Nintendo Switch becomes the fastest selling videogame console in US History

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Chimpzy:

Yoshi178:
which isn't much granted but it's still more than simply just making it prettier like Sony did with Last of Us.

I don't think it really fair to compare the two.

i think it's totally fair.

if he's going to shit on Nintendo for "rehashing" old games, then it's only fair that his Beloved Sony should also be criticized for putting out the Rehashstation 4. you never hear him moaning about Crash, or Medievil etc being Remastered.

Nintendo, not just remasters but remakes an entire 26 year old game boy game though? how bloody dare they!!!!!!!!!!

Yoshi178:

Chimpzy:

Yoshi178:
which isn't much granted but it's still more than simply just making it prettier like Sony did with Last of Us.

if he's going to shit on Nintendo for "rehashing" old games, then it's only fair that his Beloved Sony should also be criticized for putting out the Rehashstation 4. you never hear him moaning about Crash, or Medievil etc being Remastered.

Nintendo, not just remasters but remakes an entire 26 year old game boy game though? how bloody dare they!!!!!!!!!!

LMAO, the logic on display.

Someone wanting a NEW Metroid game when it's been 8 years since the last one is completely different than getting a 1-year old game released on a new platform.

Phoenixmgs:

Yoshi178:

Chimpzy:

LMAO, the logic on display.

Someone wanting a NEW Metroid game when it's been 8 years since the last one is completely different than getting a 1-year old game released on a new platform.

LMAO! That's still less time than it's been since we've had a new Medievil Game. Medievil 2 came out in 2000 and Medievil on the Rehashstation 4 is the SECOND time they've decided to rehash the first Medievil.

How bout give us a new game instead Sony?

And Nintendo already told him he's getting a new Metroid Prime game. Metroid Prime 4 is confirmed to be in development for the Switch, which is a HELL of a lot more than Sony can say for Medievil or Crash Bandicoot.

Y'know, I could swear we've been here before...

There's a world of difference between Samus Returns and Last of Us. Samus Returns is a full-fledged remake, where you rebuild a game from the ground up. It's to Return of Samus what Resident Evil REmake is to the original Resident Evil game. The Last of Us is more of a re-release. It's the equivalent of a book getting another print run, only while the book gets a more snazzy cover, the game gets a graphical improvement. You can technically re-release a game in its original graphical state (e.g. Return of Samus on the e-shop), but I'd hardly call a slight graphical improvement a "remake" in the same vein.

Yoshi178:
And Nintendo already told him he's getting a new Metroid Prime game. Metroid Prime 4 is confirmed to be in development for the Switch, which is a HELL of a lot more than Sony can say for Medievil or Crash Bandicoot.

Nintendo couldn't even be bothered to release a Metroid for the WiiU...

Sony doesn't own the rights to Crash Bandicoot...

Since when is Medievil one of Sony's big 3 franchises like Metroid is for Nintendo...?

Plus, Sony lets franchises end without milking them forever...

Phoenixmgs:

Since when is Medievil one of Sony's big 3 franchises like Metroid is for Nintendo...?

Medievil was a popular PS1 franchise back in the 90's. why does it need to be one of the biggest Sony franchise's? it's still a rehash they're putting out on the PS4.

also FYI, as much as i love Metroid, sales wise it's nowhere as big as other franchise's like Pokemon, Splatoon and Animal Crossing.

Phoenixmgs:

Yeah that's Clearly why we saw the Last of them....oh wait

Phoenixmgs:

I have to question at this point if Metroid can be considered a "big three" franchise for Nintendo. Mario, Zelda, sure. But there's Nintendo IPs that have definately eclipsed Metroid in popularity and sales at this point (Pokemon, Fire Emblem, etc.)

Phoenixmgs:

-Advance Wars
-F-Zero
-Golden Sun
-Mother
-StarTropics

Nintendo doesn't exactly lack IPs that have ended, for better or worse (those are just ones off the top of my head).

That said, I wouldn't attribute this to artistic integrity for either Sony or Nintendo. An IP will generally get made until it's not longer profitable to do so. Sure, from what I understand Mother ended pretty well, but when the last Golden Sun game ended on a cliffhanger 8 years ago...yeah.

Yoshi178:

Medievil was a popular PS1 franchise back in the 90's.

Say what?

I played MediEvil back in the day, but when was it popular? It had two games plus one remake, and I've never heard anyone discuss it until...well, these threads.

Yoshi178:

also FYI, as much as i love Metroid, sales wise it's nowhere as big as other franchise's like Pokemon, Splatoon and Animal Crossing.

Splatoon?

Animal Farm, maybe, but Splatoon? A franchise with two games? Yeah...no. I "like," rather than "love" Metroid, but I don't think anyone could argue that Splatoon is a larger franchise than it.

Yoshi178:

I think a series needs a bit more than one sequel to enter "milking" territory. If that counts, then by definition, Splatoon is also being "milked."

Hawki:

Splatoon?

Animal Farm, maybe, but Splatoon? A franchise with two games? Yeah...no. I "like," rather than "love" Metroid, but I don't think anyone could argue that Splatoon is a larger franchise than it.

both Splatoon 1 and Spla2oon have sold more than any metroid game has. the Highest selling Metroid game of all time was Metroid Prime with 2.82 million sales. Splatoon 2 has sold 2.85 million copies so far and the original Splatoon sold 4.65 million copies.....sooooo yeah i would definitely call Splatoon a larger franchise than Metroid. Metroid has just been around longer.

Aiddon:

Commanderfantasy:

kenu12345:
I honestly don't understand why you get your knickers so much in a twist or get such a rager bout Nintendo. Like no one was really that hard on it. I at most mocked how bored the translator was on their reveal and criticized their their third party line up and possibilities being a portable system and that's bout here and i only said one of those here. Most things I seen been long those lines.

That would be my big question as well. I don't understand the quick to anger responses out of him when anyone dogs Nintendo in any way. I'm thinking some kind of autism. Or a disproportionate response trigger in the medula-oblongata.

Because they're dumping on something he likes and it's a perfectly normal response to counter. Furthermore, the logic used to dump on Nintendo is either A) Cripplingly flawed B) uses obsolete data or C) trying to project their opinion as the universal consensus. I don't know what it is, but for some reason Nintendo being praised just bugs some people and quite frankly those people need to find new problems to be concerned about.

It's cherry picked information, with the full picture or context being left out. It's the same thing people use to praise Apple products.

Nintendo has been the least popular home console since Super NES. Meaning they've lost the home market share the moment Sony and Microsoft stepped in to compete with them. The ONLY market they remained top dog was the Handheld market. The reason for this is because the Handheld market is the only market that their first party games can support them for a prolonged period of time. Nintendo has a history of treating 3rd party developers poorly and souring the relationship by making it harder for 3rd party devs to get their games on the Nintendo system.

I think the Wii U and even the Wii was a huge eye opener for Nintendo and they seem to have realized that they cannot live on a constant flow of Mario games. Because when you look at the Wii or the Wii U, the systems really sustained themselves (barely) on a trickle of Mario titles, from the Galaxy's to the "NEW" series. But there was a great lack of anything else on the system. And the attachment rates on those systems shows it.

The Switch may very well end up being a great console. But it cannot rely on Nintendo properties alone. NO console can survive on 1st party titles. It's the combination of 1st and 3rd party support that truly makes a system stand out. The current market is showing that PLaystation 4 is killing it in every aspect. Sony not only has great 1st party titles, but it gets all the 3rd party releases AND has a fucking VR option. When you way the pros and cons of the three major systems on the market, playstation 4 is the obvious choice, because it has the most diverse line-up of gameplay options.

The Switch has (already) 2 Mario and 1 Zelda right now. These three games are fantastic, but they are short lived for most people. Into 2018 what do people have to look forward to on the Switch? Bayonetta, another 1st party series now? Sure Yoshi will say pokemon, fire emblem, metroid prime, etc. But NONE of those titles are confirmed for 2018 and surely aren't coming in the next couple of months. Which means what is there really for 2018? Is the current Switch line-up supposed to last another 6 months, until new shit comes out towards the end of the summer (MAYBE)?

Look I have a Switch, I got it at launch. I played Zelda. Played Mario+rabids. And most recently I played Mario Odyssey. Then I haven't touched my Switch in two months now, and looking at the next few months of release dates....I have no reason to pick my Switch up against until at least the end of Feburary and that's only IF I want to REPLAY the bayonetta games.

And a note to Yoshi. I'm not vouching for Sony and saying the when they rerelease games like Last of Us, or Shadow of the Collosus, that is okay to do when it isn't okay for Nintendo. But those Sony remasters are coming WITH a huge string of other original titles. If you pretend that PC gaming does exsist, which for console players is usually the case statistically, then Sony released more exclusive titles in 2017, than total non-arcade games in the Switches entire library.

Now you could make the argument that Sony was already established in 2017 and it was barely the Switches launch year. Okay. But even if you compare Launch titles between them the PS4 had 24 titles and the Switch had 13. So no matter how you look at it, you can see how Nintendo is lacking and falling behind the rest of the industry.

To Nintendo's credit, they are in fact making changes and it does look like things will improve in terms of game support for the Switch. But until we start seeing real 3rd party games, launching in the same release window as all other platforms, then I do not think Nintendo's Switch will have lasting power. It's selling because of novelty and because of Zelda and Mario, but there isn't going to be a Zelda and Mario game this year, and possibly not even the next. So we have to see what the next stir the Switch can come up with.

Yoshi178:

Phoenixmgs:

You clearly do not understand what "milking" a franchise means. I mean you could have at LEAST put Uncharted the Lost Legacy there. By linking a game that is literally getting it's 2nd game FIVE YEARS after the first game, it is simply clear that you don't know what you are talking about and are simply grasping at straws in order to prove a point that doesn't even make sense in the first place.

It's a good console.
No shitty gimmicks apart from the gyroscope which can be helpful if used in moderation.
Maybe having one of the best zeldas and marios of all time on it right out of the gate helps too.

Commanderfantasy:

Nintendo has been the least popular home console since Super NES.

Wii says Hi!

Commanderfantasy:

You clearly do not understand what "milking" a franchise means.

oh you think Sony is going to stop at part II?

Cute.

Yoshi178:
[

both Splatoon 1 and Spla2oon have sold more than any metroid game has. the Highest selling Metroid game of all time was Metroid Prime with 2.82 million sales. Splatoon 2 has sold 2.85 million copies so far and the original Splatoon sold 4.65 million copies.....sooooo yeah i would definitely call Splatoon a larger franchise than Metroid. Metroid has just been around longer.[/quote]

We're entering semantics, but I wouldn't call that evidence of a "larger franchise." By that math, the Splatoon series has sold 7.6 million copies. The Metroid franchise has sold well over 14 million copies. It's therefore larger in terms of no. of installments and no. of sales, not to mention more EU material. You could cite the figures as Splatoon being a more accessible franchise, but that's about it.

Hawki:

We're entering semantics, but I wouldn't call that evidence of a "larger franchise." By that math, the Splatoon series has sold 7.6 million copies. The Metroid franchise has sold well over 14 million copies. It's therefore larger in terms of no. of installments and no. of sales, not to mention more EU material. You could cite the figures as Splatoon being a more accessible franchise, but that's about it.

like i said, the Metroid series has been around longer.

when looking at INDIVIDUAL sales, Splatoon is definitely more popular than Metroid as the only Metroid game that's ever come close to matching sales with Splatoon was Metroid Prime. that's it.

Metroid is definitely much more Niche than Splatoon is.

Why do you guys talk to Yoshi, you know he/she isn't going to change their opinion so you might as well just ignore them.

Yoshi178:

Commanderfantasy:

Wii says Hi!

Yep the super popular wii. The system that everybody bought, but nobody played. My grandma has a wii for some reason.

But if the Wii was so popular, then surely people would have been after the Wii U as well.

Oh wait...they weren't.

The Wii sold off a well marketed gimmick that appealed to people who didn't play games. This created an anomaly in system sales. However none of this translated into game sales. (except wii sports which came with most wii systems) And it certainly didn't carry a wave of success to the following system the Wii U.

Which is funny, because isn't that exactly how the Switch is turning out so far? Think about it. It's a well marketed gimmick system, (portability) that has some great 1st party titles and a luke-warm at best 3rd party supporting thus far. I wouldn't be surprised to see most people who have a Switch end up barely playing the system save for maybe once a year when a good 1st party title is released. Then it will gather dust the rest of the time.

Commanderfantasy:
Which is funny, because isn't that exactly how the Switch is turning out so far? Think about it. It's a well marketed gimmick system, (portability) that has some great 1st party titles and a luke-warm at best 3rd party supporting thus far. I wouldn't be surprised to see most people who have a Switch end up barely playing the system save for maybe once a year when a good 1st party title is released. Then it will gather dust the rest of the time.

Even funnier is that both the Wii and Switch "launched" a Zelda game when it was for the previous system as well...

Phoenixmgs:

Commanderfantasy:

Even funnier is that both the Wii and Switch "launched" a Zelda game when it was for the previous system as well...

Zelda certainly seems to be a big factor when it comes to nintendo consoles. I wonder what would have happened to the Wii U if Breath of the Wild came out a year earlier.

Commanderfantasy:

Yep the super popular wii. The system that everybody bought, but nobody played.

What are you basing that on? That's a pretty bizarre and unlikely claim, so I'd expect some stats. Several Wii games are in the highest selling games of all time-- were people also inexplicably purchasing numerous games for their consoles that they don't play, too?

Commanderfantasy:

But if the Wii was so popular, then surely people would have been after the Wii U as well.

Oh wait...they weren't.

That doesn't follow.

Silvanus:

Commanderfantasy:

Yep the super popular wii. The system that everybody bought, but nobody played.

What are you basing that on? That's a pretty bizarre and unlikely claim, so I'd expect some stats. Several Wii games are in the highest selling games of all time-- were people also inexplicably purchasing numerous games for their consoles that they don't play, too?

Commanderfantasy:

Oh wait...they weren't.

That doesn't follow.

Here is a list of the best selling games on the Wii:

Game Title Copies Sold
Mario Kart Wii 34.26 Million
New Super Mario Bros. Wii 27.88 Million
Wii Fit 22.67 Million
Wii Fit Plus 20.86 Million
Wii Play 28.02 Million
Wii Sports 81.99 Million
Wii Sports Resort 31.89 Million

Note a few things here. These numbers count games included in bundles sold with hardware. Wii fit, and Wii sports were both pack in titles, thus the extremely high numbers. Then you look at a STEEP downslide in other games. The Wii sold 101 million units. Yet it only had an attach rate of 5.5. That's insanely low. That means in the consoles LIFETIME, people who owned the console only owned 5.5 games for the system. And when you factor that over 80% of wii's came with a game. That means people only added 4 games to their collection during the system's ENTIRE lifecycle.

http://www.businessinsider.com/2008/11/xbox-360-owners-buy-more-games-than-wii-ps3-fans

A business insider article shows that the xbox 360 had an attached rate in the 6+ range. Which means that not only did the Xbox 360 sell less units overall (aprox 85 million lifetime) but sold more games to more users. Especially when you consider that the 360 didn't sell a lot of pack in games.

That's only an average of course, and based on quick numbers. But let's say that there was a 2 game difference between the two consoles. That means Xbox 360 sold 20% more games, and generated 20% more revenue than the Wii, despite selling 20 million fewer lifetime units.

In the end I guess it doesn't matter what people do with the console after purchase right? I mean if i sell you a car, I don't give a fuck how much you end up driving it, because you already bought the car from me. However if I sold you a car, and you ended up not liking the car, how likely are you to buy another car from me?

Has the Switch been a success? Financially, yes. That's pretty clear.

But when you look back on previous systems, do you remember the system, or do you remember the games? Games are what make a system stand the test of time, not the system itself. The Wii's era was a failure when it comes to games. The Switch is off to a good start, but let's not all cheer from the heavens until we've seen that Nintendo can sustain the wave.

Commanderfantasy:

Game Title Copies Sold
Wii Fit 22.67 Million
Wii Play 28.02 Million
Wii Sports 81.99 Million

Note a few things here. These numbers count games included in bundles sold with hardware. Wii fit, and Wii sports were both pack in titles, thus the extremely high numbers. Then you look at a STEEP downslide in other games. The Wii sold 101 million units. Yet it only had an attach rate of 5.5. That's insanely low. That means in the consoles LIFETIME, people who owned the console only owned 5.5 games for the system. And when you factor that over 80% of wii's came with a game. That means people only added 4 games to their collection during the system's ENTIRE lifecycle.

http://www.businessinsider.com/2008/11/xbox-360-owners-buy-more-games-than-wii-ps3-fans

A business insider article shows that the xbox 360 had an attached rate in the 6+ range. Which means that not only did the Xbox 360 sell less units overall (aprox 85 million lifetime) but sold more games to more users. Especially when you consider that the 360 didn't sell a lot of pack in games.

Firstly: You keep talking about the "entire lifecycle", but that article clearly states the data comes from only the first 23 months.

Secondly, your own source shows higher software sales for the Wii than the PS3 in the first 23 months of its life. The PS3 has a 5.3 rate.

And, yes, many of these games came in bundles. Bundles also existed for PS3 and XBox.

This article doesn't prove a single one of the things you said.

Commanderfantasy:

In the end I guess it doesn't matter what people do with the console after purchase right? I mean if i sell you a car, I don't give a fuck how much you end up driving it, because you already bought the car from me. However if I sold you a car, and you ended up not liking the car, how likely are you to buy another car from me?

But when you look back on previous systems, do you remember the system, or do you remember the games? Games are what make a system stand the test of time, not the system itself. The Wii's era was a failure when it comes to games. The Switch is off to a good start, but let's not all cheer from the heavens until we've seen that Nintendo can sustain the wave.

You're arguing that the Wii will have disappointed customers, and put them off buying future Nintendo consoles... a line or so before mentioning that the next-but-one Nintendo console is selling extremely well (and that's aside from the 3DS and its other iterations also selling extremely well), so clearly it didn't put people off buying Nintendo. These arguments don't really hold up to much scrutiny.

Silvanus:

Commanderfantasy:

Game Title Copies Sold
Wii Fit 22.67 Million
Wii Play 28.02 Million
Wii Sports 81.99 Million

Your own source shows higher software sales for the Wii than the PS3 in the first 23 months of its life.

And, yes, many of these games came in bundles. Bundles also existed for PS3 and XBox.

Commanderfantasy:

You're arguing that the Wii will have disappointed customers, and put them off buying future Nintendo consoles... a line or so before mentioning that the next-but-one Nintendo console is selling extremely well (and that's aside from the 3DS and its other iterations also selling extremely well), so clearly it didn't put people off buying Nintendo. These arguments don't really hold up to much scrutiny.

Ahh but you are forgetting something. The Zelda title.

A good major game released at the right time can do wonders for a console. I don't nessesscarilly think that the Wii was poor enough to put people off on the wii u. Instead the Wii U merely didn't have any games.

The Xbox 1 is suffering a similar fate to the Wii U, but to a lesser degree. You see the Xbone doesn't have a killer exclusive ap and that is obviously hurting the system. However Xbone is still getting almost all the 3rd party support, so Xbox fans aren't completely shot in the foot if they adopted the system.

The point of what I am trying to put across, is that the Switch needs this support to put itself onto the same levels as the other major console players.

Additionally, I do believe that there are some other factors that are playing with the Switch's sales numbers. The ease of portability while playing full AAA games in HD graphic resolutions is a big part of it. The 3DS has been around for a long fucking time, and people are eager for an upgrade. The fact that the Switch can be mobile AND an in-home console is a gimmick that is hugely useful to many people, especially those in Japan where the mobile market is insane.

Commanderfantasy:

Ahh but you are forgetting something. The Zelda title.

A good major game released at the right time can do wonders for a console. I don't nessesscarilly think that the Wii was poor enough to put people off on the wii u. Instead the Wii U merely didn't have any games.

The Xbox 1 is suffering a similar fate to the Wii U, but to a lesser degree. You see the Xbone doesn't have a killer exclusive ap and that is obviously hurting the system. However Xbone is still getting almost all the 3rd party support, so Xbox fans aren't completely shot in the foot if they adopted the system.

The point of what I am trying to put across, is that the Switch needs this support to put itself onto the same levels as the other major console players.

Where was I forgetting Breath of the Wild? I was talking about the Wii. You appear to have entirely changed the subject.

If people can be quite easily convinced to buy a Switch-- and they clearly can-- that's a strong indication that the Wii didn't put people off buying Nintendo consoles, isn't it?

Commanderfantasy:

Additionally, I do believe that there are some other factors that are playing with the Switch's sales numbers. The ease of portability while playing full AAA games in HD graphic resolutions is a big part of it. The 3DS has been around for a long fucking time, and people are eager for an upgrade. The fact that the Switch can be mobile AND an in-home console is a gimmick that is hugely useful to many people, especially those in Japan where the mobile market is insane.

That's not "playing with the sales numbers". Those are just reasons for its popularity.

---

You've not addressed the bit about your article referring only to the first 23 months, or the bit about the same article showing lower software sales for the PS3 in the same timeframe.

Commanderfantasy:

Phoenixmgs:

Commanderfantasy:

Zelda certainly seems to be a big factor when it comes to nintendo consoles. I wonder what would have happened to the Wii U if Breath of the Wild came out a year earlier.

Switch would've gone without a killer app for 7 months. I imagine most people would wait for Mario Odyssey to buy the console.

Commanderfantasy:

Um, the Wii?

Yoshi178:
oh you think Sony is going to stop at part II?

Cute.

You're going into hypotheticals. If Last of Us 2 gets released this year, that means the franchise will have had two games over a five year period. Again, compare that to Splatoon, which has had two games over a two year period.

The Last of Us is a terrible example of a franchise that's being milked, not to mention that until Last of Us II is released, even calling it a "franchise" is dubious when it's had one game, one DLC, and one comic.

Yoshi178:

when looking at INDIVIDUAL sales, Splatoon is definitely more popular than Metroid as the only Metroid game that's ever come close to matching sales with Splatoon was Metroid Prime. that's it.

Metroid is definitely much more Niche than Splatoon is.

Which is a different argument. Saying a franchise is more niche doesn't mean that it's not "bigger."

PapaGreg096:
Why do you guys talk to Yoshi, you know he/she isn't going to change their opinion so you might as well just ignore them.

But it's fun. ^_^

Commanderfantasy:

Yep the super popular wii. The system that everybody bought, but nobody played. My grandma has a wii for some reason.

Oh wait...they weren't.

The Wii sold off a well marketed gimmick that appealed to people who didn't play games. This created an anomaly in system sales. However none of this translated into game sales. (except wii sports which came with most wii systems) And it certainly didn't carry a wave of success to the following system the Wii U.

Even if the Wii catered to a different audience, that doesn't mean the audience should be dismissed. The Wii clearly was a system seller. And I say that as someone who doesn't even like the Wii (motion controls can go die in a fire).

PapaGreg096:

Scientific curiosity mostly. I am honestly curious cause I am a fan of things but I can acknowledge their faults and not have to deflect, make hyperbolic or nonsensical points, or just in general angrily rant bout what I consider competition against what I like. Hell i am a huge infamous nerd but I can say how i think the newest one is not as well produced and how great Prototype is

PapaGreg096:

This Guy.

He gets it.

kenu12345:

PapaGreg096:

Scientific curiosity mostly. I am honestly curious cause I am a fan of things but I can acknowledge their faults and not have to deflect, make hyperbolic or nonsensical points, or just in general angrily rant bout what I consider competition against what I like. Hell i am a huge infamous nerd but I can say how i think the newest one is not as well produced and how great Prototype is

if you'd actually pay attention. you'd see me complain about Nintendo faults all the time. for example, i think it's complete bullshit that we STILL don't have a decent voice and party chat system for online on a Nintendo system after all this time.

instead no, people would just rather bitch and moan about stuff like the lack of 3rd Party support on Nintendo systems and they put all of the blame on Nintendo, when in actual fact, no it's not. it's mainly the 3rd Party developers fault for only putting half assed stuff on Nintendos system in the first place and then companies like EA have a massive whinge when stuff like their half assed ports of things like Mass Effect on the Wii U don't sell.

for example: Why would i buy mass effect 3 on Wii U when you ALREADY released the entire Mass Effect trilogy in a single collection on PS4 and Xbox One? that's EA's fault. not Nintendo's fault like people try to make it seem all the time.

Yoshi178:
instead no, people would just rather bitch and moan about stuff like the lack of 3rd Party support on Nintendo systems and they put all of the blame on Nintendo, when in actual fact, no it's not. it's mainly the 3rd Party developers fault for only putting half assed stuff on Nintendos system in the first place and then companies like EA have a massive whinge when stuff like their half assed ports of things like Mass Effect on the Wii U don't sell.

That's only true in Nintendo Land or maybe the History Channel...

Oh, cool. The question now is "can they keep the momentum up?" It's worth remembering that the Wii only dominated the market for about two years before the sales dropped off of a cliff. Or before that: the Dreamcast made bank in its first year but then hit rock bottom after the announcement of the PS2 (to the point that it failed to outsell the Saturn).

I could be underestimating it; there's always a chance it will be the next PS2 or DS. Nevertheless, I wouldn't go around saying that Nintendo is back to dominate the market so soon. Take it from someone who backed the Xbone in the lead-up to the eighth generation.

Phoenixmgs:

Roooiiight...tell me, when did the first Rachet & Clank come out? Or the first Uncharted game?

Rangaman:

Phoenixmgs:

Roooiiight...tell me, when did the first Rachet & Clank come out? Or the first Uncharted game?

Rachet & Clank is probably done, the last actual entry to the series was on PS3. And, Uncharted? Really? It was a new IP just last-gen and it's probably done too. Outside of Gran Turismo, that's basically a sports series, I don't think there's any franchises still going from PS1. And God of War and Killzone (probably done too) IIRC are the only franchises from PS2 that have entries this gen.

Compare that to Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Pokemon, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Fire Emblem, Star Fox, Animal Crossing, etc.

Phoenixmgs:

Rangaman:

Phoenixmgs:

Rachet & Clank is probably done

yeah definitely.

Phoenixmgs:

Rangaman:

Phoenixmgs:

Rachet & Clank is probably done, the last actual entry to the series was on PS3. And, Uncharted? Really? It was a new IP just last-gen and it's probably done too. Outside of Gran Turismo, that's basically a sports series, I don't think there's any franchises still going from PS1. And God of War and Killzone (probably done too) IIRC are the only franchises from PS2 that have entries this gen.

Compare that to Metroid etc.

wait, you were literally JUST complaining about how we haven't had enough Metroid

Phoenixmgs:

Nintendo couldn't even be bothered to release a Metroid for the WiiU...

And now you go and turn around and start being mad about how much Nintendo "Milks" the series?

Make up your bloody mind!!!!!!

Phoenixmgs:

Rachet & Clank is probably done, the last actual entry to the series was on PS3.

Not sure why the 2016 game doesn't count when it's a reboot. And it was released in 2016 - that's far too recent to declare the series "done."

Phoenixmgs:
And, Uncharted? Really? It was a new IP just last-gen and it's probably done too.

That's a bit more up in the air. I think it's fair to say that Naughty Dog is done with the series, but whether the series as a whole is concluded is another matter. There is a precedent for non-Naughty Dog Uncharted games after all (e.g. Golden Abyss).

Phoenixmgs:
Killzone (probably done too)

There was a leak awhile back that basically confirmed that Killzone 5 is in development.

Phoenixmgs:

Compare that to Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Pokemon, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Fire Emblem, Star Fox, Animal Crossing, etc.

Few points:

-Calling some of those franchises "milked" is really stretching it. Metroid's had 14 games released over a 32 year period. Star Fox has had 9 games released over a 25 year period. Those are really far away from entering the realm of what I'd call "milking."

-Again, I can point to the franchises that Nintendo has ended.

-But in either case, I think that's missing the point in both cases. A game series will generally keep on going as long as it's profitable to continue it. Sony, Nintendo, whoever, how many times does a series end because it was deemed to reach its natural conclusion, and how many times did it just peter out? Going back to Killzone for example, if Shadow Fall is indeed the last game in the series, is that because Shadow Fall was a grand conclusion to the overall storyline? Or would it be because Shadow Fall wasn't as critically successful as its predecessors, in a series where I think most would agree it peaked in Killzone 2?

Honestly, the whole "milking" argument is getting irksome from both you guys. It's assinine to claim that something like The Last of Us is "milked," but I think the same could be said for numerous IPs listed here.

No 3rd Party Support My Ass!!!!!!!!!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 54106)