Bioware forums explode as Mass Effect 3 ending details are leaked. *MINOR SPOILERS*

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 18 NEXT

TheRealJLars:
Let's talk serious here.

Was anyone actually expecting anything different? Honestly.

Because I certainly wasn't.

When you end up in a situation like this, there's no such thing as a happy ending.
There's no such thing as a satisfying ending either.

At the end of the day, if the game as a whole (by which I mean the base game) is worth the price of admission, then I really don't care either way how it ends. If it isn't... then go outside. Play some sports with your friends. Chill with your lady/man. Support your local music scene. Laugh. Smile. Life's not so bad.

Sincerely,
A resident of the statistically least happy city in the US.

Stockton, California?
(Filler for small post to not get banned)

Basically before DA2 bioware had a unique in the industry (Except maybe Bethesda) reputation that every game they make is brilliant then they reduced to the some of their games are good, others aren't as good status that every other devs have and it was just too much for some people to take.

I'm thrilled actually! I intend to sacrifice my Shepard anyway. A proper story ends with the main character's death.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Can anyone post a link to a thread on the Bioware forums? I would love to go see if they have changed anything (already read the older leaks) but I cant BECAUSE THE FUCKING WEBSITE KEEPS REDIRECTING ME TO THE GERMAN ONE JESUS FUCKING CHRIST I HATE IT WHEN THEY DO THIS I MEAN FUCK

Come on, at least give me the option to choose which website I visit, but no. Fucking hell.

Well, here is one of the bigger threads.

Here's a pastebin version of the "leak", as well. It seems kind of sketchy to me, though.

OT: It seems that they might have changed one of the endings from the leaked script.

Read the OP of the spoiler thread and it really doesn't sound that bad.

Basically I just read 2 pages of the Bioware forums... It's basically a bunch of guys sad because they will lose control over the story and can't have a happy ending where Shep shags all the Normandy Crew and rides off to the space sunset to have more sexy adventures... I mean really?? Lol the game isn't even out :P

It's really not that big a deal, they obviously want to set the tone for future mass effect games.

kman123:
Goddamnit...I really want to look at the ending but I also don't. Oh the moral dilemmas.

Um...I'm actually psyched. Depressing? FINALLY A GAME THAT HAS THE BALLS TO NOT PULL OUT THE BULLSHIT HAPPY ENDING!

Someone didn't play Drakengard. Even the best ending was pretty much a downer. And except for the novelty ending, which was more "lol wtf" than anything else, they all got worse. Which was an interesting subversion of the usual norm, but also a giant "screw you," since the gameplay and plot were kind of tedious.

Part of me actually saw this coming. I imagine one of the final choices will be something like; you survive but your crew dies or you die but your crew survives. If its a choice like that than looks like Sheps life is over, the needs of the many outweighing the few and all.

Guys, guys, don't worry. You'll all get over it. There will be much better games and in 20 years time you prolly won't even remember playing the game anyway.

There....didn't that make you feel better? XD

Well, I'll wait and see for myself when I actually play the game. But if all this is true, then good for BioWare. Truly. I get so tired of writers resorting to a deus ex machina because they have written themselves into a hole in which no possible or realistic resolution could fix the problem.

BioWare has spent the last five years or so telling us that the Reapers are unstoppable. That they have powers that no sentient or organic species could possibly comprehend. They are also completely mysterious, thought to be a myth. And this cycle has been repeating itself for millions of years.

To suddenly be able to defeat them and have everything be wine and roses at the end would absolutely be the proverbial "god out of the machine" moment. Pun intended.

SillyBear:

So Bioware talks the talk but can't walk the walk. So much for the "hundreds and thousands of variables from the previous games."

Screw this, I'm outta here.

I don't know why all the ME mega fans want to find out about the spoilers for the end of the game before it drops.

Finding it out in the game itself is much better.

spectrenihlus:

TheRealJLars:
....go outside. Play some sports with your friends. Chill with your lady/man. Support your local music scene. Laugh. Smile. Life's not so bad.

Sincerely,

Stockton, California?
(Filler for small post to not get banned)

lol Surprisingly, no.

God's Waiting Room: St. Petersburg, FL.

Between our rapidly aging population, the weather, stagnating local businesses, a horrible baseball stadium (and football team), dreadful school system, and extremely high unemployment, I'm not the least bit surprised that the TB area have more people on anti-depressants and committing suicide than anywhere else.
Although I'm looking at the Men's Health survey, which is the most recent.

OT: I need to stop coming to these spoiler forums. I'm still optimistic about the final product and this is certainly coloring that. At least there's only one week to go.

beniki:
Remember when people used to like Bioware?

