Microsoft Drops Xbox One DRM Restrictions - UPDATED

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

I'm still very weary about this. I mean Microsoft was ignoring most of the bitching until now... I'll just have to wait and see.

If it was so easy to turn these "features" off, then how easy do you reckon it will be to turn them back on at their pleasure? Nuh-uh, no sell, Microsoft.

You told us these features were necessary and that we needed them, but since you're so willing to remove them, they're obviously not so important and you just lied to us. And how the heck do you even expect to justify being $100 more expensive than the PS4 when you've removed almost all of your "features" and have worse specs than the PS4?

Obviously M$ doesn't care about gamers as much as Sony or Nintendo do, which is probably why the Xbox was a complete failure and the 360 barely managed to sell until later this gen.

What's that, you say?

Corporations lie to get you to buy their things, and this might just be another line of duplicitous coding in an already bullshit script of 'fuck the consumer, pillage the market for every cent its worth, and burn down all the Gamestops and rental joints'? Well golly! I'd have never guessed.

Meanwhile, the damage is already done here.

I've always preferred the Xbox over the Playstation. Not because the Playstation generations didn't have games I wanted, but because I liked the feel of the system. I liked the Xbox. I liked the Xbox 360. I was prepared to put my money down and buy an Xbox -Whatever- the moment it was announced they were working on it.

If you -handed- me one, now, sure... I'd probably play it and love my games on it and be glad to have it. But there's no way in hell I'll pay MONEY for a suped-up VCR that wants to be a Blu-ray but runs like an 8-Track. I'm glad to see you doing the right thing, even if it's only because everyone and their grandmother could see that what you were doing was nothing short of corporate suicide, but I'm one of those supposedly-rare individuals who doesn't just buy into a slogan and mindlessly do what I'm told.

From today until the day you get rid of the anti-consumerist half-wits in your ranks, Microsoft, my business will be done elsewhere. I suspect I'm not alone.

It's amazing to know the community (internet + public) has that much power to convince an entire million dollar corporation like Microsoft to shut off their restrictions on their latest device. Power of words is indeed stronger then anything, let alone mind blowing.

OT:

Microsoft's Interactive Entertainment Business President Don Mattrick confirmed that the Xbox One will do away with internet check-ins and allow unlimited game trading, sharing and reselling.

I didn't expect this, at all. I figured they were so confident in their practices that Microsoft would try more restrictions or policies to rub people the wrong way- but poof! Suddenly it's all gone and Don is saying, "We screwed up so badly, there's no other way to say sorry but do what's right and to do that... we must get rid of our rules on the Xbox One."

.. Though would of been nice if they renamed their consoles. Xbox One is still a name that isn't all to good plus I really don't want them having the kinect as a 'must have for this to work' feature. All well, it's quite a nice start. Though don't expect people to trust you now. They're very much cautious of your actions Microsoft.

Humanity1:
Am I the only one who's annoyed by this trade-off? Personally, two of the feature's I was most looking forward to were the ability to share games online with friends and family and the ability to play installed games without the disk, which have been removed along with always online requirement. I mean, the disk thing is just a matter of preference, but I live on the opposite side of the country to my family and quite a few of my gaming friends so just handing them the disk isn't really an option. This was going to mean I'd still be able to share games with my sisters and let my friends try out a game I've been raving about.

Now, instead of there being three fairly different consoles for three fairly different purposes (with Sony and Nintendo reprising their roles from the previous generation and MS having a more online-integrated approach) we're now back exactly where we were for the last two generation but just a little bit prettier; Nintendo is playing off in it's own little corner doing it's fun Nintendo stuff and PS and XB are both playing essentially the same kind of games with naught but a few exclusives separating them and trying to cater to the same audience.

If I wanted what the XBone is now providing, I'd have been planning to buy the PS4 as they're doing it cheaper and just as well (even if I dislike their controller). Now I'm just kinda left with a sour taste in my mouth at my ability to choose the kind of console I wanted taken away from me...

So that small niche ability is worth having a console that in 10-15yrs time will cease to function when the servers are shut down? Or when your net dies? As nice as the feature was, the price was too high and since Microsoft would be going by sales its clear that the majority of gamers (myself included) voted against it.

