Print Your Own BioShock Infinite Cover

Pages PREV 1 2

Looking at people's most of the replies to this utterly pointless gimmick doesn't surprise me why the consumer gets ripped-off on a regular basis.

It's a cover ffs, do you just stand there fingering yourself over it? Most reasonable people buy a game to bloody play the game not look at some cover.

thats actually really nice of them. she is actually the real hero of them game. she must on front. still thinking which one i choose. maybe i just get some of them and change them when i feel like it.
even when i play it on pc, i still got my self the retail version. damn game was on 3 dvds. downloading it from steam would have taken days with my crappy connection.

Neat! This really is the best of two worlds. The marketing department gets to sleep easy at night knowing the ever-so fragile fratboy demographic won't be turned off from their product and everyone who isn't pleased with the cover gets an alternative. It's a fun idea, and I've been replacing covers I don't like with my own for ages, for the hell of it.

And yes, I know it's uncool to even care about how the box looks, but honestly. Some aestetic sense never hurt anyone, considering we don't all suit up in grey stain-resistant jump suits every morning.

Exactly how does people caring even affect anything for people that don't, anyway?

tehweave:
Cool! What kind of covers can I get for steam?

Oh. I can't can I?

Sigh.

Good news, Steam lets you change the icons for the grid and list views! Here's a site filled with pretty much any game you need.
http://steambanners.booru.org/index.php

OT: I don't like how a lot of alternative covers don't have the top-bar. I don't mind a colourful side, but if the whole thing's colourful then it clashes with the rest of my games and looks bad. Wouldn't mind finding the top-bars on their own so I can photoshop them in, because a lot of these covers are damn sexy.

Krantos:
Sorry, shouldn't have brought it up unless I wanted to talk about it I guess.

First off, don't worry, this isn't some PC gaming BS. It's a business perspectives thing.

Ask yourself this: What is the purpose of Cover Art? Not for the consumer, for the publisher. Here's a hint, it's the same reason they put cartoon characters on cereal boxes.

Answer: To make it more appealing. It's Advertising. Marketing. The purpose of cover art is to make the game look appealing to someone who knows nothing about the game. It's for those people who walk into a game store knowing nothing about the games on the rack. It's trying to get their attention and convince them to pick up the box and look closer.

Now think about Core Gamers. Do we care about the cover art when it comes to what games we buy? No. We research the game, read articles, watch trailers, etc. We're knowledgeable about the game itself, so the cover art is not going to influence our decision. Most times our decision to buy is made before we set foot in the store.

So when a publisher designs the cover art, they don't ask "Does this adequately convey the theme of the game?" Instead they ask, "Will this increase the chance that someone will take interest in the game, when they know nothing about it?"

Which is kind of disheartening because it says a lot about the general American Consumer, because our cover art is terrible, as a general rule.

I think the opposite argument could be made as well. You're right, we don't buy games based on cover art, but rather because of reasons you already brought up, and that is exactly why I think this is just as great for "core gamers" as anyone else. While we don't buy games for the cover art, we still appreciate good cover art as much as the next guy. Being able to switch out that terrible US cover art for something else? I'm all for that (even if I'm not American, but you get the point).

In any case, no one loses out in this deal. There really is no negative argument to be made, regardless of what demographic you belong to.

mad825:
Looking at people's most of the replies to this utterly pointless gimmick doesn't surprise me why the consumer gets ripped-off on a regular basis.

It's a cover ffs, do you just stand there fingering yourself over it? Most reasonable people buy a game to bloody play the game not look at some cover.

Surely we must all be fools for appreciating nice box art for our games. Batman forbid we take any sort of pleasure out of replacing terrible box art with better alternatives, the mere mention of the idea is ludicrous!

I'm sure you'll find it in your loving and generous heart to forgive us.

ToastiestZombie:

tehweave:
Cool! What kind of covers can I get for steam?

Oh. I can't can I?

Sigh.

Good news, Steam lets you change the icons for the grid and list views! Here's a site filled with pretty much any game you need.
http://steambanners.booru.org/index.php

OT: I don't like how a lot of alternative covers don't have the top-bar. I don't mind a colourful side, but if the whole thing's colourful then it clashes with the rest of my games and looks bad. Wouldn't mind finding the top-bars on their own so I can photoshop them in, because a lot of these covers are damn sexy.

THANK YOU

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or