Games that truly frightened you.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Scrumpmonkey:

PayJ567:
STALKER SoC

X18 will give you night mares... I fucking hate X18 it's so fucking awesome but so fucking scary...

The Strelok underground was just as bad for me.

The ominous creeking of that revloving light, being ambushed by bandits then the constat booming of the Elecro anomaly. Then you hear the bloodsucker.... I honestly had given up on games scaring me shitless before that point but then you hear the roar of a 9 foot face sucking monster that can go invisible, drain all your blood and absorb more than a full clip of ammo. Not to mention run at about 15 miles an hour. The thing was so hyped up before hand in dialog too.

Oh and the controler, i snapped and that point and just ran like a little girl for the nearest ladder.... which was a fucking dummy! I actully had to pause the game and collect myself.

Yeah X18 is bad. It's not just the poltergist, it's those morbid singing pipes...

Any underground section is horrible on that game. So compelling but genuinely terrifying. I only go to X-18 or those places when I have just started the game. Never touch the places when I'm immerssed. Too scary.

Ravenholm was pretty intense and scary at some parts (screamy zombies...)
but my true fear will always be Shodan

*shudder*

I remember playing Resident Evil 4 and not being the least bit of afraid. But one time when i sliced open a jar and a snake came flying at my character, I freaked, fell back in my chair, and realized how stupid i was. Needless to say my friend was laughing at me.

The first time I played the library level on Halo 1 where you are introduced to the flood...I think I had to change underwear after that experience....and yeah Dead Space as well as Oblivion.

urgh76:
OoT the Shadow Temple, the only part of a game that has scared the shit out of me while playing at 11:00

*sniff* that game raped me.....

Those moaning humpy things scared the crap out of me as a kid

Furburt:
STALKER: SoC still gives me nightmares from time to time. It's just so bleak, and the bloodsuckers..ooh.

I was going to say FEAR, in the dark but you reminded me of the atmosphere in the undergrounds of stalker.

Irridium:
F.E.A.R.

Mainly because you were powerless in those situations.
The ladder scene especially scared the shit out of me.

the second one kind of ruined that, turning what could have been scary scenes into quicktime events.

Developers:
A game isn't fucking scary if I can kill everything that comes at me.

Also, the bear from Condemned.

Holy shit that was scary.

After playing Condemned: Criminal Origins, F.E.A.R. didn't even scare me once...Condemned Criminal Origins is some scary gaming!

oh and Justin Bieber's double gender also scares the crap out of me does that count

Condemned 2, yeah i need to get out more

I haven't really played a game that scared me, but I haven't played a lot of horror games. Played through Condemned after a friend told me it was the scariest game he had ever played. Most of it was startling, but not that scary.
One bit about that game made me jump a teeny bit. Where I punched a mannequin and I heard someone whispering, "You're dead." And a bit later someone whispered, "Hey." Or something. I dunno, that just got to me.

LoZ:OoT's ReDeads fucking scared me as a kid, though.

Brisingr:
Penumbra.. seriously scary. If you haven't played it already you need to, this is some scary stuff. One hell of a game :)

Man, I've got the trilogy lying on my PC. I've only completed the first game, and Amnesia: The Dark Descent is coming this fall. I can't play penumbra at night if the lights aren't on. I'm serious.

Fusionxl:
Penumbra is the only game I haven't finished because I simply didn't have the cojones. About 4 hours straight I was so messed up I turned on all the lights, put on a warm sweater and listened to Avril Lavigne for two hours...

...yeah, that bad.

I feel you brother, I feel you.

Another game I haven't seen mentioned is an indie-developed adventure game called Scratches. That's some freaky shit aswell.

Bioshock.

Try playing the start first time around in a dark room with high volume.

Your bowels will have an emergency evacuation.

Especially when you hear one of those god damn clown vending machines...

Porbably because I was ten at the time, but I found Doom 3 for the PC shit pants scary and the Xbox version equally as scary without Godmode on.

i honestly have to say Condemned 1 was the only game that ever really had me frightened and only during the end sequence when the serial killer is chasing you around the house.

i consider horror or survival horror to be probably my favourite genre for games but for some reason i can just never really get the level of immersion needed to be really frightened of a game for some reason.

I'm on early on in my first play-through of Dead Space and it actually scares me less than the trigeons from Far Cry, when those buggers jump at you, the horror...

WIUtomato:
the original condemned, I don't like the homeless even when they aren't trying to bash in my head with a bit of pipe, when they come crawling out of a hole in the ground it's damn scary! That being said... great game!

Totaly agree, that last chasing scence in the house. Damn, just pure creepy. Loved the game.

Also, I liked FEAR and it's expansions and found them damn creepy!

PayJ567:

Scrumpmonkey:

PayJ567:
STALKER SoC

X18 will give you night mares... I fucking hate X18 it's so fucking awesome but so fucking scary...

