Farewell Jim Sterling

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Everyone has to take stock at some point and consider why they do what they do and whether they can continue those things they do or not. If the answer is not, but the desire to continue is strong, one must analyze the obstacles in their path and remove them by any means necessary without compromising one's own integrity. Jim outgrew the Escapist, in a lot of ways (not a physical dig or pun I assure you), and his growth also led to revelations on just how and what he truly wants to represent. Good for him, though the Escapist is lessened by his departure (here's a use for decimated Jim!!!) and as part of the community I'll miss posting on his videos here.
It is only my opinion, derived from a few tweets and his Patreon page, but its what I believe to be the case here. Its not that there's a falling out, just a clear cut case of things Jim just doesn't want to do: compromise his integrity. He essentially doesn't want to water down, cowtow to sponsors, or filter his content and I support this decision. I don't see it as a stand against "the man" so much as a man who is standing on his own, supported by his audience and not nebulous, flighty sponsors who honestly know nothing of the content they advertise with.
I wish and hope that his departure sends a few shockwaves up the apple tree, knocking loose some of the rotten fruit there so that the bunch doesn't continue to spoil because I do like coming here and would be a little more than sad to have to walk away because the content had become nothing more than this:

Hats off to you, Jim F'n Sterling, son. I'll follow you wherever you go because you're a voice worth listening to, despite your British handicap =D

Thank God for you.

Count me in the camp of people that never really li--... well, was never too keen on him. Unfortunately, he never grew on me; I was too stubborn to allow him to. However with all the things I've heard from him 2nd hand, a few of his more recent videos that I eyed and seeing how he's grown on others less stubborn than I, I'm willing to admit that dude's got a firm grasp on what he's doing. While I'm still not entirely keen on him, I've grown somewhat of a healthy respect for him and his work ethic.

I wish the guy the best on his Patreon. Keep on keeping on Jim. Don't let dudes like me hinder your forward motion. And... don't let certain people bully you for trying to see certain things objectively.

dunam:

circularlogic88:
What the hell? This came out of nowhere. Did the slaughtering grounds devs start looking at the escapist with legal action or something and this is their way of distancing themselves from Jim?

It seemed to come out of somewhere:

https://twitter.com/FartToContinue/status/533617769368256512

Wait, where were those images taken from?

Zachary Amaranth:

Pyrian:
There are...
No strings...
On Jim...

If nobody's done a Jim Sterling/Ultron mashup by now, I am no longer in love with the internet.

Turns out he said it on his YouTube page, although I didn't know that when I wrote my post. I've been Jimja'd!

Farewell you magnificent bastard. You will be missed.

At least this time when a content provider has left, it seems to be on good terms, unlike that whole debarkle with extra credits.

Still, I'm already subbed on his YouTube channel, and will gladly continue to follow him. I'm even going to donate to his patreon (first time ever doing that).

I thank god for Jim, and all his future endeavours.

Pyrian:

Zachary Amaranth:

Pyrian:
There are...
No strings...
On Jim...

If nobody's done a Jim Sterling/Ultron mashup by now, I am no longer in love with the internet.

Turns out he said it on his YouTube page, although I didn't know that when I wrote my post. I've been Jimja'd!

Yes, but has it been added to AoU footage, or is my love affair with the internet over?

Well at least Yahtzee is still here, wonder what will happen to the site should he go on his own.

Finally, Jim is leading his people to the promised land.

LifeCharacter:

Dogstile:

Tanis:
So, another victim of the 'tolerant' GG movement...?

And how exactly is this their fault?

When a group's most "successful" actions are spamming advertisers of websites that said mean things about them, people are perfectly capable of seeing it for what it is, a threat and an attempt to silence people. I doubt Jim Fucking Sterling Son likes either of those things.

Oh right, telling advertisers that the people who promote their product are being dicks is the same as silencing. Riiiiiiiight.

I'm not even a gamergater and even I can tell you that its dumb to think actions don't have consequences.

Should be interesting to see what happens next with him.

I've been following him on youtube channel for a while now - should be interesting to see whether his format or content changes now that he's 'off the hook'

That link to his twitter (or is it facebook, hard to tell) sure makes it look like he's wanted to come out more harshly against The Escapist and Gamergate - but... only time will tell if that's what he's going to rail against now

I'm surprised and sad that he's gone. I was surprised yesterday when there wasn't a new Uncivil War. Its a shame because I thought that was one of the more creative shows on this website.

As for why he left. I have noticed that content on the Escapist has gotten tamer and more mainstream in the past few years and a few creative voices have jumped ship as well. I think that Defy needs to ease up a lot on its editorial control on content otherwise they are going to lose other great contributors.

That's unfortunate. Honestly, his was the only content I still enjoyed watching on a regular basis here. Look forward to seeing what he does on his own though. I think things will work out just fine for him.

Honestly kind of surprised this didn't happen after the J&Y's Rhymedown Spectacular finale.

well that sucks, i wasnt following the guy anymore but still

And the last major thing holding me here is gone. *sigh* time to find a new less industry friendly site that is not full of itself again................

Zachary Amaranth:
Totally looking forward to what he does next.

ShakerSilver:
Even without the more recent events, his contempt for the audience was becoming more palpable with every episode.

I must have missed those episodes.

And really, it seems like a lot of his audience did. It's almost like this contempt is an imagined slight, but that can't be it. I mean, threes of people have commented on it. So I'm guessing he deleted the videos and all evidence of it.

I don't know where it's coming from either. I've seen every episode. Contempt for crap devs/corps and lousy business practices, yes. Contempt for the audience though - where are people getting this idea? He doesn't like it when people vote crap into green light, or the practice of preordering; and he calls it out in his videos. But that doesn't translate in to contempt for the audience.

Do people have a broken understanding of satire, sarcasm? Do people just not like him and are projecting the contempt on to him? Jim having contempt for his audience, it is an imagined thing. He loves his audience. Sometimes Movie Bob can seem to come close to this, but even he doesn't go into actual contempt. Thing only explanation I can think of, is maybe people don't like his personal politics and don't like it when his humor/satire/sarcasm has this tint. But blue state, red state - it doesn't matter. We should all be able to laugh about the silliness of politics.

So... yeah - I'm just going to call outright, complete BS on Jim being contemptuous of his audience.

The larger question is though, what in the world is happening at the Escapist?

Fox12:
Wow, really? First Extra Credits, now this? Why couldn't you take Moviebob? Nobody likes Moviebob!

I do.

When he covers nerd type stuff and isn't shoving his politics down our throats.

So ... This is Gamer Gates fualt then? Wonderful, slowly but surely ruining things for every one ...

Welp, one less reason to hang out on the site I guess.

why couldn't it have been movie bob that left, i would be happy to see him go, and it would be funny to watch him flounder trying to get people to give him money on Patreon.

kinda sad to see you go, seeing you taking game companies to task about their ethics were quite entertaining.

edit-

Just watched the video, i see... its about ethics in video games journalism

LifeCharacter:

Dogstile:

Tanis:
So, another victim of the 'tolerant' GG movement...?

And how exactly is this their fault?

When a group's most "successful" actions are spamming advertisers of websites that said mean things about them, people are perfectly capable of seeing it for what it is, a threat and an attempt to silence people. I doubt Jim Fucking Sterling Son likes either of those things.

But somehow I bet you thought that the lynch mob that got that poor bastard at Mozilla shit canned was just aces. Also, I bet you were on board with a similar mob of frothing thin skinned morons getting the show of two fellas on HGTV pulled. I would also wager dollars to dog shit that you were probably cheering on the pack of angry liberals who did their damnedest to get the guy from Duck Dynasty yanked from television and dropped by the companies he promotes. Finally, I can't say I'd horribly surprised to hear that you were, once again, waving pom poms and cheering for the people who pressured many advertisers to pull ads from Rush Limbaugh's show after he called out that college girl who wanted the American people to pony up the tab for birth control so she could screw indiscriminately.

The point in all this being that it's pretty fucking hilarious to hear a liberal cry about this sort of thing when using a mob to cost people jobs/advertisers is one of their oldest and most used tactics. Groups like the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Disagreement wield this sort of tactic like a sword as do many other leftist organizations. Meanwhile Media Matters exists for damn near the sole purpose of combing through every word people like Limbaugh/Hannity/Beck/O'Rieley say on air in the hopes of finding/hearing something to they can use to get those men pulled or failing that use to pressure advertisers into dropping them. Suffice to say liberals can't get to silencing people they disagree with quickly enough and they have demonstrated there is very little they won't stoop to in order to do so.

Also, freedom of speech isn't freedom from consequence. That sound familiar at all? Somehow I bet it does.

Was this about Michael Rooker's ass?

This was about Michael Rooker's ass, wasn't it?

Thank god for him.

So long, Jim. I've really enjoyed your contributions to this site.

What???? *Reads twitter posts*............................. Yup fuck it I am out. Canceling my prem membership and leaving. I know I am one of many but feel free to join me folks. This is just too much. I used to go to this site 10+ times a day reading through content. But the flagrant strawman pushing of GG as being all about sexism and the obvious push the higher ups have had to make the content creators talk about it.... Nope if Jim is out I am out too.

I said my goodbyes already in the last Jimquisition but it bears repeating.

Goodbye you fabulous man.

Lunar Templar:
So ... This is Gamer Gates fualt then? Wonderful, slowly but surely ruining things for every one ...

Welp, one less reason to hang out on the site I guess.

I'm not sure how you connected those two dots together. Unless you're talking about how GamerGate supporters exposed him for being complicit in the blacklisting of another games journalist, which doesn't really seem to be grounds for him to leave the Escapist.

Super Not Cosmo:
But somehow I bet you thought that the lynch mob that got that poor bastard at Mozilla shit canned was just aces. Also, I bet you were on board with a similar mob of frothing thin skinned morons getting the show of two fellas on HGTV pulled. I would also wager dollars to dog shit that you were probably cheering on the pack of angry liberals who did their damnedest to get the guy from Duck Dynasty yanked from television and dropped by the companies he promotes. Finally I can't say I'd horribly surprised to hear that you were, once again, waving pom poms and cheering for the people who pressured many advertisers to pull ads from Rush Limbaughs show after he called that college girl who wanted the American people to pony up for birth control so she could screw indiscriminately. The point in all this being that it's pretty fucking hilarious to hear a liberal cry about this sort of thing when using a mob to cost people jobs/advertisers is one of their oldest and most used tactics.

Well, there's numerous differences between an organized movement to contact the advertisers of any website that criticizes you, and people expressing disapproval over, in order: funding a hate movement, preaching bigotry supporting anti-gay legislation and protesting mosques for being non-Christian, comparing homosexuality to bestiality terrorism and drunks, and calling a woman a slut because she advocates for birth control like every other logical human being.

I mean, I know your post history so I'm not surprised you don't think highly of people who disagree with bigotry, but how about you stop pretending vocal disagreement and boycott is the same as spamming advertisers because someone (accused them of, because GamerGate has the literacy of a toddler) criticized some whiny tantrum of a movement or didn't allow them to do anything and everything they wanted.

And, just for fun, I do hope that you've made your condemnation for a movement that does things you obviously don't agree with clear. I wouldn't want you to be seen as a hypocrite who only opposes things like the above listed only when they're about certain things.

Andy Shandy:
I imagine it's not Jim and the Escapist, but Jim and Alexander Macris and the higher ups at Defy, if Susan's comments are anything to go by (I miss her too D: )

Not too surprised, honestly. Jim's stance has always been fairly critical of corporate culture, so I figured he worked on this behind the scenes for a couple months and checked to see if he could viably strike it out on his own. It's what anyone would want, honestly.

As for Mrs. Arendt, isn't she at Polygon, now?

I like Jim but... this is a pretty sour and salty website. I hope that begins to change with him gone.

I'd also like to congratulate him on becoming a really rich person once those Patreon checks start coming through.

Goodbye Good sir! May your future be brighter than ever! i will follow you on youtube or patreon. on other thoughts if yahtzee or miracle of sound leaves im outa here.

Dogstile:
Oh right, telling advertisers that the people who promote their product are being dicks is the same as silencing. Riiiiiiiight.

So what would you call holding the threat of contacting advertisers if you criticize or don't keep a cesspool of a thread open indefinitely? I'm open to suggestions for better words.

RaikuFA:

Fox12:
Wow, really? First Extra Credits, now this? Why couldn't you take Moviebob? Nobody likes Moviebob!

I do.

When he covers nerd type stuff and isn't shoving his politics down our throats.

I used to be fond of him, but he just became so petty and vindictive. I've seen his twitter feed, and he has a rather ugly personality when he gets irritated (which is often, apparently). He also tends to give bad films good reviews based solely on their political message, which has a negative impact on my ability to trust hid judgement of artistic quality. A film that delivers a message I support in a clumsy manner is a bad movie. Bob doesn't seem to understand that.

It's funny, I started off hating Jim and loving Bob, but that's clearly changed quite a lot. I'll miss Sterling. I am curious about what went down, though. It can't just be Gamer gate, right?

Super Not Cosmo:
Snip

I really love how you are pulling these assumptions out of thin air based on two statements from this person. I'd argue about the difference between insulting an entire minority and insulting a small 'movement' in the gaming industry, but for some reason I don't think you'd be open to changing your mind (That's not to say I agree with those tactics, but there is a far more valid reason behind them).

And before you say 'of stop being an <expletive> you liberal trash', I'm a moderate.

OT: I loved Jimquisition, and I'll miss that part of the Escapist, but if Jim's moving on then it's his decision. I don't know if it was the right one or not, only time will tell, but he made his choice, and I can respect that.

Well. Shit.

I didn't always agree with everything Sterling had to say- though a good 90% of the time, I did, and he was always worth hearing out. I genuinely don't think the Escapist will be the same without him, and there's absolutely no one I can imagine filling his shoes.

Good luck, Jimothy, wherever your path takes you from here. I'll try to keep up.

vagabondwillsmile:

So... yeah - I'm just going to call outright, complete BS on Jim being contemptuous of his audience.

I honestly think this is a case of "he's not saying things I like/saying things I don't like."

The larger question is though, what in the world is happening at the Escapist?

I'm not sure there's a bigger picture, necessarily. I mean, the captured tweets from one of these threads may--and I do mean may--indicate something sinister, but it's quite possible Jim was just uncomfortable with his current position and nothing else. I mean, people make it sound like there's been some sort of mass exodus, but they're citing folks like Extra Credits from four years ago, and Susan Arendt, who left over a year ago.

I've worked papers before--albeit not particularly fancy ones--and I've seen worse turnover than this without eyes batting.

It's possible there's a bigger story, but based on what we have to go on, anything further wouldn't be all that different from the guy who said Jim was spiting his audience.

IamLEAM1983:

Andy Shandy:
I imagine it's not Jim and the Escapist, but Jim and Alexander Macris and the higher ups at Defy, if Susan's comments are anything to go by (I miss her too D: )

Not too surprised, honestly. Jim's stance has always been fairly critical of corporate culture, so I figured he worked on this behind the scenes for a couple months and checked to see if he could viably strike it out on his own. It's what anyone would want, honestly.

As for Mrs. Arendt, isn't she at Polygon, now?

Yeah, it'll definitely be interesting to see what the Jimquistion will be like without him potentially having to hold back.

And Susan isn't Polygon, but at Joystiq. Her husband, (and also former EIC here) Russ Pitts, was at Polygon but left fairly recently.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here