Bankruptcy Auction Ends THQ

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

wait sega owns relic This means one thing Relic Teams up with creative assembly to make the ultimate total war 40k game...
EDIT: The good thing is with a 26 mill Price tag relic and its IP will not be forgotten about

Manly tears were shed on this day by many in the game industry.
While I'm bawling like a little girl.

Yokillernick:

Quiotu:

Sorry but in recent memory I know Sega as being responsible for ruining the Valkyria Chronicles IP and backstabbing Alpha Protocol before it was even released.

Damn right. Fuck those guys at Sega who will just crap on Relic's talent. Why couldn't someone like Ubisoft buy Relic and for that matter why wasn't EA involved in scavenging the remains of what used to be a dead horse?

They only eat the living...

Relic got a good home and is surely on a good spot to grow with the help of its new brother: Creative Assembly

Well any hope of the Saints Row getting back on track is gone with the jackasses behind Dead Island working on it. RIP THQ you were the first company I ever remember good ol' Spongebob Squarepants on the PS2, those were the days. Then I found Saints Row and was glad to see you still were there but then Saints Row the Third happened which I won't mention since I'm trying to have good memories.

ubi, if you fuck with the stick of truth, you'll quickly see the truth of how far ill kick that stick up your ass.

otherwise, not bad, good on relic at least.

anthony87:
Well fuck......there goes that third Darksiders game I was hoping for.

It's still part of the chapter 11 filing and THQ is looking for buyers for the rest of their assets. It's quite possible we'll see another Darksiders game.

Darren716:
Well any hope of the Saints Row getting back on track is gone with the jackasses behind Dead Island working on it.

To be fair, any hope for the Saints Row franchise getting back on track was gone the minute the Third did so phenomenally. Saints Row 4 was already being based on the announced Dominatrix DLC, which involved fighting aliens with superpowers. Did you really think they were coming back?

Edit: I'd even go so far as to say there's nowhere to go but up.

Does anyone find it funny that the Homefront IP was only half a million?

Depressing, given the hype behind it.

Oh hey guess I wont be purchasing South Park: The Stick of Truth anymore.

O wait

http://rt.com/art-and-culture/news/south-park-game-claim-585/

Go Matt and Trey!

Sega now owns Relic? Interesting. They're really the only part of THQ I've cared about for a while now. Here's hoping they don't change much.

Quiotu:

Andy Chalk:
Employees of entities that are not part of the sale will be laid off. Among those assets are Darksiders studio Vigil Games and "some other intellectual properties."

Great... guess I'll just hang onto the two Darksiders games I own like a Faberge Egg. Won't be seeing those anymore...

No more darksiders? I'll get the parade and marching band ready for the celebration.

Rednog:
Wait what does this mean for Saints Row....? Hmmm Volition was bought by Koch Media...they run Deep Silver....who published...oh fuck you world.

Saints Row is in the hands of a lunatic publisher who told them to do whatever they wanted. No problem there.

Captcha: I have Fallen.

Actually, not being in the pub club anymore makes no difference to my experience on this site.

Wow, just wow. I love the games that THQ puts out. I only can hope for the best for the developers and employees who have given me hours over hours of amazing fun gameplay time with their masterpieces.

Soviet Heavy:

Quiotu:

Soviet Heavy:
So now Sega owns both the Warhammer 40K and Warhammer Fantasy Battle rights...

Make it your first order of business to hire back a bunch of Relic's old staff that were let go after Retribution.

I told this to a friend of mine, and I'll say it again here. Sega successfully shit all over any IP they had that I liked. I have little faith that Sega can even BUY a decent IP and then do anything good with it.

Sega owns Creative Assembly, the Total War developers. Who have only really made two duds, with Empire and Napoleon.

Shogun 2 was awesome. As were the expansions (Rise/Fall of the Samurai). And Empire was flawed, but still had merit.

Pat8u:
wait sega owns relic This means one thing Relic Teams up with creative assembly to make the ultimate total war 40k game...

Exactly what I was thinking.

Holy crap... Warhammer 40,000: Total War!

We may finally get to see a 4X Warhammer 40k with REAL TIME battles consisting of thousands of individual units - even space battles given the success they've had with naval combat in Shogun. This is something I was imagining before I even heard about THQ's financial woes. I am very giddy with hope they will jump on that potential goldmine... if Games Workshop lets them, the concept could brush a bit too close to their tabletop system.

I really swore EA was going to get Relic.

Surprised about SEGA, but who knows where that will head.

So, what about the Double Fine games that were put out through THQ? Still in limbo, back with Double Fine, still up for grabs?

Sad to see this fall apart, i guess ill need to rethink my publishers now a bit. At least the important IPs got a decent home.

No No why did this have to happen.
I was going to buy south park: the stick of truth
but now that money will go to ubisoft! who will release the game with some obnoxious DRM.

I am interested to see what crytek will do with homefront though.
but that will of course be published by EA and I dont like them eather.
Dammit!!

Relic probably got the best publisher out of the ones it could have gotten. (Hopefully) The Warhammer liscence is treated well...if Sega has it now.

Metro with Deep Silver kinda pisses me off, because while I did Dead Island for a short while, their other games (Sacred 2 etc.) make me worry. Unless they stay out of the way of the Metro team, Last Light could have some crappy tacked on Multiplayer.

While it sucks for Vigil employees, I will not miss Darksiders.

Uhhhhmmm...South Park games hasn't interested me, Homefront will be right at home under Crytek...Saint's Row can really go either way, although 3 was showing signs of....ehhh.

SL33TBL1ND:
Sega now owns Relic? Interesting. They're really the only part of THQ I've cared about for a while now. Here's hoping they don't change much.

Sega own the Total War games, so maybe we'll see a combination of talents do something amazing.

Shame about Vigil so far, I liked the Darksiders games, something new with a different kind of world toe explore and what was becoming a cool mythos. Sure the first game (being the first game for that company) had its issues, but it grew into something awesome with the second game.

If Platinum got Darksiders, that would be a good fit.

E-Hybrid:

Word is, the people behind Beyonetta are interested, could be a good fit, who knows.

South Park (IP) - purchased by Ubisoft for $3.2 million

so south park is dead! you eventually killed it, you bastards!

Unfortunate news. Any idea if Sega got the rights to Homeworld when they bought Relic? I would so love to see a third installment to that.

I take it no Space Marine 2 or Dawn of War 3. I'd rather the games not come out than have SEGA shit on my favourite RTS series. Relic have always been good with the fluff, a few things off but thats cuz I'm a huge 40k geek.

E-Hybrid:

From what i know, the head of PG was interested in buying it.

As for the rest:
Ubisoft buying TSotT - *sigh*, Uplay...
Volition under Deep Silver flag - meh, we'll see
Homefront goes to Crytek - i don't really care about that IP
Relic bought by Sega - Sega owns Creative Assembly(Total War series), so everything should be fine with CoH and WH40K IPs
(also, three words: Warhammer: Total War)

TheSYLOH:
Volition purchased by Koch Media
The guys who did the X series of space shooters.
Here's hoping they ditch Saints Row and actually get around to making Freespace 3!

Oh Jesus balls yes. This right here needs to happen.

MrCalavera:

E-Hybrid:

From what i know, the head of PG was interested in buying it.

Yep, he said so on twitter (props to Dexter111 for posting the news on the other thread)
http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/23/3909506/platinum-games-boss-expresses-interest-in-buying-darksiders-on-twitter

As for the results, I am somewhat relieved that SEGA got Relic. They have treated Creative Assembly with respect and is generally known to make good use of IPs.

Ubisoft takes over south park rpg?..... sure i am okay with that, i like ubisoft.

Excuse me if I don't share people's sentiments that Sega grabbing the WH40K license is a good thing. How Sega screwed over a few other RTS games with potential is still fresh in our memory.

Someone bought that moronic homefront rights? Fuck, I was going to celebrate the end of it.

SEGA owns relic. . . UBISOFT HAS SOUTH PARK?!!?!?!?!?!

I fucking hate ubisoft. I hate them even more because of this and I didn't even think that was possible!!

Oh wait . . . there's one upside! Relic owns total war so they probably won't fuck with relic, huzzah!

Soviet Heavy:

CorvusFerreum:

Soviet Heavy:

I found that Empire was a major step down from the godly Kingdoms expansion, which I hold up as the most complete total war game ever. Empire isn't a bad game, but I felt it was lacking compared to the other titles.

I liked Empire because it had some bold ideas. The naval warfare was a good addition, if not perfect (no hotkeys for the broadsides? Seriously?). But it had it's flaws. The AI was not up to par and it was fucking bugged. The sound of the cutscenes bugged out on me and quite a few others. I also had more then one campaign in which the AI caused a CTD and there was no way to prevend it. This made some of my campaigns impossible to complete. It also seemed to be a common issue, they never fixed.
But over all I think it braught the franchise forward in some aspects. It's just a shame that expansions like Kingdoms are not to be expected anymore.
Medieval II Kingdoms truely was the pinnacle of the franchise. And it was published by Sega. There is hope and I will cling to it.

Medieval II was developed by Creative Assembly Australia, who had started working on it while Rome was just finishing up development by the UK branch. Unfortunately, the Australia division no longer exists.

Damn, should've known this. Still: I think the main problems of Empire were caused by it beeing rushed. And the whole "Expansion" this was just a joke compared to what Rome and Medieval II had to offer in that regard. So maybe Sega learns from it and gives Relic time to do their thing with CoH II and DoW III (and maybe Space Marine II? Please?). We'll see how Rome II turns out.
I sadly can't comment on Napoleon and Shogun II. I just had no interest in Napoleon, since it seemed to be basicly Empire again, for full price and just a year after Empire. And while I have Shogun I haven't really played it all that much for some reason. Perhaps I should take a look into it these days.

Istvan:
Someone bought that moronic homefront rights? Fuck, I was going to celebrate the end of it.

The setting may have potential if they turn it into a 2D sprite based TBS with squad command elements and troop costumization. I heard Crytek was great at doing these things

But in all seriousnes: EA has another FPS franchise. Whoopdidoodle. It's just what they needed to diversify their product range. I can't wait to see wether you have the M4 carabine or the M16. Or maybe they allow you to have both. That would be a bold move, wouldn't it?

Akalabeth:

erttheking:

J Tyran:
Is Sega owning Relic a good thing or a bad thing? I only know a few games published be Sega but they seemed OK, Relic happens to be one of my favorite devs. Hopefully Sega will be able to invest in Relic and we will continue to see great games coming from them

They published Vanquish, a completely INSANE third person shooter, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, even if I'm not qualified because I only ever played Space Marine in terms of Relic's games.

They also published Binary Domain, which I just played finished yesterday and is a decent Gears of War sort of game. Controls could've been a bit tighter but good fun none the less.

My favorite game series currently published by Sega is Yakuza. Binary Domain is fine, Creative Assembly games are very good (minus Stormrise), Platinum Games rocks. They also published the latest Alien vs Predator game, and Alien: Colonial Marines will soon come out. While not really that great, AvP had it's moments, wo maybe this one won't be bad as well.

Overall, I think Relic will be just fine under Sega's wings.

I'm also happy, because the company I'm working at was publishing both THQ and Sega games in Poland, so I'm glad at least CoH and (probably) WH40k franchise will stay with us. :)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here