Cyberpunk 2077 Trailer Goes on Transhumanist Rampage

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Scorpid:
Well... That told us nothing except for mood and setting... and I WANT TO PLAY IT SO BAD NOW v_v. Cyber Punk is one of the most underused genres in the game industry which makes absolutely no sense because it's so perfectly translatable for it. Big showy set pieces, easy to relate to plot devices, stat progression with augmetics, action and conflict everywhere you look. I hope this is the game that kicks it off, because Syndicate and the Shadowrun FPS's weren't at all.

HardRockSamurai:
The teaser did a good job at getting me intrigued, so I'm definitely looking forward to a trailer that tells us more about the plot, the characters, and, most importantly, shows us some gameplay. So yeah, I've got high hopes that this game comes through.

Also, and this may just be me because I'm a graphic designer and actually care about this crap, but am I the only one who thinks that the title font for this game looks awesome! OK, maybe the "P" looks wee bit like an "F" (I keep reading it as "CyberFunk") but who gives a damm! Look at it! It's freaking radical! Right?

I want this font for my welcome mat. Seriously.

That font is pure 80's cheese with a slight modern twist with the 2077 so I suppose it shows they don't intend to ignore the 80's roots of Cyberpunk. It does look good to me.

That logo is FRESH. And I loved the trailer. Rarely does a no-gameplay video excite me, but this one got my attention.

Good times ahead for cyberpunk fans, isn't it? This, Shadowrun Returns, Remember Me and Watch Dogs? Hot damn! As a matter of fact, to get into the proper mood, I think I'm gonna do something I should have done years ago - buy myself a copy of Shadowrun on the SNES(I only rented it back in the day, and never could finish it).

Lazy:

mad825:
"when it's ready"

Oh god, please god no. I beg you god, for fucks sake.

I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one who thought this immediately upon seeing the "release date." Don't tempt fate, guys.

Do you guys remember when Blizzard was considered the king of all kings for that very same motto when it came to games being released?

It was why we praised them for Starcraft (and Starcraft II). It'll be done when it's done.

I guess being based in Poland they don't have absurd CEO bonuses that require stupidly fast production times and thus production costs, so they can take their time and do it right.

CD Project are looking to be THE most beloved game company for at least the next few years.

Never played The Witcher but I have heard good things.

I also much prefer sci-fi over fantasy (fantasy is good though too) so this piques my interest much more than The Witcher. I will keep my eye on this one.

Abomination:

Lazy:

mad825:
"when it's ready"

I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one who thought this immediately upon seeing the "release date." Don't tempt fate, guys.

Do you guys remember when Blizzard was considered the king of all kings for that very same motto when it came to games being released?

It was why we praised them for Starcraft (and Starcraft II). It'll be done when it's done.

I guess being based in Poland they don't have absurd CEO bonuses that require stupidly fast production times and thus production costs, so they can take their time and do it right.

CD Project are looking to be THE most beloved game company for at least the next few years.

..And then they will be purchased by EA, whore out their franchises and name, and become the most hated game company for the years following the few good years. :3

(knock on wood!)

FelixG:

Abomination:

..And then they will be purchased by EA, whore out their franchises and name, and become the most hated game company for the years following the few good years. :3

(knock on wood!)

Better to have loved and lost than never loved at all.

And so on.

The games they did make will be remembered as their 'golden era'.

But they're more likely to be bought out by Ubisoft than EA, I imagine.

FelixG:

KingsGambit:
Ooohhhhh
Haaaaaaaaaaaaah

Wow, that trailer gave me the chills. I don't know if I'll be able to wait till release; perhaps I will go to Poland and sell my body to pay for a preview. These guys are today what BioWare used to be, the maker of great RPGs that cater to RPG fans, not mass-market shooter audiences.

I absolutely can't wait for this and is one of very few games I'll be pre-ordering in the foreseeable future (the only other I can think of off-hand is Thief IV). Love this trailer, fantastic stuff.

I can only pray to the Heavens in the hope they don't ruin this by making it for current-gen consoles. Please let it be a PC game...a console UI, tiny maps and all the achievement bullshit would just tarnish what is potentially the most exciting RPG to come it out in the next year or two.

Someone mentioned before that the launch date that they are shooting for is a 2015 release, which should be a full year after the death of the last of the current gen consoles, so I think we can safely rule out the PS360 generation of consoles for this beauty.

2015! My word that's a long way away. :-(

I hope you're right about current-gen consoles mate. I don't think it would be fair on this game to be just another generic-UE3 developed title with the tiny maps and umpteen loading screens. From the wiki-page there'll be lots of classes, customisation and choices, all of which equal lots of replayability.

It's sad that because the current-gen is so long in the tooth that games now are already old before their time. Skyrim was great, but I can barely imagine how it might've been had it not been developed to run on 2005 200 console hardware.

