Joss Whedon Defends Ben Affleck as Batman

Pages PREV 1 2 3

They better use the Nolan Batman music, the music you hear when the cops first see Batman again in the Dark Knight Rises. (The music was used before, but that scene sticks out) It's possibly one of the best soundtracks to go with a film, that kinda, reflects the character, kinda like Jaws, when you hear that music, you know what's coming kinda thing.

To be honest, if WB and DC can pull this off, this could be the start of something big and might finally get WB and DC in the same league as Marvel and Disney.

The new Batman film is meant to include Superman, right? Already something I'm not at all down with.
And now I read this... The fact that Ben Afleck has done other good stuff (and he has) means nothing. It's whether or not he'll be a good Batman and until I see something to the contrary, I just can't see it. Not at all looking forward to the new Batman flicks.

valium:

Hyper-space:

J Tyran:

People also had doubts when George Clooney was cast as Batman too, look how that turned out. We can see how well Ben Affleck handled a superhero movie already... look how that turned out too.

Why is it that people refer to Affleck's work from a decade ago, but ignore his most recent? What selective bullshit is this?

By the same logic, Leonardo DiCaprio is a terrible actor, when he's anything but.

By your logic, Robert DeNiro and Al Pacino are terrible actors, seeing as all their recent movies have been pretty bad.

You cant just ignore previous work, god awful movies Ben Affleck did a decade ago are still relevant to an appraisal of his abilities as an actor.

I don't think he meant ignore the past and only focus on the recent works, just recognize that previous works shouldn't be the sole basis for determining how well an actor can perform.

On a semi-related note, I still think DeNiro and Pacino are fantastic actors. Have they been cast in the best movies as of late? Perhaps not, but their individual performances should be what determines their skill, not the work as a whole. Of course, this is entire matter is purely subjective, so take it as you like.

NoAccountNeeded:
I'm inclined to trust the casting, even as I doubt the wisdom of remaking the franchise so soon.

It's not really remaking the franchise, is it? They've just cast Affleck to play Batman for a crossover flick which is essentially taking place in a Superman movie. They're not deleting the Nolan trilogy as far as i see it.

OT: Is it wrong that i suspect Whedon only supports this because he hopes it'll bomb really badly and thus crush DC's hopes of extending this series into a Justice League movie?

So... Defenders claim that Affleck's a shoe in because he's just as miserable as Batman?

Actually... yeah, that's a surprisingly eloquent argument. Daredevil sucked ass, but back then Affleck's public persona was Full Bars, I mean he was married to J-Lo for frak's sake. This fits into the logic pretty well. Ok, I'll give him a chance. Come on guys, in a world where Batman can also become the Mayor of Quohog, what kind of damage can Affleck really do to the beloved "canon of Batmon?"

Well done, defenders. You won me over.

Trying to reserve judgement...

Failing miserably! I understand what the various Hollywood types are saying. But really they have to say and think that. Their own careers are based on neither they nor their compatriots falling into any sort of typcasting, be it via roles, genres or ability. So they will never question this sort of thing. And I'll agree with Wheedon, Affleck can look like a decent Batman. He's got the chin to rock the mask.

BUT

I as a paying fan can not ever see an actual Ben Affleck character. I can no longer see past the entity that is Ben Affleck. I have a similar problem with some other "A listers" like Tom Cruise or Will Smith. They have no ability to take on a distinct crafted role. Instead they play themselves and the role is crafted around them. And this is fine in some cases. Many actors have had long succesful careers this way. John Wayne understood this concept. But it can't work for Batman. Batman is not a role that you can write around Ben Affleck. Ben Affleck must become Batman. And nothing I have seen of his abilities gives me even the slightest hope that he has those sorts of chops. He can probably write a really really good Dark Knight quality Batman script. I would love to see his take on it from the directors chair. But stepping in front of the camera as Batman? I'm sorry no matter how I try I can't see past Ben Affleck standing in the way.

nathan-dts:

SonOfVoorhees:
Not to fussed about Ben as Batman, im more concerned how crap this movie will be. Batman can never beat Superman. Ever. Not in the real world that these heroes are set in. An i will walk out the cinema if they play the krytonite card again. Sick of that. Thing is even if Bats has a ring or gloves or whatever with kryptonite, Superman can just fly out of his reach and burn/freeze him from a distance. The whole idea of this movie is stupid, though the idea of them teaming up it good. An yes i know their was a comic where bats beat superman......but im sure there is a comic where Pee Wee Herman beat the Hulk.

Superman/Batman are comics were they work together. The film will be, too. They won't be fighting each other.

Have they confirmed it isn't a versus film, because that's what I hope. I would rather a team up then a vs, could make for an interesting story seeing as how the two have never done so in live action before. As for Ben, I'll give him a chance.

chozo_hybrid:

nathan-dts:

SonOfVoorhees:
Not to fussed about Ben as Batman, im more concerned how crap this movie will be. Batman can never beat Superman. Ever. Not in the real world that these heroes are set in. An i will walk out the cinema if they play the krytonite card again. Sick of that. Thing is even if Bats has a ring or gloves or whatever with kryptonite, Superman can just fly out of his reach and burn/freeze him from a distance. The whole idea of this movie is stupid, though the idea of them teaming up it good. An yes i know their was a comic where bats beat superman......but im sure there is a comic where Pee Wee Herman beat the Hulk.

Superman/Batman are comics were they work together. The film will be, too. They won't be fighting each other.

Have they confirmed it isn't a versus film, because that's what I hope. I would rather a team up then a vs, could make for an interesting story seeing as how the two have never done so in live action before. As for Ben, I'll give him a chance.

No plot details, but the title is identical to the comics so I'm assuming that's how it'll work.

nathan-dts:

chozo_hybrid:

nathan-dts:

No plot details, but the title is identical to the comics so I'm assuming that's how it'll work.

Oh, they titled it? Superman/Batman? Or Worlds Finest? Either way is fine, just glad to hear it won't be a versus.

Hey it can't be any worse than Christopher Nolan's boring, whining, batman who was suffering from lung cancer.

I still don't buy it. Ben Afleck never struck me as a good actor in anything I saw him in. He turned out to be a surprisingly good director, but his acting style has always been off. And not an entertaining kind of off, like Christopher Walken.

And Joss Whedon has no cred with me. His recommendation sways me not at all.

The issue here is simple: This film is something fans have been dreaming of since forever. Now we have it and we just want to feel confident in how it's being handled and built. And that's the thing; we don't. At least not a fairly significant percentage.

There were many actors in Hollywood of both film and television that would have instilled confidence for the role and film. Affleck simply isn't one of them. And Hollywood "names" and friends coming to his defense means little.

Of course they are going to defend him, especially folks like Joss and Patton who have taken a ton of shit from the geek fanbase; they defend him on principle. Like the writers and game makers who defended BioWare after Mass Effect 3's 'Fuck You' ending debacle despite all evidence that there wasn't anything "artistic" about it.

J Tyran:

NoAccountNeeded:
People had doubts when Heath Ledger was cast as Joker.

People also had doubts when George Clooney was cast as Batman too, look how that turned out. We can see how well Ben Affleck handled a superhero movie already... look how that turned out too.

or ... maybe Dare Devil was just written and directed poorly? seriously, we need to get over Dare Devil, Afflect isn't a bad actor

Lunar Templar:

J Tyran:

NoAccountNeeded:

or ... maybe Dare Devil was just written and directed poorly? seriously, we need to get over Dare Devil, Afflect isn't a bad actor

Maybe, but a good actor can stand out in a bad film. No-one seems to be saying he was great in that film, only that he was okay at best. To me, it seems an odd choice considering there are more consistently good actors.

Personally, I would have preferred a less known name. That way Superman's & Batman's actors would be on a more equal footing and it would be easier for an audience to see the character rather than the actor.

Lunar Templar:

J Tyran:

NoAccountNeeded:

Ben Affleck was terrible in a terrible film, like this scene for example. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=NW0Rv2H1Pug#t=119

Yes he will really make a good Batman...

J Tyran:

Lunar Templar:

J Tyran:

Ben Affleck was terrible in a terrible film, like this scene for example. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=NW0Rv2H1Pug#t=119

riiight ... and Dare Devil was how long ago now?

This is why I say we need to move on, Dare Devil is 10 years old, Ben has been in better movies and won awards for those roles, Argo being his most recent. Granted I know telling the 'nerd culture' to 'get over it and move on' is like trying to stop the fucking tides from coming in by yelling it them, but yeah, really is time to move on.

Lunar Templar:

J Tyran:

Lunar Templar:

riiight ... and Dare Devil was how long ago now?

This is why I say we need to move on, Dare Devil is 10 years old, Ben has been in better movies and won awards for those roles, Argo being his most recent. Granted I know telling the 'nerd culture' to 'get over it and move on' is like trying to stop the fucking tides from coming in by yelling it them, but yeah, really is time to move on.

Whats your excuse for the more recent films then? Telling people how it is happens to be a lot more like telling the tides to stop.

J Tyran:

Whats your excuse for the more recent films then? Telling people how it is happens to be a lot more like telling the tides to stop.

*shrugs*

If he's been in shit recently, fine, let him be judged by that, not saying he hasn't been in shit recently. But to continue to bring up a movie a decade old as the worst thing he's done and he's done nothing good or incapable of delivering a decent performance is very petty.

But, take my defending the choice of Ben with a grain of salt, cause while I do in fact like Batman (though Wolverine more so) I am rather tired of seeing him, and the fact Batman is even IN the next Super Man movie kinda smacks of desperation, in that 'it didn't work!! throw Batman at it, that'll fix it' way.

Well, if Joss Whedon supports Affleck you can expect Movie Bob to do a complete 180 and start kissing Afleck's ass too.

tangoprime:

Strazdas:
well he said he will crush it. i always considered crushing a synonim to destruction, which is a bad thing. so yes, Joss is right, he will ruin the batman. And yes, we should support him, maybe after this new batman failure they will finally stop making batman and go on to explore different chracters. there is so much batman out there nwo that its oversaturated.

I believe in this case "crushing" was referencing hitting a home run in Baseball, which is probably more of a strictly american idiom.

not being american myself, i never heard that one used by anyone. But i guess it is possible usage. americans like to use words backwards.

J Tyran:

NoAccountNeeded:

^This. Heath is not an excuse to toss around whenever a seemingly inappropriate actor is cast.

Personally, I didn't like Man of Steel much, it was one of the more forgettable movies I've seen. I'd give it a 7/10 with the comment that I do enjoy superhero movies in general. So I doubt they even have a good movie lined up and I think casting Ben is both bringing in a big name for Batman while also cashing in on the whole "you didn't expect Heath to be good either, did you?" thing. Do you really expect we'll be surprised twice in the same franchise in such a short time span by a weird actor for the role doing amazingly well? Think about the odds of that happening alone, then consider that unlike Nolan's movies, Man of Steel is nothing special to say the least.

Note that I'm not saying Affleck is a bad actor. He's not. But I very much doubt he'll be a good Batman, same way Clooney wasn't, because the role doesn't suit him.

edit: Oh and this:

Lunar Templar:
and the fact Batman is even IN the next Super Man movie kinda smacks of desperation, in that 'it didn't work!! throw Batman at it, that'll fix it' way.

Ulquiorra4sama:
OT: Is it wrong that i suspect Whedon only supports this because he hopes it'll bomb really badly and thus crush DC's hopes of extending this series into a Justice League movie?

That is a horrible and cynical suspicion, and you are a terrible person for suggesting it. ... I love it.

Eh, honestly... I'm not expecting much, but I doubt it'll be horrible. I suspect it'll run nice and "safe" with the script, playing for the broadest-base appeal. DC has decided that "dark" and "edgy" are cool now (welcome to the 90s, people), and it'll be more in that vein, I suspect; like Dark Knight and Man of Steel. Meanwhile, the Marvel franchise movies (well, the disney/marvel produced ones, anyway) will keep being fun and actually - y'know - heroic.

(Disclaimer: I don't care about Marvel/DC favoritism at all, I just didn't like the Nolan Batman or Man of Steel very much)

SweetWarmIce:
Affleck will nail it seeing as Bruce Wayne is the actual character. Batman is just a costume.

I wouldn't necessarily agree on that. I loved Bale as Bruce but couldn't handle his overplayed Batman.

I have no problem with Ben as Batman. It's good that Whedon supports this; this will motivate both of them to work their butts off to make the best movies they can. The bigger questions are what's the movie's official title and who's writing the script. If anything, the whole thing can't be Batman vs. Superman. Sure they can start not agreeing how to do things, but of course there has to be a villain who can make those two work together.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here