Kingdom of Amalur: Reckonings

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Interesting story, colorful and cartoony aesthetic, fun game mechanics, large environments with fun exploration. Many varied ways to increase your character. Combat is very fun and varied. Also seems to be very long, I'm about 10 hours in and still in the first couple areas, of course I'm one of those people that has to complete everything. The game can be quite challenging at times, but other times you just feel like you are going from point A to B. The quests are varied enough and there aren't many "Collect X of Y" things.

DeadSp8s:
Thanks everybody. I'm much more informed. I'm trying to make the decision between Skyrim and Amalur. This helps.

In that case get Skyrim. It's much more immersive. It's definitely a better game than Amalur. And if you're getting it on PC then it's not even a fair contest. Amalur gets repetitive after a while. I'm 36 hours in, and I don't really get the craving to play as much as I do with Skyrim. More than 200 hours in Skyrim and it's still not enough.
But the biggest problem I have with Amalur is that the world doesn't feel real. It lacks depth. I simply don't care about the story, the side quests or any of the characters. All that matters in this game is killing stuff and acquiring better loot. You can do all that in Skyrim, only better because the world feels real. It will drag you in and make you dream about it.

RT-Medic-with-shotgun:
The art style reminded me too much of Wow, that made me laugh, i realized i would not be able to take jack seriously in that game, lets plays i watched showed a very narrow opening area. I realize its supposed to be a forest(i think) but did they have to make it surrounded by giant canyons that cannot be scaled? ITs world design reminded me greatly of WoW, aesthetic reminded me of WoW, combat would have been cool if i cared about over the top games like that, apparently full of fetch quests. I got the impression of WoW and it held up to that on everything except voice and combat. Though like Warhammer online i could not stand the human females voice.

DeadSp8s:
Thanks everybody. I'm much more informed. I'm trying to make the decision between Skyrim and Amalur. This helps.

Skyrims mod capability makes it endless fun but amalur is no where near as good looking. May be a plus on a low spec PC though. Since amalur was built to be an MMO at first(and lordy it shows)the aesthetic was built to be run well on a low spec PC while still be attractive. Go watch a few good lets plays or first impressions before you buy.

Skyrim tends to take a dip into the Uncanny Valley a little bit to much for my tastes. I would say that Amalur looks 10x better then Skyrim. There aren't many fetch quests really, not anymore then Skyrim or any other RPG. In fact I like the quests in Amalur better. I feel like I have a reason. My favorite quest so far was when I chased after a Fae called the Widow who was terrorizing a town. I went to go kill her, she said she would offer me amnesty in the Webwood if I went and destroyed the town for her. So I did, now the whole town is mine pretty much. The aesthetic looks a bit like WoW, but not really. WoW take a bit gritter aesthetic approach where this is more fanciful. It has lighter tones then WoW does and nothing is meant to look like it's real world counterpart. WoW is cartoony but it is much more grim in the way it presents things. Also we don't have that silly emphasis on shoulder pads.

I find it funny that all you do is compare it to WoW and bash on it. At least play the Demo. It starts at by throwing so much gobbledy gock language at you, which I found hilarious. But after the Tutorial I found at that this game is actually pretty deep and offers some interesting lore.

DeadSp8s:
What's it like? I get the impression of Skyrim mixed with Devil May Cry? Who has played it and do you recommend it? Thanks!

Played it and it feels to me sort of like wow, with slightly better fighting mechanics, a bit more interesting visual design and zero multiplayer. I'm pretty disappointed tbh.

Amalur has a lot of content. The ability system is well-implemented, but the levelling is uneven - because there is so much to do, it's easy to get too much XP and find yourself overpowered for the area you're in, which makes the combat a lot less challenging. I can believe it's easily possible to overlevel so you find yourself able to buttonmash your way through.

Try playing it as a pure mage with chakrams or staves, and using magic abilities for your primary damage dealers. I found that to be by far the most entertaining character build.

DeadSp8s:

There seem to be a lot of people here that drank the Skyrim Kool-Aid. If you mention it's between those two, people on Escapist won't really give you a choice. I'll try to give you as unbiased an opinion as I can give on these two.

Skyrim feels a lot bigger and more epic in scale, but a lot of what you will see in dungeons and what not is copy pasted. The game is fairly broken combat wise and very repetitive. Most creatures can be taken down with the same tactics as any other and combat will easily become a never ending cycle of backstrafe/attack or block/attack. Unless you are a rogue then it will become an endless cycle of sneak/backstab. It is very fun but very easy to get stuck in the same motions for every opponent. If you watched Yahtzee's review he hit it pretty spot on for the combat.

The lore of Skyrim is deeper, but a lot of that has to do with the fact that this is the fifth game in the series. If you immerse yourself in the lore you can have a really fun time, especially if you roleplay. But you have to TRY to immerse yourself, if you just go through the motions it will be fairly boring. There are many interesting characters and stories in Skyrim. Once again you have to immerse yourself or else it is boring. Exploration is a blast in the game, it's open and free and you can do whatever whenever.

Combat in Amalur is much more varied. There are a variety of weapons each with it's own playstyle, and then you get a secondary weapon to boot. You can mix and match for a variety of different ways to play. However it is easy to get caught in the motions of smash button smash button smash button. But if you take the time to mix it up you will have a lot more fun and you'll find yourself experimenting and finding new combos without the game even nudging you to do so.

The Lore of Amalur takes a while to get into. It doesn't have 4 other games to back it up so you don't know what to expect when you go into it. It's kind of muddled and thick so it takes a while to break through, but once you do everything becomes interesting. However you it will probably never be as deep and varied as Elder Scrolls.

The environments of Amalur are stunning and varied. Everything looks interesting and magical! However the environment is somewhat restrained and exploration is not as open as in Skyrim. You will see much more interesting things in Amalur, but you probably won't have as much fun going from place to place. Also in Amalur nothing feels copy pasted (at least not yet for me). Every dungeon feels different, no cave feels like another. I haven't even found building that look like each other. It feels like they went and gave everything it's own special detail to make the world feel more unique.

All in all I would say they are about equal in enjoyment.

Zhukov:

veloper:
Try it again against ettins.

Same result.

First against an ettin warpreist and his three wolves, then later against an ettin brute, an ettin shaman and two wolves.

It's obvious he's just making shit up to troll people now. Just ignore him xD.

Anyways, the game is massive, the art style is attractive, combats good all that, you can max all the trade skills on one guy (With ALOT of trainer/skill book hunting and respeccing), respecing is cheap and efficient to do story and quest plot is good for a WRPG, slightly below average compared to everything else, and wolves are bastards, as someone above mentioned.

For negatives, even with all the variety the combat can still get dull before you finish the game, but that has more to do with the fact that most playthroughs will go well beyond 100hours atleast, alot more depending on how many quests you choose to skip and just move on.

Also I can't seem to figure out how ability scaling works, your defense and attack with weapons comes from the armor and weapons themselves, there are no stats other than health and mana, actual attack abilities, like a mages spells for example seem to have static values based on their rank and supporting talents in the tree, and the only way to bring them up is to find or gem a +skill rank bonus onto your gear, which is hard to do, the skills still cap at a certain point over their base rank anyways, (Think rank 6 from levels, and rank 10 with gear), and the passive skills, the ones that scale with your gear anyways, get more benefit from that in the first place. To elaborate, because of how the skill trees work, most abilities you get will reach max rank in one level or two, so by the time your level 20 (Cap is 40), you have 90% of your abilities, and they are all max rank, with 20 levels worth of enemy health and defense growth left to go with no visible increase in damage.

As a final point, stealth, and by extension the assassin playstyle, are a little wonky. They function just fine in that at a high level, you can potentially 1 shot 80% of the enemies your up against, all of them if their facing is unfortunate. But the actual means of stealth detection are a bit annoying, though realistic in that enemies will detect you really, really fast if you get within their frontal 120 degrees, so in situations where you are forced to go past somethings view, your chances of remaining undetected are low, even with the max detection range reduction for capping the stealth skill. That being said, creative use of line of sight, picking off the ones in the back, dodge rolling (Makes you move faster, doesnt increase detection) and the horribly OP smoke bomb ability (In combat vanish, makes you 100% invisible for 6 seconds, bassicly a free backstab on anyone) can still make it perfectly viable to almost never have to fight a group that you havn't already taken a sizeable chunk out of.