Never played one of their games before, but I'm definitely keeping my eye on this title. Not only am I in love with the design of their cyberpunk world design, CD Project have also gained instant cred with me for that final message - "Coming: When it's ready". Brilliant.

I wonder how I've never heard of this pen & paper RPG until now... I play that kind of game every week with my pals. I should ask them about it.

Man, that guy is kinda putting himself at risk of friendly fire isn't he? Walking right up to Miss Scissorhands while the cops are still firing.

Anyway, cool trailer.

Then again, so were The Witcher 2 trailers. Fool me once...

I'm more excited about the secret message that says they will announce another project on February 5, and that we can guess which one it is. And that it's going to be a fully free roaming game. The Witcher 3 folks! I'm so hyped I could explode!

Zhukov:
Man, that guy is kinda putting himself at risk of friendly fire isn't he? Walking right up to Miss Scissorhands while the cops are still firing.

Anyway, cool trailer.

Then again, so were The Witcher 2 trailers. Fool me once...

Well if you consider the woman was having bullets hit and bounce and she was in a swimsuit, while he is in what looks like tactical gear, I dont think he was in all that much danger even if he was the one they were shooting at :P

The trailer's music is horrible imo and it doesn't really tell much about the game/gameplay...

I'm still looking forward to this, I liked the Witcher games and cyberpunk is always interesting.

octafish:

Shouldn't worry, The Witcher 2 was made with consoles in mind, but it probably won't be on the current generation of consoles. If you are a Sony Fan just pray the PS4 isn't as much a shit to program for as the PS3, otherwise you may be out of luck.

I don't think that it's even possible for it to be worse to program for:-P

Definitely next gen console stuff.

Micah Weil:

Zer_:
I've always assumed that it was the cybernetic implants within the brain that caused people to go wonky.

In Cyberpunk 2020, you had a "humanity" score, based off of a number of things. Every single bit of cybernetic alteration you made to yourself - and I mean EVERY single one; even a very simple cosmetic alteration dropped your Humanity score by .1 - would reduce that score a bit.

Get low enough, you become cold, distant.
Get to zero, the GM takes your character sheet away from you and your character goes apeshit.

Hopefully, they'll implement that into this game...

This sounds very cool and interesting. Adds some weight to your choices and allows plenty of characterization in my opinion.

Karoshi:
This sounds very cool and interesting. Adds some weight to your choices and allows plenty of characterization in my opinion.

Eh...you want to go "plenty" on the customization, you're going to have to go, grab some buddies, some paper and dice, and track down a copy of the 2020 itself. Maybe a couple of the source books as well.

A LOT of the bits and pieces mentioned in the pen-and-paper really have no value to a game like this. You might get a good degree of customization, but I can almost promise you, a lot of it is going to HAVE to be left out because some power gamer is going to go "WAAAAAAAAAAH!" over having custom irises that display logos and messages, because it has no functional use.

I like how the skyscrapers are built on top of the old buildings. Vertical exploration in an open world game would be awesome.

amazing graphics, i must say.

but she gets hired in the end because......she is hot? whaaaaaaaaat?

and why would you have wrist blades in the first place?

For some reason I read that as Cyberpunk 007 (as in a cyberpunk version of Goldeneye.)

Overall the trailer look interesting but until I see proper gameplay of it, I would have much of an opinion if the game look good or not. The setting remind me of Blade runner and the criminal woman remind me of OVA anime AD Police (psycho cyborg women on the loose).

"Coming: When it's ready"

I wouldn't want it any other way to be honest.

Anyway, I'm hoping this game grabs me more than Deus Ex HR did because that one got pretty boring pretty fast for me.

mad825:
"when it's ready"

I think you're confused with "When it's done". "When it's ready" isn't cursed yet.

OT: This looks like Deus Ex Human Revolution with the mature themes of The Witcher. I love the concept and hope that CDPR will be able to pull it off.

rhizhim:
amazing graphics, i must say.

but she gets hired in the end because......she is hot? whaaaaaaaaat?

and why would you have wrist blades in the first place?

...you wouldnt hire a person who is bullet proof and can kill 14 people with their bare ha...er...blades? And she seemed to have regained control of herself after going psycho, that counts for something!

I dunno about you, but I would love some wrist blades :P

Doom972:

mad825:
"when it's ready"

I think you're confused with "When it's done". "When it's ready" isn't cursed yet.

What's the difference? Same meaning, different words.

My first real 'Do Want!' moment of the year.

xXSnowyXx:
Whelp, that looks awesome. It wasn't gameplay but, I mean, did you see that shit?! If the game is half as good as the teaser I'll be happy.

Like dead island taught me before. Teaser trailers do not always live up to the hype.

Zip Loc:

Tarkand:
The trailer does look like the art of those old rpg books that made no sense... like how this is essentially a scene of an armed squad shooting at a girl WHILE THE GUY THEY HIRED TO KILL HER IS STANDING RIGHT NEXT TO HER.

Wait what? ._.

Good old 80' rpgs, I swear.

The guy isn't there to kill her, he is part of the police (specifically the MAX-TAC [Maximum Force Tactical Division], or Psycho Squad) and, crazy as this may sound, is trying to recruit her to kill others who take the path she did. Near the end of the trailer, you can see her in the "dropship" with the guy getting the same gear as he does. (You can tell from the facial scar that they zoom in on then zoom out to make for a scene change)

And clearly the best way to convey this is to have him stand behind her all Judge Dredd like about to execute her, right? WHILE a fully armed riot squad is shooting at them with automatic weapons. Yeah, it's the picture of common sense. :P

Rpg book art has come a LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG way since the old days of the 1st edition of all the game we love (D&D, Shadowrun, Amber, etc) - not only was the art not as pretty, quite often (especially during 'action scene') you ended up wondering what the hell was happening.

While this trailer is beautiful, to me, it certainly carried that old 'chaotic' vibe of the older artworks of the genre. Weither that's a bad or a good thing is up to you I guess - the logo is also extremely 'retro' and from what I understand they have one of the creator of the Cyberpunk rpg on board, so it is quite possibly the vibe they were going for.

Tarkand:

Zip Loc:

Tarkand:
The trailer does look like the art of those old rpg books that made no sense... like how this is essentially a scene of an armed squad shooting at a girl WHILE THE GUY THEY HIRED TO KILL HER IS STANDING RIGHT NEXT TO HER.

Wait what? ._.

Good old 80' rpgs, I swear.

The guy isn't there to kill her, he is part of the police (specifically the MAX-TAC [Maximum Force Tactical Division], or Psycho Squad) and, crazy as this may sound, is trying to recruit her to kill others who take the path she did. Near the end of the trailer, you can see her in the "dropship" with the guy getting the same gear as he does. (You can tell from the facial scar that they zoom in on then zoom out to make for a scene change)

And clearly the best way to convey this is to have him stand behind her all Judger Dredd like about to execute her, right? WHILE a fully armed riot squad is shooting at them with automatic weapon. Yeah, it's the picture of common sense. :P

Well, when those guys guns best efforts can only scratch you, and if you arent sure she has regained control of herself or is still psycho, sure it makes perfect sense! :P

The music of Archive, the games of CD Projekt and the style of Cyberpunk.

/massive fanboygasm

Saviordd1:

UnderGlass:
Pretty adolescent stuff to be honest and a bit disappointing as far as tone goes. Still, their environment artists deserve a pay-raise. The attention to the details like the 80s influenced color scheme and the spinners made me very very happy. Overall I'm still excited for the game even if I'm pretty neutral on the teaser.

Well it's supposed to be at least partially YOUTHFUL (Thus the term "punk") but honestly, what's so sophomoric about it?

Baresark:
I'm honestly curious about what was adolescent in that trailer?

Edit: OT (forgot this but): Not that I wasn't already interested in the game, but this is a cool teaser. It's deep and works on a couple of levels. The juxtaposition of the action against the slow motion is always effective, IMO. The music was appropriate and it was interesting to see the... what I can only describe as the look of welcome acceptance the events are over, and perhaps the characters pain in what has transpired. It really only makes me a bit more mad that we probably aren't going to see the game this year.

It's no drama, I actually thought the clip was very stylish. Particularly well brought out in the environmental details. The cyborg stripper just felt a little cheap to me though and bullet-time is a bit of a cliche as well. Don't misunderstand; I played and love the original Cyberpunk p&p and love the series. I also still own the 2020 rulebook and clearly remember the illustration this is based on. I enjoyed the atmosphere of the teaser but the execution threw it off a little for me.

Btw Baresark, I also appreciated the little look of resignation she gives as movement resumes. I did think that was subtly done.

Not sold on Mister Popped Collar but - eh. We'll probably get the option to switch armour styles.

Other than that, looks pretty cool. It's kind of weird, but I've always liked games with a Humanity counter that can take hits (Vampire, Cyberpunk 2020). I like when you're pushed low enough that options that would make sense for most people become plainly unavoidable. Like your social skills are shutting down and the GM doesn't let you react in a reasonably sedate manner.

The Critic:
So, too many dips into the human augmentation pool causes people to go from Adam Jensen to HK-47?

A terrific way to sum up the system.

And to Weil (and any others who played the RPG) : Did you catch the art from the original rpg in the background?

I did. Because I played Cyberpunk 2013. Because I am old and apparently my only reward is to pick up on stuff like that. Also I love that I'm posting this in 2013.

FelixG:

LiquidGrape:
Gun fetishism and sexism - the logical next step in CDPR's "mature" line of games.

Yay for sensationalists!

There is nothing particular in this trailer that is sexist. And this isnt gun fetishism, so, yeah, nice post!

I'm in the weird position of disagreeing with both of you. The only thing more present than the sexism is the ridonkulous gun fetishism. But if they nail this - really nail it - than both these elements absolutely should be present and played up. So let's not be so snooty about 'mature' , mmkay? I'll agree that while mature content in games tends to be a heads up for juvenile giggle-fests at boobs and violence, there is a place for what this trailer shows in a game called "Cyberpunk."

A massive theme in cyberpunk literature was the commodification of everything and blurring the boundaries between organic and not-organic. The body was not some sacred thing beyond modfication, it was just another thing, another tool. It is clear Ms. SmallClothes with the armored face has had more than a little augmentation, 'weaponizing' her beauty. (as opposed to, say, putting her brain in a considerably less sexy tank). That's indisputably sexist. Doesn't mean it's bad, though - if the game is following through with the cyberpunk themes then in the context it could be wholly appropriate.

By the same token, while the gun fetishism is badly timed from a US pop-culture perspective, I don't think sensationalizing it with 'oh noes' is appropriate. Again, in this genre everything is commodified and lines are blurred between non-organic and organic so giving an inorganic thing (guns) properties of organic things (sexual qualities) works pretty damn well. The art-film snob in me looks at how this scene was composed and what I see is so questionably appropriate that I think I'm going to hide it behind the convenient spoiler tag...

That could be skating on some metaphorically thin ice, so let's take fetishism as slang for 'exceptional attention to detail', in which case the close ups on the guns, the slow motion ejection of cartridges, the beauty of bullets spinning through the air singly and in formation, etc etc. It's not like this is the only game to ever do this but all that stuff? Yes, gun fetishism the same way Forza pushes car fetishism.

Blah blah blah. Blah blah blah.

Needless to say, I'm really hoping this game lives up to its potential.

From this trailer, all I got is that there are enemies that do not take bullet damage. I will reserve my judgements until I see actual gameplay, but I like my enemies to die when I shoot them.

RyQ_TMC:

UnderGlass:
Still, their environment artists deserve a pay-raise.

CDP Red does some great EnvArt work, although the trailer was made by Platige Image (the same studio which made trailers and prerendered FMVs for the Witcher games), so I'm guessing they deserve the praise.

OT: I'm not a big fan of cyberpunk ("It's the 80s in the future! And it's dark! And gritty! And edgy!"), so I wasn't particularly interested in the game when it was announced, but maybe there's something to it. I'll mark February 5th in my calendar.

Perhaps. However since evoking the setting in particular is so vital to the game and this teaser - and with series creator Mike Pondsmith on-board for design duties - my guess would be CD-Projekt Red artists provided pretty detailed environmental concepts for the animation studio to work from. For example concept designs for the woman in the teaser have been up on the project website since October.

This game does look interesting, and I really liked the song in the trailer, but the trailer itself didn't really give much. Upon reading people's comments though, I'm guessing the girl with the scythe arm things went apeshit (as everyone is calling it) and was sitting there, realizing what just happened as people shot at her.
Kind of cool if that's the case.

Wait... A trailer without the fade to black, featuring an intriguing scene, with beautiful artistic styles and composition, featuring a decent, fitting song. Complete with a girl that doesn't look like she's in there just for the boobs, (but also for the armblades) and a guy who looks like he might be an interesting shoot-out to Judge Dredd and RoboCop. In a VIDEOGAME BY THE GENRE OF CYBERPUNK BY THE GUYS FROM THE WITCHER SERIES?!

I am dead and this is heaven.

I f*cking love the cyberpunk-genre, and this coming from a studio, critically acclaimed for their great, intriguing, albeit slightly dark story-writing. This might be the thing I have been waiting for without even knowing it.

I never even came close to the 80's Cyberpunk (I was born in 1986), but I like the theme A LOT, I'm looking forward to this

rofltehcat:
The trailer's music is horrible imo and it doesn't really tell much about the game/gameplay...

Nah, it tells you it's Cyberpunk (which is also where that logo comes from). :)

80s aesthetic, mayhem in dismal city streets, the visible cyberware on the woman (body sculpt, subdermal plating, cyberarms with uhhh... Bonespikes?). The scene itself looks like she was a solo who had an outbreak of cyber psychosis and they're bringing her in - the slow motion could also be seen as the effect of the boosted reflexes everyone in that scene would be running.

The game comes later. This hopefully lets you know they're headed in the right direction.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here