Town Holds Violent Videogame Buyback Program

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Counries with school shootings: USA
Countries with violent video games: ALL
Countries with with lax gun laws: USA

Yes,it is obviously the video games' fault.

*sigh* dumb-asses make wanna cry :(

Taronus:

Can't argue with that.
Also, about gun buyback:
They offer, what, 50 dollars for weapons, that clearly cost a lot more? Those guys will sell them and make profit, and if not, they are complete morons.

Wow, some of you should see a orthopedic surgeon the way your knees are jerking over this.

Aside from the dubious claims about violence in the news story, this event doesn't hurt anyone. If they want to waste their money so they can feel like they've done something, then what skin is it off of your nose? I mean, since you're all so happy to let scientists study the effects of gaming violence on people, we've got easy evidence to show their claims are wrong- oh wait....

if they gave good money i would tottaly bring all my old violent games i dont play anymore lol

Seeing as they say TV programmes and films are just as bad, why are they only buying back games? Why not a full violent media buy back?

Fuck it, you can have 'em if you really want. I'll just go play Gex and Tomba....fuckers.

OH YEAH, LETS BAN ORANGE HAIR DYE TOO.

JudgeGame:
God forbid they actually bought back guns. Because guns are protected by the Constitution while videogames are clearly incredibly dangerous tools of murder that endanger everyone involved.

They do, there are a number of gun buyback programs, particularly ones that cropped up recently. I bet this buyback is modeled on gun buybacks.

Buyback programs like these never work. They are always predicated on the idea that pure numbers of something causes the ill effect. Even if you are going to assume that gun control would decrease crime (I am NOT going down that road here), actual gun buybacks end up just appealing to people who want to get some cash for a gun they have no intention of useing. If a person owns the item to be bought back, they attach a value to it. If they abhor it, they won't use it, or they will get rid of it. If they own the thing to begin with, they will only exchange it if it has a negligable use. If they were being bought back for enough to entice people to sell off the items they may actually use, then the program would be so prone to abuse that it would be ludicrous.

And this program here? Its so broken as to be crazy. Basically, your creating a huge value for any game that is not valuable in the secondary market. Id love to bring a stack of used PS1 games, PC games that I already redeemed on Steam, clunkers from the 99 cent bin etc, and turn a bunch of non-violent old games into money with which I can go and buy a new, violent game. Ideally to redeem on Steam, and then trade back to the program. I mean, these people won't have a robust knowledge of the secondary market here, how many shovelware games, cereal/fast food freebies, demo disks, redeemed games and the like will find its way into the pile? Even a upstanding anti-hacker might consider buying a game, and getting a no cd crack so they can eek out some cash from the disc. Heck, they might even buy another game from that same developer so they can say that piracy absolutely brought them more business. There are far to many examples where this buyback is functionally the equivalent of trying to stop obesity by offering to buyback candy bar wrappers.But hey, if they are that ignorant about video games in the first place, I saw awesome. Go rob them of a few bucks, and ideally, mock them with it afterwards.

I don't have anything to really add to this topic other than reading this just lead to me banging my head against my desk.

I have a Playstation Demo disc lying around somewhere

This ample evidence being...?

Besides which, I don't know about you, but I'm either playing a videogame or have traded it in for another one. I don't just have games sitting around when they could be traded in. At best this is an opportunity for people who need to clean out their drawers, and even then they'll have to offer a better deal than retail outlets or eBay. I must say though, I do love how a shooting spree has lead to a buyback scheme for VIDEOGAMES.

Xanadu84:

JudgeGame:
God forbid they actually bought back guns. Because guns are protected by the Constitution while videogames are clearly incredibly dangerous tools of murder that endanger everyone involved.

They do, there are a number of gun buyback programs, particularly ones that cropped up recently. I bet this buyback is modeled on gun buybacks.

Buyback programs like these never work. They are always predicated on the idea that pure numbers of something causes the ill effect. Even if you are going to assume that gun control would decrease crime (I am NOT going down that road here), actual gun buybacks end up just appealing to people who want to get some cash for a gun they have no intention of useing. If a person owns the item to be bought back, they attach a value to it. If they abhor it, they won't use it, or they will get rid of it. If they own the thing to begin with, they will only exchange it if it has a negligable use. If they were being bought back for enough to entice people to sell off the items they may actually use, then the program would be so prone to abuse that it would be ludicrous.

And this program here? Its so broken as to be crazy. Basically, your creating a huge value for any game that is not valuable in the secondary market. Id love to bring a stack of used PS1 games, PC games that I already redeemed on Steam, clunkers from the 99 cent bin etc, and turn a bunch of non-violent old games into money with which I can go and buy a new, violent game. Ideally to redeem on Steam, and then trade back to the program. I mean, these people won't have a robust knowledge of the secondary market here, how many shovelware games, cereal/fast food freebies, demo disks, redeemed games and the like will find its way into the pile? Even a upstanding anti-hacker might consider buying a game, and getting a no cd crack so they can eek out some cash from the disc. Heck, they might even buy another game from that same developer so they can say that piracy absolutely brought them more business. There are far to many examples where this buyback is functionally the equivalent of trying to stop obesity by offering to buyback candy bar wrappers.But hey, if they are that ignorant about video games in the first place, I saw awesome. Go rob them of a few bucks, and ideally, mock them with it afterwards.

I know they exist. I'm also skeptical about their effectiveness in general. I'm just bewildered by the ridiculous logic path somebody followed to conxlude a violent videogame buyback program would fix anything.

Bullying and crime has gone down over the last 10 years hasn't it?

These people are off the hook because they have mental health problems, not because they play violent games. My brother had a fairly recent mental breakdown and became violent and forgetful, but before that and now he is on medication he was/is fine.

JudgeGame:

Aren't games protected by it now as well via the First Amendment? Non-US person here, but that's the last I heard on the subject.

OT: Yeah, I haven't met many bullies when I was a kid who played a lot of games. Most kids I knew who played games were the ones BEING bullied. Violent kids are most often violent because of their upbringing and environment.

You wanna connect it to something? Try sports. Every bully I know played some sport or another and they were usually violent during the sport (whether shoving, tripping or just getting pissed off when they lost). And no, I'm not saying sports produce bullies, but it's still a far more legitimate claim by the reasoning of these idiots, showing what a complete load of bollocks these studies are.

Yes, video game violence desentisizes you to violence. Video game violence. What desentisizes you from real life violence is real life violence (in kids, it's usually bullies in the household, who then pass it on by monkey see monkey do to kids who weren't taught basic social behaviour). It's not really a difficult pattern to follow.

fuck this...seriously

its not just one thing..true..but you can't fucking tell me this does ANYTHING in anyway shape or form, you can't tell me that baning shit is the answer,

nexus:

LordNerevar:

Nice string of faceless new users there.

"Dumb-asses make wanna cry" ? Mkay. Go back to your hole.

wake up on the wrong side of the bed did we?

Katatori-kun:
Wow, some of you should see a orthopedic surgeon the way your knees are jerking over this.

Aside from the dubious claims about violence in the news story, this event doesn't hurt anyone. If they want to waste their money so they can feel like they've done something, then what skin is it off of your nose? I mean, since you're all so happy to let scientists study the effects of gaming violence on people, we've got easy evidence to show their claims are wrong- oh wait....

because its pure stupiditiy is why, its not jsut games, its the crusade against artistic expression, you can't prevent psycho nutters by banning whats already made and you certainly can't prevent them by getting sane people to hand over their games

I bet thease self rightous wankers would force us all to give up violent games if they could..I know they can't, but its the pure disrespect for art that actually distrubes me, especially when there are other things *cough*mentalhealth*cough* that need looking into

yes, while your are at it, why not burn some books you consider "inappropriate" like old times?

that solved everything...

Tom Goldman:
I have a Playstation Demo disc lying around somewhere

OMG! look out! he has got a playstation demo disc

nexus:

LordNerevar:

All those avatar-less people except 1 have been around longer than you. One of them has been around since 2007, and lots of users without avatars are well known.

You seem especially angry at them for no good reason.

...gonna reserve my commentary for right now. I'd LOVE to see a follow-up on this story on the 13th...

As far as this sort of shit goes, this instance is a lot more tactful than most, in that they actually hold video games in equal regard as other media.

nexus:

LordNerevar:

Living Contradiction - Joined: 8 Nov 2009
jetriot - Joined: 9 Sep 2011
Animyr - Joined: 11 Jan 2011
rcs619 - Joined: 26 Mar 2011
ASnogarD - Joined: 2 Jul 2009
Reaper195 - Joined: 5 Jul 2009
DiamanteGeeza - Joined: 25 Jun 2010
JudgeGame - Joined: 2 Jan 2013
Taronus - Joined: 31 Dec 2011
LordNerevar - Joined: 24 Feb 2012
joeman098 - Joined: 18 Jun 2007

The one in bold is the only one of these "faceless new users" that signed up after you. I would recommend checking stuff like that before posting.

OT: That's rather convenient of them in all honesty, if they are saying that violent video games aren't to be blamed for this specific incident, but that they are for violence and killings in general. In short, I don't buy it. And if all types of media are to blame, why is it only video games that are being chosen? Surely if you'd want to stop it, you'd offer to take all types.

VMK:

Taronus:

Can't argue with that.
Also, about gun buyback:
They offer, what, 50 dollars for weapons, that clearly cost a lot more? Those guys will sell them and make profit, and if not, they are complete morons.

$50 (or credit) is usually the least amount given. Recent gun buyback programs in my area offered up to $250 for each gun.

A lot of the guns turned in are junk guns such as Hi-Points, Lorcins, Cobras, Ravens, Brycos some of which don't even have the retail value of $50. A lot of gun shops I've frequented include those guns for free after purchases or as a perk for servicemen, law enforcement, Front Sight, and NRA members, (and because it's inventory that they need to clear.)

Most of these gun buyback programs are no questions asked, no IDs required or recorded, and no arrests made for any illegal nature behind the guns. So $50-$250 is a good deal for an enterprising collector/retailer who is trying to get rid of crap they don't want. $50-$250 is also a good deal for an enterprising criminal with stolen guns or guns they don't want to be caught with.

Is there a way I can buy back the games from the buy backers and resell them? I feel the beginning of a good money making scheme in the works.

Captcha is "Sir Squirrel" With a squirrel holing a sword and shield... it is awesome.

Cool, maybe I can sell them some useless crap I dont want anymore and then buy the newest Call of Duty, God of War or Mortal Kombat, yay!

BodomBeachChild:
Is there a way I can buy back the games from the buy backers and resell them? I feel the beginning of a good money making scheme in the works.

Captcha is "Sir Squirrel" With a squirrel holing a sword and shield... it is awesome.

You're better off rifling through your collection for old shitty games that aren't worth any thing anymore to pawn off to this anti-video game group. Gamestop doesn't take trade ins for anything before the Xbox era, so there's a start for you.

General Twinkletoes:

nexus:

LordNerevar:

All those avatar-less people except 1 have been around longer than you. One of them has been around since 2007, and lots of users without avatars are well known.

Really, I love that you think I'm angry. I was talking specifically of the 3 posts in-a-row before mine with no avatars and 15 posts or less, all talking about how guns suck. Oh yea, that's not suspicious at all.. Ever hear of socks?

Love how the topic isn't about guns either.

But hey, it's cool. Let's let the faceless socks derail threads for yet another gun control debate. . .

Vault101:

Katatori-kun:

because its pure stupiditiy is why,

People all over the world do things that are pure stupidity all the time and no one on this forum makes a peep about it.

its not jsut games, its the crusade against artistic expression,

Isn't everyone above me pretty much blasting them for not buying violent movies or books? Kinda hard to accuse them of having a crusade against artistic expression when they're perfectly comfortable with huge swaths of it.

you can't prevent psycho nutters by banning whats already made and you certainly can't prevent them by getting sane people to hand over their games

As for the banning, sure you can. It's a little thing called the constitution. This group has zero power to ban anything, hasn't attempted to ban anything, and hasn't talked about banning anything.

As for preventing people from handing over their games, why would you? It's their game. If they want to hand it over, what business is it of yours?

I bet thease self rightous wankers would force us all to give up violent games if they could.

You bet that, do you? Based on what? What evidence do you have that these particular "self rightous [sic] wankers" would force us all to give up violent video games?

Let's face it: This entire story boils down to one thing- some people in Connecticut have marked themselves as not being a part of the gamer tribe, and so gamers on this site are throwing a tantrum.

nexus:

General Twinkletoes:

nexus:

Really, I love that you think I'm angry. I was talking specifically of the 3 posts in-a-row before mine with no avatars and 15 posts or less, all talking about how guns suck. Oh yea, that's not suspicious at all.. Ever hear of socks?