The ominous creeking of that revloving light, being ambushed by bandits then the constat booming of the Elecro anomaly. Then you hear the bloodsucker.... I honestly had given up on games scaring me shitless before that point but then you hear the roar of a 9 foot face sucking monster that can go invisible, drain all your blood and absorb more than a full clip of ammo. Not to mention run at about 15 miles an hour. The thing was so hyped up before hand in dialog too.

Oh and the controler, i snapped and that point and just ran like a little girl for the nearest ladder.... which was a fucking dummy! I actully had to pause the game and collect myself.

Yeah X18 is bad. It's not just the poltergist, it's those morbid singing pipes...

Any underground section is horrible on that game. So compelling but genuinely terrifying. I only go to X-18 or those places when I have just started the game. Never touch the places when I'm immerssed. Too scary.

Oh man! so you never saw the Sarcofagus?! Man that last underground level was scary. Your ok until the big booming russian voice.... just take a look.

The Exmortis flash game when i was around 12 or 13, after playing I actually was so scared that I started to hallucinate seeing this figure on my adjacent tv screen.

Penumbra: Overture. That was so stressful for me that I could only play it in short bursts. The sequel was a total disappointment, though. And I mean that in every sense of the word.

Most recently, S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Call of Pripyat.

As many have already pointed out in this thread, the S.T.A.L.K.E.R games have great immersion. This makes the game a lot more terrifying since you really feel like you are the one that in in danger. Things that wouldn't be scary in other games can be horrible in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. For example, I entered an old dilapidated building, looking for some loot. I expected to find some mutants inside, but there was nothing. But then in one of the secluded rooms, I saw some documents on the table. Because they were apparently an important item, I was able to pick them up.

Then I heard foot steps.

The building wasn't empty. Now in most games hearing some footsteps after picking up an item wouldn't freak me out. If I was playing Halo I would waltz out of the room unhindered. Instead, I was paralyzed with fear. I didn't know what the hell was out there. I figured it was probably some mutant like a bloodsucker, or worse. So I huddled in the corner and pulled out my shotgun, waiting for whatever was outside to come to me. But I just continued to hear the footsteps as the unknown entity paced back and forth, waiting for me to come out of my hiding place. I desperately looked for another way out of the room. I saw a window that I was barely able to squeeze through, falling about 25 feet and taking away half of my health bar.

It was at this time I received a radio transmission stating "You shouldn't have come here stalker, Now you're worm food.". It was then that I discovered that the creature I was so terribly afraid of was actually just a squad of mercenaries. That part of the game probably wasn't even intended to be scary, but I was so immersed that I immediately assumed the worst. I won't even go into the parts of the game I've encountered so far that are supposed to scare you. Don't want to spoil those parts.

The game that truly frightened me would have to be Condemned. It just drew me into the character and the plot and by the time I was half way through I really had to suck up the self esteem to even walk around one room towards another. Really is worth playing only at night and alone with the volume turned UP!

The underground portions of Stalker: SoC (as mentioned many times before). No matter what you are fighting, any gunfight with bandits or battle with mutants is horrifically intensified about 50 times whenever you are underground.

And the Mansion of Madness levels in TimeSplitters: Future Perfect. I'm usually not squicked by zombie games or horror games, but that level was creepy and unnerving even for me.

Scrumpmonkey:

PayJ567:

Scrumpmonkey:

Oh man! so you never saw the Sarcofagus?! Man that last underground level was scary. Your ok until the big booming russian voice.... just take a look.

No, no I have completed the game 3 times. I just meant I don't go there any more lol. Of course I wouldn't miss out on completing that game.

Aliens Vs Predator 2.

Marine Campaign is very scary. I was like

"Careful, careful... SHIT! AN ALIEN!"

I now have to do that painful experience all over again.

Can't get past the title screen for Condemned 2.
I'm 36, by the way...:S

Shadow of the Colossus when I first played it. I was 10 or 11 and the 11th one scared the shit out of me.

grhm..... when i first time played Half-life 2 i almost got heart seizure after i walked to certain tongue and then looked up... i was at my friends house and he fell down from laughter....

but truly scary games... hmm...when i first time played diablo 2 (i was young) i didnt dare to touch it after first half hour....

I was a very over-sensitive kid who frightened easily. A lot of games scared me, and it probably didn't help that I'd be playing them alone at school after almost everybody was gone (my mom was a teacher, so I was stuck there until she was ready to go home - sometimes not until long after it got dark.)

The two I remember most are Pathways into Darkness and Loom (the part where the sky opens and lighting strikes - I was afraid Bobbin would be some kind of horrible nasty corpse. He wasn't, but my mind conjured up the image anyway and I couldn't shake it.) Myst and Riven both scared me a little too, though I'm not sure why.

Nowadays I'm much harder to scare, but a few things still do it. Silent Hill 4, Undying, and a flash game called ExMortis have all given me some memorable frights.

Internet Kraken:
Most recently, S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Call of Pripyat.

As many have already pointed out in this thread, the S.T.A.L.K.E.R games have great immersion. This makes the game a lot more terrifying since you really feel like you are the one that in in danger. Things that wouldn't be scary in other games can be horrible in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. For example, I entered an old dilapidated building, looking for some loot. I expected to find some mutants inside, but there was nothing. But then in one of the secluded rooms, I saw some documents on the table. Because they were apparently an important item, I was able to pick them up.

Then I heard foot steps.

The building wasn't empty. Now in most games hearing some footsteps after picking up an item wouldn't freak me out. If I was playing Halo I would waltz out of the room unhindered. Instead, I was paralyzed with fear. I didn't know what the hell was out there. I figured it was probably some mutant like a bloodsucker, or worse. So I huddled in the corner and pulled out my shotgun, waiting for whatever was outside to come to me. But I just continued to hear the footsteps as the unknown entity paced back and forth, waiting for me to come out of my hiding place. I desperately looked for another way out of the room. I saw a window that I was barely able to squeeze through, falling about 25 feet and taking away half of my health bar.

It was at this time I received a radio transmission stating "You shouldn't have come here stalker, Now you're worm food.". It was then that I discovered that the creature I was so terribly afraid of was actually just a squad of mercenaries. That part of the game probably wasn't even intended to be scary, but I was so immersed that I immediately assumed the worst. I won't even go into the parts of the game I've encountered so far that are supposed to scare you. Don't want to spoil those parts.

Oh God the empty Jupiter plant was so very paranoia inducing. I couldn't take the isolation, your so far from the nearest freidly STALKERS yet there's... nothing! Never underestimate the fear induced by finding a giant empty power plant. The lack of an eniemy firstly makes you think "What the hell are they about to trow at me?!" I kept expecting things at every turn but there was... nothing!

Secondly coupled with the atmostphere it begins to play on your mind, you can feel allpowerfull when slaughtering bandits but all alone is a semi-dark ruined power plant you start to really feel the lonliness and desolation of the place. Nothings happening but nothing breaks the tension, it just builds and builds until you want to sprint out of the place and seek out the nearest hug.

Game designers need to learn that less can be more. I would have loved to wonder the ship on Deadspace some more doing some exploration without encountering a soul just the feeling that something was very wrong.

Zyxx:

Nowadays I'm much harder to scare, but a few things still do it. Silent Hill 4, Undying, and a flash game called ExMortis have all given me some memorable frights.

A flash game, interesting.... that must have been one hell'uva good flash designer to make a scary flash game, I must look this up.

Been playing since the end of the Atari and Commodore era and the beginning of the original Nintendo Entertainment System, still waiting on a frightening experience from games. One of the earliest games I remember with horror elements was Forbidden Forest. Giant spiders, skeletons, a rain of enormous frogs, banshees, even the showdown with the demogorgon who mostly let you fire wildly into the darkness until you were helpless.

Survival-horror games just don't offer anything to frighten me, I just get angry when playing them, probably due to the overabundance of the aggressive scare tactic. The Silent Hill series has been a shining example of this, as I consider the emergency axe and an already defeated enemy to be the recipe for catharsis. Resident Evil was more of an, "oh, not again" annoyance with the enemies. Clock Tower had me feeling vindicated when I finally got to shut up the monsters with a spot of violence. Haven't played Eternal Darkness, but watching it I just kind of yawned at their best attempts.

I guess it all has to do with the fact that I'm well adapted to artificial realities, I know they aren't real and there's nothing to fear. In real life however, I tend to be frightened just being outdoors after most people have gone to bed; there's something about the lack of people activities that unnerves me. The fact that people are responsible for the ideas in games intended to scare people is also a very effective contributor to my paranoia. Doesn't help much having studied statistics on sexual assault either, being a woman.

i dont remember the name but it was set in a burning house and you had no weapons and you had to escape but there was electric fence around, in the burning house very blood filled empty eyed zombies would spawn randomly next to you whenever you turn around and then to rip of your flesh *note: there was no weapons... only hands) and you had to punch it and hope it dident get your arm and rip it of and eat it and let you die on the floor

brandon237:

Zyxx:

A flash game, interesting.... that must have been one hell'uva good flash designer to make a scary flash game, I must look this up.

Oh, yeah, the ExMortis series. Interesting and well-done artistically. The gameplay tends to show inexperience in design, but that is to be expected in most Flash games (I also recall reading something about the original game in the series being his first ever attempt). Overall, I applaude the creator's reliance on more of suspense and atmosphere than the aggressive scare.

Jark212:
Heretic, try playing that when your 6 years old...

I did, actually. Although it could have been a sequel if there's one.

It's not that scary... the combat was pretty badass for the time though.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked