D.I.C.E. 2013: J.J. Abrams and Gabe Newell Tease Portal Movie

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Star Trek, Star Wars and Portal?

Come on US government bust this trust on science fiction!

Break J.J. Abrams' knee caps!

Raidenko:
Well,will you look at that J.J. Abrams is trying to top Michael Bay at the childhood rape discipline in movie making. He is shaping up to be the Electronic Arts of movie makers or something. I'm going to be legit scared if he gets control over making a Neon Genesis Evangelion movie.

A rip-off of Evangelion is already coming out. It's with giant fighting robots and giant monster alien things from other dimensions that emerge from the sea~! :D

Ugh... So was this the Armageddon that the Mayans were predicting? 'Cause I'm about to blow my brains out. STAY AWAY FROM THINGS PEOPLE LIKE ABRAMS!

Isn't Guillermo del Toro doing the portal movie?

Oh, wait, that's just a grown up version of power rangers.

But still awesome.

OT
No worries. It won't happen. It couldn't... It shouldn't...

SonOfVoorhees:
Portal should be a cgi movie, i think it would work better with the humour....i may be wrong. Half life film would suck, the setting and atmosphere would be awesome but the aliens (head crabs) are to hilarious to put on team, what they gonna do? Order 50 turkeys, stick them on stuntmans head and send them to the movie set. lol

JJ is only on this because of Star Wars, if he makes that movie early then these movies may happen. But i doubt they will, not by him anyway. Neil Blomkapm (District 9) would be far better director for Halflife. An Valve could make there own CGI movie for portal....they make cgi cutscences etc in their games so should just invest in that.

This. Neither JJ nor Whedon. There are more directors out there that are more than compentent, you know? Neil Blomkamp did a magnificent job with District 9. Or Mathew Vaughn. Spread the love around, why the freaking monopoly?

I think J.J. Abrams could do a great job with an Opposing Force adaptation, or something similar. Just really hoping that it's not a Gordon Freeman/Chell/Glados thing. That would not be fun.

Oh good god; every piece of science fiction ever will now be undestinguishable beneath a blinding lens flare filter. Oh the horror!

shiajun:
This. Neither JJ nor Whedon. There are more directors out there that are more than compentent, you know? Neil Blomkamp did a magnificent job with District 9. Or Mathew Vaughn. Spread the love around, why the freaking monopoly?

I would love to see Neil Blomkamp direct a Half Life 2 movie.

Finally, a video game movie that'll be more than bad, or just average, but actually good. If, of course, it happens.

Oh man. So the hipsters have moved on to hating on JJ Abrams now? Good lord.

No.
Abrams make some good movies, not movies about stupid Valve properties.

Oh oh, I know let's make a movie where like this experiment goes wrong, and these aliens invade and they jump on your face, oh and the government is evil. Yeah that sounds original and interesting!

Or I know, let's make a movie about an evil overlord government, and then there's this town full of zombies and a crazy preacher, yeah that's off the wall original!

Who cares.

Akalabeth:
No.
Abrams make some good movies,

Who cares.

That's just it.. Yes most of his movies are good but he just isn't capable as far as his brief directing experience has proven thus far actually capable of making a great movie. So not only has he forever altered the Star Trek universe and not necessarily for the good, and is about to do the same to Star War, but he is attempting to apply his cliff notes style of directing and story telling to a game saga that should remain just that.. A game...

That's why anyone who have seen any thing sci-fi at this point should care what Abrams is about to ruin.

porpoise hork:

Akalabeth:
No.
Abrams make some good movies,

Who cares.

That's just it.. Yes most of his movies are good but he just isn't capable as far as his brief directing experience has proven thus far actually capable of making a great movie. So not only has he forever altered the Star Trek universe and not necessarily for the good, and is about to do the same to Star War, but he is attempting to apply his cliff notes style of directing and story telling to a game saga that should remain just that.. A game...

That's why anyone who have seen any thing sci-fi at this point should care what Abrams is about to ruin.

Dude did you SEE the Star Wars prequels?

Did you SEE the Next Generation movies?

Star Trek and Star Wars are already ruined.

The Star Wars prequels were a travesty out-done only by the special editions themselves. The latest Star Trek offerings have been terrible, and many of the fan's most be-loved series are not that great in the first place (DS9? Really?).

So yes, they're already dead.

Abrams is just breathing new life into them. Maybe it's not the life you want, but it's life which is better than Rick Berman or Paramount or Lucas beating a dead horse over and over. And I like Trek 2009, in fact I don't know anyone who doesn't like it and I know a lot of geeky people. Devote trekkies, sci-fi nerds, animators whatever, new fans etcetear. The only people who complain about it seem to be on the internet and most of the complaints seem to be off the ball like "it's not science-y enough". Which is off the ball because TOS wasn't that science-focused! It's only TNG and it's ilk that brought all these scientific talk crap, TOS is a space adventure with the occasional bit of philosophy and logical reasoning.

Let me put it this way.
I felt more emotion in the first 10 minutes of Trek 2009 than in the previous EIGHT hours of Star Trek movies and the last SIX hours of Star Wars movies. When I look at it in those terms I say JJ Abrams bring it on.

That being said, there are other directors who can do an equally fine job. I just re-watched Serenity last night and Joss Whedon obviously has some talent. Having Abrams do Trek, Star Wars and all this other stuff seems a bit much, not because I don't like the guy but I don't want him stretched thin. A man can only do so much work before stuff starts to slip.

And hell, who else is going to do it?
Nolan - has been hit or miss (I'm not in the DK is great camp), some good movies but also some movies with odd pacing.
Ridley Scott - Prometheus had great visuals but the story itself was a let down. He's hit or miss.
Neil Blomkamp - District 9 had some cool effects but can't say the story stuck with me.
James Cameron - formulaic and hit/miss
Brad Bird? - Hit or miss again, Iron Giant was great, something like the Incredibles was mediocre though I'm in the minority on that.

Hell even Peter Jackson is hit or miss with the Hobbit being generally quite boring.

Who else? What good sci fi movies have come out recently? What non-sci fi directors could do a good job?

And what do people actually criticize JJ Abrams for exactly? Don't tell me you think his stuff is mediocre, what's wrong with the specific movie? (ie Trek 2009).

What is it with people and giving this asshole sci-fi properties?

So to put it simply, if we get a Portal movie, Glados will end up coming out with some random quote that makes the entire movie make less sense, Chell will get shot and die, and the movie will abruptly end and never get a sequel.

Yes. I AM still pissed off about the ending of Alcatraz.

Colour me pessimistic but I don't see a Portal movie working. In the time it would take to watch the movie, you could play the game itself and have a good deal more fun. Want an audience as you play? Invite friends over. Believe me, watching Portal being played is almost as fun as doing the actual playing and your friends don't have to cough up twelve bucks each for the experience.

Now, a Half Life movie? That would work. Abrams style of cinematography (yes, lens flare and all) would portray that particular universe quite well and there's enough story in-game to make a movie stand up.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here