Love how the topic isn't about guns either.

But hey, it's cool. Let's let the faceless socks derail threads for yet another gun control debate. . .

Seriously, you think that someone would bother making 3 different accounts, all about a year old and with posts on each, just so they could derail a thread? That's some pretty ridiculous logic, to be honest. 3 users in a row with few posts and no avatars is not suspicious at all, people can derail threads well enough with just 1 account. You've derailed this thread far better than they did with your ridiculous conspiracy theories. Accusing people of being socks because they don't post much is dumb.

And by angry I didn't really mean upset or furious at them, just that you were being an jerk towards them for no good reason at all.

FelixG:

"There is ample evidence that violent video games, along with violent media of all kinds, including TV and movies portraying story after story showing a continuous stream of violence and killing, has contributed to increasing aggressiveness, fear, anxiety,"

So, why arent you buying back peoples violent movies, books, music, and comics you retarded douchebags?

Not the current boogieman. You have to remember that both comics and music got their days in the sun, society just moved on to another false scapegoat.

For a long time there was actually industry self-regulation in comics due to accusations that lurid comics like "Tales From The Crypt" and various vigilante titles were causing all the same kinds of things that video games are accused of. It was a big deal for a while when "indie" comics started bucking the trend of censorship, and when mainstream titles began doing the whole "screw the CCA" thing, which too far too long.

Music is the same, all the sex/romance, and violence/crime leading kids into those things allegedly. To be honest some music probably is a problem, not in of itself, but due to the subcultures it's built around and recruiting for, but that's an entirely differant discussion, and goes into areas that most pea-brained protestors don't even consider in their arguements.

At the end of the day the bottom line is that it's easier to blame something in pop culture, than it is to deal with more complicated societal issues, which ultimatly degenerate down to questions of civil liberties and singling out the people and groups responsible, and whether anyone wants to open that can of worms. Cutting down on school shootings, teen violence, etc... would be realtively easy to do, the problem is that the removal of civil liberties it would take to identify and act on these people would in theory lead to innocent people being persecuted. When you weigh the issue and the cost of solving it, it becomes easier to find a scapegoat than actually addressing the issue. Nobody wants to simply say "this is the price for other freedoms we value, and we simply have to accept it" because that seems inhuman when you so coldly calculate it.

The Youth Counselor:

VMK:

Taronus:

Can't argue with that.
Also, about gun buyback:

$50 (or credit) is usually the least amount given. Recent gun buyback programs in my area offered up to $250 for each gun.

A lot of the guns turned in are junk guns such as Hi-Points, Lorcins, Cobras, Ravens, Brycos some of which don't even have the retail value of $50. A lot of gun shops I've frequented include those guns for free after purchases or as a perk for servicemen, law enforcement, Front Sight, and NRA members, (and because it's inventory that they need to clear.)

There are gun stores that give complementary guns with the purchase of guns and/or gun accessories?

I'm not for or against it, it just seems so strange to me.

Xiado:
So... they can't blame this killing on games, so they're going to blame violence in general on games ... feel self righteous.

I don't think they're trying to feel self righteous, you're right about them wanting to relieve some pain but that's natural and no one should have the right to stop them from trying to do so. It looks more so like a shaken community desperately clinging onto an idea that has formed linked towards the latest 'new' thing that can influence a persons actions, personality, outlook etc (not all the time though, but there is always the chance as with everything). While it's wrong for them to only target video games after stating other media can have an effect on people it is clear that they mean well, they just aren't quite clued into the idea that several other factors cause desensitisation towards violence, empathy etc etc.

It's more a case of heart in the right place, but lack of fully informed decision making.

Katatori-kun:

Vault101:

Katatori-kun:

because its pure stupiditiy is why,

People all over the world do things that are pure stupidity all the time and no one on this forum makes a peep about it.

its not jsut games, its the crusade against artistic expression,

Isn't everyone above me pretty much blasting them for not buying violent movies or books? Kinda hard to accuse them of having a crusade against artistic expression when they're perfectly comfortable with huge swaths of it.

you can't prevent psycho nutters by banning whats already made and you certainly can't prevent them by getting sane people to hand over their games

As for the banning, sure you can. It's a little thing called the constitution. This group has zero power to ban anything, hasn't attempted to ban anything, and hasn't talked about banning anything.

As for preventing people from handing over their games, why would you? It's their game. If they want to hand it over, what business is it of yours?

I bet thease self rightous wankers would force us all to give up violent games if they could.

You bet that, do you? Based on what? What evidence do you have that these particular "self rightous [sic] wankers" would force us all to give up violent video games?

Let's face it: This entire story boils down to one thing- some people in Connecticut have marked themselves as not being a part of the gamer tribe, and so gamers on this site are throwing a tantrum.

Actually, I think your missing the point in wanting to engage in your crusade of technicalities for the sake of having an arguement.

We've seen things like this happen before and snowball out of control. We had the crusades against PnP RPGs, against music, and the entire comics industry shackeled with self regulation. If you let a group of people like this go unchecke they will grow, and gain more of a following to either create PACS which can push for changes to the laws, or simply engage in private regulation and censorship, by acting en-masse to force changes entirely by using civil methods. You start with "buy backs" and "burnings", then next thing your doing is blockading stores, then your blockading trucks carrying the merchandise, chasing people down in their homes who make the stuff, etc... and before too long even if it's a relatively small group of people overall, everyone in the target industry is forced to do whatever it is that they want due to little in the way of adequete protections, since the police aren't going to step in to stop people's right to assemble or whatever for the sake of your product or business.

The best way you counter this kind of insanity, is with more insanity, you basically have the more radical fringes in the gaming community, counter those with anti-gaming sentiments, preventing them from ever getting the kind of support. You make it just as inconveinent for them to protest as they would for a company to operate with them protesting. If you pretty much just sit back and ignore them, sometimes it fizzles out, in other cases it snowballs.

We have yet to get to the point where someone has produced a new version of "Mazes and Monsters" aimed at video gaming, or things like "What Happened To Rosemary's Baby" where the evil child draws power from hard rock music, but let it go unchecked and it can get to that point. It took so long for gamers to rally against an even smaller minority of people that by the time they did it was an insane uphill battle.

While nobody is proposing violence yet, I'll also go so far as to say that in cases like this I'm not 100% opposed to the idea. While not legal, it's sort of a principle that your freedom of speech and such are wroth fighting to protect, which is why everyone is supposed to be armed. A lot of people might not like this idea, but I believe that Heinlan's old statement "An Armed Society Is a Polite Society" kind of summarizes it. One thing that hurts society is that relatively small groups of people feel safe to act against larger ones in matters like this without any real fear of repercussions, it makes taking a knee-jerk scapegoat reaction and turning into a nation-wide position relatively easy. If everyone on both sides is armed, it at least makes people stop and evaluate their beliefs and their relative value a lot more before they decide to head out and start movements like this... and really while harmless in of itself, this is how movements get started. Today's Gun or Game buy back today, is tomorrow's MADD (Mothers Against Dungeons and Dragons, a shared Acronym), you wouldn't have thought a sewing circle could have turned some irritation over Jr. wanting to play with books and dice into a national platform that actually survived on the fringes for years either, but it did happen.

Don't get me wrong, I understand where your coming from, I just think your a little too dismissive. The guy your responding to might not be as right in the specifics of what's happening right now, but the point is valid simply in regards to what this could turn into. In the end it really doesn't matter if the goverment bands violent games, if you let groups like this rally to the point where stores become afraid to carry them, schools do more to ban discussing them, and workplaces won't let you talk about them around the water cooler without becoming a pariah, due to efforts
by this group. Let a few thousand people get organized, establish a newsletter, and then all write in en-masse on a subject and you'll be surprised what happens, and it gets worse if the same group can get a dozen or two people show up in a parking lot once in a while with signs to say bad things to passers by about a business as well. You don't really need the goverment to ban something to get a very similar effect, since really, today people effectively have the right to mass-harass any target they can agree on without fear of repercussions. (and to put things into perspective on an earlier statement, so it's not misunderstood, when everyone is armed people are less likely to mouth off to each other for the hell of it, as nobody will want to provoke anyone else. "An armed society is a polite society", but that goes into a seperate issue).

Typical small town stupidity. Not really big enough to warrant getting too mad over.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here