Hideo Kojima Clarifies Independent Status of Kojima Productions

Hideo Kojima Clarifies Independent Studio Status of Kojima Productions

Yesterday, after PlayStation Studios updated its website banner to include an image of Death Stranding, speculation increased that Sony might have acquired Kojima Productions. However, Hideo Kojima himself has spoken up to clarify this is not the case and that Kojima Productions will remain an independent studio. This means the door is still open for his games to appear on other platforms.

Recommended Videos

Nonetheless, the ties between Kojima Productions and PlayStation Studios continue to run deep. Sony notably published Death Stranding on PlayStation, while 505 Games published the PC version. The game isn’t likely to come to Xbox. However, Hideo Kojima is reportedly involved in a separate, unannounced game project with Xbox. And on top of all that, there was a report last year that Hideo Kojima is partnering with Konami to again make a new Silent Hill at Kojima Productions. That report indicated Sony Interactive Entertainment is funding the title.

If either one of those reports is accurate, then it’s probably a great thing that Kojima Productions will continue to be an independent studio. It has the ability to apply its creativity wherever it desires. Nonetheless, Sony does intend to keep acquiring studios, and hopefully it can keep its hands off of beloved multiplatform studios like Square Enix and Capcom.

related content
Read Article Stardew Valley Players Are Losing Their Minds Over a Disgusting New Drink Option
Stardew Valley Gross Drink 1.6 Update
Read Article MrBeast Says $5 Million Amazon Show Isn’t A Big Deal, Plans To Keep It “Stupid & Silly”
mr beast prime video show
Read Article Pokemon GO Player Contemplates Ending Relationship Over Weather Week Castform Challenge
Castform snowy pokemon go hell
Related Content
Read Article Stardew Valley Players Are Losing Their Minds Over a Disgusting New Drink Option
Stardew Valley Gross Drink 1.6 Update
Read Article MrBeast Says $5 Million Amazon Show Isn’t A Big Deal, Plans To Keep It “Stupid & Silly”
mr beast prime video show
Read Article Pokemon GO Player Contemplates Ending Relationship Over Weather Week Castform Challenge
Castform snowy pokemon go hell
Author
John Friscia
Former Managing Editor at The Escapist. I have been writing about video games since 2018 and editing writing on IT, project management, and video games for around a decade. I have an English degree, but Google was a more valuable learning resource. I taught English in South Korea for a year in 2018, and it was exponentially more fun than living in Pennsylvania. My major passions in life are SNES, Japanese RPGs, Berserk, and K-pop. I'm currently developing the game Boss Saga with my brother, which is guaranteed to change your life and you should buy it.