Poll: Empire or Stormcloak?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Kakulukia:
Stormcloak, if only because the Empire tried to murder me in the intro.

^THIS. I wont forget how they were seconds away from taking my head off FOR NO REASON other than just being at the wrong place at the wrong time.

I'm an Imperial, wearing Imperial armor, and this guy asks me to come with him and rebel. So yeah, sure, why not.

Clan Battle-Born.

jboking:

Somebloke:

("No. I don't want to do either A or B, I want to do C, or possibly D or E.")

I'm through most of the story and I've not chosen either. Basically, I've done C.

Good to hear!

I haven't played the game for long, but the OP kind of made it sound like the choice would be forced at some point, which certainly wouldn't be a first.

Somebloke:

jboking:

Somebloke:

("No. I don't want to do either A or B, I want to do C, or possibly D or E.")

I'm through most of the story and I've not chosen either. Basically, I've done C.

Good to hear!

I haven't played the game for long, but the OP kind of made it sound like the choice would be forced at some point, which certainly wouldn't be a first.

It's a central part of the game's storyline, so not choosing locks out quite a lot of content.

Imperials:

Pros: Orderly, strong in both number and armor (compared to Stormcloaks), and ended the war against the Dominion (although banning the worship of Talos in the process).

Cons: Let the Thalmar walk all over them, banned the Worship of Talos (debatable, but who's decedent saved your sorry ass in the Oblivion Crisis), try to kill you because you were in the wrong place at the wrong time (which technically was only the Captain's call, not the Imperial as a whole), let random adventurers walk right up to General Tullius without as much as a second glance, and takes out anyone who has even the smallest ties to the Stormcloak rebellion.

Stormcloaks:

Pros: Very close knit family of warriors (metaphorically speaking), wishes to reinstate the worship of Talos (debatable), and lots of mead.

Cons: More racist than a KKK member in an NAACP meeting, blood-lusting (debatable), very good at causing trouble, and very 'Dark Ages' feel (plainly put, stupid and barbaric).

My opinion: Ignore the damn war and just be a Dragonborn. But if I had to pick one, and I was playing as anything but a Nord, Imperial.

JoesshittyOs:

erto101:

JoesshittyOs:

You may have. Go to Windhelm if you want to join the Stormcloaks (not sure how you join the Empire). Speak to Ulfric or the other guy with the helmet made of an animal.

If there's no option to ask to join, you may have screwed up, though I doubt Bethesda designed the game like that.

Go to Solitude to join the Empire. Felt like the only true choice for a High Elf ^^

As a Nord, I spit in your general direction.

Yeah, well I fart in your general direction! Your mother was a
Hamster and you father smelled of elderberries!

Ammutseba:

Ruwrak:
Or a book about me!

WROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG!!!!

Check this out: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:The_Oblivion_Crisis

Edit: I joined the Stormcloaks because the Imperials and their allies are all a bunch of dicks.

But the Stormcloaks are racist, at least there leader and most of their top brass are.

Empire, but not deliberately. I didn't even know you could join either side until I saw my brother end up with the Stromcloaks.

in the words of Jarl Balgruuf, I'm on the side of Whiterun.
they have the Companions and imma Thane. and they have a priddy decent forge...
but i do go to college in Stormcloak territory.

Stormcloak, despite the fact that they're fighting against Skyrim's only protection against the Dominion. I have to admit my feelings towards the Empire were somewhat changed when they tried to execute me for crossing the border while near Ulfric Stormloack.

The ones that did not try to chop my friggen head off!

Ulfric is a jackass but the Empire is a collective of jackasses that bend over for the Thalmer.
Besides, "By the eight!" just sounds off.

Stormcloaks might have had a point...

...if the entire thing wasn't purely about Ulfric's ego. He doesn't care about Skyrim. He doesn't even get that the Empire is the only thing holding the Thalmor at bay. So no, I've no sympathy for him. But yeah maybe we should just pull out of Skyrim and let Stormcloaks deal with the Dominion on their own. See how long it takes before they come crying for help.

Stormcloaks because they didn't try to kill me.

I joined the Legion. Why? I remember being told that if I ever stopped being an adventurer back in Oblivion, that it would be a good idea to join the Anvil Guard. Yes there's a difference but having the opportunity to join an army of sorts was interesting to me. Joining the rebels felt like a too played out thing. I've played a lot of games where you're a rebel and it just lost its allure for me. So I joined the Legion, and now I wear Ulfric's clothes everywhere after having peeled them off his corpse which I shouted into his throne.

I love this game.

That witch of an imperial captain that said forget the list, let's kill this completely innocent person we just happen to run into pretty much sealed the Empire's fate for them.

Supporting the Stormcloaks and Ulfric for now, until we get the DLC that let's us kill Ulfric the moment he goes to get crowned and place the dude who was in the cart with us in the beginning as High King.

The Imperials aren't the last shield against the Dominion, they're the High Elve's damn doormat. As long as they hold power, they weaken Skyrim. They made a puppet out of Torygg and his wife and when the puppet is challenged and defeated, the Empire doesn't honor the outcome, they instead try to kill Ulfric (That's my job!) and then proceed to behead the man working the gate because he let Ulfric out.

At this point I'd rather appoint Alduin as High King of Skyrim than either of those morons. He saved my life, albeit accidentally.

Brainsaw:

The Imperials aren't the last shield against the Dominion, they're the High Elve's damn doormat. As long as they hold power, they weaken Skyrim.

What are some group of rebels going to do when the Thalmore come knocking? Have you seen, Windhelm? The place is a sorry excuse for a pit in the ground, there's no way Ulfric could command the whole of freaking Skyrim if he can't even feed his own people properly.

This is the only thing that keeps me from joining the Stormcloak's. They are basically an elder scrolls equivalent of the BNP (I suppose it should be NNP now, for "nord national party") but they are still preferable to the imperials, until we get to the business of what happens when the war is over, and the next one begins.

I think the Stormcloak's racism is fairly excaggerated, when you ask your commander about it (not ulfric, the guy in the bear coat) he refers to skyrim as "man's" country, as opposed to mer's (elves, orcs etc).
they're not saying that only NORDS, should set foot in Skyrim, they just want all pointy-eared basterds to bugger off.

I also enjoy their mead, and I bet they'll stop making that after the empire suffocates their culture.

8-Bit_Jack:

michiehoward:
I really should have paid more attention.

Yes. Yes you should have. recognition of Talos has been banned throughout the empire. They also are ruling the Empire perched on the backs of their own people

I was busy running from Dragon death.

I caught abit of the back story, what you have stated and such. I wanted to hear from people nearly complete or complete the main story to see what happens when you fall in with either faction and its implications to Skyrim and the rest of the empire at large.

I'm currently forging my own path of allegiance agnosticism, however the Imperials started off bad in my book for wanting to arbitrarily execute me and there seems to be some shady dealings going on with them.
Although the Stormcloaks don't see pure as the driven snow either. And as a proud Orc, their blatant racism annoys me no end. I swear one day that random racist civilian #10 is going to taste the business end of my war axe.

I'm taking the long view and siding with the Empire.

It strikes me that the Altemeri are a greater threat in future and if Skyrim leaves the Empire it's all going to collapse, making the Great War seem tame in comparison to what's going to happen. With the loss of Morrowind and the Aldemeri's control of the Bosmers and the loss of Black Marsh the Empire is in a peerless state. Losing Skyrim would in all likely hood doom the Empire to total collapse, and then as they say...we can all hang together, or we'll certainly hang seperately. Skyrim's already facing the machinations of the Altimeri, without any counterbalance that's just going to get worse.

Yes...I do read almost ALL the books I can find in the game...

TheDrunkNinja:
[quote="DracoSuave" post="9.323634.13259286"]It was around the time where he mentioned attacking Whiterun for no other reason than because the Jarl was more concerned with the impending dragon invasion rather than the Civil War that I began questioning everything.

Actually, Ulfric Stormcloak doesn't 'attack Whiterun for no reason.'

Whiterun is in the middle of Skyrim, and a buffer between the East (which has solidly pro-Imperial Jarls) and the West (which has solidly pro-Stormcloak Jarls.) The other holds aren't 'stepping stones to Solitude', they're Jarls who support the widow for the office of High King. With the land so evenly divided, the Moot to determine High King would be at a standstill, meaning actual war is inevitable. And Skyrim NEEDS a High King at a time when OH GOD DRAGONS EVERYWHERE.

So, Ulfric approached the one Jarl who was the swing vote with the offering of his axe, essentially forcing the one fence-sitter to choose: Keep the Axe, meaning he's willing to fight for Ulfric, or return the axe, meaning they are not allied.

Whiterun doesn't get attacked for no reason; it gets attacked because doing so leads to the end of civil war.

Remember, Ulfric challenged the High King according to Nordic law, and the king accepted the challenge, and his reasons are just; Skyrim needs strong leadership, and the High King was not strong leadership.

I've stayed out of the conflict so far, but I have yet to see something to paint the Stormcloaks under any half-way positive light, besides a couple of sob stories. I don't know; maybe the game waits to surprise me with Ulfric's love for puppies in the third act.

Storm Cloak, The only reason for it however is I believe in the freedom to worship Talos. I do not like the people or the actions I do.

That and fuck every other race, besides myself of course ( High-Elf ) and Nords.

As i'm a true son to Skyrim, it was natural that i joined the Empire. They are they only force that can stop the dickhead dominonen, from taking over my homeland. The stormclockers are no true son to Skyrim. I have forgiven The Empire for neraly taking my head (and my crime was that i have chopped down a forest).

You know, despite their tendancy to build Death Stars, I've always been more of an Empire man.

I'm in ur thread, killin' ur conversation!

RT-Medic-with-shotgun:

Foxpack1:

When you think about it, the Stormcloaks are definetly the bad guys as the parallels they have with the Nazi's is quite shocking.

Angry with a peace treaty they were forced to accept: Versailles/White-Gold

Hates minority groups: Jews,Slavs,etc/Non-Nords

Will make the nation great again.

Charismatic leader and ex-soldier who claims to be doing things for his ideal people: Hitler and Aryans/Ulfric and the Nords.

Attempted overthrow of elected government: Munich Putsch/Stormcloak rebellion.

The peace treaty that also removed the Imperials balls(disbanded the mages guild and removing battle mages from the Imperial Legion) thus leaving them an easier conquest for a rebellion against the Thalmor; Skyrim still has its college. The ban of Talos is because the Thalmor don't recognize him as THEIR ancestor and therefore cannot be a god(meaning only elves can be gods woah more racism) and while it is big issue i think having an independent college free to grow from possible intervention is a good thing. Dominion destroyed Imperial magic giving them the MAJOR uperhand so any hope of return to any civility is to fight them with magic.

No comment on the racial issue here; aside from the differences are one nation of this people is trying to put us under their boot. Its a human defense mechanism; we distrust different peoples especially when we don't know who we can trust. Not excusing it but its understood.

Charismatic? Good god have you met Ulfric? hes a dick.

Overthrows of the government happen in all rebellions; only thing here is that they were sold down the river for working to take a city back from the forsworn; so it could be a haven for talos worship. Last i checked the nazis had no noble reason for their insurrection.

Not necessarily. If its anything the Dwemer proved, is that magic can be countered. Look at the quality of their metal allowed it to hold its own. The empire doesn't need magic to win, it just needs to innovate in technology. I think THIS is what Bethesda meant by adding gun powder weapons. The Empire may not have magic, but they can craft a suitable substitute.

So far I've sided with the Empire, I just don't agree with the ideals of the rebellion that I've heard so far.

The more I read from you guys, and the more I read from the Skyrim Wiki, to choose between the SC's and the Imp's, is like picking the lesser of two evils.

Both Factions are packed full of morons, if there is a mission to assassinate the Thalmor making all the plans to screw with the Empire I want in on that action.

And if there is anyone to blame for this is fucking Martin, really dude you couldn't have gotten married. I mean who would want to marry a fucking emperor!?!

I hope I'll be able to go through the game with no strong opinions either way.

As a player, I'm torn. I've played a fair way into the game, observing the logic on both sides, and have found myself asking very honestly what my player-character would do. I think, however, the recent events in Markarth decided it for me. Spoilers incoming, so... well, if you were worried about spoilers, I doubt you'd be this deep into the thread. Also, crazy RP-rich blabber, so tl/dr warning in effect.

My Imperial, in my mind's story, fled north because Cyrodil lost the war. Because the Empire was not the Empire of his forefathers, a line his grandfather claimed reached back to the Champion who fought beside Martin to turn back Dagon from this world. He wanted to escape the world, but in Skyrim, found the world could still hunt him down.

Then, he learned he was Dragonborn. He had a job to do, and was the one with the power to do it. He slew dragons, made allies, helped others, as his ancestor would have. But the choice to follow the Stormcloak rebel in his escape haunted him. Had he made the right choice? Who was right in this land, so far from home?

So he began his own private pilgrimage. Quested from hold to hold, speaking to the people, seeing how the war had impacted their lives. The pain ran deep; a land divided between loyalty to the Empire, and the customs of their ancestors. The Stormcloaks held extreme views, extreme enough to unnerving the Imperial Dragonborn. Whereas the remnants of the Empire seemed to still hold enough of that noble spirit to be worthy of standing beside.

Then came the Grey-Manes. Thorald's mother had asked of him to find proof he lived, and the trail led to a Dominion fortress of horrors. Seeing red, the Dragonborn unleashed all the fury he had to offer, and slew the torturers, freeing Thorald in the process. The sheer depth of his rage shook him, and stayed with him for days to come.

The memory of it had only begun to fade when he at last entered the Understone Keep, seeking to learn from the Jarl of Markarth what he could of the conflict. It was there he met one of the Dominion's own, sent to keep tabs on the hold and root out Talos worship- another fact that dug into the Dragonborn's side deeply, for had not his ancestor also reforged the Knights of the Nine? With a smug tone, the elven dog proudly remarked that the Empire existed only so long as the Dominion wished it to exist. And that they would prove their superiority to man, one century at a time.

And in that moment, it all made sense.

The Dragonborn made his excuses and left, eyes turned towards High Hrothgar. He knew what his path would be. He would crush the threat of the dragons, and if the civil war still raged when he was done, he would offer his service to Ulric. He would crush every Imperial stronghold, break every Jarl. He would make Skyrim stand with a strength and fury not seen since the days of Tiber Septum himself. And then... then, when all of Skyrim stood as one, with every blade he could rally behind him, he would turn his eyes south.

The Empire his ancestor once saved was no longer worth saving. And perhaps the Dominion's victory was inevitable. But before the time of man could fully pass, he swore he would see the Dominion burn for its crimes.

michiehoward:
The more I read from you guys, and the more I read from the Skyrim Wiki, to choose between the SC's and the Imp's, is like picking the lesser of two evils.

Both Factions are packed full of morons, if there is a mission to assassinate the Thalmor making all the plans to screw with the Empire I want in on that action.

And if there is anyone to blame for this is fucking Martin, really dude you couldn't have gotten married. I mean who would want to marry a fucking emperor!?!

He died in the last mission of oblivion.

Also i think the "KILL ALL THALMOR" is coming in DLC.

poiuppx:
Beautiful snip

That..was just perfect.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked