Man Builds a Computer Inside Minecraft

Pages PREV 1 2

I think it's only a matter of time now before MineCraft becomes self-aware. This guy's computer is sweet for just 16 bits, and I bet it's going to be "hack"-compatible and more sophisticated pretty soon, seeing how much time this guy must have on his hands >_> Sentience is drawing nearer...

Which would be cool, if you think about it. Imagine if someone used blocks to build an AI, and the AI was given an infinite number of blocks to build with. What would it build? Another AI? A separate virtual existence in which to build it's own universe?

I need to go sit down, this is blowing my mind.

It's pretty cool how people can do this kind of stuff, however in reality, it's not that overly complex and it's actually not that amazing. The guy is obviously very patient, but once you have gotten the jist of how a computer actually works, it just requires hundreds of hours of labor.

People have made very basic computers in other computer games and with even woodblocks before (it's somewhere there on youtube). But at the end of the day, make a game in which you can add an indefinite amount of chain switches and it is plausible.

I am however impressed by the amount of hours which would of gone into the project though..

Huh...so that's what computers looked like before CPUs were invented.

"Somebody needs to get laid."

sooperman:
I think it's only a matter of time now before MineCraft becomes self-aware. This guy's computer is sweet for just 16 bits, and I bet it's going to be "hack"-compatible and more sophisticated pretty soon, seeing how much time this guy must have on his hands >_> Sentience is drawing nearer...

Which would be cool, if you think about it. Imagine if someone used blocks to build an AI, and the AI was given an infinite number of blocks to build with. What would it build? Another AI? A separate virtual existence in which to build it's own universe?

And yeah, that wouldn't be possible, just as in real life what you see from a computer is limited to a computer screen, as in minecraft the data is limited to torches..

This is why I don't play Minecraft. Because no matter how hard I try, I know I'll never make something even remotely as awesome as this.

JaysonM:

And yeah, that wouldn't be possible, just as in real life what you see from a computer is limited to a computer screen, as in minecraft the data is limited to torches..

But what would the AI think?

Would it be able to program using MineCraft? If so, it wouldn't enter the real world, but it would be able to program, right?

sooperman:

JaysonM:

But what would the AI think?

Would it be able to program using MineCraft? If so, it wouldn't enter the real world, but it would be able to program, right?

lol, you now have me confused...

I guess having a programming language within minecraft would be a like 6th generation programming language... one above the language used to program robots!

JaysonM:

I guess having a programming language within minecraft would be a like 6th generation programming language... one above the language used to program robots!

I think it would have to be...

0_0

Doesn't anybody remember the LBP computer?

Very cool, well done buddy...well done!

Snake Plissken:
Doesn't anybody remember the LBP computer?

I was going to quote that as another video game which uses it, however I wasn't sure if it used the same mechanics. However looking at the end of the video I'm assuming it does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcDshWmhF4A

^^

Wood marble computer

GrinningManiac:
Very impressive, and yet so worrying.

Where and why did he find the time for this? A hobby's a hobby, and I'm not to call anyone "sad" or "pathetic", but this seems a little too involved to be a hobby

Technically though if he's doing something related to computer science then you could look on it as a practice exercise, you can learn all you want about computers from reading but I'm sure when you actually start practically building something like that you learn a whole lot more.

Ha! I knew it was possible!

My first thought when I heard you could make logic gates with redstone was that it should be possible to build a computer. Now, it seems I was correct. TheInternetFTW, I am in your debt.

Now THAT IS awesome.
So what shall we call it? Skynet?

Tattaglia:
Eh, it was done in Dwarf Fortress a while ago. Regardless it's still extremely impressive.

Given the complexity of that game, making ALU's is something it's players could do for breakfast.

After 20 minutes of trying to do stuff, my head exploded.

So apparently he actually studies computer science and actually got a job offer from a local company for this video:

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/dk1au/hey_rgaming_i_just_finished_an_alu_the_math_part/c10s69t

Wow, does that mean that the World of the World of Warcraft is that much closer? Where I can level a character who's leveling a character in that world's version of World of Warcraft? "wow its like I am really playing a guy playing world of warcraft!"

Scars Unseen:
Somebody's been reading xkcd

Ninja'd!

What's next...Intel Pentium processor?

tanis1lionheart:
Is it wrong that the first thing I thought of was...

'Yo Dawg I heard you like computers so we're gonna put a computer in your computer so you can compute as your compute'.

???

No, I hope not. I had the same thought.

tanis1lionheart:

'Yo Dawg I heard you like computers so we're gonna put a computer in your computer so you can compute as your compute'.

???

I made one earlier and sent it to him...

Sacman:

tanis1lionheart:

???

I made one earlier and sent it to him...

Good to know I'm around like minded folks.

tanis1lionheart:

???

You and one of the commenters on Kotaku. Normally I despise Internet memes but this one just...fits...so perfectly. I can has surprize?

Impressive indeed. Not that i understood anything : /

He states in the video that this was created by creating a level from a PNG file, so he hasn't actually been jumping around placing blocks manually. The design itself is pretty impressive, though!

Any excuse for another Minecraft topic I see,

Staehrminator:
He states in the video that this was created by creating a level from a PNG file, so he hasn't actually been jumping around placing blocks manually. The design itself is pretty impressive, though!

Really the gate level description of an ALU isn't hugely complex from a design standpoint. As long as you have working logic gates with consistent performance the design is pretty trivial. Not trying to diminish his work, its very cool and the commitment is quite impressive but design-wise its nothing groundbreaking.

JaysonM:

sooperman:

Actually this is very possible. A computer isn't just limited to a screen this thing if it starts to think and learn it has all the same capabilities as a human being and also if it is a computer it probably would eventually get the power to learn much faster than humans! And if it thinks it probably could alter its programming and eventually be able to hack things and get into secret projects of big corporate and government projects! And ohhhhhhhh this would be annoying if it was a program that you would write and let run all the time...

Bah, an ALU is no big deal. You really can't call it a 'computer' until it's Turing-complete.

so hes made tron with crappier graphics?

i really need to try this mincraft thing that all you wacky kids play these days

Wow that is pretty impressive, certainly a lot of things to do in mine... wait a sec. This thread is from 2010!

What the hell! is there some sort of rule now were your first post has to be a necro or something now?

imawesome511:

*slowclap* Oi mods, come lock this >.<

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked