The Escapist User's Guide to Posting Commands and How to do Fancy Code Stuff

Pages 1 2 NEXT

User's Guide to Posting Commands and how to do fancy code stuff

Probably everything you need to know to have the best posting experience in the Escapist forums.

What is this?:
In case you didn't know (so most of you new users), there has been a previous guide before this: Click here to see it

But why would you? This one is shinier, warmer, tastier - you get the idea. Some commands are missing from the other and I feel like it can look a bit better. Go to page 2 for the fancy code stuff.

Basic Text Alterations

Bold
[b]Bold[/b]

Italics
[i]Italics[/i]

Underlined
[u]Underlined[/u]

Strike
[s]Strike[/s]

Code
[code]Code[/code]

Text Size Alterations

Biggest

[h1]Biggest[/h1]

Bigger

[h2]Bigger[/h2]

Big

[h3]Big[/h3]

Normal Size
Normal Size

Normal Size Small
Normal [small]Small[/small]

Normal Size sup
Normal [sup]sup[/sup]

Normal Size sub
Normal [sub]sub[/sub]

The "sup" and "sub" commands can be stacked and the text will be made even smaller. This is 2 "sup" commands This is 3 "sub" commands

Colours!

Leaf
[color=green]Leaf[/color]

Fire
[color=red]Fire[/color]

etc.

Clicks and Links

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/
[link]http://www.escapistmagazine.com/[/link]

The Escapist's homepage
[link=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/]The Escapist's homepage[/link]

Aerosteam
[user]Aerosteam[/user]

Encase you don't know... [1]
Encase you don't know... [footnote]This is a footnote.[/footnote]

Countdown Timers

The timer does not work in the preview.

04/17/2018 00:00 AM GMT
[timer=04/17/2017 00:00 AM GMT]

Tables

The Gamer Matrix:Don't get excitedGet excited
Game is goodPleasantly surprisedAll is well
Game is arseSmug self satisfactionSuicide

[table border="1" cellpadding="1"]
[tr]
[td]The Gamer Matrix:[/td]
[td]Don't get excited[/td]
[td]Get excited[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Game is good[/td]
[td]Pleasantly surprised[/td]
[td]All is well[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Game is arse[/td]
[td]Smug self satisfaction[/td]
[td]Suicide[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Lists

• Renegade is red
  • Paragon is blue
  • Assuming control
  • This hurts you
  • [li]Renegade is red[/li]
    [li]Paragon is blue[/li]
    [li]Assuming control[/li]
    [li]This hurts you[/li]

1. You
    2. Can
    3. Have
    4. Numbers

[ol]
    [li]You[/li]
    [li]Can[/li]
    [li]Have[/li]
    [li]Numbers[/li]
    [/ol]

Quotes and Spoilers

A quote is just a box

[quote]A quote is just a box[/quote]

Title here:
    A quote is just a box

[quote=Title here]A quote is just a box[/quote]

[spoiler]Use this to stop spoiling people.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Title here. Also click here.]Use this to stop spoiling people.[/spoiler]

Image Inserting and Resizing

The original image has the size of 238 x 238. The numbers in the code (amount of pixels) can be changed to anything - making the image as wide, thin, flat or tall as you want

[img]http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/3/36/132Ditto.png[/img]

[img height=300]http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/3/36/132Ditto.png[/img]

[img height=150 width=238]http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/3/36/132Ditto.png[/img]

[img height=238 width=150]http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/3/36/132Ditto.png[/img]

YouTube Embedding

This video's url is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qsWFFuYZYI

[youtube=4qsWFFuYZYI]

[youtube=4qsWFFuYZYI start=68 end=95]

The numbers equal to the seconds which have passed. If you want to only have one custom beginning or ending simply remove the start=# to make the start normal or remove the end=# to make the ending normal.

[youtube=4qsWFFuYZYI height=400 width=600]

Other Embedding

Tweets don't appear like this in the preview.

[tweet t=http://twitter.com/Xbox/status/336894130485616640]

[bandcamp=EmbeddedPlayer/album=2841054981]

[soundcloud=181860992]

[vine=OrD3uMlwThE]

[vimeo=105306451]

[kickstarter=talesofgames/barkley-2-an-rpg-sequel-to-barkley-shut-up-and-jam]

List of more you can use:

[dailymotion=]
    [bliptv=]
    [yahoo=]
    [twitch=]

In-house Escapist videos:

[video=]

Magic: The Gathering Cards

You can hover your cursor over the text to see the card. Can't do this in the preview.

Wyluli Wolf
    [mtg_card=Wyluli Wolf]

Repositioning

Left
    [left]Left[/left]

Right
    [right]Right[/right]

Center
    [center]Center[/center]

And lastly...

You can put these thin lines easily by putting in [hr].
    [1] This is a footnote.

I'm not sure who's in charge, but we really should have a noparse tag add to these boards. All the unnecessary color tags to break the other tags so they're visible makes me sad.

Aerosteam:
    Code
    [code]Code[/code]

And, what does "Code" do exactly?

It might be useful to write their names next to the colors in black, since they're difficult to see against a white(ish) back round.

I forgot, there's also the MtG card tag; [mtg_card=Wyluli Wolf] = Wyluli Wolf

Good job :) The one thing I'd point out is that it should be "in case" not "encase."

Sorry, I wouldn't normally point out spelling errors, but seeing as this is meant to be a guide and you wanted it to look good...

Top job buddy. Pass go and collect 200

Really easy to follow and well laid out. Ive been here for years and youve even jogged my memory of a few things id forgotten.

This needs to be stickied *bookmarked in the mean time*

Aerosteam:
    because this probably won't get stickied.

Why not?

The way I see it, this thread is a lot more useful than some of the other stickied threads they've got here.

Good list, the only thing I'd add is the function to autoplay YouTube videos

For example:
    [youtube=Uy8t4a6EaK8&autoplay=1]

Nice guide, I have to say this one is more complete and nicer-looking than any of the ones currently linked in the stickied threads, I hope a replacement is in order. Here's a few more obscure pieces of code you might like to add:

For example, how to embed videos from sites other than YouTube:

[ dailymotion=]
    [ vimeo=]
    [ bliptv=]
    [ twitch=]
    [ yahoo=]
    [ soundcloud=]
    [ vine=]

And in-house Escapist videos are embedded with:

[ video=]

And also a countdown timer:

03/31/2020 9:29 AM UTC

Which is coded as:

(timer=03/31/2020 9:29 AM UTC)

but with square brackets instead as round ones. Got to make sure you follow the right format or it breaks. It can look pretty nice in combination with other tags, for example:

03/31/2020 9:29 AM UTC

TopazFusion:

Hazy992:

Actually, I'd rather that not be added, because it's fucking annoying and I'd rather people didn't do it.

(I've been telling the Tech Team for ages to disable that nonsense, but they never have.)

I think it can have its uses. Maybe a good compromise would be that it only works in spoiler boxes or something?

Going into the thread: Ready to contribute magic skills.

In the thread: Well fuck me that's everything you could ever want.

Wait ... there's a command called 'strong'? I never knew this despite knowing almost everything there is to know about Escapist commands. Guess you learn something everyday whenever it may be lol.

OT: Nice job Aero. This will certainly help new users out and remind us oldies about how things work when we forget something. Now I will be using the 'strong' command when I want to spice things up... but it'll have to wait.

Might as well bookmark it too if I do more forum games or get into RPing again.

A couple more additions, here's a simple table:

UsersJoJoAerosteam
    Number of posts105032744
    Join Date31 March 201022 September 2011

Just quote me to see how it's done, it's a little complicated to explain. Basically, [ td ][ /td ] for each entry, a [ tr ][ /tr ] for whenever you want to start a new row and [ table ][ /table ] to enclose the whole thing. There may be a way to make lines between the entries, I haven't found that yet.

There's also a way to see Magic the Gathering cards if you hover your mouse over the below code, such as follows:

Chandra Ablaze

Using this code, without the space obviously:

[ mtg_card=Chandra Ablaze]

There's an [li] tag as well which adds bullet points, like this:

• Words
  • More words
  • Note how you have to add a new tag for every line. Another random cool thing is this timer tag:

Aug 22, 2020 13:37

...and I'm fairly certain I saw someone post a table solely with BB code once, but I have no idea how.

SirBryghtside:
    (Snip).

Woah...cool!

OT: Thanks for the thread, this is great stuff!

Hazy992:

TopazFusion:

Hazy992:

Actually, I'd rather that not be added, because it's fucking annoying and I'd rather people didn't do it.

(I've been telling the Tech Team for ages to disable that nonsense, but they never have.)

I think it can have its uses. Maybe a good compromise would be that it only works in spoiler boxes or something?

Saulkar:
    Oh come on! What is the worst that can happen if you let the good natured netizens of the Escapist autoplay youtube videos outside of a spoiler box?

Which is funny because there are autoplay advertising videos on this page right now, and they're not inside spoiler boxes.

SirBryghtside:
    There's an [li] tag as well which adds bullet points, like this:

• Words
  • More words
  • Note how you have to add a new tag for every line.

This actually comes from standard HTML, where you can also use the ol and ul tags to specify whether they should be numbered or bullet points.

1. Here's
    2. an
    3. example.
    • And
    • bullet
      • You can even nest lists!

1. You can also have numbered lists nested in bullet points...

• ...and vice versa!
      • Isn't HTML fun?
    • But that's getting off-topic.

There are a couple of these markup threads about already with some cool tricks. I'll post them here if I manage to dig up any cool ones. In the meantime, here is a complete list of all possible colours. I think most of these work.

Hazy992:

It's okay when in spoilers, but while it is recommended to do so not everyone posts videos in spoilers.

IceForce:

Saulkar:
    Oh come on! What is the worst that can happen if you let the good natured netizens of the Escapist autoplay youtube videos outside of a spoiler box?

Which is funny because there are autoplay advertising videos on this page right now, and they're not inside spoiler boxes.

Those things piss me off so much. I have not had them in a while but somehow they are always louder than anything else, from youtube to VLC.

Saulkar:
    (Snip).

A man after my own heart! :)

TopazFusion:
    (Snip).

...And if it's in spoilers, like we get told all embedded videos are supposed to be - in the CoC that people don't seem to read? I use auto-play sometimes because otherwise, you see the title and a freeze-frame from the video, which can spoil a certain part. I don't use it when, to my knowledge, the spoilered video starts off being very loud. This is an example of judicious use:

Do you see, Topaz? Do you see?

...Human judgement must be exercised. By the way, do you want people to flag posts that have lots of large, unspoilered images in them or lots of unspoilered videos in them, or mention them in the Mod team chat?...Because I don't recall anyone mentioning what to do in that situation either and I'd rather ask now to avoid realizing, several months from now, that I've apparently been doing it wrong for several months.

Saulkar:

IceForce:

Saulkar:

Those things piss me off so much. I have not had them in a while but somehow they are always louder than anything else, from youtube to VLC.

If they auto-play with sound, screenshot them, report them in the Tech Team chat and they'll try and get the advertising branch to replace them with something less obnoxious. People in the Pub Club and on the staff won't see them unless they log out.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/chat/Tech-Team

...That also applies to ads that expand to cover a large part of the screen when you mouse over them.

Barbas:

Saulkar:

IceForce:

If they auto-play with sound, screenshot them, report them in the Tech Team chat and they'll try and get the advertising branch to replace them with something less obnoxious. People in the Pub Club and on the staff won't see them unless they log out.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/chat/Tech-Team

...That also applies to ads that expand to cover a large part of the screen when you mouse over them.

DOH! One would think I would know that by now, but I do not, but now I do, that should mean something, I guess.

It is only a matter of time before I exercise my right as an Escapist netizen to bring the hammer down on adverts obnoxious website worms. BWAHAHAHAHA!

So okay, where is the OP? They haven't seemed to have taken any of the suggestions on board, (including a rather glaring spelling error).

IceForce:
    So okay, where is the OP? They haven't seemed to have taken any of the suggestions on board, (including a rather glaring spelling error).

Dude...he went offline to do offline people things!

Barbas:
    ...And if it's in spoilers, like we get told all embedded videos are supposed to be - in the CoC that people don't seem to read? I use auto-play sometimes because otherwise, you see the title and a freeze-frame from the video, which can spoil a certain part.

If you're that concerned about it, then why not just provide a link to the YouTube video? Not everything requires fancy-pants embeds.

By the way, do you want people to flag posts that have lots of large, unspoilered images in them or lots of unspoilered videos in them, or mention them in the Mod team chat?...Because I don't recall anyone mentioning what to do in that situation either and I'd rather ask now to avoid realizing, several months from now, that I've apparently been doing it wrong for several months.

It's explicitly stated in the CoC and is pretty obvious to see what's wrong in the report queue, so report it.

madwarper:
    I forgot, there's also the MtG card tag; [mtg_card=Wyluli Wolf] = Wyluli Wolf

Worth noting that this embed - along with some others that I can't remember right now - don't work inside spoilers.

Barbas:
    I use auto-play sometimes because otherwise, you see the title and a freeze-frame from the video, which can spoil a certain part.

You must understand though, some people like to see what the video actually is before it starts playing. Autoplay doesn't allow you to do this.

So I can see where people are coming from, who are against autoplay videos.

IceForce:
    (Snip).

Zombie_Fish:
    (Snip).

I try to use a direct link for convenience's sake, at least in the cases where the point of the video isn't given away in the title. I can see why it would be annoying, especially when it has adverts playing at the beginning; it's actually quite like the difference between an auto-playing advert with sound and a silent one, and a lot of the potential annoyance depends on the video you are embedding, so I try not to go overboard with posting commands like that one.

madwarper:
    What does "Code" do exactly?

It makes the text which will actually appear in the post look like what it did when typing it in the text box.

madwarper:
    It might be useful to write their names next to the colors in black, since they're difficult to see against a white(ish) back round.

I don't really see a point in including certain colours in the list anyway, it's not like anyone would use them properly.

IceForce:

Aerosteam:
    because this probably won't get stickied.

Why not?

The way I see it, this thread is a lot more useful than some of the other stickied threads they've got here.

Because it's just very unlikely and all the other posting command guides were never stickied. Probably might want to take it up to the Tech Team (I will later) if you think this thread deserves to get stickied. Action with this sort of stuff doesn't seem to ever be taken unless a good amount of people without the authority tell the people who do.

Caramel Frappe:
    Wait ... there's a command called 'strong'?

Yeah. Weird, no? What's even weirder is that strong doesn't seen to be any different from bold. See:
    Aerosteam is the greatest.

IceForce:

Hey, I went to bed right after posting this guide!

TopazFusion:

Aerosteam:
    Yeah. Weird, no? What's even weirder is that strong doesn't seen to be any different from bold. See:

So, why include it at all?
    If you're going to include that, you also have to include all the alternate tags for all the other things too.

i / em
    s / strike
    img / image
    link / url

Oh, I didn't know these ones, I'll add them.

TopazFusion:

Aerosteam:
    Oh, I didn't know these ones, I'll add them.

Well, actually I was thinking it would be best to do the opposite, and remove any duplicates.

Otherwise you risk making the guide more complicated than it needs to be.

Yeah you're probably right.

At first I thought they were maybe different in some way, since I never knew bold was sometimes called strong.

Just posting to say this guide has turned out to be super amazing.

Never knew we had a god dang timer countdown command. That's just wicked sick overall.
    Thanks Aero for teaching me something new that I didn't know. I'm definitely bookmarking this.

i wonder if it works for Yu Gay Oh Cards.

test:

[yugioh_card=Pineapple Blast]

Edit: Guess not.

Fancy Code Stuff

[center][link=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/362.386923-100-000th-view-wins][img]http://i.imgur.com/KVOfREq.gif[/img][/link][/center]

RAINBOWS

[h1][color=red]R[/color][color=blue]A[/color][color=orange]I[/color][color=purple]N[/color][color=green]B[/color][color=pink]O[/color][color=yellow]W[/color][color=brown]S[/color] [color=grey][/color][/h1]

Burning Brightly
    Was featured in an Escapist Community Spotlight

[quote][left][img_inline src=http://cdn.escapistmagazine.com/media/global/badges/32/ef00f1deae19fd4e2e6a53b0354bc7a2.png][/left][b]Burning Brightly[/b]
    Was featured in an Escapist Community Spotlight[/quote]

If you want to embed YouTube videos without any annotations, add this command to the end of the YouTube code:

&iv_load_policy=3

Barbas:
    If you want to embed YouTube videos without any annotations, add this command to the end of the YouTube code:

&iv_load_policy=3

Not sure why there's a command for that, since you can turn off annotations in the video pretty easily anyway. And most videos posted in these forums (not counting the very common "Post [blank] song" threads) are very short ones like this:

Aerosteam:

Barbas:

&iv_load_policy=3

Not sure why there's a command for that, since you can turn off annotations in the video pretty easily anyway. And most videos posted in these forums (not counting the very common "Post [blank] song" threads) are very short ones like this:

Eh, makes it a little less faffy. Some of those videos do have transparent annotations plastered on the videos, so when people click on them to pause them, they get redirected. Like stealth adverts.

Basically, use in dire situations!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
    With Facebook:Login With Facebook
    or
    Username:  
    Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
    Register With Facebook
    Register With Facebook
    or