Sony Patents a Way to Sabotage Used Game Market

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

I'm so not buying a ps4 if they include this .

The way Sony has been going, I'm surprised they don't already have something like this patented.
I don't care if they implement it or not (either way, I think it's a waste), I just miss the days when they spent their R&D on trying to make their games & consoles better rather than just trying to squeeze a few more pennies out of a consumer base that obviously can't/wont spend a lot.

I have two words for people who think that Sony would NEVER use this *technology.*

ROOTKIT SCANDAL
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_BMG_copy_protection_rootkit_scandal

Zipa:

The difference is Steam actually has a upside to it, things like cheaper games, free voice and text chat (doesn't work cross game without PSN +) ect. Sony are just taking the crap aspects of the idea.

Thats not really true either. Or rather, I've played the Total War games for years and if I wanted voice chat when playing I would use Vent or the other voice services that we use (for free). Its just another thing I have to turn off not to be disturbed. And Steam fully has the capability to give me that service without adding the locked to one account thing and they're already getting benefits out of this arrangement by forcing people to download and use Steam just to play the game. If Steam was enhancing my gaming experience on Total War then developers would let them add it without the ridiculous Anti-Used game DRM.

And on another plus side for Sony (apart from the fact that they didn't do this for multiple years after valve started). Steam forces me to log in to it and load it up before I can even play my game. At least on the PSN you don't have to wait 5 seconds + to start up a game so the DRM can kick in.

Heck it's worse, I have to logout of my Steam and load up my brothers Steam every single time I want to play. I'm actually having to type in a password to play a game I own.

Tanis:
IF DRM ends up on the next wave of gaming consoles...
I'm out.

I'll have a lawn chair and cooler waiting for ya, cause I'm going to ignore any and all Sony related happenings from here on out, they pretty clearly don't want me coming back as costumer

BrotherRool:

Zipa:

The difference is Steam actually has a upside to it, things like cheaper games, free voice and text chat (doesn't work cross game without PSN +) ect. Sony are just taking the crap aspects of the idea.

Thats not really true either. Or rather, I've played the Total War games for years and if I wanted voice chat when playing I would use Vent or the other voice services that we use (for free). Its just another thing I have to turn off not to be disturbed. And Steam fully has the capability to give me that service without adding the locked to one account thing and they're already getting benefits out of this arrangement by forcing people to download and use Steam just to play the game. If Steam was enhancing my gaming experience on Total War then developers would let them add it without the ridiculous Anti-Used game DRM.

And on another plus side for Sony (apart from the fact that they didn't do this for multiple years after valve started). Steam forces me to log in to it and load it up before I can even play my game. At least on the PSN you don't have to wait 5 seconds + to start up a game so the DRM can kick in.

Heck it's worse, I have to logout of my Steam and load up my brothers Steam every single time I want to play. I'm actually having to type in a password to play a game I own.

I can see your point about it being a inconvenience, Steam isnt perfect by any means but it at least does have a upside. Ventrilo/teamspeak are not free though. Someone somewhere is paying to rent the server. And again Steam voice is off by default, its on you to turn it on so its not really annoying. Some games have their own voice chat thats turned on by default (like most call of duty titles but that is nothing to do with Valve.

Scars Unseen:
This is a pretty blatant violation of first sale doctrine. I'm sure the US courts won't do anything about it because fuck consumer rights, but I imagine it won't fly to well over on the other side of the Atlantic.

No it isn't. Read the EULA some time. You don't buy videogames, you are merely renting them indefinitely for(usually) a one time fee. You can't rent a car and then sell it any more than you can a videogame. This does not however, apply to most old games from the early 90s and before, but anything from the past 10-15 years is not something you technically own.

huh. I guess I'd care if my ps3 wasn't gathering dust while the 360 still sees use.

And more and more Sony products were cracked.

Y'know, I'd dismiss this as just an idea they filed a parent on in case they felt like using it later, and conclude that Sony would never, ever do something so actively hostile to their customers.

I would conclude that, if I had not seen them do something similarly user-hostile not that long ago, through their music wing. Anyone remember that lawsuit they lost over putting rootkits on music CDs? Because I do.

I'm fine with this as a concept. Playing a game is unlike buying a physical good, it's an experience more akin to going to the cinemas, a concert, a theme park, etc. Films, television and books are also moving in this direction.

The problem lies in execution (i.e. being user-friendly) and appropriate pricing. Steam does this well. Sony's track record, however, does not bode well. If they were to implement this without dramatically improving their online service and reducing the prices of games, they could fall out of the console race completely.

if this happens im going on a hunger strike until they remove it

Well I just won't buy a PS 4 than. That simple, 90% of the games I buy are new anyway but if they're going to be complete dicks I'll just take my business else where.

Mycroft Holmes:

Scars Unseen:
This is a pretty blatant violation of first sale doctrine. I'm sure the US courts won't do anything about it because fuck consumer rights, but I imagine it won't fly to well over on the other side of the Atlantic.

No it isn't. Read the EULA some time. You don't buy videogames, you are merely renting them indefinitely for(usually) a one time fee. You can't rent a car and then sell it any more than you can a videogame. This does not however, apply to most old games from the early 90s and before, but anything from the past 10-15 years is not something you technically own.

Actually I think you need to re-read those laws because yo got them half assed backwards, you OWN the disk and when you sell that disk you sell the license to use it as long as you can no longer use it.

If this actually gets implemented, I know which console generation I'll be skipping.

Just another potentially misguiding attempt to control content. Let them put it on there, I simply won't buy it. It'll be just another reason why PC gaming is light years ahead and way better than any console. That said, I have not really been able to buy a used PC game for a very long time. But we also have a lot more options as PC gamers when it comes to pricing and where we buy games.

Sony execs, apparently: "HURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR"

Seriously, how could anyone even remotely think this is a good business strategy? The business lost from lowered franchise recognition and from people flat-out refusing to buy your games can't possibly be outweighed by the increased new game sales. Hell, just patenting the tech was a bad PR move.

Edit: Plus, they'll probably get their pants sued off if they try this.

Baldr:

WouldYouKindly:

Baldr:

No other industry has to deal with retailers that market used items over new merchandise and undercut new sales.

The car industry does. Used car lots specifically undercut new sales and I'm pretty sure all the car companies would rather everyone have to buy new cars all the time.

If they want to cripple the used market, then go for a cheaper and more convenient digital distribution service. There's a reason why people use Steam so much, it's just easier than going to a store.

No they don't. You don't see Ford, Toyota, or any of the other major car brands putting used cars on the lots out in front. The used cars are usually in the back or in a separate lot.

Actually you do. I worked for a Ford dealership and we always put the used cars in front and middle with banners advertising them. On the sides the new cars went with nothing more than the window stickers. It is up to the seller how to arrange their products. It is not mandated by the manufactures.

Why do corporations think wasting money fighting tooth and nail against consumer culture will end well for them?

EMBRACE used saled, get involved in the process, make it EASIER for people to engage in used sales - they will make more money. This might even cut out the middlemen resulting in increased profits for producers and (potentially) savings for consumers.

Steam has cut out the middle-men. It doesn't need to provide used games because it has sales that are effectively the same thing for the consumer. Steam sees all of the revenue from those sales. Sure it would be -nice- to be able to sell a Steam copy of a game but considering how many I picked up for $5 I won't lose any sleep over it.

Essentially: If Sony wants to go ahead with this they better drop prices of new games by $20 across the board. But we know they won't do that.

The used games market has been around since gaming began, why are they so hell bent on killing it, a lot of people don't have the time or money to buy new games all the time.

Also, if you get a game on release and it breaks down the line, you woul have to buy a full copy of the game just to play it again? Screw that.

I could outline more reasons why this won't work, but it has been said and better written already on this thread.

Well, I'm not surprised in the slightest. I think we all saw this coming. I don't know if they'd implement it right away, but I always knew they were considering these sorts of devices.

It will be circumvented within a week, I'm sure.

As for the morality of creating these devices - I wouldn't say it's "evil" but it is anti-consumer. They are, indirectly, trying to stop people from selling the games they own, and that isn't right.

So that could spell the end of bringing a game to a party or anything similar. Friend wants to bring a multiplayer game to your house? NOPE. Fuck's sake Sony. I try so hard to be on Playstation's side. >_<

Mortis Nuncius:
So, unlike the many that have done so already, I'm choosing to not jump the gun and make wild accusations in the process, but to withhold my judgment until after I've heard what Sony has planned for the patents (which hasn't even been made official yet). For all we know, they could be hoping to obtain the patent to prevent other companies from using that sort of technology with malicious intent. I'm not saying that it is their plan, so please don't tell me I'm wrong for my speculations.

Not jumping the gun is generally the best course of action... but still, you have to wonder....

All I can say is that I hope Sony isn't dumb enough to use it.

Abomination:
Essentially: If Sony wants to go ahead with this they better drop prices of new games by $20 across the board. But we know they won't do that.

All because of greed, greed, greed, amirite? Your idea would probably work, but because it won't make as MUCH money as they would otherwise, it ain't gonna happen.

Really, if you ask me, it all comes down to priorities: should they go through with this, it will clearly show that they care more about making money NOW than they do customer service and loyalty (which would be a more reliable way of securing cash flow than trying to squeeze it out their consumers). If they want people's money, they should give customers good reasons to give it to them.

fuck that shit....

and the sad thing is there would still be plenty of fanboys to buy the PS4, I bought a pS3 this gen because it seemed like the better option for me, now whats the point of a console?

Matt K:
Um, could you guys at least try to use the appropriate terms in your article? Sony did not patent this, they simply filed a patent application, which anyone can do on absolutely anything. Does not mean that Sony will get a patent on this (although they may, it'll be a few years at the least before there's any result).

You'd be surprised how quickly a patent can be issued. At least, here in the US. Sometimes in a short a time as a few months after application.

And, it's actually very likely they will be granted said patent. Given Microsoft patenting a "big brother"-esque monitoring system for streaming media and Apple patenting a God-damned geometric shape (rectangle with rounded corners), a green-lit patent on disc-locking technology isn't too far-fetched.

Fappy:
If they don't have some plan for it I have to wonder why they spent the money to develop it in the first place. Though, I agree that they aren't likely dumb enough to utilize this for the PS4.

I'm not so sure Sony can afford to move forward with the PS4 in the first place. They're going off a financial cliff pretty fast, and without any brakes.

They wouldn't have spent the money on developing and patenting this if they weren't going to use it. Wake up people, they're putting it in the PS4.

I have often said, especially in private, that this sort of technology is entirely feasible, easily implemented, and would mean the death of whichever company employed it first. Nintendo and Microsoft, if Sony employed this, would have fodder to use to lure former Sony users over en masse; Sony does not care about you, wants to violate first sale doctrines with an end run, wants to drive game stores to extinction, etc. They'll not just grab market share, they'll grab a lot of good will from companies like GameStop who would likely 'accidentally' undership Sony products or constantly move them to the rear of the store, etc. Remember, for all the ills associated with them, Sony NEEDS GameStop to move physical merchandise. They have a higher market penetration than anything else in terms of brick-&-mortar locations. Which means that for physical disc sales done in person, as well as moving the console itself- which is something of a concern, one would think -you need GameStop on board. And if you make negating used sales a cornerstone? No, they won't be on board. Not even close.

tl;dr: The only way Sony uses this technology is if they are suicidal or utterly delusional to the point they think they can just skip that minor in-person element of video game sales entirely.

Yeah. No. I'll stick with the PS3.
You "smart" consumers can have your PS4.
Have fun with Sony's "genius" plan.

Sony, evidently not satisfied with the console war, is now in the running for "Most Evil Game Corporation" title. Activition and EA both look hard to beat, but you're on your way there Sony! Ganbatte!

How am I going to explain to my wide-eyed little brother that games are made and published by people who also love games now?

well if i like a game enough to buy it, ill buy it new so this doesnt hurt me in the slightest. as someone who has bounced back and forth between pc gaming and console gaming, i just dont get the big deal with having to buy games new. try and buy a used pc game at gamestop...go ahead, ill wait.

i welcome the idea of used games going away, then i wouldnt have to see the stupid debate pop up anymore

Didn't have enough money to buy that 56th porch?

My guess is that Sony is copyrighting this so they can do it if Microsoft decides to do it first. They can't seriously be stupid enough to release this.

I'm a very poor person. I own a grand total of 2 console games, and i usually rent every other game from gamefly. If this happens, renting will become impossible along with used games, so no more games for me.

If they do This i'll skip the playstation and get the Nintendo console that'll be out at that time. It'll be nice to catch up on all the zelda games i missed.

Tieing it to the machine id?

That's it, fuck this. I'm out.

No more consoles for me. Fuck you exclusives, fuck you hard.

Well, since Sony holds the patent for this at least we can be sure that Microsoft wont try to fuck us with it.

And last time i checked Sony officials werent so abysmally stupid as to force DRM such as this onto a console.

And theres a realatively low chance of it ever being used anyway.

So for now theres little issue to be actually had.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here