Microsoft Exec: Offline Gamers Should Stick With Xbox 360

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Or just buy a PS4? It's not region locked, it plays used games, it allows offline play, it's way cheaper and it isn't being sold by a company with idiotic Executives.

Mattrick, Microsoft's President of Interactive Entertainment Business

If you take the first letter of each word in his title it almost spells 'PLEB'. Just saying.

Mr.K.:
Wow Microsoft is straight up starting flamewars against their userbase, only surprising thing right now is they aren't running a new slogan "Xbone, buy it or you're a fag!".

Well, as a fag who lives in a submarine, I guess it's not a console for me.

Which is a shame because there were so many good qualities about it, like...
Kinect? And it looks kind of nice, I guess?

Legion:
While I agree with the vast majority of complaints people have, I do find it kind of irksome knowing that despite all of this outrage, a significant proportion of the complainers will still buy one, including the content creators for a lot of gaming sites who are also saying it's a load of crap.

I'm not going to blame people who buy this stuff because it's their job to be informed about them.

ok MS this is what you need to do, if you still want that stupid drm contact every satellite company like ever and ask them how to do the whole authorization thing over a phone line. There half your problems are solved, and the other half is an easy fix in just letting people share their dam games.

The majority of offline gamers have, and always will stick with pc.

All we need is a good alternative to Windows that has full on gaming support and business software applications compatible with MS Office. The entirety of Microsoft would basically sink into obscurity at the rate they are handling things with both Windows and their "media" console.

Now I see why Adam Orth was fired. Not because he caused bad PR for Microsoft, but because he spoiled the surprise.

Before it was like watching someone dig a hole to bury themselves in, now it's starting to look like they're opting to just choke themselves with a few spadeful's of dirt to get it done with.

...Does anyone else get the feeling that they're trying to "Springtime for Hitler" themselves? Because honestly, that's about the only explanation that makes sense.

J Tyran:

Why not? M$ are probably past the point where they profit on the hardware now, the Xbone will cost them money for every sale. M$ will still get Xbox Live fees and licencing fees for every game sold, the 360 will remain profitable for a while yet so why not encourage people to buy one?

Really? You're going to do the "M$" thing?

"Why not?" Is easily answered. "Because they're trying to successfully garner support for a new generation of hardware."

Seriously, "screw you, look somewhere else" is a bad business model.

Wow. And there I thought the bastard couldn't get any more arrogant. Just wow.

Gabe Yaden:
No absolutely not, at least in this case. This attitude to other gamers is offensive and disgusting. They enjoy their games I enjoy mine there is absolutely no reason for this other then I don't like it and it involves my hobby. Dudebros ruining my gaming is the same attitude as female gamers ruin my hobby, people enjoying their facebook games ruin my triple A games, and ultimately devolves into, group X is there for lesser to me arbitrarily therefore I shall assert my superiority.

You're right. People enjoying other types of games than me isn't a problem. But publishers sewing those game styles together in an attempt to wring money out of those people is.

Captcha: pester power

Screw you captcha

Gabe Yaden:

DugMachine:
The sad thing is the console will still sell relatively well when ignorant dudebros are going to dish out $500 so they can play the next COD and BF4.

Like it or not those so-called dude bros are bringing in piles of money to support your hobby, so perhaps acting like a jackass to them isn't the best course of action.

acting like a jackass to the people that are saying "go ahead, obviously gamers like your anti-consumer bullshit of a cable box" is the second best thing to do.

these assholes are the ones that will make Microsofts developing strategy with their purchases.

Of course, maybe, just maybe one popped collar jackass out there will realize that both CoD and BF4 are also on the PC and PS4.

unless they are too busy getting diabetes from drinking 70 gallons of Mountain Dew and metric fuck tons of Doritos in hopes of wining a new TV Box that does exactly what nearly all new TV's do, that lets you watch TV/Satellite [yet you need to hook up that receiver to your Xbox in the first place]. If thats the case then I hope they enjoy the Type 2 Diabetes and shit console.

OT: Fuck me Microsoft? You basically said if I dont want your shitty convoluted waste of money, then I should stick to the 360?

So you dont want people buying your new console? Is it that shitty of a machine that you dont want people to buy it?

Tell you what, I'll take that $500 that it would cost me to get a XBox One, and buy a PS4 instead, WITH a game or two. How's that for you? Besides, its a next gen console that doesn't require you to log on every day to make sure you dont have anything loaned to a friend.

fuck off Microsoft, good thing I should be able to trade in my 360 when the PS4 Launches.

RicoADF:

Oi, we actually do have good high speed connection (here in Australia), atleast some of us..... The NBN will help abit too, but regardless the XBone isn't even for those with perfect connection since once its servers are off so is your system :-/

Yes, well, given that I know a lot of people in Australia, I'd have to question that idea somewhat...

A while back I recall being on skype with someone in Brisbane who was kind of bragging about his 4 megabit connection as if it was some kind of big deal...

Meanwhile, here in England (which has a reputation for something like the worst internet provision in Europe or something... XD), I had a 10 megabit connection which basically amounted to the cheapest possible internet access I could get...
(Meanwhile, that same connection, at basically the same price, has since been upgraded to 20 megabits...)

And my experiences with everyone else I've been in contact with in Australia seem to back that up. (As does the comparatively low video quality of dedicated Australian sites.)

For that matter, the constant mention of monthly download limits... Sound unfortunate.
I'm so used to 'unlimited' internet these days (it's in quotes because they might slow down the connection if you use a lot of data during peak hours), but it still makes me wonder what the state of internet access is like in Australia...

And that's not even considering what happens if you're not in a major city...

(Just one of those things to worry about, given I may end up moving back to Australia sooner or later...)

how much stupid-assery can there be in one single person?

captcha: knock off
great!

BloodRed Pixel:
how much stupid-assery can there be in one single person?

captcha: knock off
great!

That's the problem with Microsoft at the moment. They got a "monopoly" on consumer/small business computing with their OS and software and the CEO in charge of this is now also in charge of the Xbox Division. Their modus operandi has always been "let the buyer complain all they want, not like they got an alternative" for a long, long time. The console market really isn't like that.

To top things off, Sony just carved them up on stage and Microsoft is basically completely unaware/doesn't even care. They really think they will still sell their console.

The Plunk:
Now I see why Adam Orth was fired. Not because he caused bad PR for Microsoft, but because he spoiled the surprise.

If we were in a bar i would have bought you a drink for that!

Microsoft..... jesus.... buy some gaffa tape. Please.

What a plonker. Seriously, that's about as rude a dismissal of valid consumer concerns I've ever heard, and from a high ranking executive at that! Kotick at his worst wasn't quite this rude to the very people he wanted to sell to. I have 24/7 access to the internet, I just don't want to be told I HAVE to connect to use a damned console. I have a PC for my online stuff, I don't need to be told how I must use a piece of hardware I purchased outright. It's not even a license, the hardware is owned outright.

I just wonder, does this mean they won't repeat what they did when the 360 was produced, and discontinue production of the older machine? I'm still pissed off that I can't replace my Xbox to play some of my old games I loved, unlike Sony who kept the older consoles in production for years after the next gen was made.

CrystalShadow:

RicoADF:

Oi, we actually do have good high speed connection (here in Australia), atleast some of us..... The NBN will help abit too, but regardless the XBone isn't even for those with perfect connection since once its servers are off so is your system :-/

Yes, well, given that I know a lot of people in Australia, I'd have to question that idea somewhat...

A while back I recall being on skype with someone in Brisbane who was kind of bragging about his 4 megabit connection as if it was some kind of big deal...

Meanwhile, here in England (which has a reputation for something like the worst internet provision in Europe or something... XD), I had a 10 megabit connection which basically amounted to the cheapest possible internet access I could get...
(Meanwhile, that same connection, at basically the same price, has since been upgraded to 20 megabits...)

And my experiences with everyone else I've been in contact with in Australia seem to back that up. (As does the comparatively low video quality of dedicated Australian sites.)

For that matter, the constant mention of monthly download limits... Sound unfortunate.
I'm so used to 'unlimited' internet these days (it's in quotes because they might slow down the connection if you use a lot of data during peak hours), but it still makes me wonder what the state of internet access is like in Australia...

And that's not even considering what happens if you're not in a major city...

(Just one of those things to worry about, given I may end up moving back to Australia sooner or later...)

I have 100mb/s internet, before this I had 80mb/s, then before that 30 etc etc, haven't had anything near 4mb/s for the last 5 years or so, then again i do live in Sydney which while not the capital, is the financial and business capital of the country.
I also have 500GB limit which I never even get near, it's basically unlimited to me :-P

"Offline Gamers Should Stick With Xbox 360"

Or PS4.

I wasn't going to bother with this console generation, but I'm considering getting a PS4 purely out of spite.

Gabe Yaden:

DugMachine:
The sad thing is the console will still sell relatively well when ignorant dudebros are going to dish out $500 so they can play the next COD and BF4.

Like it or not those so-called dude bros are bringing in piles of money to support your hobby, so perhaps acting like a jackass to them isn't the best course of action.

Of course it's the best course of action, not telling an idiot that he is an idiot because he has money is wrong. Do you know why it is wrong? Because idiots spend money on idiotic pastimes. It matters not if they bring money to the industry if they are forcing it to consistently lower the bar for gameplay, story and innovation. Games that are made for them are not the games I will buy, so I have no inclination not to tell someone of his idiocy just because he has money. This used car salesman mentallity is what's wrong with so many publishers nowadays and what killed many decent franchises. And you are one of the propagators of this intellectual holocaust.

If money would be everything, than fast and furious 6 would be an absolute masterpiece of cinematography, and skrillex would destroy classical music, jazz or hard rock.

Compatriot Block:
How has the PR department not told this guy to be quiet? He's gonna get himself fired.

Because I think this is the PR department's stance, haha.

Microsoft - taking Activision and EA's place as worst company in America since May 2013.

Jesus, Don! You really want to commit career suicide, don't ya?!

OK, douche-bag! You wanna be fired from something? How about this...

God, Microsoft might as well hose down the entire company with kerosine and light a road flare. Make sure you have Don and the rest of the business casual dip-shits stay indoors to see if the fire consumes everything.

Someone call Bill Gates and tell him to come back and save his company before it drives off the cliff completely.

(cue music): There he is......Biggest Douche in the Universe

Dexter111:
I think I've even seen that bit but I somehow must have missed that part... wow:

He's basically telling people not to get their product. xD

And people who don't have always working Internet are apparently either on a Nuclear Submarine (They're not supporting the troops! Isn't that like bad in the US? :P) or imagining it.

Phht... To my knowledge, neither Nintendo, Microsoft, nor Sony could give two shits about the troops in the current generation. Try registering your console's online account to an APO address. Can't do it(well at least this was at one point true for all three. don't know for sure now since I only own a PS3). Why should they change things in the next?

Scars Unseen:
Phht... To my knowledge, neither Nintendo, Microsoft, nor Sony could give two shits about the troops in the current generation. Try registering your console's online account to an APO address. Can't do it(well at least this was at one point true for all three. don't know for sure now since I only own a PS3). Why should they change things in the next?

They can still play offline with current gen consoles as well as the Wii U and PS4 though.

So, this is how the Xbox perishes: with thunderous applause and a standing ovation.

Good riddance.

I'm calling it now. By E3 next year or during E3 they will announce they are binning the stupid drm.

Little Duck:
I'm calling it now. By E3 next year or during E3 they will announce they are binning the stupid drm.

Nah, considering the opinion of a good portion of their shareholder, they most likely the sell the division then revise the product. Quite a few investor of MS were already pushing for them to sell the division, even when xbox 360 was at it height, has the xbox require too much investment for the profit it bring in, thus reducing the general value of MS.

And with a failing xbox division you can be sure many more will now start join that side and will basically leave Bill Gates having to decide if it listen to those shareholder, go hand off on the subject or hold fort against them like he already does for Ballmer.

DugMachine:

Please the dudebros don't play Battlefield they just want a COD/Madden/FIFA box.

OT: Oh yeah buddy? Well fuck you too!

Wow...if that isn't a slap to the balls of people with limited internet, I don't know what is.

Honestly, saying that the way he did is like being a jerk...how can this guy not be in trouble after saying that? He just insulted people who have no or limited internet connection. Shame on you MS, shame shame shame

A few years back Microsuck fired their Dutch PR team of many, many years of excellent service. They now do it "in house", which is litteraly about 10% as useful for us journalists...

I guess the same major PR budget slashes where made in the USA, since they let idiots like this one say such things on the record!

CAPTCHA: Winter Snow. Whoah, Game of Thrones! Oh wait, it's also great with this topic.
Sony can sit in the sun while MS digs itself a deep grave in the snow, left alone by all except the most insane fanboys?

ALSO: How is this selling the XBONER?!!! If you want current gen without Internet requirement you get a PS4 or Wii U. Who is going to get a 360, except for backwards compatibility?

Sansha:
"Offline Gamers Should Stick With Xbox 360"

Or PS4.

I wasn't going to bother with this console generation, but I'm considering getting a PS4 purely out of spite.

Buy one, take a photo hugging it while using an xbox as a coaster for a frothing pint of ale, then post it to microsoft. Thats what I'm doing. Already converted my dead 360 into coasters.

rofltehcat:
I think this was meant to come across as "If you don't have access to internet, we also have another great product, the xbox 360!" instead of how it is perceived by most. From what I've seen, they'll support the 360 a bit longer... could be a bit like the PS2 that got (some?) new games although the PS3 was out for some time already.
I don't care much either way but I enjoy them company peoples mess up.

Like they supported the XBOX "a bit longer" after the 360 was released? Or like they supported zune users "a bit longer" after their zune store closed up shop?

It seems that clip keeps getting taken down by ms and viacom. Had a few links with it saying this content was taken down by viacom.

this is just getting painful to watch.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or