Farewell Jim Sterling

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

-snip

Wait... so Jim is gone? But where will people obtain their opinions from now?!?

RJ 17:
Wow...can't say I was expecting anything like this when I woke up 5 minutes ago...

especially since they were talking about doing another season of uncivil war when the scroes got highish makes this seem a bit sudden. Personal conflicts maybe issues with a fellow staff member perhaps?

Ocelano:

RJ 17:
Wow...can't say I was expecting anything like this when I woke up 5 minutes ago...

especially since they were talking about doing another season of uncivil war when the scroes got highish makes this seem a bit sudden. Personal conflicts maybe issues with a fellow staff member perhaps?

According to the patreon thing Jim set up, he left because he didn't want to feel threatened/pressured by a need to appease advertisers. For instance, it's rather awkward if Jim makes an episode ripping Ubisoft to shreds while the Escapist is plastered with ads for Assassin's Creed. I don't know if he left. I don't know if he was "asked to leave". But I'm not digging into it any more than I have by going to the patreon site and reading Jim's side of the story.

I'm sure the truth - if it's juicy and dirty enough - will come out sooner or later anyways. :P

RJ 17:
I'm sure the truth - if it's juicy and dirty enough - will come out sooner or later anyways. :P

There were some tweets hinting at dissatisfaction on Jim's side with corporate overlords. He did not say what the topic of contention was, however.

It's a shame, Jim was a big reason to visit the Escapist for me.

Good luck with the new direction Jimothy!

CannibalCorpses:
Don't let the door hit your arse on the way out... :p

To quote a friend 'if you've got nothing nice to say, don't say anything nice!'. Ahhh words to live by :)

I really despise that childish phrase. Well, all of them. But specifically "'if you've got nothing nice to say, don't say anything nice!'.

Devin posted that in a Newsroom article comments section when someone criticised the content and rightly got torn apart for it.

A huge loss to the Escapist but, as long as his MO doesn't change too much due to different environment, a minor loss to us. It really just means another bookmark to add. There, done. Now for this week's Jimquisition! Woot :D

Monday is dead to me now.

Also considering that the Patreon clearly shows he is making four times what I need to live on just making his little videos, well #(&#* me. And thank god for Jim Sterling. Long live the Queen.

Wow. I was having a bad week (couldn't even browse here until today) and was hoping for a Movie Defense to brighten my day.

I am now sad. At least this pointed me where I need to go.
List me as dissatisfied with whatever the Escapist did to cause this split.
I still have some written stuff and two of my video trinity left.

Considering what could happen if the other two leave, they also write most of the written content I consume.

He finished his cycle here and his contributions will be appreciated.
I hope he's not buying into his Jimquisition persona and thinking he will thrive as an independent, because while entertaining, he's awfully predictable and repetitive at times.
Nevertheless I enjoyed most of his content, but I always saw him as a youtuber with slightly higher production values.

I wish him the best, but advice him to keep a level head when planning future ventures. Internet fame is ephemeral, and he needs to make the most of it now that he has an audience.

Farewell Jim! I wish you the best on the whole "going solo" thing.

I will continue to watch your show on youtube because thank God for you!

Lono Shrugged:

CannibalCorpses:

To quote a friend 'if you've got nothing nice to say, don't say anything nice!'. Ahhh words to live by :)

I really despise that childish phrase. Well, all of them. But specifically "'if you've got nothing nice to say, don't say anything nice!'.

Devin posted that in a Newsroom article comments section when someone criticised the content and rightly got torn apart for it.

It's actually a quote of a misquote...the saying is 'if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all'...the fact i had my mate so flustered that he misquoted it as his defence speaks volumes to my antagonistic ways...admonishment to endorsement...

SonOfVoorhees:
Jim will be fine, look on his patreon and he is getting about $8000+ a month.

As long as he continues to provide the same caliber of work going forward he'll be fine. Maybe better than ever.

Hyrist:

My fear about his move however, is that what he will accomplish by this is simply creating an echo chamber of approval for himself, where only the most loyal fans will be able to commentate or criticize where he will be most often looking - and that can be poor for Journalistic evolution and development.

We'll see.

Considering that the Jimquisition is now psted on Youtube for everybody (Patreon supporter or not) the echo chamber of self satisfaction probably won't happen, for if there was anything good Youtube comments are good for, it's keeping you modest.

Hyrist:

In this case, if Gamer Gate wishes to legitimize itself, it has to have a clear organisation, leadership, and membership that enforces a conduct code to follow. That does mean it has to separate itself from the swell of voices.

The Extra Credits crew did a video a whiles back about Anonymous and for the most part they have a lot of similarities, particularly with anybody can be a part of GG or Anonymous. Whilst the numbers may be part of their strength it is also their biggest weakness, as the trolls and dick waffles are just as much a part of the movement as those who are doing 'right'.

Lightknight:

SonOfVoorhees:
Jim will be fine, look on his patreon and he is getting about $8000+ a month.

As long as he continues to provide the same caliber of work going forward he'll be fine. Maybe better than ever.

Granted a Patreon isn't like a Kickstarter, whilst he's making that kinda money now (some of which is mine, honestly) it is subject to change. Hell, all it takes is somebody to go "damn, hes making a tonne, I can tone back my pledge", then boom, half the money gone in about a week.

There's also keeping the 'Fans' happy, not his fans moreso fans of the games he'll tear into. As this week has shown me, people can be very petty about their quantities of water.

Well shit. Good job escapist, instead of confronting your problems and trying to mollify people, you're quietly pushing anyone who rocks the boat under the bus. Hee hee, vehicles. Anyway, Sterling was personally one of my favourite people on this site, despite his bootlicking to Sarkeesian and Quinn. I feel like you've lost a lot of viewers today and more are gonna keep leaving if you continue this mindset of fire everyone who speaks out against you.

I understand there is a certain level of professionalism required to work on this website but there is more professionalism required to run it, and that doesn't include stomping your feet and pointing to the door every time someone says "Hey, I'm not totally comfortable with the way things are run here, I'm gonna look around and see if I can find some other potential work." I mean, when it's someone as downright influential as Jim Sterling, you come to the table and meet him halfway.

Also at the very least, don't put on this whimsical getup that "It's so sad we have to wave goodbye, we're all deeply sorry for the loss look at how sorry we are everyone please forgive us!" Stick to your guns, people. If you're going to fire someone, have the balls to use the word fire.

CannibalCorpses:

Lono Shrugged:

CannibalCorpses:

It's actually a quote of a misquote...the saying is 'if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all'...the fact i had my mate so flustered that he misquoted it as his defence speaks volumes to my antagonistic ways...admonishment to endorsement...

It's still bullshit. Somebody's tone shouldn't be the most important thing about their message. As long as they're clear about the point and it's valid, who really cares if they're swearing or calling you a blithering idiot. This isn't kindergarten.

dtgenshiken7:
As long as they're clear about the point and it's valid, who really cares if they're swearing or calling you a blithering idiot.

Virtually everybody, including the vast majority of forum moderators?

I'm... but... Uncivil War? How will the Uncivil War continue? :,(
I ship Jim X Yahtzee

They weren't wrong though, your first few videos were terrible.
Keep up the better quality you've had since and you'll do great.

Long live the Jimquisition!

dtgenshiken7:
Well shit. Good job escapist, instead of confronting your problems and trying to mollify people, you're quietly pushing anyone who rocks the boat under the bus. Hee hee, vehicles. Anyway, Sterling was personally one of my favourite people on this site, despite his bootlicking to Sarkeesian and Quinn. I feel like you've lost a lot of viewers today and more are gonna keep leaving if you continue this mindset of fire everyone who speaks out against you.

I understand there is a certain level of professionalism required to work on this website but there is more professionalism required to run it, and that doesn't include stomping your feet and pointing to the door every time someone says "Hey, I'm not totally comfortable with the way things are run here, I'm gonna look around and see if I can find some other potential work." I mean, when it's someone as downright influential as Jim Sterling, you come to the table and meet him halfway.

Also at the very least, don't put on this whimsical getup that "It's so sad we have to wave goodbye, we're all deeply sorry for the loss look at how sorry we are everyone please forgive us!" Stick to your guns, people. If you're going to fire someone, have the balls to use the word fire.

"Bootlicking"? He was fired? He didn't leave on his own? Can you prove that or did you just assume that's what happened? Just a heads-up: you are accusing the management of this site of corruption. This is not Monty Python.

Pyrian:

dtgenshiken7:
As long as they're clear about the point and it's valid, who really cares if they're swearing or calling you a blithering idiot.

Virtually everybody, including the vast majority of forum moderators?

Mmm, I have to agree. The swearing sometimes puts me off the message. It's powerful cocking stuff and it shouldn't just be arsing thrown around willy-nilly.

EDIT: Argh. Sorry about that last one! >_<

Oh that's a shame. But looking at that Patreon account I can see why he made the call. $10k a month right now! Wow. The thought that somebody can be truly independent in their work and fully supported by mini-sponsors like that nowadays is awesome.

Jim's stay on the escapist was like a Durian - a purportedly delightfully tasting fruit if you could learn to ignore the inherent smell of roadkill and sweaty balls.

The internet's big enough for the two of us, I guess. Goodbye and good riddance.

Well god dammit. This isn't great news at all. A damn shame is what this is.
I still remember how much i disliked Jim after watching his first few vids here on the Escapist. I wondered what made the Escapist hire some arrogant bloke that just pissed me off. And then, later, i watched a few videos more, and, well, i started liking and enjoying them. And I've been a fan of his for a while now. And for me, this is legit bad news. Looking at the Patreon numbers, seems like he'll be doing just fine, but still, in my eyes, this is a heavy loss for the Escapist.

What the hell? Yeah, this was definitely unexpected.

Any reason why Jim left? Either way, it's a shame that he's gone. :(

"despite his persona, Jim is really just a big teddy bear of a person."

Alright, damnit. I am tired of being cruelly stereotyped by people I don't know. It's not militant feminists who should be blamed entirely, but my folk are suffering slander.

I'm not talking about nerds, though. I'm talking about chubby and/or fat people like myself. I'm TIRED of people calling us "big teddy bears". I in no way want to be compared to bears because of my body. I'm tired of them saying we're "big huggable bears" I mean, have you ever hugged a bear? Its terrifying.

Stop this injustice at once!

I can't believe he's really gone.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook