U.S. State Senator Apologizes to Gamers, Insults Them Again

Pages PREV 1 2

As a gun owning gamer, sometimes I don't know just which attacks are worse.

The attacks from people who know nothing about video games that accuse me of being a bloodthirsty killer.

or,

The attacks from people who know nothing about guns that accuse me of being a bloodthirsty killer.

I'm going to go back to tabletop RPG's, nobody thinks I'm going to go insane and do horrible things because I play them...

...oh wait, Tom Hanks does.

erttheking:
....Hey Canada? Where is a good place to live there? I may be moving soon.

Come off it. If you're so badly put off by one badly-behaved state senator, you'd have an aneurysm when you find out what our local political monkeys have been doing (BAD ALL POLITICIANS! BAD!).

OT: Merph. Someone convince me that he deserves any more reaction than "merph".

tangoprime:
Oh California...

So, I'm wondering when California legislators are going to start calling out Hollywood for all the violence in movies, y'know, their biggest export/tax base?

I can't seem to find it at the moment, but there's a really great video someone put together with a bunch of major actors calling for gun control, and measures to prevent gun violence, then showing a montage of them shooting people in a dozen or so movies each.

Here is at least one version of the video you are looking for.

Remember: it's always politically easier to blame the industry and demand more government control then to tell parents to be responsible and not let their kids play a violent videogame (or eat a cheeseburger and so on).

i dont udnerstand his apology. is he apologizing by telling us we have "inherent problems"?

tangoprime:
Oh California...

So, I'm wondering when California legislators are going to start calling out Hollywood for all the violence in movies, y'know, their biggest export/tax base?

your 50 years too late. they did back then. turns out it didnt work, so they moved onto the next big thing.

"...the industry has profited at the expense of children."

So...just like nigh-uncountable numbers of food, media, pharmaceutical, electronic, and clothing industries like Post, Disney, Procter & Gamble, Apple, and L'orange?

In short...just like almost everyone then, or am I counting wrong here?

Spartanmk1:
See why us Rational Californians consider Yee an idiot? Dude tries to ban violent games, then he tries to ban a safety feature on a firearm, then he supports the practice of removing the fins from sharks for shark fin soup. Who'da thunk that a state senator from San Fran would cause so much trouble...

Yup i'm making sure I vote him out next term ASAP.

themilo504:
While I disagree with the guy and this is just shameless damage control I think what he actually means is that he doesn't hate gamers just the industry which I can understand a bit more.

Calling out the whole industry in relation to gun violence? No, he has no point. He is saying that the industry has exploited children, which is beyond BS.

What I take from it is that this guy thinks 100% of games are about ripping off limbs, stealing cars, banging hookers, & shooting people in the face.

Milanezi:
And what's so wrong about what he said?

Not sure if serious...

But his second tweet is a slap in the face

"I have a lot of respect for many gamers - many are on my staff and in my family - but the industry has profited at the expense of children."

As if gaming is detrimental to children some how....

FelixG:

Milanezi:
And what's so wrong about what he said?

Not sure if serious...

But his second tweet is a slap in the face

"I have a lot of respect for many gamers - many are on my staff and in my family - but the industry has profited at the expense of children."

As if gaming is detrimental to children some how....

Well, it's just that I read between the lines, and what he's saying is true, not all games are meant for children, and NONE of them are meant for children to play at all the time, he's not talking about a child playing Mario 1 hour per day. He's talking about a kid playing God of War for like 4 hours a day and growing up all fucked up, like this dude who stopped me in a bookstore the other day to say that my jacket was cool because it reminded me of Squall, than he asked me if I enjoyed Final Fantasy, I mean, that's not normal behavior.
And when it comes to games meant for children, there's the whole pushing advertisements (by the way, in many countries it's illegal to advertise products for children, such as toys and games) and your occasional "buy Wii it's healthy because your kid will be exercising with it", which is a freaking lie.
But hey, that's what I understand from his words.
Before you say anything, though, I'll protect myself beforehand and AGREE that much of the problem resumes to PARENTING, I grew up playing games and still play them, but my parents gave me the care and education and today I'm a normal person, not an angst ridden freakazoid. The problem is that parenting nowadays can be tricky: most of the times both parents work, sometimes, they work a LOT, because that's the only way to keep a good structure, but that might corrode the parenting when it comes to watching over the children if you know what I mean, and hiring a someone to look over the child is often expensive and involves a LOT of trust and research. There are many other factors as well, violence for instance, as in social violence, unfortunately, depending on where you live, it's not really nice to let your child have some fun at local park because the local park is gang territory or something.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here