Xbox One Wants You To Input One

Pages PREV 1 2

I just had another thought. If the box is truly all-in-one it shouldn't matter which port its connected to because you'd never change the channel.

My first thought was "Is it a coin-op? Will it ask you to put extra credits in every 24 hour check-in, and even more when you want to play a pre-owned game?

Gearhead mk2:
I lack the Photoshop skill to do it, but personally. I'd edit it to "All in one. Oh crap, I only got a pair of ones." Keeping in with that poker metaphor Yhatzee was talking about.

"A pair of ones" is a pair of Aces, which is the strongest pair of hole cards you can have (in Texas Hold'em.) Not something one would say "oh crap" about. Just saying. ;)

I am worried that if I plug my Xbox One into my TV, my TV might catch like some nasty disease.

sturryz:
I am worried that if I plug my Xbox One into my TV, my TV might catch like some nasty disease.

id be more worried about it killing you in your sleep.. its alive and watching, sleep well

Input an XBone?

Dexter111:
There's already some good reinterpretations floating around:

I think it says alot that photo edits that good can come out so fast after the pics were released, it seriously doesn't bode well for the XBone if that's the instinctual response it's customers have....

UnnDunn:
For those who don't get it, traditionally, "Input 1" on your TV has been reserved for a cable box, with "Input 2" going to a DVD player and "Input 3" going to a games console. It's a metaphor for the relative importance of each device--cable box is most important, followed by DVD player, followed by games console.

Microsoft is trying to suggest that you'll want to put Xbox One on "Input 1", i.e. the Xbox One will become the most important device you connect to your TV.

Hmm I can see what you mean, although I'm not sure if that's a US or just other countries tradition, I've never heard of any tradition of which input people use (usually here people plug cable into the DVD/bluray player then it into the TV so you don't need to switch channels). It's also a metaphor for an outdated system that most of it's (assumed) target audience either don't know at all or were too young to probably remember/realise the link. The fact you needed to explain it shows that all too well.

Well, that's interesting. I haven't had a TV with an input 1 in years.

But of course, the marketing is not targeted at hardcore gamers. The target market is a more casual, mainstream audience-who *do* make up the majority of MS's consumer base. Also, it's targeted at an audience aged I'd say between 28 and 45; an audience more likely to want the TV, NFL and movie apps-and pay for them.

Jandau:
Input one? Really? After your console got nicknamed the Xbone? Was this slogan chosen by the same guy who came up with the idea to call a Nintendo console "Wii"? Is there some twisted person with a fetish for dick jokes who managed to position himself as a marketing/brand "expert" for a number of major companies in this industry?

If so, hats off to him.

Microsoft is going to input one xbone to you, good people...

Oh, definitely hats of to him; chances are it's this guy.

So, to recap: their slogan either is a reference only understood by people about 10 years senior of their target audience, or a dick joke.

Great job, right there.

UnnDunn:
For those who don't get it, traditionally, "Input 1" on your TV has been reserved for a cable box, with "Input 2" going to a DVD player and "Input 3" going to a games console. It's a metaphor for the relative importance of each device--cable box is most important, followed by DVD player, followed by games console.

Microsoft is trying to suggest that you'll want to put Xbox One on "Input 1", i.e. the Xbox One will become the most important device you connect to your TV.

Much like jokes, a slogan that requires this much explanation has most likely already failed at its purpose.

And much like nearly everything else related to the XBox One announcement, this one has all the hallmarks of something that is likely to come back around to bite Microsoft in the rump. Nope, nothing inherently mock/parody-able about that slogan!

must be hard being the guy tasked with spin doctoring this mountain of bs that ms has stacked up...

How about "All in One, Input None"?

Dexter111:
There's already some good reinterpretations floating around:

Input One. Sony: Two. XD

They're trying to bite off something much bigger than they can chew here. It's clear that this thing is designed for something that has become much less common in recent years: the big living room. The truth is that most xboxes (both the first and second gen) were bought by people who DON'T have such a room: most of us actually live in small apartments and dorm rooms, because we can't afford a big house and shit. Then of course there's the new technology that Microsoft seems to have myopically ignored: the smaller, personal screen, which is now the real center of attention, with the big screen reserved for a select few things, like movies and Triple-A games. This new slogan is proof positive that the Xbone is trying to innovate by going backwards, like trying to make the coolest watch possible while everyone is busy using their smart phones and shit.

So wait we're supposed to "Input" our "Xbone" into the... No no too easy.

I'd also like to mention that I had no idea what the slogan meant until someone explained it.

This all reminds me of this:

I just don't know... It all seems so strange.

They are kidding us with the all in one thing too right, i mean you ill still need a tv decoder, so that a box more already, then the kinnect is needed to work but is not part of the console so it's another box, then if you need more space you will need an external hard drive, so another box.... all in one become a lot more than, one

Well, I think I know what truly symbolizes the Xbone now:

Admit it. Some of you were thinking it once we heard from SONY.

More like Imput none as in noone is going to plug that thing in.

canadamus_prime:
How about "All in One, Input None"?

damn ninjad.

well i can always run with Xbox one, sony won.

They... really have no idea what they're doing do they? It's time for some managers in the xbox department to seek life elsewhere; this is not their talent.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here