Scariest sounds in games

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Astoria:
That deep bass sound in Amnesia that happens when a monster is nearby. It's scarier than the monsters themselves.

Hehehe you mean this one!?

Creepy ass noise! Scared me shitless half the time

Amensia: The Dark Descent, just about every sound in the game but especially the sound that plays when you look at a monster.

HDi:
Not necessarily all that scary... but I absolutely adore what Irrational have done with the sound design for the Songbird in Bioshock Infinite.

I like how some of its cries remind me of the harsh, screeching stringed instruments in the first two games' action sequence songs(which were also very creepy, especially in 2). It's nice to feel a connect between this new, alien Bioshock and its predecessors.

Usually, all I need to hear is light tapping during a silent scene and it's enough to make me scream and run away in terror.

tombman888:
Amnesia... every fucking creak, growl, wind movement, footstep, and even the fucking ambient music made me fear that game with all my soul.

And then you have the sound of the actual monsters. as soon as i hear the "Bleargh!" I run the fuck away and shit my pants =(

The sound of the cockroaches when your sanity is low freaks me out a bit. I'm taking a break from it right now for that exact reason. Also I don't know if it's a sanity effect or scripted, but so far enemies only seem to exist for a little while while the camera's all wobbly and when I try to tail them Penumbra-style they aren't there anymore. Maybe I'm not that far yet. Regardless, the hint system keeps telling me to evade monsters when I'm not even around any. Are they trying to worry me, do they know I played Penumbra and in that game tutorials always appeared right before disasters?

The scream from the scary maze game. If you don't know what it is, just google it. You'll see soon enough. WARNING: Do not play if scared easily or still can't sleep years after seeing the exorcist.

Nieroshai:

tombman888:
Amnesia... every fucking creak, growl, wind movement, footstep, and even the fucking ambient music made me fear that game with all my soul.

And then you have the sound of the actual monsters. as soon as i hear the "Bleargh!" I run the fuck away and shit my pants =(

The sound of the cockroaches when your sanity is low freaks me out a bit. I'm taking a break from it right now for that exact reason. Also I don't know if it's a sanity effect or scripted, but so far enemies only seem to exist for a little while while the camera's all wobbly and when I try to tail them Penumbra-style they aren't there anymore. Maybe I'm not that far yet. Regardless, the hint system keeps telling me to evade monsters when I'm not even around any. Are they trying to worry me, do they know I played Penumbra and in that game tutorials always appeared right before disasters?

Funny story actually. Me and my friend knew about one of the sripted events where the monster walks down a hallway then dissapears. So, we blocked the door he was supposed to walk down with tons of chairs, drawers, etc. Then, when made the scripted event happen, The monster was stuck trying to get through the blocked door... and we laughed...

And then he stopped, turned, and started running towards us, upon which we screamed the fuck out loud. Then when he was 2 inches away from our face, he disappeared......

This

First time I saw these things I let him hit me to see what the could do almost shit myslef from the shock.

Creeper noise used to bother me, but by sheer repitition (as long as I'm not too close to the agonisingly fragile walls of my base) I'm not all that bothered by it any more.

What DOES bother me is the roar of a nearby big cat when I've got the mo' creatures mod installed. The buggers don't make much noise and do an astonishing amount of damage- a tiger once spawned on my roof and came down the stairs to wreck my shit. I had a full suit of (admittedly a bit dilapidated) iron armour and full health- three hits and I was toast. My spawn point had moved to the bed so when I respawned I was still in the room with the bloody tiger only now I'm unarmed and in my pants. The furry bastard killed me another two times before I eventually punched it to death. That was one frantic minute of gameplay.

The following day an ogre turned up having tracked me halfway across the map after I killed his mate and tore the wall off my house. Their growl is starting to trigger some primal responses as well.

-Nick

WOPR:

Hannibal942:

meglathon:
"welcome to the Twisted Treeline"

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
the horror the horror....

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

*You have been slain.*
*Your ally has been slain*
*Your ally has been slain*
ACE

Told you to stay away from that bush
but it looks like that ace...
*puts on shades*
...was Garen-teed

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

u sir are a master :D

The Charger's audio in L4d2.

I've done some baaaaaaad things to my teammates in l4d2... o.o

The sound of mutated flesh moving around in Fallout 3/NV. Also, the chattering of insects and such.

Why is the only green I find in a world of browns scare the crap out of me!?

The Zombines from Half Life Episodes
The Hybrids from System Shock 2
The distance crying in Amnesia
The Feral Ghouls in New Vegas

Silent Hill "music". It's mostly just a bunch of sounds anyway, so may drums and voices and intense wave tones!

Unidentified clicking sounds in Resident Evil 2. Actually, the scariest part of Code Veronica was when you were standing above Nosforatu's chamber and he starts making that screaming, wailing sound from behind a gag, and the sound reverbs all through the area... pretty creepy.

The "!" sound when being caught in Metal Gear Solid (especially when you've actually been TRYING not to get caught.)

Also, not sure why, but the agonized screams and malicious laughter of the Uber-chainsaw manic from the final Mercenary stage in RE4 strikes me as a particularly scary noise.

in Deus Ex HR, when you kill the final boss, it releases this REALLY creepy but extremely loud scream

at 3AM it scared the living shit out of me!

Shoqiyqa:

Grouchy Imp:
"VENGEANCE!"

Cookie for the reference.

I got the reference but that was more annoying than scary in my experience.

The scariest sound in that game was probably the moaning of an Ancient Lich. The b_____d things resist Dispel Undead.

Archviles sniffing around, looking for you, in DoomII spring to mind.

The combined engine noise, gravel crunch and metallic squealing of a tank coming your way when you know you don't have any armour in the area and you're not carrying any anti-armour weaponry is also kind of unnerving.

Everything in the large room respawning at once before you've finished the lever sequence to open the exit in Asheron's Call is a really bad sound.

Enemy Territory: *click* right under the foot you just put down.

Quake spawn waking up and starting to bounce around. Vile things!

Halo:CE's worst is either "Everybody duck!" as a little Covey git lobs a plasma bomb at you or that rapid, high-pitched sound the swarms of Flood mushrooms make.

It suppose it could be considered annoying once you've gotten used to it, but the first time you ever hear it? When it's about three o'clock in the morning, the only light in the room is the glow coming from the computer screen, and you're totally wired? Not an experience I'd like to repeat...

the sound of a skeleton arrow shot at you from the dark mines in minecraft makes me jump everytime!

Harry Mason:
Any sound in Condemned, Criminal Origins. Utterly terrifying and beautiful sound design.

Weeping Angels!

THE METAL GEAR SOLID ALERT NOISE!!!

"Ok, I must be safe here"

!!!!!!!!!!

"HOLY FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU"
*throws controller through the roof*

The Madman:

Vidi Kitty:

Kathinka:
"your ssssssong is not ours!"

honorable mention, more awesome than scary:

"OSWALD COMPROMIIIIIIIISED!"

What are these from?

If I'm not mistaken System Shock 2.

I always found the midwives much more frightening however.

Dunno about anyone else, but the scariest sound to me in that game was from the monkeys.

oo ooo aah aah.. SCREEEEE SCREE KYEEH KYEEEEEH!!!!

And of course the scream when a ReDead in Ocarina of Time sees you.

Edit: How could I forget?? In the Descent games, mainly Descent 2 comes to mind. The robotic whirring/BREATHING noise the boss robots make. It's TERRIFYING. From the very first boss battle you're in WAY over your head, fighting something armed to the teeth, with way more health than you and able to spam the hell out of the most powerful weapons you currently have at your disposal. Going in head-on to fight one in their big, complex arenas would be suicide. Your only choice is to take a stealthy approach. But those things are not only crazy tough but crazy SMART, too. Once you figure out where they are (and they just KNOW you know) they go invisible and teleport to another location. Nothing beats the freakiness of being right outside the room to the boss' lair, peeking in around a corner and hearing that BREATHING NOISE, loud, clear, almost right next to you but there's nothing in sight. You fire off a guided missile to seek it out from safety and only catch a half-second glimpse of a moving shadow before it's gone and the sound dies down a bit...

Now I really feel like playing D2 again. God, in this world of shooters, why are they all constrained to two dimensions still?

Madara XIII:

Astoria:
That deep bass sound in Amnesia that happens when a monster is nearby. It's scarier than the monsters themselves.

Hehehe you mean this one!?

Creepy ass noise! Scared me shitless half the time

Wow, i was not expecting somebody to link that before me.
The idle sound it makes at 13 seconds scares the hell out of me, being in a quiet area and then hearing that sound is horrible.

One more for Half Life 2:

Also, Link's scream as he burns alive after the moon falls in Majora's Mask, as well as him drowning in Lava in Twilight Princess. Especially the more you think about it.

In a game in which most of the significant enemies are virtually or totally immune to one, some or nearly all of your weapons, ammunition is precious, gunfire attracts more enemies and you haven't yet figured out how to get the ramp down ...

... the sound you've never heard before indicating that something has noticed you and it's something about which you have no information at all.

Easily the sound of a wallmaster about to come down on you in Ocarina of Time... NO! I DO NOT WANT TO START OVER AT THE ENTRANCE! AGGGHH!

In one of the Silent Hill games you're stuck on a school with ghost children who giggle in the dark, always creeped the daylights out of me.

On a somewhat similar note, why dont we have a Willhelm Screm for video games?

X-Com the original.

Just.. X-Com

The very soundtrack is elegance in its simplicity.

Imagine coming off the interceptor.. not knowing what you're up against.. in the darkness.. to an empty isolated farmstead. You know there should be life here..

And all you hear is this.

Well let's see.

The initial "Fwaaaawlgh" squelchy growl from any Amnesia monster when they show up and are roaming the area.

Midwife androids from System Shock.

When you hear a vent burst open in DS/DS2.

The eerie noise from F.E.A.R. whenever Alma appears.

The Fast Zombie from HL2, especially when they leap at you.

Oh, and other than the obvious ReDeads, I always found the Stalchild's noises in OoT quite scary, mostly because I was often running across Hyrule at night.

Also, and not sure if I'll be laughed at for this, but the music/sounds that would come up when those Trumpet headed bird things in Twilight Princess would show up were rather unsettling. Also, Bokoblins in the darkness. "SCREE-SCREE SCRAAAAAWGHK!"

Oh god....

I remember when I was playing Dead Space for the first time. I've been playing Survival Horror since Silent Hill 1 and RE:1 for PS1 so I was no stranger to survival horror.

But at the beginning when you are walking through the space ship and you keep hearing a rhythmic pounding, I had no clue what it was. The more I heard it, the more scared I got.

Then I turn a corner and it's some dude banging his head against a pipe. Ok I thought, no problem.

I walk closer and BAM! Breaks his skull open.

*done*

shadowyoasis:
I usually don't find games scary or creepy and if there is something creepy its usually faded after the first time I hear it.

Dead Space however has a few gems to it. While most the scares like necros popping in and out, safe rooms that aren't really safe and so on you can get use to. Their are just certain undoubtedly creepy moments though.

This only happens once if I remember correctly in the beginning your in a silent corridor with two fans going about in circles making a droning noise, for all but a few seconds you'll hear a skittering across the ceiling and a shadow will race across the lights shining through the rafters. The fact this only happens once and its not constant means if you catch it your expecting something to come out the walls or come up behind you, it never does but it adds a beautiful moment of tension.

Also the whole cult level is probably one of my most favorite moments in horror games since the entire thing puts you on a slight edge.

Since someone mentioned WoW bosses, personally I find the whispers of C'thun to be the creepiest ones every designed in WoW too bad noone and I mean noone ever does those levels anymore.

Cthun

Yogg Saron

Ahhhh, Yogg Saron brings back good memories of when I still played and enjoyed WoW.
Anub'Arak was well done, but Yogg Saron doesn't get enough credit for being fucking terrifying.

the Vault where its full of mantis, spore plants and those Trog looking things.

the whole time your in there you hear this scratching on the walls its really creepy

probably anyhting to do with childrens laughter crying or screaming o-o; like the little ghost dolls in okami

Seriphina:
The fucking radio sound in silent hill!!! Why has noone mentioned this?!?!

I see your Silent Hill radio sound and raise you a Silent Hill 2 air raid siren sound:

Not sure if it's the in-game sound or the crappy movie version...

Also:

Resident Evil 4 Regenerator breathing... holy shit!
The rattling hiss of the poison headcrabs in Half Life 2

You ninja'd me with the headcrab sounds. All of them. Poison headcrab zombie. Eurgh.

kman123:
You ninja'd me with the headcrab sounds. All of them. Poison headcrab zombie. Eurgh.

Oh god I had forgotten about their rattled gasps and those awful moans and screeching horse like sounds... Why would you remind me of this? Why do you hate me?

Vidi Kitty:

kman123:

Oh god I had forgotten about their rattled gasps and those awful moans and screeching horse like sounds... Why would you remind me of this? Why do you hate me?

Buddy, if I'm not sleeping tonight, neither are you. *Evil chuckle*.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked