World's First Cyborg Speaks Out

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

DVS BSTrD:

rhizhim:

DVS BSTrD:
I bet Cyborg-marriage will be recognized in Texas before gay-marriage.

what about gay cyborg marriage?

also:

DESTROY ALL MEATBAGS

Cyborg marriage will take place the way GOD intended!

Wouldn't that be masterbation?

Or like a plant, since some of them can reproduce with themselves.

Kopikatsu:

DVS BSTrD:

rhizhim:

what about gay cyborg marriage?

also:

DESTROY ALL MEATBAGS

Cyborg marriage will take place the way GOD intended!

Wouldn't that be masterbation?

Or like a plant, since some of them can reproduce with themselves.

Well it's actually pretty hard to find a corresponding male and female outlet using google.

Adam Jensen:
And what's the first thing he did with this amazing gift? He made a painting of Justin Bieber's song. How delightful.

I'm very disappointed in you, Mr. Jensen. You had a prime opportunity to say "At least he asked for this," and instead you make a Justin Beiber joke. For shame. And you call yourself a Deus Ex fan...I'd have half a mind to ask you to relinquish your profile pic. ;P

OP: This is really awesome. However, it will open a whole new can of worms about cybernetic people's rights, fear of both their power and propagation (hope I spelled that right) from humans who don't want/need to alter themselves, and a whole bunch of other stuff. Still....this is pretty cool.

There's only one thing to say to this...

Seriouisly though, awesome, now can I have my robot arms?

I wasn't aware cyborg rights were being infringed upon.

Strange how this guy is a "legit" cyborg compared the guy with a camera in his eyesocket.

Or even better, a woman who is missing her left arm and has had her nerveendings grafted to her breast muscles.
The nerve endings still respond to her thinking that she's moving a finger, turning her wrist or lifting her arm as well as bending it.
This has allowed a team to create a shield that covers her breast and a computer mounted on her shoulder interprets it and moves the arm that's strapped to her.

This means that there is a woman who is controlling a cybernetic arm, with her thoughts.
http://www.ted.com/talks/todd_kuiken_a_prosthetic_arm_that_feels.html

The same team has through the same method, made a sensor that allows a person to feel through another prosthesis. They can feel if it's rough or silken or any other texture.

Compared to a sensor that translates colors into sounds, it seems a bit more useful and quite frankly, epic.
Then again, I don't know how it is, not to see color. But I could relate to losing an arm..!

Well, good that he asked for this, for a change...

Chemical Alia:

I'm no cyborg, but my brain does something just the opposite. When I hear music or tonal sounds, I perceive a specific color along with it. My piano teacher thought I was crazy.

I believe this condition is called "synesthesia".

VanQQisH:
Dear diary,

Today when I woke up, I learned that I had awoken in the future.

Sad thing is, despite the cyber-enhancements, potential black hole generators, cloned livestock, laser cannons and railguns, it will never truly feel like the future until I can drive a flying DeLorean...

Scars Unseen:

VanQQisH:
Dear diary,

Today when I woke up, I learned that I had awoken in the future.

Sad thing is, despite the cyber-enhancements, potential black hole generators, cloned livestock, laser cannons and railguns, it will never truly feel like the future until I can drive a flying DeLorean...

Also Hoverboards, and over a dozen Jaws sequels should do the trick.

Not a cyborg by my definition. He has to be able to control an integrated device with neurological signals. Otherwise, he just has fancy speaker glasses.

Chemical Alia:
Awesome technology! My grandfather was totally colorblind and loved new technology, he probably would have loved this.

I'm no cyborg, but my brain does something just the opposite. When I hear music or tonal sounds, I perceive a specific color along with it. My piano teacher thought I was crazy.

Isn't that just synesthesia? I know a few people who are like that.

Harbisson is said to be the first recognized cyborg in the world, since his passport photo includes his eyeborg enhancement.

I'm kind of confused by that definition of cyborg, because wouldn't people with glasses qualify in that if they wear them on their foto? What about people with retina chips? Much older than this item, but not externally visible. Does that make retina-chip carriers less of a cyborg rather than more as I would think? And what about the hundreds of thousands of people with cochlea implants, pace-makers, brain-shunts and all sorts of devices implanted into them?. I don't buy it. Whatever. It's a cool invention nonetheless, but sometimes these types of people really get carried away with their cyborg- and transhumanist-fixation to the point where they don't see the forest because of all the trees. My grandma is a cyborg. Her cochlea implant lets her hear.

I want to know why this guy needs special rights. It's not like he's being discriminated against because of what he has attached to his head is he? He's just a regular guy with some computer parts attached to him.

For everyone saying that they would love this ability for themselves, you can download the software from his website.
http://www.cyborgfoundation.com/ and go to LAB.

romanator0:
I want to know why this guy needs special rights. It's not like he's being discriminated against because of what he has attached to his head is he? He's just a regular guy with some computer parts attached to him.

Except Cyborgs have been discriminated against.

I would say this is synesthesia like technology.
There is a few free programs out there that transformed a picture or video signal into a sound signal letting blind people hear what the camera saw.
Another one(I think I saw it in the New Scientist magazine years ago) was where a picture could be felt on your tongue with special screen.

its all fun and games until that thing gets a laser upgrade....

Sorry, but he's not a cyborg, from what I can tell he can take the eyeborg off. By this logic wearing a wrist watch makes you a cyborg.

romanator0:

Did you watch the video? He can't get into movie theatres because they think he's trying to record the movie with a camera and he got kicked out of supermarkets for some reason.

Smilomaniac:
Strange how this guy is a "legit" cyborg compared the guy with a camera in his eyesocket.

Or even better, a woman who is missing her left arm and has had her nerveendings grafted to her breast muscles.
The nerve endings still respond to her thinking that she's moving a finger, turning her wrist or lifting her arm as well as bending it.
This has allowed a team to create a shield that covers her breast and a computer mounted on her shoulder interprets it and moves the arm that's strapped to her.

This means that there is a woman who is controlling a cybernetic arm, with her thoughts.
http://www.ted.com/talks/todd_kuiken_a_prosthetic_arm_that_feels.html

The same team has through the same method, made a sensor that allows a person to feel through another prosthesis. They can feel if it's rough or silken or any other texture.

Compared to a sensor that translates colors into sounds, it seems a bit more useful and quite frankly, epic.
Then again, I don't know how it is, not to see color. But I could relate to losing an arm..!

She seems more like a cyborg than that guy, since her arm actually interfaces with her brain in both directions, while the Eyeborg seems to only be sending information to the guy's brain and not the other way around. I don't exactly get why he's the first to get recognized as a cyborg and what that recognition means.

Using technology to make up for handicaps? Sure!

Using technology to replace working bodyparts? Not so much...

OniaPL:
Rather than developing this kind of technology, wouldn't it be more effective to dump that cash in something like gene therapy and gene research? Being able to use a vector to put a properly working, dominative allele in the place of one of the recessive alleles that cause achromatopsia (or being able to find the recessive gene and deal with it during the embryo/fetus phase) would be far better than just sticking a machine into someone's head and make them "hear" sounds.

That'd be a future where I'd like to live.

Its seems you don't quite understanding how Science, or funding, works.

1. You don't just throw money at science and miracles happen.

2. Science uses itself to improve itself - the research that went into this may very well help research in other areas relating to the same problems.

You're probably the kind of person that says things like "Why haven't they cured the common cold yet?" with a straight face.

romanator0:

If you watch the video, you'll hear that he gets barred from cinemas because they think he's filming, or kicked out of supermarkets because they think he's doing something illegal.

immovablemover:

Its seems you don't quite understanding how Science, or funding, works.

1. You don't just throw money at science and miracles happen.

2. Science uses itself to improve itself - the research that went into this may very well help research in other areas relating to the same problems.