Wolves.

From what I played in the demo it seemed pretty enjoyable, combat was fun and I liked the way the story was going. The characters were interesting too, except for a couple of dialogue moments that made me cringe a bit.
One question I have to anybody who owns the game is; How bad are the glitches? In the demo, especially near the end of it, I kept running into glitches that sort of tarnished the experience. Every time I left the shop in one of the villages I was treated to a wonderful view of the negative zone lying in a pool in front of me, combat audio completely stopped working, meaning that every time I smacked a Boggart with my hammer or fried it with lightning it was like watching a colourful silent film, and probably worst of all was when I talked with NPCs it would completely skip all of their dialogue, leaving me confused as to what was going on. I wanted to know what the blonde guy who was possibly a werewolf was doing limping in circles through the forest, but I ended up completing that quest without knowing what the hell I was doing. I thought the game seemed fun, but $60 bucks is pretty steep for a game that might glitch out and drive me crazy. So did they fix most of these in the final version?

ms_sunlight:
Amalur has a lot of content. The ability system is well-implemented, but the levelling is uneven - because there is so much to do, it's easy to get too much XP and find yourself overpowered for the area you're in, which makes the combat a lot less challenging. I can believe it's easily possible to overlevel so you find yourself able to buttonmash your way through.

Ms Sunlight points out one of the key problems with Amalur's progression. As I mentioned earlier, clever use of skills and abilities are unnecessary due to the drastic superiority of straight-up melee, and it could be the fault of the staggering level of content.

Too often I entered new areas of the game and found enemy names already displayed in grey or yellow (indicating that they pose no threat or little threat) before I'd even gotten started there. I'm not sure of how the level scaling works in Amalur, but it doesn't work very well. I suppose one could attempt to rectify this by doing fewer side quests, but it's unreasonable to ask that players ignore content in order to maintain a level of challenge.

I don't know what kind of changes would be necessary to remedy the situation, but I think a good start would be for them to ramp up the damage enemies deal, tone down melee damage slightly and buff up the damage of most of the abilities. They should probably think about allowing blocks/dodges to interrupt melee animations, too.

Innocent Bystander:
From what I played in the demo it seemed pretty enjoyable, combat was fun and I liked the way the story was going. The characters were interesting too, except for a couple of dialogue moments that made me cringe a bit.
One question I have to anybody who owns the game is; How bad are the glitches?

The full game is virtually glitch free. That's not to say that the occasional graphical glitch or camera error doesn't pop up from time to time - they do - but the number of glitches is remarkably few for a game of its size. In my 70~80 hours of play time, I got a few graphical glitches when backstabbing enemies (it made their character model flicker for some reason), the camera lodged itself in the wall once (fixed itself once I moved far enough away) and on one occasion the game didn't load any voice for a character I was talking to. Those are the only glitches I encountered.

Sram:
I like to add that one of my only issue I have with this game is the lack of enemy variation. After the second Country you travel you have allready seen all enemy types.

I pretty much agree 100%.

I thought they were doing really well in this department at first. After all, they're first zone had Brownies, Sprites, Boggarts, Bandits, Wolves, Trolls, Ettins, Undead, Merfolk, Bears, Giant Spiders, Threshes, and a few other things, I can't spell/pronounce. That's a good list for the first area.

Then I got to the second and third areas and realized they have exactly the same creatures, barring one new one per area.

Overall, the game is good, but I really don't feel that it lends itself to multiple playthroughs. My first character was/is really fun, but my second character feels too much like the first, even though they're focusing on completely different trees (Finesse/Magic for the first and Might for the second).

Innocent Bystander:
One question I have to anybody who owns the game is; How bad are the glitches? In the demo, especially near the end of it, I kept running into glitches that sort of tarnished the experience. Every time I left the shop in one of the villages I was treated to a wonderful view of the negative zone lying in a pool in front of me, combat audio completely stopped working, meaning that every time I smacked a Boggart with my hammer or fried it with lightning it was like watching a colourful silent film, and probably worst of all was when I talked with NPCs it would completely skip all of their dialogue, leaving me confused as to what was going on. I wanted to know what the blonde guy who was possibly a werewolf was doing limping in circles through the forest, but I ended up completing that quest without knowing what the hell I was doing. I thought the game seemed fun, but $60 bucks is pretty steep for a game that might glitch out and drive me crazy. So did they fix most of these in the final version?

I had a lot of problems with the demo too, my character didn't have a head for the first 10 minutes, the dialogue had problems, some audio was missing, I had low framerate issues ect. Thankfully, the game runs perfectly. I have been playing it for about 20-25 hours and didn't come across one glitch or problem. Everything loads and sounds good, and my framerate is as it should be.
And in case you are wondering, the blond guy is a wolf, some pixies turned him into a human and he wanted you to get him some water from the moving well so he could turn back.

As a huge fan of Devil May Cry, and the idea of a game where you're able to customize your character to cater to your individual playstyle, I was looking forward to this game *A LOT.*

I feel that there's a bit too much running around through empty fields, and killing minor enemies that pose little to no threat every 20 seconds or so. But once you get into a quest that has you fighting through a dungeon, the game ramps up in the fun department.

The combat system does take some getting used to. If you try to time a parry *JUST* as an attack hits you, you'll get hit, but if you press the block button about half a second before the enemy's attack hits, you'll parry them. Dodge spam doesn't work well because if you roll immediately after recovering from a roll, your character will do the roll, and then pause for a bit before getting up. Also, the teleport dodge move sucks because your character will stay in place for about a quarter second before they actually teleport. I ended up changing my destiny from Fighter-Mage to Fighter just because I wanted the normal dodge roll.

The pacing seems way too uneven. I'm in the second landmass at level 14, I've just beaten

, and I have at least 20 sidequests unfinished. I don't think I'll be doing even half of them because they're too much "Go here, kill this dude that's not really that tough, and then come back to me," And also, I'd end up curbstomping my way through the main story afterwards if I did them.

I get the feeling the game will pick up when I get better at the combat and level up and unlock more moves, or at least when I make myself a Fighter-Rogue hybrid and play the game on Hard. (while I'm not particularly a huge fan of stealth or archery, I do like the Rogue class's emphasis on fast melee attacks and sweet moves like Lunge and Frost Trap.)

Is it really worth $60 though? I played the demo and wasn't impressed but I would be willing to look again, $60 though...

Crono1973:
Is it really worth $60 though? I played the demo and wasn't impressed but I would be willing to look again, $60 though...

Depends. Utility is subjective. What is worth $60 to you? I'd buy five pounds of dryer lint for that much if you put it in a colorful box.

Duck Sandwich:
I do like the Rogue class's emphasis on fast melee attacks and sweet moves like Lunge and Frost Trap.)

Rogue traps are hilarious when you're playing a Fighter/Rogue hybrid. I love setting them down and using the Fighter hookshot ability to yank enemies in to them.

Hal10k:

Crono1973:

Depends. Utility is subjective. What is worth $60 to you? I'd buy five pounds of dryer lint for that much if you put it in a colorful box.

Well, I don't think any game is worth $60 but I am willing to pay $60 for the best games, is this on the same scale as the best games this gen or should this be a $29.99 game?

Crono1973:

Hal10k:

Crono1973:

Well, I don't think any game is worth $60 but I am willing to pay $60 for the best games, is this on the same scale as the best games this gen or should this be a $29.99 game?

Again, utility is subjective. What do you consider to be among the best games this gen, and what made them worth $60 to you?

Hal10k:

Crono1973:

Hal10k:

Again, utility is subjective. What do you consider to be among the best games this gen, and what made them worth $60 to you?

I am not asking you to make up MY mind. I am asking if YOU think it is worth $60.

Arkley:

Innocent Bystander:
One question I have to anybody who owns the game is; How bad are the glitches?

The full game is virtually glitch free. That's not to say that the occasional graphical glitch or camera error doesn't pop up from time to time - they do - but the number of glitches is remarkably few for a game of its size. In my 70~80 hours of play time, I got a few graphical glitches when backstabbing enemies (it made their character model flicker for some reason), the camera lodged itself in the wall once (fixed itself once I moved far enough away) and on one occasion the game didn't load any voice for a character I was talking to. Those are the only glitches I encountered.

Okay, thanks. Glad to hear they managed to get most of those fixed. I still think I'll wait a bit before I buy it though.

Crono1973:

Hal10k:

Crono1973:

I am not asking you to make up MY mind. I am asking if YOU think it is worth $60.

Sure. But I probably have different tastes than you. What is worth that much for me might not be worth as much to you. That's why I was asking.

I had a lot of problems with the demo too, my character didn't have a head for the first 10 minutes, the dialogue had problems, some audio was missing, I had low framerate issues ect. Thankfully, the game runs perfectly. I have been playing it for about 20-25 hours and didn't come across one glitch or problem. Everything loads and sounds good, and my framerate is as it should be.
And in case you are wondering, the blond guy is a wolf, some pixies turned him into a human and he wanted you to get him some water from the moving well so he could turn back.[/quote]

That's good to know. And thanks, I sorta figured that's what happened, but it wasn't clear from the little dialogue I got to hear.

DeadSp8s:
snipped with space age snipping technology

its good, not great, but good. you get pretty, wide open areas to wander around in, a main quest line that's actually interesting, unlike say ... Skyrim ... it that, people actually CARE about the things you do, given that SPOILERS you can bend fate to your will /SPOILERS, which is a touch more impressive then having a Dragon's soul imo

combat wise, its decent, its got its flaws, stun locking being the for most of these issues, its really easy to stun lock enemy's, or have enemy's stun lock you, Wolves and Sons of Laz are (as for as i've seen thus far) really bad about this, but combat on the whole is rarely difficult, even less so while in 'Fate Shift' mode, think Devil Trigger, with a QTE finisher at the end (which is mash one of three buttons for bonus EXP BTW)

as i mentioned about the areas are pretty big, i've been in 2 forested areas, a desert, and starting on the plains now, and all have been a sight to behold, in a cartoony kinda way, which isn't a bad thing imo

over all if you want a FUN RPG to kill another chunk of time between cradle and grave, i say go for it, and besides, its a new IP, it deserves a look for NOT being a squeal if nothing else

Frozengale:

RT-Medic-with-shotgun:
The art style reminded me too much of Wow, that made me laugh, i realized i would not be able to take jack seriously in that game, lets plays i watched showed a very narrow opening area. I realize its supposed to be a forest(i think) but did they have to make it surrounded by giant canyons that cannot be scaled? ITs world design reminded me greatly of WoW, aesthetic reminded me of WoW, combat would have been cool if i cared about over the top games like that, apparently full of fetch quests. I got the impression of WoW and it held up to that on everything except voice and combat. Though like Warhammer online i could not stand the human females voice.

DeadSp8s:

Skyrims mod capability makes it endless fun but amalur is no where near as good looking. May be a plus on a low spec PC though. Since amalur was built to be an MMO at first(and lordy it shows)the aesthetic was built to be run well on a low spec PC while still be attractive. Go watch a few good lets plays or first impressions before you buy.

Skyrim tends to take a dip into the Uncanny Valley a little bit to much for my tastes. I would say that Amalur looks 10x better then Skyrim. There aren't many fetch quests really, not anymore then Skyrim or any other RPG. In fact I like the quests in Amalur better. I feel like I have a reason. My favorite quest so far was when I chased after a Fae called the Widow who was terrorizing a town. I went to go kill her, she said she would offer me amnesty in the Webwood if I went and destroyed the town for her. So I did, now the whole town is mine pretty much. The aesthetic looks a bit like WoW, but not really. WoW take a bit gritter aesthetic approach where this is more fanciful. It has lighter tones then WoW does and nothing is meant to look like it's real world counterpart. WoW is cartoony but it is much more grim in the way it presents things. Also we don't have that silly emphasis on shoulder pads.

I find it funny that all you do is compare it to WoW and bash on it. At least play the Demo. It starts at by throwing so much gobbledy gock language at you, which I found hilarious. But after the Tutorial I found at that this game is actually pretty deep and offers some interesting lore.

I have no interest in playing the game which is why i tried not to flat out hate on it or lampoon it with ridiculous accusations like you did Skyrim. Really? Skyrim is in the uncanny valley? Could have fooled me. And by comparing its aesthetic to WoW i was relating the style not quality. Both are cartoonish and want to be taken seriously. A very hard feat to accomplish. In fact it is only the most die hard fanatics of WoW that take it seriously. Amalur is still cartoonish and yes meant to be fanciful but its aesthetic makes it harder for me to take it seriously. A negative in my book since if i cannot take it seriously i wont play the RPG. Yeah its a shame Skyrim doesn't update so heavily to quests but then its a giant world and doing so is a massive bug risk they could not account for. So we wait for mods to do so. As for the setting i am tapped out on settings. Maybe when i finally get sick of 40k there would be room for amalur but at the moment i am tapped out. I cannot see myself getting invested in another for quite some time. At least not with my current schedule.

Not bashing on it merely saying why i cannot get into it. If i were bashing on it i would be ranting about the lack of Dwarves, lack of things laying around to steal, and the hack and slash super hero combat. Maybe the MMO and it shows comment was bashing but i would have preferred it stay an MMO with that combat. Solid looking combat and it would have made a killing as an MMO.

Hal10k:

Crono1973:

Hal10k:

Sure. But I probably have different tastes than you. What is worth that much for me might not be worth as much to you. That's why I was asking.

Ok thanks, downloading the demo again.

RT-Medic-with-shotgun:
I have no interest in playing the game which is why i tried not to flat out hate on it or lampoon it with ridiculous accusations like you did Skyrim. Really? Skyrim is in the uncanny valley? Could have fooled me. And by comparing its aesthetic to WoW i was relating the style not quality. Both are cartoonish and want to be taken seriously. A very hard feat to accomplish. In fact it is only the most die hard fanatics of WoW that take it seriously. Amalur is still cartoonish and yes meant to be fanciful but its aesthetic makes it harder for me to take it seriously. A negative in my book since if i cannot take it seriously i wont play the RPG. Yeah its a shame Skyrim doesn't update so heavily to quests but then its a giant world and doing so is a massive bug risk they could not account for. So we wait for mods to do so. As for the setting i am tapped out on settings. Maybe when i finally get sick of 40k there would be room for amalur but at the moment i am tapped out. I cannot see myself getting invested in another for quite some time. At least not with my current schedule.

Not bashing on it merely saying why i cannot get into it. If i were bashing on it i would be ranting about the lack of Dwarves, lack of things laying around to steal, and the hack and slash super hero combat. Maybe the MMO and it shows comment was bashing but i would have preferred it stay an MMO with that combat.

Lol I'm sorry, but my one comment about how Skyrims Characters tend to be a bit creepy looking at times is hardly a lampoon or ridiculous accusation. Since when did cartoonish mean you can't take it seriously. I have had Cartoons/Animes strike a chord with me much more then some other stories that are presented in a realistic format.

I like how you say you are not bashing on it... then bash on it.

What does lack of Dwarfs have to do with anything by the way? Just because a fantasy does not have dwarfs does that make it less of a fantasy? You have some very strange conceptions of things.

Frozengale:

RT-Medic-with-shotgun:

Not bashing on it merely saying why i cannot get into it. If i were bashing on it i would be ranting about the lack of Dwarves, lack of things laying around to steal, and the hack and slash super hero combat. Maybe the MMO and it shows comment was bashing but i would have preferred it stay an MMO with that combat.

Lol I'm sorry, but my one comment about how Skyrims Characters tend to be a bit creepy looking at times is hardly a lampoon or ridiculous accusation. Since when did cartoonish mean you can't take it seriously. I have had Cartoons/Animes strike a chord with me much more then some other stories that are presented in a realistic format.

I like how you say you are not bashing on it... then bash on it.

What does lack of Dwarfs have to do with anything by the way? Just because a fantasy does not have dwarfs does that make it less of a fantasy? You have some very strange conceptions of things.

While some characters look ugly i find uncanny valley to be the wrong term to describe them. Thats what i meant by ridiculous. Cartoonish in a video game makes it hard to take it seriously. The exaggerated features, landmarks, and armor are often made to look like jokes working in conjunction with the aesthetic. If it were animated while less over the top it could be taken seriously by me. As it stands a cartoonish aesthetic is hard for me to take seriously.