A lot of people still do, they blame EA for mucking everything up.

Also, I couldn't find exactly what made everyone so incredibly ticked. The only two things I found that ticked people off were the downer ending (which I think is GOOD) or the lack of consequences to your choices in previous games (which I totally saw coming, unless you wanted the game to be in development for another three years). None of that really ticks me off.

-Dragmire-:

Elfgore:
Oh well that sucks but I mean they are only being realistic. Think about an army of giant death robots attack the world. Even if we stop them the damage, both emotionally and physically would be huge. I mean a nice ending would be nice, just make it hard to get.

Heh, imagine if it was all a dream of some present day person and the Mass Effect Universe was canonically fiction.

It wasnt Jenkings who got shot on Eden Prime, It was Shepard, and in the last moments, as life escaped breath by breath, a final dream came into realization. An illusion off all life in the universe being dependent on Shepard for guidance and leadership, and that of a heroic sacrifice to let it all end happily for others.

Here Lies Shepard on Eden Prime.

Spitfire:
I think that giving ME3 a bittersweet ending is the smartest idea that Bioware have had in quite a while, amidst all their attempts to streamline the series.
What I want from ME3 is closure; not some convoluted happy ending just for the sake of.

Well the whole thing gives me bad flashbacks to the Expansion of Baldurs Gate 2, the Throne of Baal

TheRealJLars:
Let's talk serious here.

Was anyone actually expecting anything different? Honestly.

Because I certainly wasn't.

When you end up in a situation like this, there's no such thing as a happy ending.
There's no such thing as a satisfying ending either.

At the end of the day, if the game as a whole (by which I mean the base game) is worth the price of admission, then I really don't care either way how it ends. If it isn't... then go outside. Play some sports with your friends. Chill with your lady/man. Support your local music scene. Laugh. Smile. Life's not so bad.

Sincerely,

If the leaks are true, and I do everything right in the game and get the TANG ending, then my crew is stuck on Gilligans Island and the Doctor and Mary Anne Die.

That is not a very satisfactory ending for me, specially if I wanted to Romance the Doctor or Mary Anne, Yes this about Space Waifus/Husbandos, Yes I understand its irrational, No I am not going to calm down.

(I haven't read the endings.)

All I can say is that far too often, we see a shoehorned "happy ending" where there just shouldn't. I would prefer an ending where the Reapers have a motivation, a reason, and actually win, instead of "a flawless victory of humanity against a cliché threat" any day.

This is why you dont read anything about a game or film you have interest in. MS3 could either end awesome or crap. I will find out myself when the game is out. People just want to read every bit of info on a game and then moan when its spoiled.

And thus with a resounding crash I finally cease to give a shit about any of Biowares future projects, not that they can't bounce back, but at this moment Bioware is now EA 2 to me

My problem isn't with the endings themselves, but more the fact that your choices in the first two games seem to have little effect on the endings in the third game.

cdstephens:
My problem isn't with the endings themselves, but more the fact that your choices in the first two games seem to have little effect on the endings in the third game.

I completely agree with you and I in fact wrote a whole lot about this fact in the other thread about endings and such.

I was misguided into thinking my choices would have a pay off with the 3rd game, they dont, they just shift the varying degrees of the stock ending.

boag:

TheRealJLars:
snip

If the leaks are true, and I do everything right in the game and get the TANG ending, then my crew is stuck on Gilligans Island and the Doctor and Mary Anne Die.

That is not a very satisfactory ending for me, specially if I wanted to Romance the Doctor or Mary Anne, Yes this about Space Waifus/Husbandos, Yes I understand its irrational, No I am not going to calm down.

It's a legitimate enough reason for me, irrational as it may be. I was expecting Space Waifus just as much as the next guy.

If Mass Effect were more prone to self-parody than it is, the thought of a Mass Effect version of Gilligan's Island with the remaining crew would be one of the most ridiculous and hilarious things I've ever heard. But clearly it's not.

My guess is that there's a catch somewhere, where we get some sort of real romance closure prior to the Titanic sinking. But that's probably either a given or painfully optimistic.

cdstephens:

To be fair, it's a modern bioware game. Those aren't exactly known for C&C.

I really want to rush over there and see what's happening; fanrage is always fun.But I don't want it to be spoiled. Can someone tell me;

Is the rage mainly about the lack of a super happy ending?
Are bittersweet endings possible? In many ways those are my favorite types of endings.
Are there giant plot holes involved?
Is some sort of bad plot device/trope used?
In what way do your "choices not matter?" In the linear story sense, in the cameo-only sense, etc?

Be vague please. Thanks!

About 75% focused closer to Resistance.

Awesome. Mass Effect 3 will probably be my personal game of the year. Not only has it angered many, many people, but it's also not afraid of having a depressing ending, which is my favourate kind of ending.

To be honest, I was expecting Shepard rallying all the different species and their armies and fighting back, finding a deus ex machina which destroys all the reapers, Shepard lives the rest of his life with who ever he had sex with, The End. A fairly shit The End.

Also, it's nice reading all the thread replies in the first page and not seeing a single spoiler. And no, I'm not reading what ever links take me to BioWare's forums.

Substitute Troll:
I'm thrilled actually! I intend to sacrifice my Shepard anyway. A proper story ends with the main character's death.

FUCK.

Do you know how easy it is to read something you don't want? Fairly. That's the answer.

I just read your post and now you just spoiled a large chunk of the ending for me.

Thanks, Sir Spoil-a-lot of Endington.

MiloP:
If you really cared about avoiding spoilers then maybe clicking a thread with a spoiler warning right there in the title wasn't your greatest move :D

I assumed there will be spoiler tags and links to another website where the spoilers actually are, but instead someone decided to make their entire post which was a few places before mine a single major spoiler. I'd say it was his fault. =/

cdstephens:

Ehh, there seem to be multiple endings. So that's just blatantly untrue.

Besides, if there was a set of choices that would make for a happy ending then any other set of choices would be perceived as bad. Which is pretty much against the philosophy of the whole game.

Animyr:
I really want to rush over there and see what's happening; fanrage is always fun.But I don't want it to be spoiled. Can someone tell me;

Is the rage mainly about the lack of a super happy ending?
Are bittersweet endings possible? In many ways those are my favorite types of endings.
Are there giant plot holes involved?
Is some sort of bad plot device/trope used?
In what way do your "choices not matter?" In the linear story sense, in the cameo-only sense, etc?

Be vague please. Thanks!

Um, in order:

Yes.
So many of them, appearantly.
Not as far as I can tell.
Aside from the one seen in the Mars footage? No.
Something in the middle.

I should point out, that chances are most of this is coming from someone who got a copy of the leaked script from the scandal a few months ago and/or is making shit up.

After thinking about this overnight, something occurred to me. Isn't there some kind of post-game where you go around finishing all the stuff you missed? If that's so, is it the DA:O kind that zaps you back in time to before the PoNR, or like ME2's where you play after the final showdown?

Kahunaburger:
it's a modern bioware game. Those aren't exactly known for C&C.

And teh Old Republic Was?

or lets just jump back further in time, BALDURS GATE?

This modern Bioware card people keep playing is bullshit, Bioware has not declined at all, its always had the same rehashed cliches and the same contrived endings.

cdstephens:

well consider how much time and resources it would take to make it so those choices mattered.
considering every choice would make the complexity of the game grow exponentially. there is point where you just have to stop.

As for the endings
Why is anyone surprised?

the reapers were galaxy murdering machines of death that have successfully erased ALL life in the ME universe SEVERAL TIMES. A single reaper in Me one completely demolished fleets of ships before it died.

as soon as I finished ME I guessed that those would be the endings. except for the Normandy thing .. that was lame.

Gone Rampant:
[quote="Animyr" post="9.352490.13977346"]I should point out, that chances are most of this is coming from someone who got a copy of the leaked script from the scandal a few months ago and/or is making shit up.

But appearantly everyone's still up in arms, from what I hear. Is that explanation discredited or just not well known?

Huh. I've always had faith in ME games and it's a shame this one appearantly has problems, but in truth it doesn't shock me too much. As long as I can get some good story moments I can probably forgive the linearity. Oh, is it linear in the ME2 sense? Better or worse?

Now...should I kill off shepard, or Tali? Choices choices.

saltychipmunk:

cdstephens:

well consider how much time and resources it would take to make it so those choices mattered.

X < Y= Sad End

X = Y = ok End

X > Y = Awesome End

X Being the Galactic readiness points.

Also your argument is flawed in the essence that most of your choices will be presented in a little ending sequence, yet the one big prerogative about the state of the Galatic Civilization is something that will not change no matter what choices you make.

boag:

Kahunaburger:
it's a modern bioware game. Those aren't exactly known for C&C.

And teh Old Republic Was?

or lets just jump back further in time, BALDURS GATE?

This modern Bioware card people keep playing is bullshit, Bioware has not declined at all, its always had the same rehashed cliches and the same contrived endings.

Does modern Bio having little to no major C&C preclude old Bio having the same?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 18 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked