Change in Moderation

Pages PREV 1 2

Zombie_Fish:

As a former member of the X-Me [...]n [...] I can [...] confirm [...] these allegations.

I've seen all I need to see

The Almighty Aardvark:

Zombie_Fish:

As a former member of the X-Me [...]n [...] I can [...] confirm [...] these allegations.

I've seen all I need to see

Damnit! You've seen through my unbreakable co- I mean, what one earth are you talking about? *awkward laughter*

Note to mods: They know too much. Get rid of them ASAP.

IceForce:

Elfgore:
Geez, people. It's not like I died or anything, just decided to join the ranks of the plebs common user again. I ain't going nowhere.

To be fair though, the majority of ex-mods do in fact leave the site for good. In fact, I can think of only about one or two ex-mods who are still here.

To be even more fair, most mods seem to leave the site the moment they become mods. Probably half the people that were listed as mods were people I'd never seen post or haven't seen post since they became mods. TimeLord in particular used to be super active, but pretty much vanished from the forums the moment he was promoted.

OT: No notice about DigitalSushi? They've been listed as a mod since forever, but have also recently been dropped from the listing.

More people taking the job you couldn't get me to do at gunpoint. Good luck, kids! You'll need it!

It can be a thankless job at times. That's for sure.

n0e:

Hey!

For what it's worth:

I don't actually post in the group, but I do like to pop into the Moderation Usergroup to keep an eye on any developments and such. Needless to say, I have a ton of respect for the underappreciated workload that is managed by the moderation team as a whole.
I'm not too familiar with the usernames of Community Managers that arrived before ffronw (Cool guy. It was a pleasant surprise to have a CM that actually spoke to us.), but I must say that it's extremely pleasant to have another CM that is not only active, but also directly engages with the community.

We've developed a minor case of separation anxiety over the years, so don't go running away from us! :D

---

Otherwise, to our most welcome additions to the club:

n0e:

Oh indeed, it's time consuming and people are never happy with you, I can see why that would burn out mods.

Though it does say a lot about the character of this forum's mods that they stick around for so long despite the pressure.

Rip Van Rabbit:

We've developed a minor case of separation anxiety over the years, so don't go running away from us! :D

Welcome welcome! I hope the weapons don't have to get brought out too much but we appreciate the times you have to. Some people will not be talked down on the internet into posting in a respectful tone.

Let us know when you've found all the Escapist in-jokes. :P

I feel like this song's works in this situation...

Anyway, as long as we can sometimes see your faces in the public eye, then I cannot say that there will ever be a true goodbye...

Wow, i'm really late to the party ... sorry about that! *ahem*

It's great to have you FileTrekker and Nemmerle! If you guys want new Avatars by any chance, do hit me up. I'll be happy to make some for you :) otherwise hope the website treats your fairly of all people!

Elfgore and Katherine Kerensky, you have my sympathy. Whether it's life or on here (or both) that's gotten to you, I apologize about that. I remember the first year or so was rough for me simply because people didn't like me being super nice lol. But besides that, you guys were extraordinary moderators and I hope to still see you around regardless of your positions!

Drathnoxis:

IceForce:

Elfgore:
Geez, people. It's not like I died or anything, just decided to join the ranks of the plebs common user again. I ain't going nowhere.

To be fair though, the majority of ex-mods do in fact leave the site for good. In fact, I can think of only about one or two ex-mods who are still here.

To be even more fair, most mods seem to leave the site the moment they become mods. Probably half the people that were listed as mods were people I'd never seen post or haven't seen post since they became mods. TimeLord in particular used to be super active, but pretty much vanished from the forums the moment he was promoted.

OT: No notice about DigitalSushi? They've been listed as a mod since forever, but have also recently been dropped from the listing.

Yep. From a mods perspective though:-

The problem with moderation is that you have to do a fair bit of non posting work, so if you only have a set amount of free time available after IRL stuff (like work etc) then as soon as you become a mod then like half or more of your time then goes on dealing with moderation stuff, which doesn't leave you much time left to do more normal stuff like posting.

And you generally do tend to stay as a mod once your promoted up until the time you don't have the time anymore, so after you admit that to yourself and resign then you tend not to have the time to post either, hence people just vanishing when they quit as mods.

Freyr:

Yep. From a mods perspective though:-

The problem with moderation is that you have to do a fair bit of non posting work, so if you only have a set amount of free time available after IRL stuff (like work etc) then as soon as you become a mod then like half or more of your time then goes on dealing with moderation stuff, which doesn't leave you much time left to do more normal stuff like posting.

And you generally do tend to stay as a mod once your promoted up until the time you don't have the time anymore, so after you admit that to yourself and resign then you tend not to have the time to post either, hence people just vanishing when they quit as mods.

I can understand that. It's a lot of work being a mod, and I probably wouldn't post at all if I was one either. It's just kind of too bad that most of the people chosen as mods were the most active users, so when they vanish from the site because of the extra workload it's a bit of the detriment to the forums.

Then again, almost all of the active users from around 5 years ago are gone anyway, so I guess being a mod or not doesn't really have much effect on the end result.

Drathnoxis:
I can understand that. It's a lot of work being a mod, and I probably wouldn't post at all if I was one either. It's just kind of too bad that most of the people chosen as mods were the most active users, so when they vanish from the site because of the extra workload it's a bit of the detriment to the forums.

Yeah, I've had exactly the same problem myself when doing running a site in the modding community. Because the most respected and mature people there tend to be the modders, they were the people who tended to get promoted- which was harmful to actual modding happenning.

Drathnoxis:

Then again, almost all of the active users from around 5 years ago are gone anyway, so I guess being a mod or not doesn't really have much effect on the end result.

Well, you are right that it pulls some of the best most active users out of the forums when they are promoted, but yeah- ultimately if people stop posting because they run out of time IRL then it tends to happen regardless of if your a mod or not.

- so in short being a mod isin't really a subtle form of death sentance. ;) I can see why it looks that way to people who aren't mods though.

Are we down to just Freyr and Sky? Barbas and Nemmerle are clearly gone, and the moderation is getting a bit ragged around the edges, sorry to say.

Lacedaemonius:
Are we down to just Freyr and Sky? Barbas and Nemmerle are clearly gone, and the moderation is getting a bit ragged around the edges, sorry to say.

How would you know which mods are here or not?

Wait, so Katherine is still a mod on my screen.

I even messaged her while reporting a post, but she said that she didn't moderate a certain forum. However, the table at the bottom of this page says that she moderates "All Forums".

What's the real story? Is she a mod or isn't she? Is the table accurate or isn't it?

Does the Escapist need to fix something?

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here