5.4% (15)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: God I miss Isometric

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Vegosiux:

boag:

Tayh:
Isometric was awesome.
I hate how everything has to be converted to FPS/TPS perspective these days.

My favourite games are still Fallout 2, Baldur's Gate series and Planescape:Torment.
I wish someone would make a decent sequel to those games.

Fallout 2 and Baldurs Gate pretty much fucked themselves over with their endings, how would you go go about making decent sequels to clusterfucks like those, if you arent satisfied with what came from one of them?

Clusterfucked? Clusterfucked!? Since when is a story well told and closed properly instead of being a sequell hook translated into "clusterfucked"?

I agree, they ended so that sequels are impossible, but that's in this case a good thing.

Also, bring in some isometric, but hmm, didn't Bastion try it and pulled it off rather well actually?

If you are pleased with the close lid endings, then why are you asking for sequels?

The endings themselves pretty much shut the door down on any continuation of the story for the characters you used.

As For Bastion, I played it, found it mildly entertaining, the story was a mess and the ending felt very contrived, did like the design choice and art in general, but didnt really feel like playing it again.

The stronghold series was at its best when in iso (stronghold 1 and stronghold crusader).

Also the sierra city building series is one of the best for city builders (The last good one being emperor: rise of the middle kingdom) and those where all iso until Caesar 4.

Know what I loved about Sonic 3D blast?

Nothing. It fucking sucked because of the godawful perspective.

...not that I can really say that's representative of the isometric perspective's strengths, but...

boag:

If you are pleased with the close lid endings, then why are you asking for sequels?

I'm not, actually. BG and PS:T are something I never, ever ever ever want anyone attempting a sequel to. Ever. And if BioWare are going to actually pull something like that with the recent rumors, well...

What I am saying is that I'm partial to isometric and wish for the return, even if only as a niche thing.

Lunncal:
Cheap and beautiful, I definitely miss it, despite the fact that I wasn't actually gaming much when it was the standard. It's a lot easier to make a good looking game in a 2d isometric format than it is a full 3d one, so ideally it would either allow games of greater scale to be created for the same cost, or allow riskier games to be developed due to the lesser budget.

Good post. Somebody understands the disadvantages of 'da new shit'.

Anyone play Alundra PS1(which is now on PSN)?

Personally, it's my favorite Zelda game.

Isometric, while a tiny bit confusing for the non-gamer, is a good thing. It gives a sense of depth and scale better than simple top-down perspective. Many good games did use it, and I agree with the sentiment that it should be brought back.

Snes Shadowrun.... did what few games at the time could.

Vegosiux:

boag:

I'm not, actually. BG and PS:T are something I never, ever ever ever want anyone attempting a sequel to. Ever. And if BioWare are going to actually pull something like that with the recent rumors, well...

What I am saying is that I'm partial to isometric and wish for the return, even if only as a niche thing.

Technically you can still have sequels that don't follow the same storyline/characters. Like what was planned for Baldur's Gate 3: The Black Hound before Black Isle went under....*sigh*

I'd love to see a modern take on it, though I guess it DOES exist in many a turn-based RPG.

I appreciated the view for the qualities it had, but it was a horried POV for many types of game. I wouldn't be against seeing it more, however, as long as it's used when and where it belongs.

Vegosiux:

boag:

As far as the mainstream devs go, I would only trust Obsidian to do anything that has to with a d&d crpg.

Apparently your wishes could have been answered.

http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/891702-bioware-veteran-teases-new-baldurs-gate-game

I'd say that if BG3 is in fact going to be made it would probably be isometric, just nicer looking (though I still think the originals aged incredibly well considering). If it isn't well, cue shitstorm from the hardcore.

Anthraxus:

Lunncal:
Cheap and beautiful, I definitely miss it, despite the fact that I wasn't actually gaming much when it was the standard. It's a lot easier to make a good looking game in a 2d isometric format than it is a full 3d one, so ideally it would either allow games of greater scale to be created for the same cost, or allow riskier games to be developed due to the lesser budget.

-snip-

Except that perspective has nothing to do with that at all.

Do give the Spiderweb games (Geneforge/Avernum) a try some time. They're rather excellent RPGs, especially Geneforge, and also all isometric. I think you might like them.

Doitpow:
By all that is holy I miss isometric perspective.

Baldur's Gate, Red Alert 2, Age of Empires 2, Diablo 1 and 2, Fallout 1 and 2. Pretty much 90% of all decent PC gaming experiences used it back in the day. Man isometric perspective rocked.

Why does no one make isometric RPGs anymore? Even on handheld's they're super rare. The iPhone should have at least one decent one.
Why does every RTS need to be able to swing cameras around like crazy? They don't. It's stupid.

So yeah...Anyone with me?
miss isometric?
Want it back?
what were your favorite isometric games?

hey how could you forget the Tales! Great game btw

I miss it about as much as I miss games with fixed cameras.

In other words BWAHAHAHA WHY THE FUCK WOULD I MISS THAT? Seriously, it was a cheap way to give the illusion of 3D, it was a top-down with a few smoke and mirrors thrown in. It's good for games where you need to see a lot, when individual units are not important, When you're a commander and not really a participant, RTS's for example...but not for anything else.

Modern RTS's (starcraft 2, for exmaple) work well with that kind of view for the above reasons, but RPG's...no. Not anymore.

evilneko:

Anthraxus:

Lunncal:

-snip-

Except that perspective has nothing to do with that at all.

I'm not just talking about the perspective only, but that's part of the equation. Creating a 3d game, having to animate all the monsters/characters, having full voice acting.. All these things drive up the costs alot and cause them to dumb the game down in other areas, because now they have to market it to a wider audience to get their money back. (and then some, of course)

First Person perspective is infinitely superior to all other views for all games.

Isometric is okay in some circumstances, but there's nothing inherently better about it. All you people praising its glory just have nostalgia filters on. It's not bad, and it still works, and is even preferred for some genres (RTS), it's just not as amazing as some of you seem to think it is.

Ultima 8 (at least I think that one counts as isometric) killed my love for isometric, my god the jumping puzzles, WHY!

But I still enjoyed them at the time, I don't really see them doing well in this day and age though

No. I will not sign the praises of an arbitrary design decision. It's pointless and dumb. A single design decision does not a good game make and I will fight to the death anyone who thinks otherwise. There is more to making good games then just one thing that in and of itself bears little weight and I don't support ideas that imply otherwise they trivialize and fragment gaming.

I'm actually really surprised most indie devs completely ignore it, the view offers such huge benefits over camera hassle.
Not saying every game should have it but there are a whole sea of platformers and puzzle games that try to cram in FPS/TPS and they just fail so miserably with that kind of gameplay.

Heck I would just prefer it as a choice to pull the camera out, that way everyone is happy.

Tanakh:
isometic inspired

isometric inspired?
ISOMETRIC INSPIRED?!

HERESY!!!

Aisaku:
Snes Shadowrun.... did what few games at the time could.

yummy that game was batshit crazy-awesome

boag:
Fallout 2 and Baldurs Gate pretty much fucked themselves over with their endings, how would you go go about making decent sequels to clusterfucks like those, if you arent satisfied with what came from one of them?

It doesn't have to have the same lead characters.
Similar game design and same enviroment/setting would do it for me.
I must admit I haven't finished Baldur's Gate 2 yet, so I don't know how that ends, but there's plenty of opportunity to create sequels from where Fallout 2 ended, it doesn't even have to be contained within NA.

I only really played the first Diablo, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and, Megaman Battle Network in Isometric. I played a little bit of the first 2 Fallout games too and I think it would be a good idea to bring it back. The last 3 console games I bought were all first person and the last 4 I played were as well. It's gotten really old at this point and while 3rd person is fine, a new isometric game could do what Symphony of the Night did (ie: utilize a dated perspective so as to load up the game with insane amounts of playable content instead of using that same disc space on making things look pretty).

Also played a lot of the original Star Craft: fun times, especially when using those Nukes.

Technically it's an inferior view.

I would rather prefer a complete birds eye view so we don't get the bullshit "blind spots". Oh how they pissed me off. But it was a very cheap way to bring in a 3rd dimension. I try and get either a top-down or isometric view when playing dragon age: origins for example, instead of the 3rd person view. If I had to pick between isometric and 3rd person for controlling multiple characters, I would pick isometric every time.

I guess I do miss that type of isometric game. They're good. But I liked them for story/mechanical reasons, not because of they're viewpoint. That's not to say I don't like it, it's a perfectly functional system. It's just that developers had to use it if they wanted to make such expansive games. Now we have the technology to do that kind of stuff in a huge pretty open world but the actual RPG stuff has been cut back because it doesn't have widespread appeal and it doesn't make money for the publishers. So no one makes them. Which sucks. So if bringing back isometric would bring back that particular style of game I'm all for it.

*cough* *cough* Eschalon *cough* *cough*

And I for one really like that perspective. Still I wanna see more games with top down perspective that aren't JRPGs.

I liked that Dragon Age Origins combined two view points.

When I was exploring I could go 3rd person and experience all the beautiful views and stuff from a normal perspective.

But when I got into a big battle I'd go into isometric viewpoint mode and I could have complete control over my party. It was awesome

Also one of my favourite RPGs ever so it definitely did something right.

Tayh:

boag:

It doesn't have to have the same lead characters.
Similar game design and same enviroment/setting would do it for me.
I must admit I haven't finished Baldur's Gate 2 yet, so I don't know how that ends, but there's plenty of opportunity to create sequels from where Fallout 2 ended, it doesn't even have to be contained within NA.

Baldur's Gate 2 Throne of Bhaal ended perfectly. All the story threads were wrapped up.

A sequel would just sour that. It didn't need an ending to set up that sequel because it was the end of the Bhaalspawn saga. If there was a sequel it'd just feel incredibly cheap.

Not really. I suppose if you need your isomeetric fix, than get Diablo 3 when it's out (that is if you're fine that it need to be online when you're playing it).

Doitpow:
By all that is holy I miss isometric perspective.

Baldur's Gate, Red Alert 2, Age of Empires 2, Diablo 1 and 2, Fallout 1 and 2. Pretty much 90% of all decent PC gaming experiences used it back in the day. Man isometric perspective rocked.

Why does no one make isometric RPGs anymore? Even on handheld's they're super rare. The iPhone should have at least one decent one.
Why does every RTS need to be able to swing cameras around like crazy? They don't. It's stupid.

So yeah...Anyone with me?
miss isometric?
Want it back?
what were your favorite isometric games?

Was it the isometric perspective that made the game great or the game itself?
Alot of games used the isometric perspective.But if fallout had a rotatable overhead-view would it have been worse than if it had a locked isometric view?

Well seen as how the games that use it haven't been all destroyed and actually make up a large portion of my PC games, I don't miss them at all. I still play them, although not half as much as my non-isometric console games.
Why do you miss them... did someone steal them from you?

endtherapture:

Baldur's Gate 2 Throne of Bhaal ended perfectly. All the story threads were wrapped up.

A sequel would just sour that. It didn't need an ending to set up that sequel because it was the end of the Bhaalspawn saga. If there was a sequel it'd just feel incredibly cheap.

As I said, it doesn't need to have the same lead characters.
You don't play the same character in Fallout 2 which you ended Fallout with, for instance, but Fallout 2 is still a great game.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked