different definition of "automatic" than I do.

Friends and family of the deceased are not going to care if people stop playing video games for some length of time to "support" them. If you want to "support" them then do something meaningful and make an actual sacrifice, like donating money for funerals. Funerals are expensive and stressful. A lot of families will be stretched thin.

I'll put Battlefield aside for the night, I guess I'll play Skyrim :)

Yeah, let's connect violent shooter games with violent shootings. I can't see any way that this will go wrong.

It's a nice idea, if you're into pointless gestures which do nothing to help anyone or solve the problem, but you might as well shave your head or castrate yourself to show your consideration.

Nieroshai:
Define "assault rifle." I have a feeling you're thinking of something that isn't really available to the average un-certified civilian. You probably also have a different definition of "automatic" than I do.

I don't recall saying anything about automatic weapons, but I'm pretty sure the term means weapons capable of firing multiple rounds off a single pull of the trigger, such as an AK47, an MP5 or an M4. I'd define an assault rifle as a semi-automatic, full-auto or select-fire (as opposed to bolt, lever or pump action) rifle or carbine (though for the purposes of this discussion I'd also include SMGs and machine pistols), generally with a high-capacity clip and/or a pistol grip.

Fuck them I'm getting a 25 kill streak that day.

Seems like alot of people will be getting their K/D ratio up. This is funny, not going to happen, not with out the companies actually kicking people off, and if you're on XBOX, and have gold, that's a day waste. Could have just given money.

mjc0961:

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

Except that is completely wrong. Not playing a video game is not an act of empathy. Here's an act of empathy: nobody go hunting. Nobody go to the gun range. Nobody do anything related to guns that's just for sport (obviously I would not be asking the police or army to go without guns for the day, that would be stupid). THAT would be an act of empathy that says "Hey, I realize your grieving right now, so out of respect I'm going to spend today not shooting real guns in the real world."

Actively refusing to take part in violence? News flash: there's nothing violent about pushing buttons on a controller. There's nothing violent about playing video games. How about you get everyone to agree to not be violent? As in, REAL violence? Or at least extend this stupidity of not taking part of violence by not doing things that aren't violent in the first place by also refusing to watch movies and TV shows, read books, or listen to music that also have violent acts depicted. After all, there's absolutely nothing violent about sitting on the couch watching Die Hard, but maybe people should not do that too because reasons.

News flash back at you: Online shooters are embodiments of digital violence.

You have been completely disingenuous in your representation of the medium. Gaming is not simply the act of pressing buttons. It would be a pretty fucking boring hobby if it was. Gaming is also about the interpretation of those button presses into visuals. And guess what the likes of COD and Gears show visually? People shooting each other. People lining up their sights and headshotting each other. People stamping other people's faces into the kerb. People chainsawing each other in two.

There is nothing inherently violent in the way gamers interact with games. But to say that playing games like Gears or COD isn't violent? Are you serious? What would you call sticking someone with a tomahawk and blowing someone else up with a grenade if not violent? And yes, even as a visual representation, it still counts as violence. For the same reason that Die Hard is classed as a violent film, despite the fact that the violence in the film is 100% simulated and unreal.

And in choosing to reject violence for one day, we can actually send a pretty positive message about ourselves.

Not playing games implies there's a reason to not play games, and that reason would only be because games are somehow responsible for this. They aren't, so play on.

This is terrible fucking logic.

How the media responds to tragedy doesn't start and end with cause-and-effect.

Ke$ha released a song not too long ago called Die Young. Since the shooting, radio stations have elected not to play it. Going by your logic, this means that radio stations are stating there's a link between the song and the massacre. This is complete and utter bollocks, and should be clearly so to anyone with half a brain.

There is such a think in society as tact. If a terrible act of violence is committed, one large enough to attract the attention of an entire nation, then it is common fucking courtesy for media outlets to stop blaring out songs which have "WE DIE YOUNG!" as their main chorus, out of respect for the family members who've lost loved ones.

This is no different. At all. If you're going to carry on implying that any form of tact, or any act of respect is some kind of tacit admission of guilt, then this discussion is done, as it shows you have nothing to contribute.

As for the terrible moment of silence comparison... No. Just no. Where did you come up with that crap? Although a moment of silence would be a much better idea for an act of empathy than not doing something that had absolutely nothing to do with this tragedy. Hey, I bet the gunmen wore clothes, right? Maybe out of respect we can all be naked on the 21st as well.

The shooting was an act of violence.

Engaging in online shooter multiplayer is an act of violence, albeit a digital one.

Deciding that it might be an idea to spend one day rejecting violence, in the wake of the tragedy that has happened, is a complete act of empathy and respect, no matter how much you may choose to sneer at it. You can play COD online any time you like, but this one day is a chance to send a positive message. If you want to piss that away to spend more time headshotting noobs, then perhaps you need to think about the message you're sending...

Or maybe... Just maybe... We could do something intelligent and logical instead of something stupid and irrational like not playing video games and giving the media a nice opportunity to blame our hobby for the actions of two fucktards.

Sometimes it falls to people to act decently, regardless of how the media will try and spin it. If you want to spend your life trying to appease FOX News, then I wish you the best on such a hopeless endeavour, and I look forward to your condemnation of homosexuality, Islam, abortion and the Democrat party.

If, however, you want to do something productive, then it might be worth sticking two fingers at FOX, and actually engaging in a one-day movement that says nothing but good things about gamers: that we can reject violence, that we can endorse peace, that we can sympathise with our fellow human beings, act in solidarity with them, and that we are not so addicted to our violent games that we can't choose to go without them.

How does that reinforce FOX's depiction of us as anti-social, hateful, violence junkies always in need of our next fix? Seriously? Where is the connection at all?

I'll just be here playing Metal Slug, GHOST Squad and Time Crisis. (Take that, constant FPS references!)

Frankly, if they weren't trying to go out and ban firearm ownership in America because of the shooting, I'd be all in for this. However, simply because I fucking hate Californian government as well as most of our current government, I'll be spending Friday shooting trap at my local range, then I'll probably come back and play some Killing Floor or something.

To be perfectly honest, in this situation I really do have to blame the shooter's mother. She knew her son wasn't mentally sound and she tried to introduce guns as a way to calm him down. He knew how to use them as well as where they were stored. I'm not trying to speak ill of the dead, but you just don't do that.

For those people saying that people don't necessarily recognize mental instability, it's pretty easy to see signs that people are going to snap.
This whole thing kind of reminded me of this article, and I feel that not enough people have actually read it.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here