What you perceive as bashing i see as stating my opinions on the game. And rather calmly at that.
That was the point. If i were hating and bashing i would have gone for everything plus the kitchen sink. Subsequently the lack of Dwarves while elves/elf like creatures being top. Just like so many settings are doing. Trim the other races(dwarves, orcs, goblins, gribblies, etc) and keep the elves for fan service and arbitrary story. It bores me to remove so many fantasy races but keep the ones that can provide fanservice or comic relief via explosions and steampunk gadgetry. Not any less of a fantasy it just seems built to appeal to a mass audience.

RT-Medic-with-shotgun:

While some characters look ugly i find uncanny valley to be the wrong term to describe them. Thats what i meant by ridiculous. Cartoonish in a video game makes it hard to take it seriously. The exaggerated features, landmarks, and armor are often made to look like jokes working in conjunction with the aesthetic. If it were animated while less over the top it could be taken seriously by me. As it stands a cartoonish aesthetic is hard for me to take seriously.

What you perceive as bashing i see as stating my opinions on the game. And rather calmly at that.
That was the point. If i were hating and bashing i would have gone for everything plus the kitchen sink. Subsequently the lack of Dwarves while elves/elf like creatures being top. Just like so many settings are doing. Trim the other races(dwarves, orcs, goblins, gribblies, etc) and keep the elves for fan service and arbitrary story. It bores me to remove so many fantasy races but keep the ones that can provide fanservice or comic relief via explosions and steampunk gadgetry. Not any less of a fantasy it just seems built to appeal to a mass audience.

Yes because Gnomes provide so much fan service. And what's wrong with having elves. There is barely anything that could be considered fan service as far as I have seen. There is one character that dresses scantily from my 15 hours of play so far. Yes she is an elf, but I have seen several dozens of other elves not scantily clad. You seem to think that having one fantasy race means that they should have them all. They have Humans, Gnomes, Elves. I don't see the problem. There is no comic relief via explosions that I have seen. No Steampunk gadgetry. Nothing about this would suggest it's just trying to appeal to as many individuals as possible. The entire story and setting shifts away from your normal Tolkien high-fantasy and instead is trying to derive a new setting with only passing similarity to the high-fantasy cliches we have. There is nothing about the story or setting that feels cliche, it takes elements from high-fantasy and builds something new from them. Isn't this how ingenuity is supposed to go? Take something that already exists and make it better, make it different, make it your own. I think Amalur has done that better then most of the games I've seen in the past 4 or 5 years.

I was using Dwarves(being my favorite) as the short example of races being trimmed for the sake of making the game prettier/cuter. Fan service by removing the ugly things and replacing it with elves or elf like beings. Its done for broader appeal. I don't think they should have all but i think they should design the backgrounds less around mass appeal and more towards diversity. Take what exists but don't make it prettier actually improve it. My comments on races can be summed up with 'why all the elves? dark elves, light elves, summer fae(see elf like begins) winter fae, tuatha.' I just feel like the story exempts the "ugly" things in favor or so many "pretty" things was done for mass appeal and fan service and if i wee to nitpick that would be on the list. Probably should have been more specific. See the gnomes? Yeah all those over sized gears and pipes? Thats what i was talking about. I assumed explosions because why not make the gnomes slightly incompetent. I guess they didn't do that.

If i were to bash it with everything plus the kitchen sink i would be nitpicking like a mad man and the extra helping of fan service would be on the list.

RT-Medic-with-shotgun:
I just feel like the story exempts the "ugly" things in favor or so many "pretty" things was done for mass appeal and fan service

A story which starts with the player's character waking up on a pile of decomposing corpses is favouring the pretty? Just like your use of the word "exempt(s)", I'm not sure you know what you're talking about at all.

I've not played lots of it myself yet but spent some time watching my other half; it's one of the most original RPGs I've seen in years. I can't comment on the later pacing but overall it's so fresh I'd be more than willing to overlook other flaws as long as they weren't major. I'll report back when I've put in enough time for a lengthy post.

RT-Medic-with-shotgun:
I was using Dwarves(being my favorite) as the short example of races being trimmed for the sake of making the game prettier/cuter. Fan service by removing the ugly things and replacing it with elves or elf like beings. Its done for broader appeal. I don't think they should have all but i think they should design the backgrounds less around mass appeal and more towards diversity. Take what exists but don't make it prettier actually improve it. My comments on races can be summed up with 'why all the elves? dark elves, light elves, summer fae(see elf like begins) winter fae, tuatha.' I just feel like the story exempts the "ugly" things in favor or so many "pretty" things was done for mass appeal and fan service and if i wee to nitpick that would be on the list. Probably should have been more specific. See the gnomes? Yeah all those over sized gears and pipes? Thats what i was talking about. I assumed explosions because why not make the gnomes slightly incompetent. I guess they didn't do that.

If i were to bash it with everything plus the kitchen sink i would be nitpicking like a mad man and the extra helping of fan service would be on the list.

They aren't trimming. Like I said having one fantasy race does not mean you have to include them all. I'm sure if they DID have dwarfs they would be just as cute and pretty. The aesthetic is bright and fanciful, there are plenty of ugly things in it such as Kobolds, Sprites, Trolls. They are just very vibrant and bright, like everything else. This is not "Fan-service" this is a stylistic approach. Some games make everything dark and gritty, some games make everything curvy and twisted, and some games make everything bright and fanciful.

Gears and Pipes do not Steampunk make. It's called industry. Steampunk is a specific characterization which the Gnomes in this game do not follow. Industry != Steampunk.

You seem to think that if it doesn't fit in to what you think a fantasy setting should be then it is "fan-service" or some form of pandering. It's just how they decided to do things. In fact to me it is a breath of fresh air. Everyone is trying to do dark, gritty, or realistic things these days. It's nice to have a game where I can just look on in amazement at the beauty and majesty of a land and it's inhabitants.

Hisshiss:

Zhukov:

veloper:
Try it again against ettins.

Same result.

First against an ettin warpreist and his three wolves, then later against an ettin brute, an ettin shaman and two wolves.

Trolling.

Trolling who exactly? How?

The game's combat is simplistic and poorly balanced. Don't accuse me of trolling because of that.

Hell, try the eyes closed thing for yourself. You may be surprised.

Zhukov:

Hisshiss:

Zhukov:

Same result.

Trolling.

Trolling who exactly? How?

The game's combat is simplistic and poorly balanced. Don't accuse me of trolling because of that.

Hell, try the eyes closed thing for yourself. You may be surprised.

I did try it. He is right you can do this. However I was in an area where I was a bit higher level, once I went into an area where I was more on par with the enemies I could no longer do this.

I tried the demo again, it still didn't impress me. I still have 35 minutes left on the demo but I just didn't care enough to keep playing.

Thing is, I just didn't care about the story. Well of Souls and all that just makes me want to watch Indiana Jones more than it makes me want to play this game. The leveling system looked cool and I could see paying $30 just to build up my character but did anyone else (playing with a 360 controller) have the problem where you would swing at some boxes and your character would turn around and swing at thin air?

Im having an absolute blast with the game. I'm easily going to place it on one of my top RPGs list. I think the combat suits the game perfectly by combining skill-based action and leveling of your character into how well you can perform. And, while I made it quite a ways into the game just mashing the X button, some of the enemies definitely require blocking and dodging. I mean, some enemies shoot homing projectiles at you that REQUIRE blocking, anyone that says they can mash the X button nonstop either hasn't played much, or is over-simplifying the gameplay.

I can't say Reckoning has the most fleshed out world, but to be fair this is the company's first game and I can't expect them to flesh out an entire world in one game. It's taken Bethesda years to get their games to where they are now. But what Reckoning does have on offer is really something great. And it's definitely nice to play a fantasy game that isn't all dark and brooding like almost every other western rpg lately. Reckoning's world is bright, colorful, and has some really imaginative enemy types that are all excellently animated.

The sound is the only thing I can't really gush about. The music is fine, and it doesn't sound out of place or anything, but it's nothing that I got stuck in my head like the Skyrim theme song. And this also applies to some sound effects. Almost all sound fine, but other, like the hammers, for example, sound a bit wimpy when they hit something. But then you get a hammer with an elemental effect and it's like God falcon-punched the earth so yahiguessthat'scool.

So yah, that's my opinion on Reckoning.

TL;DR - I think it's awesome bro.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked