Update: Valve Fires Hardware Guru

Pages PREV 1 2 3

The downfall of Valve has officially begun it seems.

Gabe is also not getting any younger, once he goes, Valve is pretty much toast.

Frostbite3789:
As per pretty much every post in this thread, I guess Valve is an invincible company with pure white armor that can never get dirt on it. They can never do wrong. It was obviously all her. She obviously did something horribly wrong.

I'd say all those posts were before the update saying a bunch of other people were let go too, eh?

You pretty much hit the nail on the head here. Being a fan of any company really is bad, but Valve fanboys ESPECIALLY are one of the worst.

Jove:
The downfall of Valve has officially begun it seems.

Gabe is also not getting any younger, once he goes, Valve is pretty much toast.

To be entirely honest I had similar thoughts when I first read it, thinking financial difficulties.

I've oftentimes wondered how STEAM could stay in business with some of these massive sales they do. In general massive sales are great for motivating people to bring in regular business, but it seems like people have gotten to the point where they don't want to buy anything new when it comes to PC gaming, and will just "wait for a STEAM sale".

Given that the producers of the games get money for selling their games through STEAM it seems like a 75% discount which someone like Gabe authorizes probably comes out of the share for his service. The generosity that made Valve so popular might very well be responsible for it's current problems due to the way it's trained gamers.

Now, I could be totally wrong on this of course, but it DOES sound like there is some financial trouble there. I notice a lot of other huge, seemingly invulnerable, Juggernauts are losing money right now, it's not surprising that this might involve STEAM.

I'm not quite as willing to yell "The End Is Nigh" right now, but I don't in any way see this as a good sign, and truthfully if something happens to STEAM I'll wind up losing a ton of games and money invested in them. My hard drive simply isn't big enough to hold them all at once if I was to try and save them from a sinking ship, and I'd lose them on a later computer if nothing else.

Wow, this really does strike a chord.

This just goes to show that, as cool as Valve is, it's still a company, worn by time and the economy. I fear for projects like Half-Life 3 and Steam if someone at the head like Gabe leaves for some reason or another.

Especially given some of Steam's special circumstances regarding its games. I doubt there are two Gabes at Valve.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here