Star Citizen Dogfighting Module Delayed to Early 2014

Pages PREV 1 2

AldUK:
Ah the fickleness of the gaming community strikes again.

"I'll throw hundreds of [insert local currency] into this to show my approval but if I see even one tiny thing I don't agree with, then it's the worst idea ever and everybody involved should be locked up in Alcatraz."

Here's a crazy idea; sit back, keep an eye on what looks cool but don't become emotionally (or financially) invested in it and enjoy gaming. It's not life or death.

Yay, a post that looks at the bigger picture, thank god!

I was hoping someone would make a 'We are busy counting our budget in pennies' joke, but all I kept hearing is people complaining about the fact that this is the guy that created the genre that no-one else wants to dabble in. Let the man take his time.

Yes this guy is making a crazy amount of money, he has even said as much, but given that the scope of his game has increased along with his budget, this was inevitable. He is probably looking at the people he wants to outsource to so we don't suffer the Deus EX HR boss screw-ups again.

IS this guy like Peter Molyneux? Not really. Peter claimed his games were the next step of RPGs, when that was mianly the first one, and more of a stumble forward. Chris strikes me as the guy who wants to make his Magnum Opus, of a much higher quality than any game in the Fable series.

infohippie:
As someone who has backed this with a significant chunk of cash, I say, "good!" CIG should take the time they need. We all knew from the start there would be delays and dates would slip. That is inevitable in a project like this. The whole point of crowdfunding Star Citizen is that CIG are not beholden to publishers and their artificial, profit-oriented timelines. Little pieces along the way like the hangar module and the dogfighting alpha are nice and all, but I backed for the Best Damn Space Sim Ever. This is essentially THE game I have been waiting for ever since I started gaming three decades ago and my only concern is that it is done RIGHT.

This.

I'm very happy that DFM has been delayed. I've backed $200 to the game, and am following it's development quite casually. From the Wingman's Hangar updates and the info given on the forums, I'm quite content to just let this development pan out, at it's own pace. The DFM is the core of the game, and I'd like RSI/CIG to take their time over it.

Jesus, the amount of idiots attacking Chris Roberts and Star Citizen without doing any research into the project at all.
I've backed this project, very confidently, way back in October when Star Citizen was first announced. Ever since then I've checked the website for news almost every single day (and they update with blog posts called "comm-links" literally every day of the week other than the weekend) and I am up to date on every lore, the development of the game, etc.

This project isn't just some tech demo and it certainly isn't a scam. Chris worked on Star Citizen for a year prior to announcing it. Therefore the game has been in development for 2 years. However, as we've hit more and more fund goals, the resources put into developing the game has vastly increased. There are (I think) 13 studios worldwide working on all different parts of the game, with more and more staff getting hired as we speak. They're hosting a ship-building contest called "The Next Great Starship", sponsored by 8 companies including Crytek, Alienware, 3DS Max, AMD, and so on. Chris is working closely with Nvidia, AMD, and has spoken at their press conferences to explain how he's using technology like AMD's mantle and applying it to Star Citizen.

Furthermore, CIG has revealed practically everything going on in their development of the game, including the soundtrack. In the anniversary livestream, they revealed they're working with Pedro Camacho, and THE Martin Galway for the soundtrack of the game, and they got the guy who made the HUD animations for the Ironman movies to work on the HUD for the ships in the game.

Here are the videos :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8vVP4Fbof4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrZpSPup9l4&list=PL3GxIJ4mqQHa5cejvzHo9x-fuUXkyqYk6&index=7

I can go on and talk about a thousand other things that are being worked on, but I'll leave you to do your own research.
If you did any sort of research onto this project you'd know this is going to be a great game, or at least a legitimate project. I suggest you join us in the livestream on December 20th, and even if you miss this livestream, all livestreams are recorded and posted on their youtube channel. I'm excited for this livestream since we'll get a first glimpse of the dogfighting module, and perhaps new ships that will be added to the hangar.

So, if I understand everyone correctly, if people continue to pour money into Star Citizen then it will never be completed because the promises will be made faster than they can be implemented.

Got it.

Just keep on buying those $100 3D models then.

I fail to see the issue here.
The dogfighting module is intended as a pre-pre alpha stage of the game. The fact that it was even considered to be playable by the public is unique.
And now that the people over at RSI would rather work on it, polish it more, therefore simply delaying it instead of flat out saying "you're just gonna have to wait till the proper Alpha" (which would be absolutely justifiable) is, once again, unique.

Here we have a bunch of people hating on RSI because, what? They have raised a bunch of money? Because they actually care about their customers enough to not rush out some horrible, un-polished shred of a game which's release is years away?
All these comments about buying "XXX$ 3D models" are suffering from some serious superiority complexes.
A number of other crowd-funded games don't net you anything prior to launch. This modular release gives us a glimpse into the development of a game we helped fund.

If you're someone who has a problem with this, and also whines about AAA devs/pubs rushing out un-polished games, then you're not only a hypocrite, but also a bit of a bastard.

MinionJoe:
So, if I understand everyone correctly, if people continue to pour money into Star Citizen then it will never be completed because the promises will be made faster than they can be implemented.

Got it.

For someone who claims not to have a problem with Chris Roberts or Star Citizen you're awful quick to insult their supporters and make statements that seem to hope for their failure.

If you're not a backer then what are you complaining about? If it's really about the funding model (as you claimed previously) then go picket Kickstarter's offices or something else more conducive to ending the ancient tyranny of supporting good ideas.

I shelled down an equal amount of money for Star Citizen as I would shell down for any other AAA-game and I was anticipating the dogfighting module most of all.

However, this does not bother me as much as other people might think: I'm fine as long as they eventually release this and make it loads of fun (like I expect it to be).

Chatboy 91:
I've sunk $735 into this project...

$735!? Why would you put so much money down for a single game? I mean, I get the whole "support the development" thing but I normally don't see myself spending more than the estimated worth of a finished product, since allot of the kickstarter projects tend to essentially be a patient pre-pre-orders.

Product Placement:

Chatboy 91:
I've sunk $735 into this project...

$735!? Why would you put so much money down for a single game? I mean, I get the whole "support the development" thing but I normally don't see myself spending more than the estimated worth of a finished product, since allot of the kickstarter projects tend to essentially be a patient pre-pre-orders.

Well, to be fair I've been pledging in bits over the last year... I know I'm crazy, but I've REALLY wanted a game like this for a long time now, so I don't mind throwing money at it. Plus, I've gotten some cool physical swag, and all the ships I'm getting at the start now have lifetime insurance.

MinionJoe:

Got it.

No, you don't understand correctly. That much is obvious.

And this is the biggest reason I refuse to back this game or get hyped for it even though I really like it conceptually. Two years of development and you can't even put out a tech demo? I'm not going to invest money or emotion on a game that I don't expect to get my hands on till 2016

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here