Activision Seeks Halt to World of Warcraft Subscriber Slide

Pages PREV 1 2

Since I keep dipping into the clutter that is WoW, the main reason why I leave is because of the tediousness of getting into Raids. I can barely get the gear for the lower raids, and since MoP you had to gain high enough rep to get into the dungeons, like back in Outland.

Since they focus on the endgame more, the 'main game' feels boring and repetitive. More diversion of quests who help WoW feel more fresh.

Chessrook44:

Mr.Mattress:
I think WoW's popularity is over. Once you killed the freakin' dragon of death, everything else kind of seems lame compared to it, especially when right afterwards they released Mists of Pandaria, which would have been better before Wrath of the Lich King.

Oh I dunno. If they figure out a way to have you kill God (Or the equivalent) I think they'd go a bit higher. Or the Grand Creator or something.

Then again, didn't Pokemon already let you capture their equivalent of God and the Devil?

I guess the closest they have is Sargeras and whatever is left of the Old Gods

the problem with fighting sargeras is that he "CANNOT BE KILL BECAUSE I AM DEFEAT EVERYTHING" :P

it came out in 2004, has not really changed at all in that time, they should be proud its last this long. But did they really think they could milk this train for ever ? Thats seems to be the problem with games these days, somone set the bar and no one wants to rock the boat and try somthing NEW !

synobal:
[quote="Bostur" post="7.407603.17008874"]I would rather see sustainable content that last longer, but it's clearly not what Bliz-Acti wants.

part of the reason WoW is so dead these days is the way the queue system works. You just sand in Orgrimmar or Stormwind and run dungeons. The only people out in the world are either collecting resources, running a quest or leveling up. There isn't a lot of reasons to venture outside the cities if you're running raids, or dungeons or anything like that.

Part of having an MMO that doesn't feel dead is having one that has players out in the world and by in large most people just stand in the city.

There's also the fact that WoW... has just become so boring, mechanic wise. In streamlining the game to the point where everything is handed to you one a silver platter there's no real sense of accomplishment anymore. It's the feeling of incremental accomplishment.

I mean seriously, Blizzard, why make a lovely well crafted world if you're encouraging players to blur through it and 300mph?

So. Recap; to stop the decline you need to:

1.) Make the World interesting - MMORPG's core draw was the idea of exploring and adventuring in a large world, either solo or with friends. You have a Large world WoW but you've focused so much on the Level 90 uber stuff that you've neglected the other stuff. Hence why Skyrim has probably snagged quite a few of your subscribers.

2.) Allow Players to experiment. Give them something to experiment with. - Nuff said. Give players a talent system that they can really play around with. BC had the best where you could mix and max across all 3 schools and create some rather interesting builds. Maybe not effective, but interesting.

3.) More Flexible Subscription - Times are tough and people have more choices. If you want them to choose you you need to adjust your pricing policies to appeal .

4.) Make the narrative matter. This is an RPG, in an RPG a player should feel like their progress is linked to the progress of the narrative. Having classes gain their key abilities from Quests again.

5.) Don't be stingy - One of the things that got me to quite WoW as actually MoP. I couldn't really justify plunking $60 on it. Yeah I know it was only like 40 something but it was 40 something plus the monthly subscription. You would have probably got me if that purchase included a 1-mmonth subscription.

More content will likely make things worse since it will invariably mean that you'll get a lot of new poorly crafted content. Again, world craft, don't instance craft. The truth is WoW is losing subscriptions because frankly it's the MMO equivalent of a Big Mac. It is so forgetable and repetitive that you can spend hours playing and barely recall anything significant .

synobal:

Bostur:
I would rather see sustainable content that last longer, but it's clearly not what Bliz-Acti wants.

The theoretical numbers still seems decent for WoW, but looking at actual in-game activity I've never seen WoW so dead before.

part of the reason WoW is so dead these days is the way the queue system works. You just sand in Orgrimmar or Stormwind and run dungeons. The only people out in the world are either collecting resources, running a quest or leveling up. There isn't a lot of reasons to venture outside the cities if you're running raids, or dungeons or anything like that.

Part of having an MMO that doesn't feel dead is having one that has players out in the world and by in large most people just stand in the city.

I barely even see anyone in Orgrimmar. But maybe thats just the European servers where I have characters.

I agree on the flaws with the queue system, it turns an MMO into a lobby based gamed. It would work better in a Diablo'esque ARPG.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here