Did you find this helpful?
Yes
48.8% (1202)
48.8% (1202)
No
3.7% (91)
3.7% (91)
Never put up irrelevant options, it's stupid and means that you won't get the results you created the poll for.
45.6% (1123)
45.6% (1123)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
The Banhammer and You: A User's Guide to the Forums

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 24 NEXT

new_age_reject:
A well structured, informative thread.
However, am I understanding correctly that once you have received moderator beatings in say your first 200 posts, it then becomes impossible for you to get the Morpheus badge even if you don't get a beating from the mods when you are past 1200 posts?

This is true. It's assumed knowledge that you read the guidelines before you post (which is, sadly, mostly untrue), so any moderator wrath you receive in your first couple of posts (you should get a mod warning first though) will prevent you from getting any of the aforementioned badges.

Godofgame67:

Simalacrum:
its the Escapists edition of the Wasteland survival guide! :D

oh by the way, one thing i've noticed is that people who put the first posts on Yahtzee's video - related threads (the official "thread to go with the video" stuff) tend to be on probabtion or suspended... yet when I check why they've been put on probabtion/suspension (maybe even ban?), a lot of the time the posts are completely innocent... they just happen to be some of the first posts on a yahtzee-video thread.

does anyone know why this is? just a curiosity

Check the post times and compare them with the time the video was put up. If the video was put up at 10:00 and the post is at 10:02 they watched a 5 minute video in two minutes. That can't be done so they posted before watching the video witch is not allowed. I asked the same question a few months back.

aaaah ok thats fair enough yah.
thankies ^^

Lord Krunk:

new_age_reject:
A well structured, informative thread.
However, am I understanding correctly that once you have received moderator beatings in say your first 200 posts, it then becomes impossible for you to get the Morpheus badge even if you don't get a beating from the mods when you are past 1200 posts?

This is true. It's assumed knowledge that you read the guidelines before you post (which is, sadly, mostly untrue), so any moderator wrath you receive in your first couple of posts (you should get a mod warning first though) will prevent you from getting any of the aforementioned badges.

OK that's fair enough.
I was hoping there are second chances but ah well, 'tis just a badge :P

RiftRift:
lol wut?

Eggo much? That joke's been done once allready, and it made him draw the final line towards perma-ban. Please don't try to be funny like that.

new_age_reject:

OK that's fair enough.

Seriously? That's the requirements? Never ever have one mod wraith, even though it's your second post? Damn ... I better follow Kukuls example .. Never post while having consumed alchoholic beverages .. Wich means I can't post any more today -.-

Well put.
I wonder how different the Escapist society would be if we went back to the olden days of punishment, the one-size fits all:
"User was banned 7 Days for This Post"
-and then a mod-added reason why in Bold.

Insuch, users should be gracious for the numerous warnings they have now.

Daye.04:

RiftRift:
lol wut?

Eggo much? That joke's been done once allready, and it made him draw the final line towards perma-ban. Please don't try to be funny like that.

new_age_reject:

OK that's fair enough.

Seriously? That's the requirements? Never ever have one mod wraith, even though it's your second post? Damn ... I better follow Kukuls example .. Never post while having consumed alchoholic beverages .. Wich means I can't post any more today -.-

Haha, I was having an 'off day' and I said something really stupid so fair dos lol.

How about "Trolling for Bans", what you get for even joking about BanHammer strikes? I got that one...

new_age-Reject:
Haha, I was having an 'off day' and I said something really stupid so fair dos lol.

Not .. Supposed .. To .. Post while influe.. Ah, what the hell. I probably won't get moderator wraith for this anyway.

How .. Off day? Like pissed, or not so natural feelings?
How really stupid? Like not very clever to say, or really stupid?
Come on, you'll be helpoing out fellow Escapists to know what side alleys not to enter in favor of Neo!

I hadn't been on the forums for a few months and I came back recently to find Eggo permabanned for posting "lol what".

Seems a little harsh to me. He was a great (long-term) poster. But then I don't make the rules.

I guess this place is ever more strict than it was before...

harhol:
I hadn't been on the forums for a few months and I came back recently to find Eggo permabanned for posting "lol what".

Seems a little harsh to me. He was a great (long-term) poster. But then I don't make the rules.

I guess this place is ever more strict than it was before...

As I recall, that was the straw that broke the camel's back. He'd apparently been acting very silly: that was just the post where the mods got fed up with him. The same thing happened to Richard Groovy Pants: he got banned on a post that didn't quite make sense, but the mod in that case left a comment explaining that Richard had been making several people more than uncomfortable with certain comments. It wasn't that post in particular that got him banned, but rather other actions on the forum.

I don't know what happened myself in Eggo's case: that's just what I had heard.

you can saw what you want here just don't start flaming someone.

scotth266:
As I recall...

Ahhh right, thanks for the clarification. I thought there must be more to it than just one post.

Didn't realise Richard Groovy Pants had been permabanned as well.

=(

Well thank you for a great read that spells out the Mod's methods of punishment. I really hope that some certain posters read this maybe we can move towards becoming one of the best forums to just chat and have a fun discussion without some idiot spamming the thread

Useful, I suppose. I doubt most people will care to read it.

Stand up against the maaaaan! No, I have nothing against moderators and on these forums they're doing a good job, even though a little bit harsh on some occasions... I guess I just oppose moderation. Kudos if you got white text.

Krunk to my knowledge the post timer resets.. I got banned and 200 posts and a week later I got the Trinity Badge

Daye.04:
Come on, you'll be helpoing out fellow Escapists to know what side alleys not to enter in favor of Neo!

As in posting the sort of comment that you know will get banned.

See my reply to SimuLord's post for a better explanation.

smallharmlesskitten:
Krunk to my knowledge the post timer resets.. I got banned and 200 posts and a week later I got the Trinity Badge

I thought that too, until the staff officially declared that they were unattainable after any form of moderator wrath is inflicted. Maybe you had made 100 posts, then got banned? I don't know how you managed to get it.

UPDATE: Included 'BB Code Abuse' point under the 'Probations' subtopic. Thanks to scotth266 for the idea.

Lord Krunk:
UPDATE: Included 'BB Code Abuse' point under the 'Probations' subtopic. Thanks to scotth266 for the idea.

Krunk.. i distinctly remember getting banned after 1000 posts or so.... ban time running out, making more posts and then getting the badge...

very useful, thanks for that.

Thank you, this was a great help!

smallharmlesskitten:

Lord Krunk:

Krunk.. i distinctly remember getting banned after 1000 posts or so.... ban time running out, making more posts and then getting the badge...

I think I've worked out what it is.

You must have gotten 100 posts before the badges appeared, right? Considering the fact that you've been around almost as long as me.

If you made 100 posts without getting banned beforehand, you would have automatically achieved Trinity upon its release, no matter if you got banned after those first 100 posts.

Would explain why you haven't got Morpheus as well.

Just to point out that your banned post example, the infamous 'Eggo's Lol What?' post was one that had many people asking what he was banned for.

After all, it certainly isn't obvious. Maybe putting a more definitive example would make it clearer to the readers of this most excellent thread?

ravens_nest:
Just to point out that your banned post example, the infamous 'Eggo's Lol What?' post was one that had many people asking what he was banned for.

After all, it certainly isn't obvious. Maybe putting a more definitive example would make it clearer to the readers of this most excellent thread?

Didn't the mods clarify by editing the post to explain that it wasn't the "lol wut" that got him banned, it was the huge amounts of complaints they had received regarding him? Or was that Richard Groovy Pants' ban? As to the Neo badge, I think the whole point of it is to be hard to obtain. I really do love the fact that the badges require a lack of moderator wrath, since it makes them a far more accurate barometer of someone's contribution to the forums than post count alone.

Thankyou, I found this very useful. I haven't been a member for a very long time, so it's nice to have the rules laid out with examples to clarify them for everyone. Great work :D

Whoohoo! I didn't realize that this had been stickied till just now. I is one happy panda!

Seriously: Good work Krunk. It's not every day that a thread is so good it gets the sticky treatment!

Susan Arendt:

CuddlyCombine:

sorry user name taken.:

CuddlyCombine:
Helpful, but I'm still willing to bet that hardly anybody's going to read it.

i did >.>

Anyone serious about the forums will (i.e. myself, you). Badge miners and postcounting freaks probably won't, or give it a skim at best.

Good. I hope they don't. It'll make it just that much easier for us to notice them and weed them out. We're not really interested in keeping postcount whores as part of our community.

Well you shouldn't tempt them with shiny badges then Susan :P

Sparrow Tag:

Susan Arendt:

CuddlyCombine:

sorry user name taken.:

CuddlyCombine:
Helpful, but I'm still willing to bet that hardly anybody's going to read it.

i did >.>

Anyone serious about the forums will (i.e. myself, you). Badge miners and postcounting freaks probably won't, or give it a skim at best.

Good. I hope they don't. It'll make it just that much easier for us to notice them and weed them out. We're not really interested in keeping postcount whores as part of our community.

Well you shouldn't tempt them with shiny badges then Susan :P

And punish us for their really bad behavior? I'd rather not.

Daye.04:

new_age-Reject:

Not .. Supposed .. To .. Post while influe.. Ah, what the hell. I probably won't get moderator wraith for this anyway.

I was having an angry day.
Which means I tend to snap at people when they haven't even done anything to irritate me.
I got all up my own ass about the whole valentines day thing and I slated the whole love hearts thing we got for no reason which was out of place.

new_age_reject:

I was having an angry day.
Which means I tend to snap at people when they haven't even done anything to irritate me.
I got all up my own ass about the whole valentines day thing and I slated the whole love hearts thing we got for no reason which was out of place.

Ah. I guess it was kinda fair, then =P
This is exactly the reason I try to avoid posting if I'm up late ..

An excellent post, Krunk.

ravens_nest:

I'll seriously consider it; I was hoping people would categorise his post under 'Tier 1 Repeat Offenses', but it seems a few didn't.

Lord Krunk:

• Repeat Threads: I'm sure that many users (particularly the newer ones) are sick of the term 'use the Search Button' being flung around on their new thread. Well, there's a good reason for that: your thread isn't the first of its kind, and it certainly won't be the last. On these forums, it is unspoken law that Thread Necroing > Repeat Threads, but many new users don't know that and put up whatever was in the back of their heads. Some repeat threads do get past the bar, however, but my advice would still be to search for a thread resembling your idea first (between you and me, use Google; the Escapist's search feature is renowned for not being as great as it should be).
  • Actually... I was curious about that point myself, a while back, and made a poll regarding it. The consensus was that people would prefer to see a repeat thread rather than a 3-4 month old one be resurrected. Naturally, different people had different lines (I don't recall anyone saying less than a month before they'd prefer a repeat), but for the most part, that statement is incorrect.

Though, the poll was relatively close, to be sure. I can't blame you for saying that. Just a touch of factual inaccuracy... ;)

Ahh, that was very nice to read, very good Krunk.
    I tend to stick to the rule of "Don't piss of the moderators." Believe it or not but I was a troll on a different site, but then I saw the light.
    It's never fun seeing people getting banned, suspended, or put on probation. But if they break the rules the mods stick to their guns and take them down, and I respect that.
    Well that was my 2 cents on that subject.
    Cheers!

Very helpful but wait does that mean i wont get the Morphius badge :'(

You guys know how to manage a forum. ;)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 24 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
    With Facebook:Login With Facebook
    or
    Username:  
    Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
    Register With Facebook