Designer Leaves Board Game in Desert for Future Players

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Well, there are certainly worse places to hide a game. Desert doesn't seem too bad compared to a few other spots I can think of. Quick, someone check his travel records!

Given most people have nothing better to do, I figure it would only take a few years to comb that desert.

I don't get what's so special. I've been doing this with bodies for years.

I don't know if games are art, but this guy is an artist.

The game probably isn't any fun to play, but then art i rarely fun.

The only question is whether A Game for Someone, now a GDC award-winner, can live up to over 2000 years of hype.

There's the question as to whether anyone will care by the end of the month, too.

Zachary Amaranth:

The only question is whether A Game for Someone, now a GDC award-winner, can live up to over 2000 years of hype.

There's the question as to whether anyone will care by the end of the month, too.

^This^

As an avid board gamer I'm guessing this game isn't any good.

Sixcess:
...and inside the game will there be additional instructions on where the DLC is buried?

I agree i will give it two months before it is on the internet.

I think a number of people are misinterpreting the point of this. It's not supposed to be remembered or searched for for 2000 years, and certainly not to be hyped to point of myth or legend. It's supposed to be completely forgotten and stumbled across by a random person future who hopefully decides to try it out but is also fairly likely to sell it to a museum or something. Not that that's a problem either. I also noticed that the rules were described as "diagrams" rather than text, so I'd imagine he did what he could to resolve potential language issues. Although that's hardly a perfect science.

The biggest danger to this project is of course the internet hunting it down within the week, but past that people will stop caring, and that's exactly what it needs to succeed. The more people care about it, the worse he did his job.

It'll still be out before Half-Life 3.

sid:
Oh man, can't wait for the release date.

I know, man! I'm totally pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-ordering it! I'm even getting a DLC Season Pass!

Seriously though, I wouldn't be surprised if THIS were the game. Tell people that there's a board game hidden in the desert only to be opened in 2000 years, when it's actually just a note signed by him saying, "There is no game, but good job finding where I would have hidden it!". All that, just to see how far some people will go for the truth.

That, or he's actually just hiding it in his basement.

$5 says he just buried a copy of Desert Bus.

gmaverick019:

The Hungry Samurai:
Bet it'll be found by the end of the week.

oh i'm sure it could, just give the right person a "challenge accepted" moment and they'll get that shit. hell if they had access to satellite footage i'm sure they could find him in the desert when he planted the damn thing, if he didn't plant it by normal roads/populated areas, it shouldn't be hard to find his blip on a video, he didn't just magically teleport there and back.

plus, 2700 years? you know how organized and efficient nerds can be? this shit will be found in less than 10 years, i reckon.

The problem with that plan is that satellites that happen to be looking earthward with the level of resolution necessary to see such things are generally relegated to military use and their imagery is highly classified. So, if someone with the right clearance and access gets bored, maybe.

Eclectic Dreck:

gmaverick019:

The Hungry Samurai:
Bet it'll be found by the end of the week.

oh i'm sure it could, just give the right person a "challenge accepted" moment and they'll get that shit. hell if they had access to satellite footage i'm sure they could find him in the desert when he planted the damn thing, if he didn't plant it by normal roads/populated areas, it shouldn't be hard to find his blip on a video, he didn't just magically teleport there and back.

plus, 2700 years? you know how organized and efficient nerds can be? this shit will be found in less than 10 years, i reckon.

The problem with that plan is that satellites that happen to be looking earthward with the level of resolution necessary to see such things are generally relegated to military use and their imagery is highly classified. So, if someone with the right clearance and access gets bored, maybe.

just saiyan, it's happened before

my sources are always accurate.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook