Simcity Urges Players to "Dump the Pump" With Nissan DLC

Pages PREV 1 2

I'd like to try it to give my 2 cents if my cities would stop being rolled back because processing is too hard for their super duper servers.

I'm reminded of Diesel jeans from one of the Burnout games.

Product placement in vidja games always makes me feel odd when I see them.

beniki:

There is still the 'Happiness' generated by the building. I'm not sure of the happiness value of what amounts to a power station being built next to my house. With a big amount of traffic too. Probably nit-picking, but it does raise an interesting question:

Is this DLC subject to the advertising standards authority?

I haven't a clue. I like to point out [to just anyone in general who might think I'm too relaxed about the Simcity uproar] that I got this game for 10 bucks (EA sells their games for 10 bucks at their HQ which is just up the road from me. You just need to know anyone who works there that hasn't used up their purchases for the month). So I'm not like...heavily emotionally invested?

With that out of the way I think it is more that they want things that are paid advertisements to always have fully positive impacts. Personally I'd LOVE an exxon pipeline DLC that sometimes bursts and floods neighborhoods with toxic oil :p.

Educationally it would be great. "Oh this can happen."

I am all for free advertisement DLC in "human" games. Because the real world is so whored out that it feels "fake" without it. That's probably not a good way to look at it but that's why I've always been happy to download free advertising nonsense.

Akexi:
I'd like to try it to give my 2 cents if my cities would stop being rolled back because processing is too hard for their super duper servers.

Yeah? I lost mine entirely and had to do the tutorial again. I will admit that kinda bummed me out.

Not necessarily because I lost the cities but because forced tutorials are failed game design 101... And the tutorial is dreadfully patronizing to boot.

Very strange design decisions all around.

theultimateend:

beniki:

There is still the 'Happiness' generated by the building. I'm not sure of the happiness value of what amounts to a power station being built next to my house. With a big amount of traffic too. Probably nit-picking, but it does raise an interesting question:

Is this DLC subject to the advertising standards authority?

With that out of the way I think it is more that they want things that are paid advertisements to always have fully positive impacts. Personally I'd LOVE an exxon pipeline DLC that sometimes bursts and floods neighborhoods with toxic oil :p.

Educationally it would be great. "Oh this can happen."

I am all for free advertisement DLC in "human" games. Because the real world is so whored out that it feels "fake" without it. That's probably not a good way to look at it but that's why I've always been happy to download free advertising nonsense.

Setting aside the sheer amount of real life advertising, these adverts are still subject to certain standards. False advertising is something you can be fined for. Saying electric cars have no draw backs and will, in fact, make you happy, is kind of pushing it. It even goes into the realm of silly advertising; of the same kind which says "Drink this beer, women will sleep with you.", parodied by pretty much every comedy sitcom ever.

That might be okay with a Simlian created company, made up by the developers. But if you put a real world logo on there, then it actually has a real world meaning.

I'm all for developers putting their opinions on things in games... that basically defines an art form. I wouldn't mind a fictional electric car company being nothing but good. This is different though. Since there are no drawbacks to the new item, it would be stupid not to use it. You'll even use the mechanics to your advantage... just imagine how effective it would be to have one of these in all of your city blocks. Quite literally, your city would not be complete without Nissan. You need Nissan. It's stupid to not use Nissan.

That's actually pretty frightening advertising power. Which is why I wonder if it's regulated. Quite shocking really. After all this time the gaming community has put into protecting the content of video games, EA comes along and abuses the power of game mechanics, prompting a need for regulation.

Huh. Maybe this is a bigger issue than I thought.

That's some serious product placement. Our Nissan electric cars are SO economical they don't even drain power from the local power grid.

Magic.
Nissan.
Cars.

(Buy one now.)

beniki:
HUGE WALL OF TEXTUAL DEATH!

No arguments there. I agree with your points. Misleading advertising is bad but I think more often than not with these sort of projects it is a matter of Hanlon's razor.