You're probably the kind of person that says things like "Why haven't they cured the common cold yet?" with a straight face.

You mean Civilization V isn't an accurate portrayal of how science works? WTH, I feel lied to :<

"Prince Charles, despite what you might think, actually sounds pretty good." That made my day! =D

It's all fun and games until someone develops Cyber Brain Sclerosis.

Bah, Cyborg. Cyborg my ass. In my day the word Cyborg meant something, now this guy is just throwing it around. There is only one true Cyborg!

Doom972:

She seems more like a cyborg than that guy, since her arm actually interfaces with her brain in both directions, while the Eyeborg seems to only be sending information to the guy's brain and not the other way around. I don't exactly get why he's the first to get recognized as a cyborg and what that recognition means.

I know, right?

It seems like they're branding themselves and making a fuss about it, unlike the team that was on TED, which is actually working to better human lives and not focusing on PR as much.

romanator0:

He said in the video he's not allowed into cinemas and he gets kicked out of some shops. It's sort of understandable, what with that thing of his beeping away, but still.

Smilomaniac:

Doom972:

I know, right?

It seems like they're branding themselves and making a fuss about it, unlike the team that was on TED, which is actually working to better human lives and not focusing on PR as much.

I understand his point about cyborg rights. While the woman with the cyborg arm is seen by others as just having an advanced prosthetic arm, people confuse that guy's device with a camera, which is harming his daily life. While not many people with this problem exist, which makes it a relatively minor problem now, it'll likely become a problem in the future.

Oh dear, not long before we're calling "cyborg" a discriminatory term...
More like, "partially mechanised individual"!
And my spell check doesn't even recognise "cyborg". COME ON!!
Capthca: "we are the future". Ominous...

Doom972:

I understand his point about cyborg rights. While the woman with the cyborg arm is seen by others as just having an advanced prosthetic arm, people confuse that guy's device with a camera, which is harming his daily life. While not many people with this problem exist, which makes it a relatively minor problem now, it'll likely become a problem in the future.

I didn't mention human/cyborg rights at all though, I meant it as a possible explanation of why he's beeing seen as the "first" proper cyborg.

I have no doubt in my mind that should human cybernetic enhancement be common one day, that we will see everything from common bigotry to demonstrations against it. Possibly riots, depending on how far the development goes in a short time.
The way I see it, there should be made a template for future reference on enhancements, on who should be eligible and in what fields. If we're forced to enhance ourselves just to be eligible to get a job for example, it would be an indication that our priorities might be wrong.

As for this guy, I'm sure it's a matter of design. Had he been wearing a necklace instead, he wouldn't get as much attention. Besides, people aren't used to it, since it's a unique project it's no wonder that people mistake it for a camera. It's likely not as much bigotry as disbelief.

He seems like an eccentric guy; I wouldn't be surprised if he invited some arguments for the sake of feeling prosecuted.
I can't walk down the street without getting mistaken for a biker gang-member. It's a hassle, it brings on a lot of misunderstandings, but I wouldn't say it goes as far as harming my life. It's a choice of appearence, he should judge whether or not it's appropriate instead of flaunting it as a right, at least at the present state of things.
I don't go flaunting my biker appearence in immigrant quarters either, just because I should be able to.

The only reason I mention this, is because this forum tends to be a bit too concerned with righteous justice, rather than real life application and reality.

I really don't think he counts as the first cyborg.

Cyrromatic:
He did not ask for this.

That, is gold! Hahahaha

Anywho, I'm just wondering what rights he advocating for ? Who is keeping the cyborgs down, better question who knows that their are cyborgs around. I don't see the point organization, but he is super damn cool. I want bionic body parts toooooo !

Defend Cyborg rights? Is there any possibility of anyone in the world wanting to make potential cyborgs into second class citizens?

Besides the American Right Wing, obviously.

Awesome. I want some more senses. Magnetoception could mean I'd never get lost again. Seeing in thermal would be kinda boss, if I could turn it off. Hmm... what else?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here