This is a good enough turnabout to be a Phoenix Wright case

Talaris:
Here's a phrase Pierce Brosnan taught me in the film Dante's Peak, and I'll never forget it.

"Put a frog into boiling water, and it'll jump right out. Put a frog into cold water, and slowly heat it, and it will boil to death."

"So, is that your recipe for frog soup?"

"It's my recipe for disaster."

That was going through my head the whole time, I love that movie, and the quote. Something I will always remember too.

i wouldn't trust them as far as i could throw an XBone.

...and i'm Scot and we throw trees about as a sport :P

Greymanelor:

klaynexas3:
Still getting a PS4, but that's for me simply liking playstation better in general. However, good on Microsoft for finally listening, and Don not saying something simply was him speaking out of his ass.

I wouldn't really congratulate them for this. They didn't listen when people were speaking out. They tried to defend their awful policies or spin them into something positive. Change only happened because people were actually backing up their protest for once by not pre-ordering the the thing in the numbers they expected. Wallets forced them into this, not words.

Actually, they sold out all the pre-orders they allocated to plenty of Gamestops, and while it was a much smaller number, Microsoft themselves make the allocation, so even they predicted a lesser turn out, meaning that it couldn't have been the pre-orders themselves that made Microsoft changer their minds. Maybe they planned it all along, simply to pull the "listening and caring company" card, but it'd be a bold and dick move. If that weren't the case, and maybe it was the voice of the masses that reached them, then even if they were considering it, they wouldn't publicly back peddle until necessary. All in all, I'd give them the benefit of the doubt that it was the internet shit storm that changed their minds, as it worked on multiple companies before them. But we can all take it in whatever way we choose.

so now they are rowing back...

until they change their tune again.

Remember that MS reserves the right to bend you over and honk you in the arse anytime they see fit.

Now drop the kinect requirement, make the darn thing backwards compatible, drop the price, make all my downloadable titles carry over from my 360 and maybe we can talk.

Commerford:
Sorry Sony, I was with you for all of 1 week. But I can't be dealing with your controller. The only thing that put me off Xbox One was the online every 24 hours, now they've done away with it, I'll buy one.

Also, do you think they did this just so they could watch a Jimquistion on it? Granted it will still be scathing, but it'll be a u-turn nonetheless.

You could, you know, use another controller on the Playstation. The PS3 supports any controller that runs via USB, and I believe even any blutooth one too.

The damage has already been done though.

Many people have already spent their saved money on Wii Us, and others others have turned away from MS because of this, along with the NSA fiasco. I was also looking forward to the continuous beatings and news that MS was losing money left, right, and center because of their plans. How what am I going to do with all this pop-corn?

Well, at least I can play Crimson Dragon now.

Damn, and here I was hoping they would let sony run away with it. Unfortunately, I think this is aprobably enough to make people forgive them and buy an XB1.

RicoADF:

Humanity1:
Am I the only one who's annoyed by this trade-off? Personally, two of the feature's I was most looking forward to were the ability to share games online with friends and family and the ability to play installed games without the disk, which have been removed along with always online requirement. I mean, the disk thing is just a matter of preference, but I live on the opposite side of the country to my family and quite a few of my gaming friends so just handing them the disk isn't really an option. This was going to mean I'd still be able to share games with my sisters and let my friends try out a game I've been raving about.

Now, instead of there being three fairly different consoles for three fairly different purposes (with Sony and Nintendo reprising their roles from the previous generation and MS having a more online-integrated approach) we're now back exactly where we were for the last two generation but just a little bit prettier; Nintendo is playing off in it's own little corner doing it's fun Nintendo stuff and PS and XB are both playing essentially the same kind of games with naught but a few exclusives separating them and trying to cater to the same audience.

If I wanted what the XBone is now providing, I'd have been planning to buy the PS4 as they're doing it cheaper and just as well (even if I dislike their controller). Now I'm just kinda left with a sour taste in my mouth at my ability to choose the kind of console I wanted taken away from me...

So that small niche ability is worth having a console that in 10-15yrs time will cease to function when the servers are shut down? Or when your net dies? As nice as the feature was, the price was too high and since Microsoft would be going by sales its clear that the majority of gamers (myself included) voted against it.

Things like losing content in the long term were always cause for concern, but frankly, that wasn't the big one for me. Even the XBox One itself wasn't the major problem, for me; as I've already seen a fair number of short-sighted people sneer, "But you could have just bought one of the other options! Why ruin it for us?"

The major problem was the message allowing the XBox One to go forward as written would have said to everyone else. Every media company connected to the RIAA, MPAA, or the ESA would have gotten the word that punitive, invasive DRM and TOS were something consumers were ready and willing to put up with. Put a camera into our living room to make sure we don't have eight people watching HBO's latest? Sure, we'll put up with that. Turn our phone into a brick for installing an app we don't approve of? Okey-dokey. Mind if we record some data about which commercials best hold your attention? 'Course, that's part of the "service". Think that disc you're holding is some kind of "product"? Sucks to be you.

The power that Microsoft wanted- and let's be honest, wants- isn't the kind that might be abused. It's the kind that would be abused, sooner or later, and if their customers were lucky they might dress it up with a song-and-dance about how it was about providing convenience. If you didn't have reliable, high throughput broadband, an HDTV, money to put into an ongoing subscription, and residency in one of the small number of countries they were willing to cover, you failed to qualify for membership in the club where lucky people got to have MS watch them like a hawk.

Cloud gaming may come when it's ready to be sold as a service rather than forced down customers' throats as a requirement. Netflix didn't ban anyone from going to Blockbuster; they sold themselves as a superior service. Steam didn't demand we think about the poor struggling publishers; they lured people with good prices, smart organization, and an attitude that suggested that customers were more than a commodity. (Both still have their detractors, some of whom have good points of their own, but that's not what I'm here to argue.) Microsoft said: "This is the way we want to do it. This is the way you will all do it now."

We said "No." And by God, that's the only appropriate response.

The console race has just opened up.

I still doubt the Xbone will win it although, the old DRM system pushed allot of customers away and some will not return whatever MS will say.

The extra $100 for Kinect is another point of contention.

I wouldn't say it's over just yet.
Really at this point, everything is screaming that they're gonna let a good bit of people buy the console and then flip that switch back on.
Calling it.

With the Kinnect still bound it's still evil. It's basically adding all these little things over time till it builds up again for their view of the 'future'.

I will be amazed if this turns out to be true though because that is a very big and expensive change they have to make.

Nothing short of Microsoft adding mandatory support of mods on the Xbone would change my mind on the Xbone.

It speaks for a basic common sense in Microsofts Leadership Circle to make a turnaround at this point and that is to be appreciated. Let us however not forget who was very much willing to brutalize us customers in the first place. Let us also not forget, that the XBOXOne still comes with an undetachable Kinnect device that cannot be deactived or disconnected, but simply switched to pause mode via software. The whole construct is one software update or command from bein reversed at a moments notice.

Sony and their PS4 arent all sunshine and daisies, but they had at least the common courtesy to not state their intent to fuck me over from the get go. Sorry for the language. Thats the bits and pieces you pick up on the internet when this isnt your native language.

Well, this certainly lends credence to my theory that Microsoft were using the Xbone reveal and E3 to trial-by-fire every shitty idea they could think of and drop whatever tested badly afterward, but I'm still not sold.

If they can turn off the online check-in and the other DRM's so easily then they can just as quickly turn them back on.

No deal, Xbone.

One thing that didn't help X Box out was the overly combative stance of the MS employees defending it.

Great! I'm still not buying an Xbox.

Never thought they would do this, I was expecting them u-turn eventually. Say 12 months after the release of the Xbone they would have go scared and released an "Xbox one: Arcade" which just played disks and was heavily stripped out.

dystopiaINC:

yeah I'm miffed by that too. the biggest, coolest, most interesting feature this whole console generation is gone. THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS. god damn it this in not a victory this is a loss. god fucking dammit I hate the internet sometimes. it's shit like this that makes me ashamed to be called gamer it really does.

I knew it too, as soon as my friend told me why they changed I told him to mark my words and the cool sharing feature would be pulled. why? it's to easy to abuse with out the DRM. A feature like that can't exist with out some sort of system of checks to make sure it isn't abused. I thought that would be clear and understood. so much for my hope in the community. Fuck.

So having Microsoft being able to turn off their server thus bricking your system and being able to take all your games away is a nice thing...... we have very different views on what 'nice' is. That's a bonehead feature and the customers told that to MS with their wallets.

As many others have said, too late, Microsoft. You've shown your true colours, and none shall trust you ever again.
Well, of course someone will, but it won't be me.

RicoADF:

dystopiaINC:

yeah I'm miffed by that too. the biggest, coolest, most interesting feature this whole console generation is gone. THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS. god damn it this in not a victory this is a loss. god fucking dammit I hate the internet sometimes. it's shit like this that makes me ashamed to be called gamer it really does.

So having Microsoft being able to turn off their server thus bricking your system and being able to take all your games away is a nice thing...... we have very different views on what 'nice' is. That's a bonehead feature and the customers told that to MS with their wallets.

I think this can apply to that guy's post:

This is good but it means nothing if still dependent on the cloud unless the cloud is as we suspected worthless. In which case PS4 is still a more powerful more cheaper machine with better indie support and semi backwards compatibility. Still a step in the right direction is a step in the right direction lets see if they actually pull it off.

lacktheknack:
Can we not just have a one-thread siesta before we go right back to "no, screw you" or "now get rid of the Kinect"?

Wait, why are we having naps in a thread? I think you mean fiesta :P

OT: It's good to see the change in their stance and I'm now reconsidering my jump over to the PS4. I'll still wait for a few months to buy either though to hear reviews.

EDIT:

Also, can someone answer this for me? Wasn't the PS3 more powerful than the 360 but in the end it barely meant anything? (I know this was most likely due to the internals being weird but I don't remember seeing much, if any, difference between multi-platform versions.

I take this as good news.
I was just yesterday discussing with a friend that it was so stupid of MS to go all out on the XO and not have the system as a transition system that features the DRM for people that enjoy the digital advantages over the physical ones but still feature the physical copy protection for people that don't fancy DRM.

The Xbox 360 is a great example. I can install all my 360 games on the HDD and play them from the HDD. I just have to insert the disc into the tray so the 360 can check that I have the game.
No online DRM necessary.
The XO could have extended the system by offering additional to the system of the 360 that you could add the game to you shared library but then and only then you would have to go online to confirm that only one person is playing the game. Games on the shared library could as trade off then feature the virtual share feature as advertised by MS and you would not longer need the disc in the tray. Of course it must be possible to remove a game from the shared library and then it drops back to the 360 system again.
That way people could choose their system and since they could drop back to a system they know and used a long time I think they would have been less hostile to the DRM idea.

Anyway good for the people that complained about it.
I personally never really cared that much.

RicoADF:

dystopiaINC:

I knew it too, as soon as my friend told me why they changed I told him to mark my words and the cool sharing feature would be pulled. why? it's to easy to abuse with out the DRM. A feature like that can't exist with out some sort of system of checks to make sure it isn't abused. I thought that would be clear and understood. so much for my hope in the community. Fuck.

By the time any servers get shut down it would be years after the console has been significantly passed on by the next generation, and by then the DRM would not even be needed. if they can apparently take the whole thing offline before launch DRM included, then the could do so when they shut down severs. the feature that made the console look great was the ability to never need the disk again, share the game with people regardless of distance. and play my games on any xbox one console. I've had to many disks broken or lost by siblings, never returned when borrowed, or else get lost when moving to a new home. those feature were looking to be a game changer now it's a moot point since it was called off.

EDIT: Double post please disregard.

Microsoft had nothing to gain from any of their "restrictive" policies. They did it because they honestly believed a digitalization of the market would make things better for consumers and developers alike, but they aren't making a dime.

They believed they could improve the market, but now that the consumers weren't interested in such improvements, they are basically saying; fine by me and stripping those policies away.

I don't doubt for a second that Sony had their own DRM prepared, but simply chose not to announce anything after watching the backlash Microsoft's has been receiving.

This entire situation is fucked up.

Well done Microsoft, good to see we got through to them with our outrage.
It's nice that they are finally respecting/fearing us.

But what about the cloud? I thought that was a major thing with the Xbox one eighty

Going back to MS right now is like a woman going back with her husband after he beat her bad only because he said he wouldn't do it anymore.

Sorry MS no sell. I know you say you won't fuck us over right now but I have a feeling you are going to relapse and try again in the next 3 years.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here