Electronic Arts Kills the Online Pass

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Wow... they're actually learning?! I'm kinda proud of them.
Now just lose the DRM, the shutting down of every company you buy out, and the high expectation in profits, and that cash you want so bad will come flowing in!

And for the love of God, don't make something worse then the Online Pass, you're on a roll, don't ruin it

inb4 EA happens...

I think some of the people around here are right.

Why have Online Passes when the game is Always Online!?

There is probably a subscription service or account linkage going on.

idarkphoenixi:
There's no way they actually did this because of "customer feedback". The pass system is a big money maker for them.

[...]

I'd say our wallets not filling theirs is the best kind of customer feedback any company can get. It looks like the whole "If you don't like it, vote with your wallet" mantra finally worked.

Now let's make them drop the store for the Sims 4! I want expansion packs that are actually worth buying.

saintdane05:
Already, you exalt me for my triumphs,
When I ask only that you remember me for my treacheries

Victory is nothing more than survival.
It carries no weight of honour or worth beyond what we ascribe to it.
If you wish to grow wise, learn why brothers betray brothers.

Yes Grand Master. (From "The Emperor's Gift" I see... you have good taste brother.)

Thought for the Day: Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

OT: Yeah, I'm agreeing with others, this is just far too good to be true. Time will show us what these bastards have in store for us since they dropped this stuff now. Let's not give them a hero's welcome when they have so many more failings to make up for.

Introducing the new EA anti piracy/secondhand system!

When purchasing a physical retail copy of a game it will have timelock's allowing only 5 hours of single player and 10 hours of multiplayer before a full price renewal is necessary.

And that's as bad as I can imagine EA's replacement to be which means it'll probably be worse :(

Good. Step in the right direction, this.

That said, I'm watching you, EA. *Leer*

Keep walking the path and we shall walk with you. Keep walking, I'm not seeing enough to walk with you yet EA.

Just keep your PR department silent. They are not good at spinning your shit.

This speaks louder.

Hmm...
EA actually doing something nice?
Bobby has just opened his mouth again?
I think we might just be time to hate on Activision again
Unless there's some evil catch and EA will make things worse. I'm watching you, EA.

They still don't have anything I want. What is being big deal? They're still idiots.

erttheking:
.....WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH EA!?

I mean...Jesus Christ. They're listening! They're actually fucking listening!

I read it and was stunned with amazement, wonder and joy.

Five seconds later, brain functions returned to normal.

It's EA. I really, really want them to turn around and make ECA EA fun again. But I still find it exceedingly hard to trust them. I'll be watching them. But I'm still not over the general asshattery, and I'm still not over always-on Sim City.

They will have other ways of doing the same shit next generation. Whether every game is always online, or a pass-like system is in the console, I highly doubt EA has reversed its stance and methods, and remain doubtful until I see otherwise.

This is great and all but Origin already does this for them...
And if the Xbox incorporates something equally evil then this is next to pointless.
Just gonna wait for the PS4 to screw us over too.

Sorry to be negative about this and all, but only time will tell if this is a sham or not.

RWillers:

idarkphoenixi:
There's no way they actually did this because of "customer feedback". The pass system is a big money maker for them.

[...]

I'd say our wallets not filling theirs is the best kind of customer feedback any company can get. It looks like the whole "If you don't like it, vote with your wallet" mantra finally worked.

Now let's make them drop the store for the Sims 4! I want expansion packs that are actually worth buying.

Woah, careful now!

As much as I wish the wallet-voting of my humble self and others has already gained enough traction and weight to be statistically relevant, I suspect that the new head honcho of EA and his not too humble minions are simply aware of the bad press they're getting, and they seek to get out of the valley of hate, tears and angry internet folks.

I don't actually expect them to turn 180 degrees and be all cute and fuzzy and humble and cool now.

I still perceive the latest Sim City to be a field test for a multitude of inane and unacceptable shenanigans.

John Riccitiello might have been the entirety of the cold black heart that resides at the the core of EA. This is only one step however, perhaps if we praise them for this one step they will take another.

I still don't trust them but baby steps, baby steps.

What's the new bad? There's always a bad. For this, it just might be that EA has something else that makes the online pass seem minor, like unique game coding tied to motherboards(or systems) instead of CD-keys to limit installations and 1 for 1 online play.

Colbster94:
So uh, CAPCOM is the evil people now right? We internet people need someone to hate.

EA aren't good, but at least their moving in a positive direction. DRINK TO IT MY FRIENDS, because they'll probably bring out something worse or something very similar will takes its place soon, but TONIGHT WE DRINK!

optimistic: EA actually learns from their mistakes.
pessimistic: it's replaced by pay-per-update, and you can only play online with the most recent version, or something.

Colbster94:
So uh, CAPCOM is the evil people now right? We internet people need someone to hate.

So, how did this improve EA in particular? There's still more anti-consumer nonsense done by them.

I am quite please to see the back of season passes, bloody horrible things which were a punishment to every gamer who purchased the game second hand and an insult to those who didn't. It's a small step in the right direction - and if they got rid of the pre-order "bonuses" and put them in the game where they belong, they'll set another foot toward gaining my custom.

But having said this, and knowing EA's reputation - I can only dread what new money grabbing measures they put in lieu of season passes. But something tells me that we'll have our answer in 2014 when the new console generation is upon us. I can only hope it isn't as bad.

But for now, well played EA. :)

EA shows that they can learn! Granted, I still expect quite a bit of evil from them, but hopefully this is the beginning of a new era. An era of not actively fucking over consumers for extra profit.

Still, they've gotten me to at least hold them in a state of cautious optimism, however shaky that state may be, so good job, EA.

I'm surprised that they actually did something positive for a change. Now all they have to do is get rid of or fix Origin and make some games I actually want to play and they will start recieving my money again.

hah, i think i figured it out. next console generation won't allow used games anyway, so they ditch the pass right now for some good PR, since it won't be needed anymore a year or two from now anyway.

DVS BSTrD:
Call me cynical but just what are they going to put in it's place? install limits?

The EA patented Puppy-In-A-Blender Pass. Upload a video of you making a Schnauzer smoothie and you get your map packs, you evil person you.

I really doubt they will just drop any kind of anti-consumer practises so easily, this is the company who secretly dream of going in to peoples houses and leaving their fridge open overnight whenever they buy a preowned game. John Riccitello totally said that this one time, honest.

erttheking:
.....WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH EA!?

I mean...Jesus Christ. They're listening! They're actually fucking listening!

New (or rather OLD) CEO. We got the CEO now that was in charge at the time EA was actually a great company and i liked it. And lo and behold he is attempting to salvage this wreck once again.

Colbster94:

Capcom have always been worse than EA.

Zachary Amaranth:

Ed130:

Plus, as others have said EA could cure cancer and still be disliked by people.

The stench of being a greedy moronic douchebag doesn't fade that easily.

To be fair, EA would likely cure cancer, then lock it behind install payments so that insurance companies couldn't reduce their profit margins.

Isn't that what pharmaceutical companies have done already? /highbrowjoke

Atmos Duality:
Not really worth getting excited about considering:
-The current console cycle is coming to a close soon
-It's highly likely that the next gen consoles are poised to kill the used game market innately (which was what Project 10 dollar was for anyway)
-Doesn't apply to non-console markets anyway

You want me to sing your praises EA? How about you do something that's actually praiseworthy, instead of peddling an "upgrade" to a soon-to-be-outmoded system.

PS4 already promised to leave used games alone. If the Infinity wants to try and kill them, they'll lose much more than what they'd gain.

I will sing a slightly altered line from a great song

"we're changing we're changing we're changing alright I hope your satisfied!"

I wonder If Angry Joe is gonna do a response to this

I am impressed i cannot believe they actually decided to this. i am one of those gamers that is vehemently opposed to EA and have had them boycotted for almost 3 years so believe me when i say i am genuinely impressed, this is a step in the right direction, but not enough for me to lift my boycott... I have this annoying feeling that they are going to screw up some other way instead...

Well, there's still Origin and day-1 DLC to contend with, not to mention their dreadful PR department, but baby steps, people. Baby steps.

But seriously... dayum.. I didn't think they had it in 'em. Next you'll tell me they're gonna make all their new games playable offline on the PC (yeah, right.. who am I kidding).

Count me as one who doenst believe they are actually listening to their customers.

If Online pass made them money, they would still be using it.

Still, even if its for the wrong reasons, its the right move. Good job EA, you are one step on the path to redemption, do not stumble, do not look back, just keep taking those steps.

EA has come to save us from the fate it condemned us to in the first place.
Bravo.

I won't congratulate EA for going back on this, that's like telling someone "Good job" because they've stopped murdering hookers.
This was always purely anti-consumer. You included multiplayer because it's a selling point for your games. Charging consumers for costs associated with a multiplayer component was never anything but ridiculous.

I hope that the escapist knows that saying things like this when its not April 1st is jus... Wait? This is legit? Really? This isn't a joke? Huh, I did not see that coming.

Bloody hell, er, well done EA. Of course, a lot of people will still be pessimistic, but even big changes have to start small.

But if EA is no longer the bad guy, who is? Now that the vile demon has fled EA's halls, where and when shall it rear its corrupt head once more?

Nintendo Suddenly Claims Ownership Of Many YouTube Videos

Wow, that didn't take long.

Wow...
Just freaking Wow

I may actually finally lift my personal ban on buying their games now... THIS IS ALL I EVER WANTED!

I certainly hope people have considered the possibility that they've removed the online pass to replace it with something else, that may potentially be worse. This is EA we're talking about. Any good they do is usually for the ultimate intention of evil.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here