Metroid,

Nope.

Yoshi178:
Pokemon,

Nope.

Yoshi178:
Smash Bros.

Brawl ruined Smash for me.

So yeah, nothing interesting here. Maybe you could have used the games I mentioned in my post as a guideline of things I like?

i'm not going to spoonfeed you suggestions. do your own bloody research.

your "guidelines" were pretty crappy anyway. all you said was that you want 5 very specific franchise's, 2 of which Nintendo doesn't even make in the first place, and that you avoid mario kirby and zelda.
i just gave you 7 suggestions and the only of those suggestions even relates to mario, kirby and zelda is Smash bros and that's a Nintendo all stars fighting game, not a specific mario/kirby/zelda game. and you're not even happy with that.

if you aren't interested in Nintendos first party offerings then that's fine. but don't bitch and moan when there is PLENTY of non mario, kirby and zelda stuff on the Switch, and if you don't care about that other stuff then that's your problem. deal with it.

Chimpzy:

Yoshi178:

Chimpzy:

What I really don't like about the Switch tho, is its Wifi reception. It's simply poor. I have to bring it within 3 meters of my router to get any reliable signal at all.

you sure it's the Switch wifi reception that's poor and not your router's signal that's problem?

personally my Switch and router are on opposite sides of the house with walls in between them.

Like i've said in my full post: every other device has no problem at all getting strong reception at longer ranges. It's just the Switch that has this issue. I basically have to be in the same room or I get zilch. A quick google search revealed poor wifi reception is apparently a common problem for many Switch owners.

my Switch and Xbox One are in my same tv cabinet and my laptop is even further away from my router than those consoles in my house is.

the only internet issue i've had with my Switch is i was able to connect online and do software updates and eshop purchase's fine. the only thing i had trouble with was matchmaking with other players. i called Nintendo customer support and they told me my issue was Routers security type setting which was NAT type B. once i contacted my router provider and had them provide me with a Static IP address to open up my NAT type for my Switch, i was able to play matches online with others perfectly fine.

is yours a similar issue?

Ghost Squad

The Virtua Cop Series

Time Crisis Series (who here remembers going up against Edgey and Tiger in Crisis Zone?)

Carnevil

The House of the Dead series (Holy Shit do I love House of the Dead Overkill)

This is what I'm waiting for to make the Nintendo Switch one of my top three favorite consoles of all time. The Revival of Light Gun games. Yes, they won't be strictly Light Guns, they'll relay on the Gyro function. But Splatoon, BoTW, and Resident Evil Revelations have shown that they can do it well. Nintendo would have to do relatively little work (in terms that they don't have to make resources other than a programming map to use the Gyro function instead of the IR blaster of Arcades Long Gone) to make a quick buck... which would make a lot of us light gun game fans happy.

Hell, I'd pay good money for a 3DO Interactive Multiplayer pack. Just for the cheese of playing with friends.

But yes, I'm very happy with my switch. This summer is going to have me in transport for almost every month. Planes, trains, and automobiles. And I'm going to be enjoying every second of the travel.

And thanks to the Hulu app, I just might watch something on a bigger screen than my phone. Never like the channels in planes.

Yoshi178:

Chimpzy:

Yoshi178:
you sure it's the Switch wifi reception that's poor and not your router's signal that's problem?

personally my Switch and router are on opposite sides of the house with walls in between them.

Like i've said in my full post: every other device has no problem at all getting strong reception at longer ranges. It's just the Switch that has this issue. I basically have to be in the same room or I get zilch. A quick google search revealed poor wifi reception is apparently a common problem for many Switch owners.

my Switch and Xbox One are in my same tv cabinet and my laptop is even further away from my router than those consoles in my house is.

the only internet issue i've had with my Switch is i was able to connect online and do software updates and eshop purchase's fine. the only thing i had trouble with was matchmaking with other players. i called Nintendo customer support and they told me my issue was Routers security type setting which was NAT type B. once i contacted my router provider and had them provide me with a Static IP address to open up my NAT type for my Switch, i was able to play matches online with others perfectly fine.

No, my problem is that my Switch fails to connect to my router at all, citing weak signal strenght as the reason. I've fiddled with my router settings, included trying a number of fixes posted online. None make any appreciable difference. I have to proverbially shove it up my router's ports to get a workable signal.

You can keep going on about how the fault might lie with my router if you want, but the evidence points otherwise, since, and I repeat, no other device I've ever had had any problem whatsoever getting a strong connection anywhere in my house. And that includes a number of other Nintendo products (DSi, Wii, 3DS XL). The sole exception is my New 3DS XL, which also has poor WIFi reception, but not as bad.

I could try getting a different router or maybe a wifi repeater, but fuck that. It's 2018. I should not have to jump through hoops to get that shit working, especially when nothing else I own requires it.

Chimpzy:

Yoshi178:

Chimpzy:

No, my problem is that my Switch fails to connect to my router at all, citing weak signal strenght as the reason. I've fiddled with my router settings, included trying a number of fixes posted online. None make any appreciable difference. I have to proverbially shove it up my router's ports to get a workable signal.

You can keep going on about how the fault might lie with my router if you want, but the evidence points otherwise, since, and I repeat, no other device I've ever had had any problem whatsoever getting a strong connection anywhere in my house. And that includes a number of other Nintendo products (DSi, Wii, 3DS XL). The sole exception is my New 3DS XL, which also has poor WIFi reception, but not as bad.

I could try getting a different router or maybe a wifi repeater, but fuck that. It's 2018. I should not have to jump through hoops to get that shit working, especially when nothing else I own requires it.

just seems strange to me that it's not working for you. the Switch should pick up a wifi signal with no trouble from my experience.

have you tried testing if it connects with like a mobile phone hotspot from the same distance? if that works then it's probably your router that's the problem but if it doesn't work then yeah it's probably your console and i would probably get your Switch replaced under warranty.

Yoshi178:
just seems strange to me that it's not working for you. the Switch should pick up a wifi signal with no trouble from my experience.

have you tried testing if it connects with like a mobile phone hotspot from the same distance? if that works then it's probably your router that's the problem but if it doesn't work then yeah it's probably your console and i would probably get your Switch replaced under warranty.

Yes, I have tried a phone hotspot. It's how I linked my Nintendo Account and downloaded a firmware update. Connection range is about the same. Actually a little longer if I angle the Switch and phone in a specific way.

It seems a sizeable number of other people have reported the same problem, so I suspect a portion of consoles have been shipped with a faulty WiFi antenna, or perhaps some design flaw is causing it to not work as intended. Gonna try hooking it up directly using a USB-ethernet adapter, see if that works. Not a real solution for me, but it'll at least rule out the culprit. If it is the console, I'll get a replacement. If the problem still persists, that may point to a larger issue.

Honestly, the WiFi is the only issue I have with the thing.

Yoshi178:

your "guidelines" were pretty crappy anyway. all you said was that you want 5 very specific franchise's, 2 of which Nintendo doesn't even make in the first place, and that you avoid mario kirby and zelda.
i just gave you 7 suggestions and the only of those suggestions even relates to mario, kirby and zelda is Smash bros and that's a Nintendo all stars fighting game, not a specific mario/kirby/zelda game. and you're not even happy with that.

if you aren't interested in Nintendos first party offerings then that's fine. but don't bitch and moan when there is PLENTY of non mario, kirby and zelda stuff on the Switch, and if you don't care about that other stuff then that's your problem. deal with it.

That's my favorite kind of complainer: the one who claims to want a Nintendo system as long as it has no Nintendo games. That's paradoxical

Aiddon:

Yoshi178:

That's my favorite kind of complainer: the one who claims to want a Nintendo system as long as it has no Nintendo games. That's paradoxical

Not at all - all the games Tanker cited used to be on Nintendo consoles. It's just that Nintendo hasn't had that kind of relationship with third parties since the N64, give or take.
And contrary to thus stated, Yoshi *was* spoonfeeding suggestions. It's just that they're not very good.

Johnny Novgorod:
Not at all - all the games Tanker cited used to be on Nintendo consoles. It's just that Nintendo hasn't had that kind of relationship with third parties since the N64, give or take.

And contrary to thus stated, Yoshi *was* spoonfeeding suggestions. It's just that they're not very good.

Yeah, I'm still of the opinion that Nintendo's last good console was the 'Cube and no one here has yet convinced me otherwise.

*sigh* If Fast RMX is the only decent game I could get for Switch(Sky Rogue aside, as I've already got that for PC with a shitload of mods), I might as well not bother.

American Tanker:

Johnny Novgorod:

Yeah, I'm still of the opinion that Nintendo's last good console was the 'Cube and no one here has yet convinced me otherwise.

Definitely its best system, second only to the SNES. If Capcom hadn't backstabbed it like that it'd be up there with the PS2 for me.

Johnny Novgorod:
*SNIP*

So, if I'm not going to use the Switch as a portable device, and I'm only going to be running indie games on it, is there any reason to get one?

Or should I just not bother?

American Tanker:

Johnny Novgorod:
*SNIP*

So, if I'm not going to use the Switch as a portable device, and I'm only going to be running indie games on it, is there any reason to get one?

Or should I just not bother?

I wouldn't but then nothing about the system appeals to me, I'm not into handheld gaming, the JoyCon looks like a pain and the ability to play anywhere (for a couple of hours) would be wasted on me. Also I feel like most of the multiplayer perks are geared towards the kind of school break/playground crowd that hasn't been part of my life for about 15-20 years now. So in your position, if I could run those indie games elsewhere, I wouldn't bother with the Switch. The only game that looks halfway appealing to me is Breath of the Wild and if I wanted to play it that badly I would've gotten it for the Wii U by now.

Johnny Novgorod:
*SNIP*

Outside of Fast RMX, then, there's nothing...

Right then, no Switch for me, here's hoping Nintendo can do something better with their next console.

Johnny Novgorod:

I don't see third parties putting Rogue Squadron or Goldeneye on PS4 or Xbox One either...

and FYI the Switch has way better 3rd party support than anything Nintendo's put out since the N64. if it's not the specfic 3rd party stuff that you want then like i said, that's your problem.

It would be, if I'd bought a Switch.

Yoshi178:
I don't see third parties putting Rogue Squadron or Goldeneye on PS4 or Xbox One either...

There is GoldenEye Reloaded on PS3 and 360, so there's that.

Rogue Squadron would have to go through Disney. Which, at this time, considering they've declared all of the old "Expanded Universe" stuff non-canon, isn't going to happen. That said, they still have the "Legends" label, which is where all that old stuff has gone, so I don't see why they haven't put out a Rogue Squadron remaster under the "Legends" label. But then, it would likely get made by EA, which means it would most likely suck.

Ok, the epic quest of "Chimpzy tries to get his Switch to connect to wifi" continues. I've hooked it up directly using a USB ethernet adapter, which worked without a hitch. Bitchin, guess it has a wonky wifi receiver after all. No way in hell am I going to run an ethernet cable all the way to my setu tho. Anyway, back into the dock you go, Switch, till the weekend comes around and I can replace you, hopefully for one that does a little better.

Then I notice something on the tv-screen out of the corner of my eye. The little mofo made a wireless connection. Only one bar and pretty slow, but useable.

American Tanker:

Yoshi178:

There is GoldenEye Reloaded on PS3 and 360, so there's that.

that's also on the Wii and Nintendo DS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GoldenEye_007_(2010_video_game)

but we aren't talking about what's on past consoles are we? we were just talking about the Switch, PS4 and Xbox One and Goldeneye isn't on PS4 or Xbox One either. have a whinge about Sony and Microsoft if you're going whinge about Nintendo not having a current Goldeneye game

American Tanker:
Rogue Squadron would have to go through Disney. Which, at this time, considering they've declared all of the old "Expanded Universe" stuff non-canon, isn't going to happen. That said, they still have the "Legends" label, which is where all that old stuff has gone, so I don't see why they haven't put out a Rogue Squadron remaster under the "Legends" label. But then, it would likely get made by EA, which means it would most likely suck.

so complain to Disney and EA then. like i said. Nintendo doesn't even own Star Wars just like Sony and Microsoft don't own Star Wars either.

Yoshi178:

The best sales pitch: "Nintendo Switch: do your own bloody research". Like, what the fuck is your problem!? Everyone has asked nicely, and you just became defensive and super-offended.

CaitSeith:

Yoshi178:

The best sales pitch: "Nintendo Switch: do your own bloody research". Like, what the fuck is your problem!? Everyone has asked nicely, and you just became defensive and super-offended.

oh i'm not offended.
but i'm not going to list the Switches entire catalogue of games trying to find SOMETHING that might interest him even when he's made it clear that there are only a few very specific games that he would ever be interested in playing on Switch.

ok i probably shouldn't have used the word "bloody". I'm Australian and that's common slang over here. sometimes i forget that particular word offends you Americans. so i'm sorry and apologise if it did offend. but that was simply just me trying to emphasize a point rather than anything else.
he can do his own research or he can keep being narrow minded and continue complaining on here about how bad the library is despite not even attempting to look through the catalogue himself to even know whats on there.
he didn't even realize that Fast RMX Racing was a thing until someone else pointed it out to him.

Yoshi178:
*SNIP*

So you completely missed the idea of a "guideline".

I don't want the exact games I'm listing, I just want games that are similar. Shooters and racing games, especially arcade racers that aren't Mario Kart.

Or are you just too dense to understand that concept?

American Tanker:
I just want games that are similar. Shooters and racing games, especially arcade racers that aren't Mario Kart.

Or are you just too dense to understand that concept?

that's hilarious to me because i already gave you Splatoon which fits that EXACT criteria.

it's a shooter and it also isn't mario kart. i also gave you metroid that also fits that criteria but that wasn't good enough for you either. there are other games which are shooters and racing games on the Switch as well.

here i'll get you started on looking all of them up:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=shooters+and+racing+games+on+the+switch

CaitSeith:

Yoshi178:

Yeah, I mentioned this earlier.

erttheking:

Honestly it's one of my favorite consoles, it just has three problems I'd like to see fixed.

#3: Less people downplaying or denying the Switch's flaws when someone brings them up. You all know what I'm talking about, it's a lot easier to enjoy something when you don't have to deal with this.

It's just...ugh.

CaitSeith:
The best sales pitch: "Nintendo Switch: do your own bloody research".

Iwata would of made this far more light hearted I feel

American Tanker:
I ask you one more time: What games out there for the Nintendo Switch are similar to F-Zero, Wave Race, 1080, Rogue Squadron or GoldenEye? If there are none, then just say so.

F-Zero - Fast RMX Racing

Waverace - Aqua Moto Racing Utopia

1080 Snowboarding - Steep

Star Wars Rogue Squadron - nothing. nor is that particular Star Wars series on PS4 or Xbone either

Goldeneye - nothing. nor is James Bond on PS4 or Xbone either.

Happy now?

for myself, I feel like im not buying nintendo anymore, I was deceive on the Wii and now the switch
Unfortunately after like 2 week of playing I got bored of it, finished zelda and for me its was a very "meh" experience, feel so empty and a lot of the stuff feel pointless, this is not a RPG, killing more monster or being stronger does nothing but make the game grindy and give no sense of challenge, and 90% of the shrine felt lackluster and not even challenging to some degree.
Anyway, I guess ill stick to PC :p

American Tanker:
What games out there for the Nintendo Switch are similar to F-Zero, Wave Race, 1080, Rogue Squadron or GoldenEye? If there are none, then just say so.

To be fair, no one is really offering games like that anymore.

Except F-Zero maybe, which has the aforementioned Fast RMX and there's a number of other games with similar high-speed, arcade-like sensibilities like Redout, Formula Fusion, BallisticNG, GRIP, Radial-G and Distance. Unfortunately, only Redout is on Switch, the rest is pretty much all PC only and most also lean more towards WipeOut than F-Zero.

I suppose Steep could stand in for 1080? It was announced for Switch, but there's been no news about a release date. There's versions for PS4, Xbox 1 and PC tho, should you be interested and own one of those systems.

The others tho, yeah, pickings are very slim. Can't think of anything released in the last few years similar to Rogue Leader (unless space combat sims like Elite: Dangerous count) or Goldeneye.

I should note Wave Race series producer Shinya Takahashi has very recently teased a possible return of the franchise. It's by no means a confirmation of a new game on Switch tho. Could just mean the Gamecube one could get a Virtual Console release, whenever that may come.

Siyano:
for myself, I feel like im not buying nintendo anymore, I was deceive on the Wii and now the switch
Unfortunately after like 2 week of playing I got bored of it, finished zelda and for me its was a very "meh" experience, feel so empty and a lot of the stuff feel pointless, this is not a RPG, killing more monster or being stronger does nothing but make the game grindy and give no sense of challenge, and 90% of the shrine felt lackluster and not even challenging to some degree.
Anyway, I guess ill stick to PC :p

finished zelda and for me its was a very "meh" experience, feel so empty and a lot of the stuff feel pointless this is not a RPG

Zelda was never an RPG in the first place. why were you expecting one when you played BOTW?

Yoshi178:
Zelda was never an RPG in the first place. why were you expecting one when you played BOTW?

Except Zelda II tho. A pretty basic action rpg, but a rpg nonetheless. The others not so much.

Although the first Zelda ('96) notably took some inspiration from early action rpgs like Dragon Slayer and Hydlide (both '84). Doesn't really make Zelda an rpg per se, depending on how broadly you define the genre, but there is certainly some DNA in there.

Chimpzy:

Yoshi178:

Except Zelda II tho. A pretty basic action rpg, but a rpg nonetheless. The others not so much.

Although the first Zelda ('96) notably took some inspiration from early action rpgs like Dragon Slayer and Hydlide (both '84). Doesn't really make Zelda an rpg per se, depending on how broadly you define the genre, but there is certainly some DNA in there.

Zelda has always been considered an Action-Adventure type Genre for the most part. i haven't played Zelda II but i do know it is pretty different to standard zelda games

Nintendo's RPG franchise franchise would be Xenoblade Chronicles

You know for a guy complaining about others "bitching and moaning"...

Yoshi178:
Zelda has always been considered an Action-Adventure type Genre.

I'm not denying either of those, only the claim that Zelda has never been an rpg, which it has been with Zelda II, complete with experience points and leveling. A very basic rpg, but it counts.

Chimpzy:

Yoshi178:
Zelda has always been considered an Action-Adventure type Genre.

I'm not denying either of those, only the claim that Zelda has never been an rpg, which it has been with Zelda II, complete with experience points and leveling. A very basic rpg, but it counts.

i wasn't disagreeing with you. there is always the exception.

Zelda's just never been known for being an RPG series is a better wording. for the most part it's always had very light RPG elements but the series is primarily action-adventure

Chimpzy:

American Tanker:
What games out there for the Nintendo Switch are similar to F-Zero, Wave Race, 1080, Rogue Squadron or GoldenEye? If there are none, then just say so.

To be fair, no one is really offering games like that anymore.

Except F-Zero maybe, which has the aforementioned Fast RMX and there's a number of other games with similar high-speed, arcade-like sensibilities like Redout, Formula Fusion, BallisticNG, GRIP, Radial-G and Distance. Unfortunately, only Redout is on Switch, the rest is pretty much all PC only and most also lean more towards WipeOut than F-Zero.

I suppose Steep could stand in for 1080? It was announced for Switch, but there's been no news about a release date. There's versions for PS4, Xbox 1 and PC tho, should you be interested and own one of those systems.

The others tho, yeah, pickings are very slim. Can't think of anything released in the last few years similar to Rogue Leader (unless space combat sims like Elite: Dangerous count) or Goldeneye.

I should note Wave Race series producer Shinya Takahashi has very recently teased a possible return of the franchise. It's by no means a confirmation of a new game on Switch tho. Could just mean the Gamecube one could get a Virtual Console release, whenever that may come.

Thanks. Guess I really am left in the cold here.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here