I'm speaking from prejudice on this one. My job involves game devs and 98% of the time when players think they are being malicious monsters they are actually just being bumbling fools.

Maybe not true with all companies I might just be in a weird branch of the gaming world.

i think some poor accountant forgot to type in the price when pressing submit. I mean sure, its advertisement, but its EA folks, they will charge you even for that, and you will still buy it like mindless sheeps. after all, thats what they been doing for the past 10 years.

There is still the 'Happiness' generated by the building. I'm not sure of the happiness value of what amounts to a power station being built next to my house. With a big amount of traffic too.

woudl you be more happy having a gas or electric station nearby? id pick electric. in fact having at least one electric station in my city would make me happier.

Wow, some people are getting very angry over this!

Sure, its a bit of meh promotion but ultimately its a bit of free DLC that you aren't compelled to implement. Would be different if it was released as part of a patch and it made it mandatory to place it.

Abomination:
That's some serious product placement. Our Nissan electric cars are SO economical they don't even drain power from the local power grid.

Magic.
Nissan.
Cars.

(Buy one now.)

I like how the whole point of forcing savegames onto company servers was so people don't cheat and upset the scoreboard, oh by the way, our free DLC buildings have no drawbacks and a bajillion benefits meaning they are essentially deliberately broken buildings to add to your cities, never mind the myriad of unintentional coding bugs that allow you to glitch your way to maximum population, maximum happiness land without half the supposedly required buildings:

I wonder what state the actual top cities in the scoreboards are like, it would be interesting for someone to investigate that to see whether the whole thing has been an imbalanced crapshoot regardless of serverside savegames rendering the whole DRM utterly meaningless anyway?

Amazing. Just when I thought you couldn't sink any lower SimCity...that's impressive.
It honestly shouldn't surprise me, but it did.

Maxis should be issuing blowjobs while fixing that fucking travesty, but instead opts to throw out some shitty product placement.

"Now you can watch shitty electric cars conga-line in circles! AREN'T YOU EXCITED?!??"

I'm not even angry. Just dumbstruck in awe that they would pull this shit out now.

Geo Da Sponge:
Yeah, seriously? After everything else they've done, they're adding advertisements as DLC? It may be free, but given the online nature of the game that they've forced on the players I'm guessing it's also mandatory. And come on! It's blatantly overpowered because they wouldn't dare to suggest that the product they're advertising is in anyway bad.

james.sponge:
What's next? McDonald's DLC? Maxis is failing so much as a game developer, and please don't blame it all on EA, Ocean Quigley and his team are equally guilty of supporting and developing broken designs that basically destroyed what could be an excellent game.

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE SPONGE!

It's actually not mandatory. You have to actually go to the origin store to activate it to your account. Personally, I think they should just have had it as a patch anyway, as anyone can get it. By keeping it listed as DLC for free, it just makes people think 'wow, that's good of them making it free'.

frobalt:

Geo Da Sponge:
Yeah, seriously? After everything else they've done, they're adding advertisements as DLC? It may be free, but given the online nature of the game that they've forced on the players I'm guessing it's also mandatory. And come on! It's blatantly overpowered because they wouldn't dare to suggest that the product they're advertising is in anyway bad.

james.sponge:
What's next? McDonald's DLC? Maxis is failing so much as a game developer, and please don't blame it all on EA, Ocean Quigley and his team are equally guilty of supporting and developing broken designs that basically destroyed what could be an excellent game.

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE SPONGE!

It's actually not mandatory. You have to actually go to the origin store to activate it to your account. Personally, I think they should just have had it as a patch anyway, as anyone can get it. By keeping it listed as DLC for free, it just makes people think 'wow, that's good of them making it free'.

Ahh, okay. I stand corrected. I just assumed that since they keep driving for you to interact with other player's cities and so on, you'd have to have it downloaded so that you could see when other people had it.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here